November 26, 2014 | 987 users online

Styling Products - Jonathan - Silky Dirt

rated 4 of 5 on 3/25/2013 1:33:00 PM More reviews by Boodababe

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Grey, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have been using this for years. I have tried other products & always come back to this. I have chin length, layered in a bob hair with a slight natural wave/curl. I always air dry my hair. This keeps the frizz away & has just enough control to keep my soft waves in place. You just need a bit, about the size of a pea. If I need to refresh the style after an hour long yoga/pilates class in the swimming pool, I just moisten my hands & scrunch the waves. It has a nice faintly almond scent. Sephora no longer carries it, but I found it at Drugstore.com. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/10/2012 7:12:00 PM More reviews by cgw1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

This stuff is AMAZING. I bought it based on MUA reviews and I don't regret it. I have fine medium-long hair that has been chemically straightened but I have been growing it out for a year so half my hair is curly and the other half is straight. This makes it a nightmare to style, but silky dirt makes so much difference. I put a pea size amt in my hair while it's damp then blow dry it using a flat brush. The result is touchable wavy hair that is not all over the place. If I want to straighten it I add a little more silky dirt afterwards to the ends to make it sort of piecey. This stuff gives you the manageability of next-day hair without any greasiness or crispiness. LOVE this stuff. One drawback is the smell. VERY strong scent of sweet almond or something. I personally like it, but it definitely competes with any perfume I wear. I can't stop smelling my hair though haha.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2011 10:19:00 AM More reviews by luloo

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

This product is what I wanted the Fekkai glossing cream to be. This is the only thing I've found so far that tames my poofy, frizz-prone wavy hair, which I air-dry. It works great on wet or dry hair. Just be careful not to use too much, a little goes a long way with this, but no matter how much of the Fekkai I used, my hair stayed frizz-prone, and would get greasy easily if I used too much, whereas this really helps frizz and is not prone to making your hair look greasy unless you overdo it. You do have to be a little careful, because after you wash your hair, sometimes it will need less of this than others, because it does stay in the hair somewhat. You can't expect to use exactly the same amount every time is what I mean, or you might get buildup. You have to go based on how your hair feels, or wait until it's dry. I think ideally the consistency of this would be a little less thick, though, but it performs quite well.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/28/2010 8:27:00 AM More reviews by MsLove

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

My hair is healthy, fine, dense, wavy, I typically wear it flat ironed straight or pulled back into a bun or ponytail. I used this product as a finishing product, after hair had been styled. I believe it is for people who like to have a "peicy" look, and need aproduct with some staying power.

I used it after styling my hair if I wanted to tame flyaways - not even a pea sized amount would be effective for the whole day. I also used it on the ends of my hair to add volume (aka 2nd day messy hair). It worked very well for that purpose.

I liked the smell. It is sweet. The smell is actually caused by the Sweet Almond Oil, which is a key ingredient in the product to help avoid dry strands.

At $30 a tube it is very expensive, but when you consider how little you need, I imagine this could easily last for well over 1 year for those with medium-long hair. You don't use a lot.

I would repurchase, but probably the trial sized amount since I don't use it much, and when I do, it is never a lot.

Water (Aqua), Cyclopentasiloxane, Cetearyl Alcohol, Vegetable Oil (Olus), Propylene Glycol, Tribehenin, Ceteareth-25, PEG-35 Castor Oil, Cyclohexasiloxane, VP/VA Copolymer, Tridecyl Stearate, Alcohol Denat., Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea Butter), Fragrance (Parfum), Dipentaerythrityl Hexacaprylate/Hexacaprate, Synthetic Beeswax, Tridecyl Trimellitate, Polyglyceryl-3 Diisostearate, Polyglyceryl-2 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Dimethiconol, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Hydrolyzed Sweet Almond Protein, Glycerin, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Extract, Hydrogenated Coco-Glycerides, Irvingia Gabonensis Kernel Butter, Octyldodecanol, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Water, Rosa Centifolia Flower Water, Camellia Sinensis (White Tea) Leaf Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Fruit Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Seed Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus (Lemongrass) Extract, Gardenia Tahitensis (Tahitian Gardenia) Flower Extract, Punica Granatum (Pomegranate) Extract, Citrus Grandis (Grapefruit) Fruit Extract, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Ocimum Basilicum (Basil) Extract, Glyceryl Oleate, Euphorbia Cerifera (Candelilla) Wax (Candelilla Cera), Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Triethanolamine, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Tetrasodium EDTA, Benzophenone-3, Pentaerythrityl Tetra-di-t-butyl Hydroxyhydrocinnamate, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, Mica (CI 77019), Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Alcohol, Limonene.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2009 6:17:00 PM More reviews by Navessa

i have long, thick, color-treated hair. i like to use this after i've straightened my hair. makes it look a lil undone and not so squeaky clean. perfect for the "bed head" look.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/4/2009 2:41:00 PM More reviews by nklaw

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

I really like this for what (I thought) it was advertised for -- giving hair separation at the ends and calming flyaways. I use this VERY sparingly and mainly just at the ends of my hair to give it that "piecey" look. I also put a tiny bit on palms and very very gently run them over the top of my head to pat down flyaways. It works great for both of these things. However, I do NOT think this is a product that would do well at all if I put a large amount through my whole head of hair (as it sounds like some of the unfavorable reviewers did). This product has a heavy and somewhat sticky texture, so I can't imagine that would work well at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/1/2009 5:07:00 PM More reviews by ulula

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This works really well with my wavy-curly, coarse, thick hair but I'm not so sure it would work as well with other hair types like fine, limp hair or curly hair that is straightened. I think it should be labeled as a wave enhancing product because it will strongly define any waves or structure your hair naturally has. It seems to give you second day after washing, beach hair which for curly or wavy girls is a great thing but for others not so much. If your hair looks better after a day at the beach buy it. If it doesn't avoid it.
I also have to say the cherry-almond smell is very strong and lingers for quite some time. If you enjoy products like Carol's Daughter that have natural but strong perfumes and scented hair products you will probably like the way this product scents the hair (I do). However if you are sensitive or allergic to scents be forewarned that this product is strongly scented.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/15/2009 9:44:00 PM More reviews by niclyf

I was a hardcore regular Dirt girl .. until Jonathan came out with this masterpiece, and the regular one has now taken 2nd place behind this one. Silky Dirt gives the same wonderful definition, except it's just a smidge less harsh and applies better because it has a lighter texture than the original. I can't say I'm wild about the scent, but it's not very overbearing and the finishing look is what I look for more than fragrance. Overall, HUGE raves on this goodness!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/10/2009 3:30:00 PM More reviews by 800256

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I use this occasionally when I do a ponytail. It keeps my frizzes at bay and provides a sleek and shine look. BUT there is a playdoh kind of smell to it that I notice when I squeeze a dollop out to style my hair. But I don't understand were the weird smell would come from if it's 100% vegan with all natural ingredients. It's an ok product but would be even better if the smell wasn't present. It might be nauseating to those not fond of Playdoh like me. It's $28 for 3.35 oz tube so it is pricey, so get a sample first if you can.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2009 11:50:00 AM More reviews by SusanMary

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have been using this product for about 6 months. It works very well for my short, layered, messy, bed-head kind of cut. My hair is colored and dry. It gives me the piecey definition my style needs and give it more shine than a lot of the more matte products.

I never noticed an objectionable smell to it. It does require very little to work and it is best to start at the back of the head. Depending on hair length, squeeze a dime-sized amount (or less) into your hands, rub them together and start running them through the back of your hair, moving to the sides and then the front. Avoid the roots or it will drag your hair down.

My guess, based on reviews, is that this product works best for dry, short hair. Or just on the ends of long hair.