October 25, 2014 | 1850 users online

Fragrances - Banana Republic Beauty - Alabaster

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/30/2013 4:36:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

I spritzed this while at the register waiting to return an online purchase. I guess I'm always drawn to the same type of fragrance - rose with musk (Stella by Stella McCartney is my go-to). However, I don't really smell the rose in this because it actually reminds me more of YSL Parisienne's blackberry note. It's a too sugary sweet for me though and the initial spritz can be strong.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/10/2012 7:39:00 PM More reviews by happygirl1

I tried this perfume on today, and at first it smells good/clean/fresh, but a bit strong. As it dries down, it gets better and better. On me, it smells like a lighter and more refined version of Ralph by Ralph Lauren. It seems like it would be a great scent for the office, a warm day... or actually, even a cool day, albeit sunny. :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/3/2012 2:53:00 AM More reviews by ShellyMum

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Kinky, Fine Eyes: Green

I received a 4 pack of mini Banana Republic fragrances and have decided to review them all at once. The stars rated will be for the one it's filed under. ROSEWOOD (2006): Notes, Bergamot, champagne, white tea leaves, vanilla, sandalwood, and white amber. I like Rosewood, itís a sweet musky, powdery floral oriental scent. It is quite unusual to my nose but in a good way. I will definitely wear this one. For those looking for an actual rosewood scent, you wonít find it here. I donít smell any actual rosewood. Try Amarige by Givenchy for a better rosewood scent. ALABASTER (2006): Notes, Lotus flower, wild rose and warm musk. This is a nice clean rose scent. It reminds me a lot of True Love by Elizabeth Arden. Itís nothing spectacular but Iíd still wear it if Iím in the mood for a fresh, clean rose scent. MALACHITE (2007): Notes, Water hyacinth, pepper, green mango, imperial peony, winter pear, rose, carnation, sandalwood, vanilla and musk. I found this one to be very interesting and loved it the best of all the 4 scents. It is a lovely soapy, classy scent. It is a bit peppery too, which is different to other soapy scents Iíve owned in the past. Lastly, CLASSIC (1995): Notes, Herbal notes, bergamot, pink grapefruit, clementine, honeysuckle, ginger, white musk and woody notes. This one was my least favourite of the 4. It is marketed as a unisex scent but on me, it just smells like a horrid spicy lemon scent. I wore it a couple of times, just to be certain, but each time found myself running to scrub it off. My nose just couldnít like it. Oh well, liking 3 out of 4 isnít bad odds I guess.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2011 11:39:00 PM More reviews by summerskyemusic

I love this scent. I actually bought a mini of the Rosewood scent and only bought the mini of Alabaster because I would get a 25% off discount. However, I looooovvvveee this. Rosewood didn't cut it. This smells so yummy and girly but not in a childish way. Actually, a dude could probably get away with wearing this. But this sucker is a floral scent. It's a light fragrance that I can wear with no issues with my allergies. I told my husband that this is the way that I want to smell MOST of the time. It's a classic, sophisticated scent that had me in a good mood all day. I think will make it as my signature scent. It's that good. And I think it's perfect for those with sensitive noses like myself. I can just wear anything. This is the bomb!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/12/2011 5:14:00 PM More reviews by turkeyvulture

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am a total perfume nut but I never knew I was until I started sampling and collecting boutique hand-made small-batch perfumes, usually made entirely of essential oils by independent artisans. Every single time I tried a commercial perfume I hated it - it instantly turned into that offensive, nose-stinging, "perfumey" smell on my skin. I later learned that it was musk that did it - musk doesn't react well with my chemistry at all, so unless a perfume was musk-free I couldn't stand to even smell it, let alone wear it.

So I was very surprised to learn that Alabaster has musk in it. For some mysterious reason, this perfume is amazing on me, and the only floral I've ever found that lasts for hours without turning banal, cloying, or chemical. The very bright, fruity opening note dries down perfectly to blend with the musk base. The florals and musk work together instead of against each other, and the result is a fresh, clean, long-lasting scent that is never overpowering but not weak either. If you wear a lot of sandalwood, patchouli, neroli, or ambergris, as I do (since musk doesn't typically work for me) Alabaster blends beautifully with those as well. I am so happy to have found a feminine floral that I can wear when the occasion calls for something other than a seductive smoky wood fragrance.

My friends noticed when I started wearing Alabaster and commented on how well it suited me, and how surprised they were that I was wearing something floral!

Remember, folks, every perfume is different for every person, and a sample in a magazine or sprayed onto a strip in a store will NOT represent how the scent will wear on your skin. Take it from a perfume hoarder like me! You must try them on and wear them for hours to get the full effect. Always "test drive" before you buy! I believe if you have a hard time wearing musks, like I do, you will probably work very well with Alabaster.

So far this is the only commercial perfume I've ever purchased...I will definitely buy it again. BR's Alabaster is the only commercial perfume I've ever found that's worth its salt..and at about $50 for a large bottle that lasts forever, the price is exceptional for the quality.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/2/2009 8:21:00 PM More reviews by lolipopi

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Blue

I'll start with what I don't like - the packaging SUCKS! The sprayer stopped working about half way through my bottle, and I hate that it doesn't sit upright. What I love though is the actual perfume itself... its so amazing. I also bought the body mist. I live close to an outlet, but they don't carry this perfume in the outlet, just the body mist. But this is worth it for me to go to the mall to get the actual perfume. Terrible packaging, amazing scent!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2009 12:22:00 PM More reviews by Navessa

i just love this perfume. i prefer to wear it during fall/winter though. it is just fresh and comforting for me. my bottle is almost gone, will have to get more!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/4/2009 12:03:00 AM More reviews by cavalletta

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A very long time ago, I smelled this in a magazine and it smelled great. It reminded me of nemat international perfume oil in arabian wood, which i love. I never got around to buying any since I already had the (cheap) arabian wood. Well, I snagged a set at tj's for $20 (the lotion and edp). I am disappointed in the smell and lasting power. Very sharp. Too clean/boring/masculine.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/16/2009 10:41:00 PM More reviews by jennifermbrown

I must have some strange skin chemistry, because unlike most of the reviews posted on this site, I find this perfume lasts all day long. I also absolutely love the way it smells on me - it's just so hard to describe. I've had complete strangers who happen to be near me in line at a cafe ask me what scent I'm wearing because they loved it so much. I've had coworkers do the same....not that I'm bathing in it and making it too strong - just a dab on each wrist and sometimes my breastbone.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/28/2008 9:05:00 PM More reviews by iloveshoesandcoffee

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have to admit that I didn't expect much from a Banana Republic perfume, but this exceeded expectations. Good lasting power.

This is the same EXACT scent as the old-school Betsey Johnson perfume (the one that used to come in a little round globe-ish bottle...circa 1996). If you liked the old betsey Johnson, you'll be happy to have found this.