October 25, 2014 | 1820 users online

Fragrances - Banana Republic Beauty - rosewood

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2012 2:29:00 AM More reviews by maliciousdelicious

I do like powdery fragrances and this quickly became one of my favourites. It lasts a really long time even in hot humid weather. And the box it comes in looks like a tree trunk which makes a really cute decoration.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/1/2012 8:20:00 PM More reviews by aqua76239

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I smelled this couple of years ago for the first time on my brother-in-law's girfriend and had to try it for myself. Yes, it was nice but powdery scents are not my thing so I never bought it. Fast forward to this weekend when I was at BR and saw some travel sizes of their fragrances and there were few Rosewood left. Sold!
Bergamot, and tea? I would have never guessed. I thought vanilla had to be in the notes but I guess not. Essentially it smells like powdery vanilla with woodsy undertones. There is a hint of bergamot on the top but honestly, if I didn't see it in the notes, I don't think I would have detected it. This is very cozy and comforting scent, kind of like wrapping a plush blanket around yourself on a cold winter day. Someone mentioned it reminds them of Cashmere Mist and I can see that-its the same kind of cosy, soft, powdery scent. I was surprised to find out that its rather long lasting since most of fragrances nowdays end up dissappearing very quickly but Rosewood has great lasting power and siliage(while its not overpowering, it did last 4-5 hours on me). Incidentally, it also reminds me of Curve Crush bY Liz Claiborne except Rosewood is more sophisticated and elegant smelling

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2012 9:00:00 PM More reviews by amnahp12

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

One of my favorite fragrances. I used to spray this on myself all the time when I worked at Banana Republic, even after I bought myself a bottle [he he], and it will forever remind me of that store and company. This is an elegant, musky, woody floral with a hint of sugar and spice. I'm not a 'nose,' so I have trouble distinguishing notes, but this fragrance is very sophisticated, with more than a touch of feminine girlishness present in the vanilla and sugar. For those of you misled by the name, there is no rose scent in this. On my skin, the white tea leaves are quite strong and add a sharp, spicy note to the soft muskiness. We all found that it smelled nicer on my skin than it did on most people or especially on the tester cards, so let it mellow on your skin before you judge. I do not like any of the other BR Beauty scents AT ALL, but this one stands out a mile. Don't let it scare you that it comes from a 'store,' big names design their fragrances, and they have the big pricetags to boot. Sigh :(

As for the packaging - I love the cylindrical wooden case it comes in; it's sturdy and elegant, but huge and kind of pointless. Granted, I store my perfume in there as I NEVER wear it [afraid of using it up! They don't sell 100ml, and last I checked my 50ml was $60CAD before tax]. The bottle itself leaves much to be desired - it's round and flat, with a cute leather-wrapped topper, but the glass is kind of thin and the bottle unremarkable. Would be lovely with a more prominent base and a frosted finish, I think.

PS, I should add .... something very strange about how I associate this scent; I guess most people would think of offices or romantic dates or something of the sort, since it's such a soft and sweet scent, but the innoence of that combined with the random smattering of woody spice reminds me, for some bizarre reason, of Adventureland at Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. It's the sugary sweet, innocent, artificial but lovely jungle/fantasy world. WORLDS apart from marketing/popular conception, but in some weird way, I just realized that that, plus the store, are what I get from this scent. As it dries down, I'd relate it to ...umm ...okay, keeping on the Disney stream, Princess Aurora. Woodsy, musky, feminine, etc.

Weird association. But those random things happen some days, I guess. Lol.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2012 2:54:00 AM More reviews by ShellyMum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Green

I received a 4 pack of mini Banana Republic fragrances and have decided to review them all at once. The stars rated will be for the one it's filed under. ROSEWOOD (2006): Notes, Bergamot, champagne, white tea leaves, vanilla, sandalwood, and white amber. I like Rosewood, itís a sweet musky, powdery floral oriental scent. It is quite unusual to my nose but in a good way. I will definitely wear this one. For those looking for an actual rosewood scent, you wonít find it here. I donít smell any actual rosewood. Try Amarige by Givenchy for a better rosewood scent. ALABASTER (2006): Notes, Lotus flower, wild rose and warm musk. This is a nice clean rose scent. It reminds me a lot of True Love by Elizabeth Arden. Itís nothing spectacular but Iíd still wear it if Iím in the mood for a fresh, clean rose scent. MALACHITE (2007): Notes, Water hyacinth, pepper, green mango, imperial peony, winter pear, rose, carnation, sandalwood, vanilla and musk. I found this one to be very interesting and loved it the best of all the 4 scents. It is a lovely soapy, classy scent. It is a bit peppery too, which is different to other soapy scents Iíve owned in the past. Lastly, CLASSIC (1995): Notes, Herbal notes, bergamot, pink grapefruit, clementine, honeysuckle, ginger, white musk and woody notes. This one was my least favourite of the 4. It is marketed as a unisex scent but on me, it just smells like a horrid spicy lemon scent. I wore it a couple of times, just to be certain, but each time found myself running to scrub it off. My nose just couldnít like it. Oh well, liking 3 out of 4 isnít bad odds I guess.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2011 1:50:00 PM More reviews by JennaMary

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

THE BEST! If I had to choose only one perfume for the rest of my life it would be rosewood. The smell is amazing, it's really oriental and very sexy. Plus it stays really long

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2011 8:41:00 PM More reviews by gienwong2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This smells so yummy. I dabbed this fragrance before I went to church. I kept smelling something yummy and thought that someone was baking goodies in the kitchen. When I smelled my wrist, I realized it was me that smelled so delicious.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/5/2011 7:58:00 PM More reviews by eaugirlspirit

This is more powdery than I thought, but still remains true to its name- wrapping oneself in the aura of rosewood. After I get past the initial powdery blast, this fragrance transports me to the redwood forest; I see beautiful mossy greens and red trees and smell the rosewood. It is earthy, wet and should be a fall/spring fragrance. Romantic and intensely woody.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/31/2010 10:55:00 PM More reviews by sarahhjosephinee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I got this for Christmas and it smells lovely!
Not overpowering, and doesn't give me a headache when I think about putting it on, like some do.

Highly recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/16/2010 2:13:00 AM More reviews by colfaxt

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Have been through 6 of these in 2 years, love this scent, amazing everytime some hugs me they go your "YUMMY" or the other in the stores is what is that, and I tell them to smell me and they cant believe how good it is. LOVE IT I guess everyone found out about it, cause it was cheaper in the beginning!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/4/2010 9:09:00 PM More reviews by Melloney

I liked this the best out of all their scents. It's an addictive wood musk fragrance, versatile and attractive. It's not a masterpiece but it's highly wearable by both sexes. It's got a good price point and available in smaller bottles too. A perfectly respectable scent.