August 21, 2014 | 1972 users online

Makeup Brushes - MAC - 188 Small Duo Fibre Face brush

rated 1 of 5 on 4/25/2014 2:59:00 AM More reviews by rosateh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was not really sure whether to write this review because I know there are many diehard fans out there. It was my birthday and I thought I should splurge on a Mac brush and I chose 188 because I wanted a separate brush for powder highlighter and my goodness, it sheds like crazy. For sure, mine is not a fake since I got it from Mac Pro shop and I was so pissed that I went back to complain to their SA and told them if their is a return or exchange policy I could gladly return it. Their response was you know Mac brushes are all handmade, blah, blah, blah. Now, I am stuck with an expensive unusable brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/13/2014 7:24:00 PM More reviews by raquelsimoes

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This is a must-have brush, mainly for two purposes: applying liquid foundation to the most tiny areas of your face and applying liquid under-eye concealer. It does an amazing job with both.

Firstly, if you're looking for a brush that will allow you to apply your liquid foundation perfectly and give your face a natural and stunning coverage, you should really check this out. It is great getting your foundation to every part of your face. However, it will take a while since it's a small brush. If you don't have the time and/or are looking for a more chill look, I suggest you try the #187 instead because it's basically a bigger version of the #188.

Secondly (and this is what I use this brush for most of the times), this brush is just perfect with liquid concealer. I use this brush to set the concealer under my eyes, where I have deep dark circles. Honestly, if this is an issue for you, take a look at this brush. You might be surprised.

As for the packaging, I was expecting more from MAC. I mean, MAC is an expensive brand and this is an expensive makeup brush. Therefore, you'd think they would come up with a cute idea for its packaging. Instead, I got this brush wrapped in a simple piece of plastic with a small black tag saying what type of brush it is. Very disappointing since this is not the case of other MAC products that I own, such as concealer, brush cleanser, finishing powder, etc. The brush itself is pretty though: black handle with silver letters and black & white bristles.

As for the price, mine cost me 47 euros (the #187 brush is 52 euros, by the way). It's expensive, but I think it is worth it. I haven't had shedding problems with this brush and it does its job so well.

Overall, I love this brush and I can't imagine not having it now that I do.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2014 5:56:00 AM More reviews by Alexandra123Y

It is a good brush. Many people use it for foundation application. I find it too time consuming. For this purpose 187 works just fine for me.
188 I would use for powder or very thin liquid highlighters, or for cream blushes. It's good for something that needs a very light hand.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/24/2014 4:23:00 PM More reviews by LolaKandler

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I swear by this brush. Although it is expensive, it is absolutely brilliant at buffing foundation into the skin. I used to use the real techniques foundation brush, and thought that was amazing too, until I found this brush! This make up brush is fantastic, definitely recommend it!!

rated 4 of 5 on 1/27/2014 11:59:00 PM More reviews by creamdeviolet

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

For some reason, 188 does better job on being foundation brush than 187, if you only wanna buy one, I would suggest 188, I use LM silk Creme

rated 3 of 5 on 10/9/2013 9:12:00 PM More reviews by xoCarmina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

Eh, the only reason why I have this brush in my collection is because an SA at MAC applied foundation on me with it along time ago and I needed a foundation brush. I have the MAC 187 brush and I prefer that one. This brush takes a lot of effort to blend a whole full face of foundation without getting carpal tunnel.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2013 1:05:00 AM More reviews by Menolikepolos

I wanted to love this brush. .. but I had trouble finding a use for it. I ended up using it for blushes, but I still had to use another brush to blend out the little dots it leaves on application. then, after only a year, the brush fell apart on me unexpectedly. None of my other MAc brushes have yet, so pretty surprised at this one.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/8/2013 8:23:00 PM More reviews by Chrisylita

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

I was recommended this brush by an SA at MAC after I bought the pro longwear foundation. He applied my foundation with this brush and it looked amazing so of course I bought it. Love the brush its small enough to get every corner of your face and it blends in foundation like a dream........but I've been reading some reviews and a lot of people are saying the brush doesn't shed at all but mine sheds and that's why I gave it a 4. Its quite pricey too $50 CAN.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/23/2013 4:57:00 AM More reviews by xiangwei304

I got this as a present, I was a little skeptical in the beginning, especially when I found out how much it cost, OMG! The packaging is quite bad, doesn't look like a high end packaging for me... It is a much slimmer brush compare to MAC 187 and Real Techniques Stippling brush, so I started by using it as a setting brush or to apply hightligher. I really like how it feels on the face, so soft compare to The Real Techniques Stipping Brush which I found quite uncomfortable on the skin... It is so slim and it can get every corne of the face, around the nose, under eyes to sett concealer. I totally fall in love with it! It has not shed at all so far, the quality is really good, it is made in Japan, so I guess it is pricy for a reason. I am sure it will last me for a real long time before I need to buy another one.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/27/2013 9:08:00 AM More reviews by Emese1

I love this brush! I bought it originally to apply under eye concealer (at gossmakeupartist's suggestion). Doesn't work for that. Everything creases on me.
But now that I use blush, it applies it wonderfully! I have great control so I don't put too much product on and put it exactly where I want to. My pet peeve is to not overdo blusher and it's perfect for that! It's still soft after a few years. I'm sure there are cheaper alternatives, but at the time I bought it I wasn't aware.
Highly recommend it!