Shiseido Very High Sun Protection Cream SPF 50

3.8

on 5/25/2015 2:05:00 PM

Initially I felt this was a bit pricy for a bottle of sunscreen but this stuff WORKS. The consistency may seem 'watery' but little goes a long way and it's light and non-greasy. Normally I use this only for my face daily but on trips to the Caribbean/Central America I use it all over.

This is the ONLY reason I survived the snorkeling trips in the Galapagos Islands without getting a burn. Everyone sunscreened up but I was the only person who didn't suffer the strong sun closer to the equator.

My (sunscreen adverse) man loves this stuff too.

Bravo Shiseido!

on 5/25/2015 1:09:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

I will not be repurchasing-- for the price (~$40/50mL) I am sure I can get something I like more. To give credit where credit is due, it has stood up to 10K runs in the blazing sun and putting it on is pleasant. It is smooth and not greasy upon initial application although it wears off kinda funny when exposed to sweat or water-- it makes my face feel grainy. One of my pet peeves about this product is that whenever I wear it on my neck and shoulders, my long hair gets coated in a nasty, sticky residue that is very difficult to remove. Oh, and there is definitely a noticeable white cast.

All in all, a very effective heavy duty sunblock but with enough peccadilloes that I'll look elsewhere.

on 11/30/2012 1:17:00 PM

I bought this product with high hopes after reading reviews here for the ultimate sun cream 50+ and how good it was for people with acne prone skin so I decided to buy it.Huge mistake!!!
The texture is really thick,the smells is chemical and bad and also very expensive.It was way too difficult to blend ,very sticky and very strange.At beginning the finish was matte but before to finish my MUA my t-zone looks like an oil slick,and few minutes later my entire face was very greasy-sticky.I tried varying the amount applied but the results are always the same...sticky and shiny face all day long. The finish is horrible with very strong white cast
and with foundation/powder on top looks like i have clay on my face.
Also after few days this product burn my cheeks really bad..i suppose because of this being so chemical.
I would give this zero lipies but the minimum is 1.I am very dissapointed!!!
I got really terrible time while using this and now i will throw 40euro right in garbage.I hate wasting money!!
From last summer i use LaRochePosay Meltincream..is not really matte but it does have a very good protection SPF 50+ PPD 28,is gentle with my skin (sensitiv and acne prone skin-hormonal cystic acne) and good price(the European version of course).So i will stay with my LRP for sure.

on 6/17/2011 5:51:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

NOO I donīt like this! it contains alcohol! = it can irritate your skin and dry it out + it stays on top of my skin as a white layer that canīt be absorbed.
Better go for a product w/o alcohol and that contains physical sunscreens.

on 3/3/2009 7:59:00 PM

I have switched between this and Shiseido's Smooth SPF 36 for a few years now. I love that Japanese brands actually have a rating for the UVA protection (usually shown as something like PA+++ on the packaging), which is the type of sun exposure that gets BELOW the surface of the skin and causes photoaging. SPF ratings just refer to sunburn protection. I wish all other companies would use this system! If they don't...I simply don't try it.
Back to the product...
PROS:
-no breakouts
-no burning (even after spending a week on a beach in Hawaii!!!!)
-soft matte finish
-does leave a sheer white cast...but I am so pale that it works for me by evening out my skintone.
-It works and has definitely helped my skin stay nice and unwrinkled. I'm 36 and look about 10 years younger.
CONS:
-you have to use an extra cleanser to remove it. I usually use the oil cleanser by DHC, which is nice and doesn't cause breakouts
-it's a bit drying...but not as drying as others that I've used, so I stick with the Shiseido.

****It works and has definitely helped my skin stay nice and unwrinkled. I'm 36 and look about 10 years younger.

on 11/7/2008 12:54:00 AM

My HG. For an easy-to-get-burned skin like me, this line's the best I've tried.Even better than Anessa line. The texture is creammy and soft. Very easy to apply. The smell is ok. Like a lotion when you apply. Somehow it dry down and in the evening, you will know that it smell ultimately like a sunscreen. That doesn't bother me though. I live in a beach town and this line's a god send for me. A little bit drying though, but I already have dry skin.

on 9/16/2008 5:14:00 PM

Pros : Works well under liquid makeup- almost primer like, no breakouts, dries quickly, no white-ish cast, nice smell, not too "lardy" to apply, good sun protection (for me anyway - my skin has become far more even since i began using this), finishes up matte.

Cons:Not VERY moisturising, can settle into lines, hard to get out of my hairline, leaves white marks on clothing (when pulling a t-shirt over my head!), a little expensive, lid on the tube isnt the best - its hard to close &feels flimsy.

All in all i like this and intend to make it a staple in my skincare arsenal.

EDIT: it seems this has been reformulated much to my dismay, it now doesnt seem to work well under my MU. its is almost bluey-white upon application and take FOREVER to wear into my skin. Im going to my local Shiseido counter today just incase i got a bad tube......i will update this review after.

on 8/5/2008 9:18:00 PM

Pros:
- Texture is good
- Doesn't sting eyes if you sweat a little
- Very water proof
- Great if you're not exposed to the sun for extended periods of time

Cons:
- PPD rating isn't the highest for people who need maximum sun protection
- Not sure how photostable the sunscreen is

This was one of my favorite sunscreens until I figured out the PPD rating. I live in Hawai'i and we have a lot of UV action going on down here, not to mention I walk everywhere. So in my quest to find a sunscreen this was one of the best I could find at the time. It's great if you're not highly exposed to the sun. But if you're like me, acne prone, have acne scars, and live in a place with tons of UV rays then this sunscreen isn't your best bet.

**I'm currently trying LRP fluide extreme SPF 50+ PPD 28. (Costly but hopefully worth the money) I'll post a review about two months from now.

on 7/21/2008 9:52:00 AM

I have combination skin. This thick cream goes onto my skin matte but within about an hour my t-zone looks like an oil slick. I also end up with cystic acne after a couple of days of using this product. Having said that, it certainly blocks the sun.

on 5/19/2008 11:52:00 PM

This is still the best sunblock for the face- no oilies & breakouts
next to my list is Heliocare spf 50 but I think shiseido is better & more stable=)

Top Rated Shiseido Products