April 21, 2014 | 979 users online

Fragrances - Guy Laroche - Fidji

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/4/2014 9:20:00 AM More reviews by zeynepd

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I like aldehydic , fuzzy fragrances and my recent interest in Chanel No 5 has led me to my stash where I have a used decant of vintage Fidji. To me it is delicious, interesting and despite the ageist comments this kind of fragrance sometimes receives, whenever I wear Fidji I am told that I smell delicious or sassy.
Like many fragrances of this genre, Fidji opens with a near explosion of aldehydes, this time with slightly fruity undertones on my skin. Then it gives that fuzzy vibe. Aldehydes here are not the ultimate clean notes but Fidji does not develop an animalic character on my skin either. I think it is somewhere between more classical interpretations like Nina Riccis radiant Farouche and modernised, absolutely cleaned aldehydic fragrances like Amouage Dia or Boadicea Divine. Somewhere between these two ends, Fidji offers a slightly sweet, slightly floral, slightly powdery and breezy experience that is versatile and suitable for all seasons. You can wear Fidji with a leather jacket and a scarf, or you can wear it on naked, warmed up skin in the summers when it becomes a sassy skinscent with just a little bit of edge and a pleasant musky base. It makes me think of a sleeping tiger cub or red sand dunes.
Low to medium sillage and medium lasting power of 5 hours on my skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/6/2013 11:05:00 AM More reviews by Kysyona

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I got a tiny amount of this juice (vintage EdT) in a perfume set of unfinished bottles on Ebay - a 10 ml amount or so, and I raise my hat to every single one of them: it's so bountiful, self-sufficient and just one big olfactive celebration! Yes, you know right away it's old school ( same musky bordering on dusty bottom level as in Rive Gauche or Air du Printemps ), but it's somehow very appropriate here, creating an allusion of a humid hot air cloud one steps into exiting the plane, hopeful of an incredible holiday adventure to begin happening instantly. What left me gobsmacked is the ambiguity of this scent, Firstly, it is moist and powder-dry simultaneously. It is like that contradiction of an underripe pear: you bite into its juicy flesh and it somehow leaves that sandpaper feel in the mouth that leaves you gasping for a drink. Secondly, it is green and white and sweet and minty all at the same time: I actually suspect that the listed lemon note should rather be lime, because it is lime that carries that minty kick and disrupts the sweet and powdery cloud of white florals and clove ( clove - in a summer scent: who could have expected?!). I felt like a million dollars wearing it, it did cause some flashbacks from the childhood, so perhaps it was resting in my olfactive memory all along, and I found it worked best on warm cloudy rainy summer days: it just hit the nail on the head in terms of working with the skin temperature ( sillage just the right amount, longevity exactly as one would expect - 6-7 hrs , and it keeps on living for weeks on fabrics ). I also tested the modern version in a dept. store and I can't even begin to explain how bleak and characterless it is in comparison to its original. ) Hunting for a vintage extrait and would only use it for veeeery festive open air summer occasions. Hardly a young scent: it has waaaay too much "secret female knowldege" in it, if you know what I mean. ;-)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/30/2012 6:37:00 AM More reviews by Meshmmesha772000

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I wanted to write a review expressing my childhood memories with this amazing perfume but a reviewer here MellyHelly just said what I have always thought of , this is not just a 70's typical smell , this is the perfume of a sophistacted , working "lady " who still manages to have wonderful family while being chic and beautiful at the same time , this is not a perfume for the haggard looking , savage working woman we see today , it's like and island of femininity ; floral , warm , captivating but not fierce or loud at all ..I remember saving money to buy it for my Mom on Mother's day when I was 10 ..The so elegant and beautiful package that just defined how my Mom seemed to me back then , with her brown and beige coats , silk blouses and high heels but still managing to prepare my school lunch :)
I wish to find it again to buy it for her ...

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2010 11:49:00 AM More reviews by Meg2005

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Fidji is a beautiful green floral perfume which I fondly remember as my first departure from L'Air du Temps. How guilty I felt when my *collection* suddenly doubled in size, two bottles instead of just one! I was living with my maternal Grandparents at the time, whom I dearly loved - strict disciplinarians who never cared how much money I spent on books, but fripperies such as perfume were a different matter, and gently frowned upon. I saw eye to eye with them. L'Air du Temps was happiness in a bottle anyway, why should I have looked further? I shall never forget the day I realized my bottle was running very low, and attempted to repurchase; however I could not find it locally just then, while Fidji was all the rage and easily obtainable. I bought a small 30 ml splash bottle and haven't been without it since. The currently available version is perhaps more transparent, somewhat lighter than previous incarnations, yet definitely up to standard, very true to form, and just as beautiful.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/5/2010 2:18:00 AM More reviews by Angela1013

Fidji smells reminiscent of L'air du temps edp. Yes it does!, it's the green notes in Fidji that make it a little different from Ldt but they both smell very similar to my nose. I'm using the roll on perfume oil of Fedji, It's pretty and I'm sure it will travel well, but I love my L'air du temps much more as far as white florals are concerned.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2009 5:43:00 AM More reviews by MellyHelly

For people around my age Fidji is one of those scents smelled in your childhood that you can't simply forget, because they entered your olfactive sub-consciuos background when you were not used to rationalise just everything but just smelled your mom and loved the way she smelled.
Mu mother wore Fidji, both in summer with silk dresses and in winter with a beige coat with a real prairie dog neck (not sensitivity towards animals at that time!) and high-heels maroon shoes.
She looked so sophisticated to me!
Ok, that was not a rare and overpriced perfume. It could be chemical too and perfume-y. Nevertheless both Fidji and Drakkar Noir (cheap!) established a track for whatever came later, building an olfactive memory and related feminine/masculin trends for many scents after.
Fidji has floral notes, very fragrant and exotic, but not beachy. Actually it has nothing of the typical tropical beachy suntan lotion smell. It doesn't even smell of carnal creamy white flowers like gardenia.
Fidji is a whift of breezy flowers and soft woods. Not sweet, actually quite dry and aldehydic, but much more mellow than usual dry scents.
It changes a lot on different skins. It didn't smell so good on me like it smelled on my mother. Green notes in Fidji on me became harsh and wild, while they stayed very calm and dreamy on her.
I can see how it seems so '70s now, still I don't think it in a bad way. It's perfectly wearable now like then.
Once there were many products in the line. They also had small, lushous humifying serviettes packed in single bags you could bring along and that conjured up images of elegant ladies dressed in silks arriving at some dusty colonial train station somewhere in the East... Ok, I was an imaginative child!
The bottle with the black ribbon was great, essentially feminine and their ad was very evocative. also the one with Linda Evangelista.
I really like the idea of a woman like a secret island you can smell! Power of marketing and power of a good scent.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/13/2008 12:55:00 AM More reviews by moorkitty

Fidji is the perfect signature scent, exotic but fresh and green. Beautiful, elegant and sexy without shouting. I wore it in my early 20's but haven't been able to find it for years. Now I see it is on fragrancenet.com

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2008 1:35:00 AM More reviews by luckylouie

Fidji is a lovely "green" floral that does remind me of evening tropical breezes. I wear it occasionally in summer when the weather is too hot for more overpowering florals or anything with too much musk or spices. The aldehydes and woods stop this from ever being cloying and although one spray lasts nearly all day it never becomes sickly, even in hot weather. Much as I like it, I don't desperately love it, which is why I have ticked that I would not rebuy. This is because I have other summer perfumes that suit me better and I am paring down my perfume collection to a more manageble size (stop laughing!!!). This perfume pairs well with casual clothes in natural fibres and light or bright colours, please don't wear it with browns and greys. Think resort wear, unstructured linen separates, wide brimmed hats and a bit of good quality costume jewelry.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/20/2008 9:53:00 PM More reviews by holisticzen

I really can't stand this, it smells cheap and reminiscent of the 70's to me. I'd actually find it offensive on someone else, I think.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/11/2008 8:28:00 PM More reviews by MissLori

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Not to be glib, but this smells like the 1970s. To my nose, this comes off as very dated, sharp and stale. Reminds me of the teachers' lounge back in junior high (minus all the cigarette smoke!) I hate to be the dissenter on Fidji, but this is not at all what I was expecting based on the reviews. Maybe it's a chemistry thing, or just personal taste, but I don't care for this scent at all. I don't get amazing, fresh, clean -- any of those things -- just perfumey aldhydes ruining what might possibly have been a nice scent.