MAC 188 Small Duo Fibre Face brush

4.3

on 6/5/2015 12:43:00 PM

This brush is the perfect match with the MAC pro longwear concealer! I love it!

on 5/2/2015 7:57:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I pretty much hate this brush. I bought it for liquid foundation application. The actual brush feels way less dense than the ones on display (I bought it at a MAC counter), it's tedious to use, and the application is borderline streaky no matter how gentle your hand is. I tried it 3 or 4 times with both runny and medium-thick liquid foundations. You can get a mediocre application with a runny foundation if you stipple with a featherlight hand, but it will streak if you try to do any gentle tiny circular buffing motions and the finish is never flawless. Don't even bother with thick foundations, because the white bristles aren't supportive enough to push it into your skin. Ultimately, the fibers are low quality, the black ones are not densely packed enough to support the white ones, and the white ones are too much longer than the black ones; because of this, the white fibers bend back on themselves and cause streaking and bad/uneven product distribution. This brush is useless. Save yourself four bucks (and a lot of frustration), and get a Shiseido Foundation Brush (which I purchased right after this and does a flawless job).

on 2/28/2015 7:42:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

I bought for my daughter the mac 217 for blending and concealing and the 188 for foundation, blusher and highlighting. This 2 brushes are just perfect to start. I have 15 mac brushes and use and love all of them. But to start I would highly reccomend the 188 and 217 or 224. I think I would prefer the 224 than the 217. But both of them do a good job. I myself use the 188 everyday and I just do love this little sister of the 187.

ok so i used to have MAC 187 but i lost it when i was travelling so i need to buy a new one and when i went to make the sales assistant recommended to me 188 as i wanted it for foundation mainly. i was worried at first because it looks too small but i bought it and one i had tried it i loved it! although it looks too small for applying foundation but it blends foundation really will and gives me a really lovely soft finish! besides it can reach my forehead and around my nose and its so good for applying blush eavenley! its a multi using brush so if you didn't like it for foundation you can use it for blusher, highlighting and concealing

on 1/14/2015 1:39:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure

Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse

It does the job but I'm sure you can find a better one. It is really annoying that it sheds...

Once again I was recommended this brush the sales assistant for my mineralize moisture foundation. This is great for spreading and evening out the foundation and leaves me with a flawless look. The brush doesn't leave mcuh streaks unless I apply miltiple layers. On the down side, I found this brush a little difficult to use around my nose area (probably the shape and denisty of the brush). The black hairs on the brush falls out easily when I apply the foundation (maybe I got a bad brush??). I thought that this brush was small enough for me to apply concealer under my eyes. I was mistaken as the brush was too large and with me brushing o to my lashes. I paid 70AUD for this brush, worth it but I would probably also need to invest in a concealer and powder brush.

on 12/26/2014 10:35:00 AM

I literally scoured the reviews to see whether anyone else has the same problem with this brush, but I finally gave up. Just like with my 187 brush, I have trouble getting this one clean. I've tried MAC brush cleaner, Dr. Bronners peppermint soap, head & shoulders (I've heard this can be used to remove hair dye, so I thought I'd give it a try) and Beautyblender solid, and the white bristles are stained from the most recent blush I used. My last resort will be Johnson's baby shampoo, but I am getting sick of these brushes. This is consuming way too much time!

on 11/14/2014 3:17:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

Let me start out by saying that this brush is reasonably good, and I do reach for it nearly every time I apply makeup. However I personally find the bristles to be just a tad too long and that can make it a bit streaky. Also, mine really lacks any kind of density and keeps shedding but I think I may have just gotten a bad brush. The 188 that I bought at the same time has a similar issue with shedding, and they are both definitely real/purchased from the MAC store.

I don't quite think this brush is worth the price. Some MAC brushes are but this one falls short, especially considering the variable quality. You shouldn't have to cross your fingers hoping to get a good brush when you're shelling out $80 (in Australia). I wouldn't buy this brush again, but I will continue to use the one I have.

on 10/27/2014 2:27:00 AM

I had this brush for 5 years now and I brought it at the MAC store. It has held up really well and the bristles are very soft and does not shed. I like that this is made in Japan and the brush has a good weight to it. It cost about $36 but worth it. I use this mainly for blush and highlighting. I used to use this for foundation however I stopped because it takes too long due to the size of the brush but if you take the time and stipple on your foundation, your skin would look very flawless. For highlighting and applying blush, this brush applies the perfect amount and even for the most pigmented blush, my cheeks never look over done. Check out my review and demo on this.

on 4/25/2014 2:59:00 AM

Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure

I was not really sure whether to write this review because I know there are many diehard fans out there. It was my birthday and I thought I should splurge on a Mac brush and I chose 188 because I wanted a separate brush for powder highlighter and my goodness, it sheds like crazy. For sure, mine is not a fake since I got it from Mac Pro shop and I was so pissed that I went back to complain to their SA and told them if their is a return or exchange policy I could gladly return it. Their response was you know Mac brushes are all handmade, blah, blah, blah. Now, I am stuck with an expensive unusable brush.

Popular Makeup Brushes