October 24, 2014 | 1844 users online

Skincare - Face - La Roche Posay - Effaclar Astringent Micro-Exfoliant Lotion

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2014 4:15:00 PM More reviews by cherryme

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I kind of like this exfoliant but honestly it wa sjust too drying and made my skin flake. My skin looked clear whenever I used it, every few days, but I couldn't get over the flakes.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/23/2014 3:13:00 PM More reviews by daisydaisys

High alcohol content and therefore very drying. First La roche-posay product that I've thought was really not up to scratch.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/25/2014 7:52:00 AM More reviews by georgiasaffron

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

So the majority of reviews on this seem really bad, but please don't be put off! I know that sounds stupid but just listen to my experience. I had a pretty thorough skin care routine, I used a balm cleanser, then a cream cleanser, a spritzing toner, effeclar duo plus, anti redness serum and a moisturiser, I tried my best to follow the rule of Caroline hirons (if you haven't read her blog, go!! it will change your life and your skins) anyway my skin still wasn't in the condition I wanted, I had flaky patches that ruined the look of my foundation, spot scars that wouldn't budge and almost the guarentee of a couple of new spots everyday! So I went back to Caroline's blog and one of her main things along side double cleansing was double toning, so again I went to look at the pixi glow tonic which is a micro exfoliant and was about to buy it when it went out of stock again!!! So I went to my Saturday job at boots and noticed this straight away saying exfoliant toner, I was unsure as I had never read any reviews and I tend to never buy products without checking reviews, on a whim I bought it! I got home and disappointingly read the reviews and was almost scared to use the product due to the horror stories of butter faces or blotchy skin! I then saw car online had said about facial oils, I looked up the benefits and they are the choice of makeup artists, luckily I found an unopened sanctuary facial oil in my mums room and decided to try this along side the toner! So my ski care routine stayed basically the same but I used the la Roche posay toner as my first toner and simply sprayed my botanical one on my face, I but about four drops of the oil on before moisturiser when I go to bed and either one or two in the morning. Now I may have only done this routine for about 4 days, but it has changed my skins dramatically and I love it!!! The Sunday morning when I applied my foundation there was no flaking and my skin felt amazing!! I put this down to the oil! But when I use this toner I can feel it working on my skin, I only use it on my t-zone because that's where all my problems are, I haven't exfoliated for months because I didn't want to use scrubs on my skins and aggrivate it but this works wonders the texture of my skins was smoother after just one use! I haven't had any new spots and scars seem to be fading! If you are having trouble with excess oil due to this toner, please please please use a facial oil, no they don't make you skin even more oily, they can actually rebalance the skins moisture and leaves you skins looking amazing!! So for anyone who has slightly sensitive skin, which is combination and you get spots in your t-zone area this should work for you like it did for me! The la Roche posay entire line can be quite drying but you just need to restore the moisture!! This is a fantastic alternative to the pixi glow tonic, and aqua gold, I know I have never tried them but it does the same thing and is at cheaper and easier to get hold of!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2013 6:15:00 AM More reviews by marlyyy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I have only used this product once, but I love it already! What I love the most about this toner is that it smells lovely, and the smell is pretty much gone upon application. I find this is important in skin products and a lot of scents are too strong for me and I therefore have trouble finding products that I can use... Secondly it feels sooo refreshing! Makes my skin feel so clean however be careful when applying around the eye area, I got to close to my eyes and it's a little sore but other than that a definitely a HG product. I would 100% repurchase, especially with that price tag!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/6/2013 3:12:00 PM More reviews by AstridAllegra

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

it seems to me that people either love this product or hate it! I personally love it and it works wonders for me what is somewhat surprising since my skin is sahara dry and the main ingredients in this tonic is alcohol denat! I'm guessing many people struggle with it because of the infamous alcohol denat which is veeeeery obvious from the first moment you soak your cotton bud with the product. what I would advise is to apply it JUST to the places where you are most prone to breakout instead of applying it all over your face thus dehydrating it even more regardless of your skin type. For me this is a lovely product, very potent at keeping your acne and blemishes at bay. not sure if it would work on cystic acne because the formulation is mainly salicylic acid which is not as potent as benzoyl peroxide per se that is great for battling those stubborn acne. Effaclar astringent is great product for maintaining the status of your acne rather that actively healing it. I did noticed that after using it for couple of months my blemish spots have become a bit lighter that is i don't scar as much as I used to. Overall l give it a 4/5 :)))

rated 1 of 5 on 6/9/2012 7:45:00 PM More reviews by LSW

Big issue with this product is that it contains denat. Alcohol which drys skin out and causes breakouts in some people.

This broke me out each time I used it so I can't recommend this product for sensitive, rosecea and oily skin. Far too harsh!

rated 1 of 5 on 12/14/2011 1:13:00 PM More reviews by marieorange

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Ok, two words : Alcohol Denat! It have been more than 10 years now since I first began to have acne. I have tried so many products, but this one is the worse. I didn't know when I purchased it that my skin was very reactive to alcohol like developing cystic acne (wich I never had before) and very very dry skin (it started to peel). Now I know that alcohol with my skin equal breakouts. Oh and it was not the ''phase'' when all the dirt and anything is suppose to resurface. I used this product two months and when I contacted La Roche Posay, they agreed that the product didn't work for me and they refunded me.

Since that time, I stopped using the products that I have that contain alcohol and I have less acne than before. I'm kind of grateful to this product from causing me cystic acne, I never would have discovered that alcohol made ​​my acne worse.

rated 2 of 5 on 8/21/2011 5:17:00 AM More reviews by EB1989

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I started using this toner about a month ago with my usual cleanser and the Effaclar M moisturiser. I have oily, acne prone skin and in the past I have had terrible breakouts around the chin area but over the last 6 months the chin acne cleared up.

At first I thought this product was fine. I did start to have new breakouts every day but I have to admit I did not at first connect it to this product. Last night I used this product on the T Zone alone without using the LRP Effaclar M mattifying moisturiser like I usually do. When I woke up this morning my T Zone where I had used the product was more greasy and oily than ever before. Like someone said in one of the previous reviews it was literally like I had put butter on my skin. I can only assume it is because of this product. I think maybe it is too astringent so that it causes the skin to produce more oil. I won't use it again but I will probably continue to use the moisturiser in the day time to reduce shininess.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/21/2011 1:46:00 PM More reviews by liljeavkan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used Effaclar Purifying Foaming Gel for Oily and Sensitive Skin, Astringent Lotion Micro-Exfoliating and M Compensating Soothing Moisturizer for 5 days-day and night in june. My pores were tightened but when i use the toner and the moisturizer, my face shines more and gets more oily than before - it's like ther's butter on my face. Also the products turned my pink cheeks into very very very RED cheeks :( I used to use L'Oreal Pure Zone & Avon Clearskin series. Pure Zone toner includes alcohol, Avon's toner is an astringent toner too but they've never ever made an allergic effect on my face or made my cheeks hyper red, not even a little bit reddish. Then i decided to use them only at night, for 15 nights, so during day my cheeks are no longer red but still i couldn't see a big difference between LRP and Avon or L'Oreal on tightening pores. And Avon and L'oreal are MUCH MORE cheaper. After about a month i stopped using these products in a row. If i use the gel i use Avon Clearskin Blackhead Eliminating Daily Astringent Toner (when i do that gel is ok but it's still pricy), if i use L'Oreal cleanser i use Effaclar toner and Neutrogena Oil-Free Moisture, etc. If you have a very oily face with pinky (not rosacea) cheeks do not waste your money on these products. I'm not gonna buy LRP Effaclar again and i'll never recommend it to somenone. PS: I think LRP HAS TO write down that Effaclar products can irritate even if your skin is not sensitive.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/1/2010 5:52:00 AM More reviews by eurodivas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

I found this product to be highly irritating and did not use it long enough to be able to tell if it had any effect on enlarged pores. Upon application it burned my skin causing me to rinse immediately. This is not a product for individuals with sensitive skin. I am a bit surprised that a Dermo line would offer such an irritant.

Lately I have been using La Roche Posay Effaclar Clarifying-Soothing Toner (Effaclar Klärende Reinigungs Lotion) which is excellent and does a great job of cleansing my skin. I must added that I have not seen this version of the toner on the La Roche Posay site in the US. Could be that it will be introduced later.