September 21, 2014 | 1999 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Herbal Essences Bold n Brilliant in Spicy Ginger

rated 3 of 5 on 1/31/2007 12:20:00 AM More reviews by JediEmpressMel

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I have light brown/dark blonde hair. It's never been bleached before, and was "virgin" hair. The box shows a lovely brownish red color. Unlike most boxes of dye, that have the color cue chart that shows what results you can expect for your haircolor, this one did not have anything of the sort.

My first clue should have been that the tones are Copper. Also, since this is a drugstore brand, it's not really as good as the ones at Sally Beauty.

However, I impulse bought it anyways. Mixed up the dye. Mixing it together is a snap. The bottle provided is perfect, the gloves are nice, and they even threw in a huge tube of conditioner. The dye is a good consistancy, and does not have that horrible ammonia smell that every other dye has. In fact, I would go as far as to say that this smells pleasant.

After the requisite 20 minutes, I checked my hair. Wary because of the brilliant orange shade the dye looked, I washed my hair. My hair turned out almost a good color. The problem I had was that it was WAY too orange for my taste. Maybe if I had left it on a touch less time, it would not have come off as strong.
I've pulled off red hair before, to the point where natural redheads would talk to me about my hair, compliment it, and say I was lucky to have blue eyes and red hair. This was just not a flattering shade.

After a trip to Sally Beauty to buy some red dye that has violet undertones, my hair looks really nice. This color makes a great base for the Cherry named shades, because it's so warm. But on its own, be careful you don't end up with bright flaming orange hair.

So I recommend this BRAND of product, just not this particular color. Also, I wish they would have the chart I mentioned before, so that people could better gauge what color their hair will turn when using the various colors.

rated 2 of 5 on 10/11/2006 5:54:00 PM More reviews by aeroxy82

The only reason I bought this hair color is because I had a three dollar off coupon for it, but I am glad that I did. I didn't have really high hopes when picking out a reddish-brownish color; I have naturally dark brown hair and whenever I have attempted in the past to lighten it with at home color it never works. It will show in the sunlight, but that's about it. But I thought, what the hell, why not try again? It's only five bucks. This color looks gorgeous on the box but I figured it would just add a reddish tint in the light. Boy was I wrong. The dye turns a freakish thick red color that I was concerned about but tried to remember that it doesnt matter what the dye looks like. My shower was covered in blood red dye! It did run a little and got everywhere, that's why I knocked it down a lippie. But when I went back upstairs after I was done with my shower to dry it, I literally Gasped when I saw my hair. It was lightened! This dye had actually lifted my dark brown hair! I've never tried anything like it. It looked exactly like the color on the box; I literally held the pic up to my hair and compared. My SO came over later and I thought he hadn't noticed, but caught me off guard and said "Nice hair baby!" I was thrilled. I've gotten compliments on it from others as well, and my sister says it matches my eyes, I guess I have copper brown eyes! It has faded a little bit in a few days, but nothing drastic. I am going to start using color treated shampoo and conditioner to try and make it last longer. Any gals who can't get a reddish color to show up should definetly try this shade. It even gave me highlights all over, so gorgeous. Yay! Thumbs up!
EDIT: I knocked this down to 2 stars-this faded soooo quickly and left me with icky orangish brassy hair that I had to dye over again with, and that faded super fast too! So now I am back with lovely brown hair thanks to Colorsilk in Medium Golden Brown, and I think I will stay with this for a while again! Too bad! :(