November 28, 2014 | 1280 users online

Fragrances - Bath and Body Works - Sensual Amber EDT

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2014 4:09:00 PM More reviews by Ebeth76

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Well this is the only BBW product I have ever really enjoyed, so of course they had to discontinue it. It is an inscensey type smell, either you love them or you hate them . The first one I remember loving was OM by the gap, discontinued before it's time back in the day. Also L by lolita lempicka, that's a favorite. This fall in line with those for me. Not super interesting, just nice, warm and spicy with a little sweetness perfect for fall and winter. It's like Paris Hilton's Can Can in a way. if you mixed Pink Sugar with sensual amber you would get something like Can Can, I guess you could say. Also similar to Hanae Mori in the vanilla amber sweetness, to my nose. Again, none of these are super complicated scents, nor are they identical to sensual amber, but they have a family resemblance. Sensual amber used to be the cheapest of the bunch, but now it's only available on auction type sites for around $50, which is pretty steep considering it used to be around $25.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/8/2014 10:05:00 AM More reviews by ncashen

While I enjoy the sweet woody scent of Sensual Amber EDT by Bath and Body Works, I don't classify it as a fine fragrance. That is, I don't experience complexity or changes after the "drydown" (the evaporation of alcohol and top notes).

I find that this EDT smells the same from first application to the end of the day. It has limited but decent lasting power. Like many Victoria's Secret fragrances, BBW's Sensual Amber has a static flatness about it. It's one-dimensional compared to its more artfully crafted counterparts.

Many reviewers compare Sensual Amber to Flowerbomb. While Flowerbomb isn't the most intriguing fragrance on the market today, it offers a true sensory experience or journey. As it dries down it takes you through its pyramid (three levels of notes: top, middle, and base).

My favorite fragrances evolve on my skin. For instance Opium EDP by Yves Saint Laurent (modern version) is a completely different thing an hour after it's applied. It moves and changes. In my opinion, Opium transforms into something magical, spicy, powdery, nostalgic, and sophisticated.

But back to Sensual Amber.

This BBW fragrance is pretty, soft, edible, and sweet. I enjoy it. But I would never pay more than $30 for it, because it belongs in the "shopping mall body spray" category and lacks the complexity I described before. It cannot be compared to Flowerbomb, although it does have similar notes. Let's compare them.

FLOWERBOMB NOTES:

Middle Notes
White Rose, Orange Flower, Lotus Petals, Iris

Base Notes
Amber, Creamy Sandalwood, Vanilla, Patchouli, Praline, Musk Captive

The notes do have similarities if you compare the lists. But in real life, Sensual Amber is not
at all like Flowerbomb. And the discontinued BBW fragrance Black Amethyst is not like Chanel Coco Mademoiselle (as some reviewers have also claimed).

BBW fragrances are fun. Some of them are pretty. But in this case, you get what you pay for. You get a very nice, concentrated body spray in an attractive glass bottle for less than $30. I say, enjoy these products, but don't expect too much. They will not give you the magical sensory experience that a finer fragrance will.

11 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2013 4:51:00 AM More reviews by purplescarf6

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I don't have very much to add to the previous reviews, but I though I'd chime in with my two cents on why I really enjoy this product.

I'm 16, and being in the "under 18" age group I am constantly aware of the type of fragrances marketed specifically to my age group: fun, flirty, immature fruity-florals that don't have a care in the world. These simply don't suit my introverted, thoughtful, intellectual personality. I want something classier, older, and more grown-up.

Unfortunately, I have the "under 18" budget that simply cannot afford really expensive fragrances. This is why, when I decided at 14 that I wanted to start wearing perfume, I went to my local B&BW store instead of my local Sephora. I probably tried on 3 or 4 different fragrances that I had already researched, but Sensual Amber won it out, mainly because I was so incredibly biased with all the rave reviews here on MUA.

I don't know much about fragrance notes, but I do know that at this price point it seems so much more sophisticated than most other ~$30 fragrances. Yes, it is sweet, but not the kind of overly-sweet that involves moderate amounts of nausea and one or two suppressed gags. This has happened to me WAY to many times in the girls' locker room... I've *understandably* developed a bitterness towards very sweet fragrances because of how over-applied they tend to be, because they don't have the obvious intensity of heavier fragrances.

I wore this faithfully for over a year, but I developed a case of fragrance boredom and trekked back to B&BW to pick up some Twilight Woods, the runner-up in my original quest for the perfect inexpensive fragrance. After wearing that for several months I returned to Sensual Amber, thinking "Why did I ever leave you? You were always so warm and comforting. Woods doesn't have the right kind of sweetness like you do." Case in point: my boyfriend of two years, who noticed when I first started wearing Woods, recognized when I started wearing Amber again. He wasn't sure if it was different, but he made a point to say how good it smelled. I told him it was the first one I wore and he said he liked it much better than Woods. I don't know about you ladies but I definitely take men's opinions just a little bit differently than I do women's. ;)

Overall, this deserves every bit of support it's been getting here on MUA. No, it doesn't have the designer label, or the incredible sophistication of "classic" fragrances, or days-long staying power, but for 30 bucks it smells pretty darn good to me.

The one downside I've noticed is that I've had one person (a close friend) ask if it was Sensual Amber. More people have probably recognized it but just didn't want to be potentially rude. This can be pretty recognizable, which could be a bad thing, depending on how you want to look at it. I personally like to be unique and unrecognizable, but that's just me.

To sum up, I will definitely be buying this again and again. I'm looking into inexpensive perfume oils because of their staying power, but this smells so wonderful I couldn't imagine discontinuing use of this anytime soon.

14 out of 17 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/2/2013 11:00:00 PM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love amber fragrances. Although this is not my #1, it definitely can hold a candle to other amber fragrances on the market for its price point. Sensual Amber is a smooth light boozy amber lasting a good four hours. Sillage is surprisingly good. This fragrance is a sexy, sensual scent that's cozy and warm. I get a good mixture of amber, vanilla, praline, patchouli and musk well-mixed together to create a delicious EdT.
I've ventured into Bath and Body Works recently to sample their fragrances. It's been many years since I've walked into one of their stores and I've been pleasantly surprised by the array of fragrances. I found their fragrances hit or miss but as another reviewer has said, sampling to your heart's content is encouraged. Layer a fragrance, wear it for a few hours and decide if it's right for you. That's the beauty of this store. They let you try their products. It's a positive way to sample perfume. I like that. No hassles.
Top Notes: Plum, Forest Fruits, Bergamot.
Middle Notes: Iris, Orange Blossom, White Rose, Lotus.
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Amber, Patchouli, Musk, Vanilla, Praline.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/19/2013 11:09:00 PM More reviews by Mewables

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Ick, this and warm vanilla sugar do nothing but give me a small headache. This scent seems to be very popular, but I can hardly stand it. Smells like old ladies to me, the ones who drown themselves in rose or musk. I don't mind amber playing a quieter tone with other notes, but as a main note, no. The price point for BBW edts are affordable, and often on sale. They don't last very long on the skin, though.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/7/2013 12:50:00 AM More reviews by Stark77

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

This is a delicious, warm, provocative scent. I love amber in any fragrance, and this one... Oh, man. I love it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2013 1:49:00 AM More reviews by Shanplum

This is very similar to flowerbomb and flowerbomb extreme as noted by other reviewers Spicy vanilla which is smooth and non-foody. Very nice to wear as a casual fragrance and cheap but too sweet for my tastes - not to say it's not a lovely product though just not quite me.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2013 11:43:00 AM More reviews by incognito

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is very very strong. (Like all B&BW stuff.) It's not horrible but it's not good either, very sweet to the point of nausea for me. Sometimes gives me a migraine.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/26/2012 9:44:00 PM More reviews by bubbleluscious

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have only bought a few cheaper perfumes so I can't really compare this to others. I never really knew that BBW had perfumes in their lines, I thought it was just body sprays and creams, but clearly I hadn't been through the entire store before. Anyways, they actually have great perfumes in there. But in my opinion this is the best. I can definitely smell the vanilla, and you can also detect some fruit/floral in there. At the same time though it is kind of musky/woodsy, and I really like the blend of different scents in this perfume. The packaging is really pretty, and a great reflection of the scent you would be expecting. It wasn't super strong and didn't make me feel sick or give me a headache, or irritate my skin. I love it & will very likely repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2012 9:46:00 AM More reviews by Mbryan766

I love this fragrance. It is my favorite fall/winter time scent, along with Ralph Lauren Hot. I finished this perfume last year, and I miss it dearly. So I bought the fragrance mist of the scent. I don't feel like the mist shares the complexity of the perfume, but it still has a nostalgic effect to my nose. Sensual amber (the perfume) is lovely. It is sweet, yet woodsy. It is very warm and comforting as well. According to Bath and Body Works, its notes are: Top Notes: Bergamot, Wild Berries, Succulent Plum, Mid Notes: White Rose, Orange Flower, Lotus Petals, Iris, Base Notes: Amber, Creamy Sandalwood, Vanilla, Patchouli, Praline, Musk.
I mainly smell the bottom notes in this, along with almost a syrupy goodness.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No