December 22, 2014 | 908 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 188 Small Duo Fibre Face brush

rated 4 of 5 on 11/14/2014 3:17:00 AM More reviews by pattsy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Let me start out by saying that this brush is reasonably good, and I do reach for it nearly every time I apply makeup. However I personally find the bristles to be just a tad too long and that can make it a bit streaky. Also, mine really lacks any kind of density and keeps shedding but I think I may have just gotten a bad brush. The 188 that I bought at the same time has a similar issue with shedding, and they are both definitely real/purchased from the MAC store.

I don't quite think this brush is worth the price. Some MAC brushes are but this one falls short, especially considering the variable quality. You shouldn't have to cross your fingers hoping to get a good brush when you're shelling out $80 (in Australia). I wouldn't buy this brush again, but I will continue to use the one I have.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/27/2014 2:27:00 AM More reviews by OrangeMintPop

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I had this brush for 5 years now and I brought it at the MAC store. It has held up really well and the bristles are very soft and does not shed. I like that this is made in Japan and the brush has a good weight to it. It cost about $36 but worth it. I use this mainly for blush and highlighting. I used to use this for foundation however I stopped because it takes too long due to the size of the brush but if you take the time and stipple on your foundation, your skin would look very flawless. For highlighting and applying blush, this brush applies the perfect amount and even for the most pigmented blush, my cheeks never look over done. Check out my review and demo on this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 4/25/2014 2:59:00 AM More reviews by rosateh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was not really sure whether to write this review because I know there are many diehard fans out there. It was my birthday and I thought I should splurge on a Mac brush and I chose 188 because I wanted a separate brush for powder highlighter and my goodness, it sheds like crazy. For sure, mine is not a fake since I got it from Mac Pro shop and I was so pissed that I went back to complain to their SA and told them if their is a return or exchange policy I could gladly return it. Their response was you know Mac brushes are all handmade, blah, blah, blah. Now, I am stuck with an expensive unusable brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2014 7:24:00 PM More reviews by raquelsimoes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a must-have brush, mainly for two purposes: applying liquid foundation to the most tiny areas of your face and applying liquid under-eye concealer. It does an amazing job with both.

Firstly, if you're looking for a brush that will allow you to apply your liquid foundation perfectly and give your face a natural and stunning coverage, you should really check this out. It is great getting your foundation to every part of your face. However, it will take a while since it's a small brush. If you don't have the time and/or are looking for a more chill look, I suggest you try the #187 instead because it's basically a bigger version of the #188.

Secondly (and this is what I use this brush for most of the times), this brush is just perfect with liquid concealer. I use this brush to set the concealer under my eyes, where I have deep dark circles. Honestly, if this is an issue for you, take a look at this brush. You might be surprised.

As for the packaging, I was expecting more from MAC. I mean, MAC is an expensive brand and this is an expensive makeup brush. Therefore, you'd think they would come up with a cute idea for its packaging. Instead, I got this brush wrapped in a simple piece of plastic with a small black tag saying what type of brush it is. Very disappointing since this is not the case of other MAC products that I own, such as concealer, brush cleanser, finishing powder, etc. The brush itself is pretty though: black handle with silver letters and black & white bristles.

As for the price, mine cost me 47 euros (the #187 brush is 52 euros, by the way). It's expensive, but I think it is worth it. I haven't had shedding problems with this brush and it does its job so well.

Overall, I love this brush and I can't imagine not having it now that I do.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2014 5:56:00 AM More reviews by Alexandra123Y

It is a good brush. Many people use it for foundation application. I find it too time consuming. For this purpose 187 works just fine for me.
188 I would use for powder or very thin liquid highlighters, or for cream blushes. It's good for something that needs a very light hand.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 4:23:00 PM More reviews by LolaKandler

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I swear by this brush. Although it is expensive, it is absolutely brilliant at buffing foundation into the skin. I used to use the real techniques foundation brush, and thought that was amazing too, until I found this brush! This make up brush is fantastic, definitely recommend it!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2014 11:59:00 PM More reviews by creamdeviolet

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For some reason, 188 does better job on being foundation brush than 187, if you only wanna buy one, I would suggest 188, I use LM silk Creme

rated 3 of 5 on 10/9/2013 9:12:00 PM More reviews by xoCarmina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Eh, the only reason why I have this brush in my collection is because an SA at MAC applied foundation on me with it along time ago and I needed a foundation brush. I have the MAC 187 brush and I prefer that one. This brush takes a lot of effort to blend a whole full face of foundation without getting carpal tunnel.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2013 1:05:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I wanted to love this brush. .. but I had trouble finding a use for it. I ended up using it for blushes, but I still had to use another brush to blend out the little dots it leaves on application. then, after only a year, the brush fell apart on me unexpectedly. None of my other MAc brushes have yet, so pretty surprised at this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2013 8:23:00 PM More reviews by Chrisylita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I was recommended this brush by an SA at MAC after I bought the pro longwear foundation. He applied my foundation with this brush and it looked amazing so of course I bought it. Love the brush its small enough to get every corner of your face and it blends in foundation like a dream........but I've been reading some reviews and a lot of people are saying the brush doesn't shed at all but mine sheds and that's why I gave it a 4. Its quite pricey too $50 CAN.