Karite Lips Shea Butter Lip Balm

4.6

on 3/3/2014 2:55:00 PM

KARITE LIPS CHANGED INGREDIENTS. This WAS PREVIOUSLY my favorite lip balm until they recently changed the formula. The first two ingredients used to be Sunflower oil and Shea butter, BUT NOW the first two are Candelila wax and Castor oil. The formula no longer has superior moisturizing properties, so sad! And probably shouldn't be marketed as a shea butter lip balm unless the make it a main ingredient again. I would use Burt's Bees over this new formula especially considering it costs a whopping $10.00 at Whole Foods Market.

on 3/8/2013 9:44:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Other

Simply the only lip balm they works for me! I have had very dry, chapped lips since childhood; no amount of water drinking, healthy oil eating or supplementation has helped. So I've tried more than my fair share of lip balms over the years in the attempt to remedy the situation. Some that I have tried: La Mer, Sisley, By Terry, Nuxe, Fresh Sugar, Carmex, Blistex, Lanisoh, Aquaphor, Vaseline, among many others. Most lip balms actually end up leaving my lips in worse condition, I have to apply them robotically every ten minutes or my lips are a mess, like someone who's been stranded in the desert for three days with no water. With Karite Lips, I only need to apply a few times a day and once before bed and I have the lips of a normal person! Very highly recommended!

on 11/7/2010 1:57:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I had preferred EOS vanilla balm to this. While I love the ingredients and in theory this balm should be HG, the things I disliked about it are as follows:

1. NO slip! really waxy (even though wax is on the bottom of the list). Even $3 Dr.Bronners provides better slip and moisturization.

2. For such "immense" moisturizers like they claim, where's the moisture? My lips weren't cracking, but they weren't as soft and supple as they should have been.

3. Ten dollars for a small little stick. Hardly any body sells this, no stores that I've been. A pain in the a** to find and buy and pay shipping for, I'm glad I didn't care for it.

This product deserves 3.5 stars, because it was better than Ren's $18 balm.

For those of you who claim it is HG, how many balms exactly did you try to come to that conclusion? There is far better to be had.

on 2/15/2010 8:35:00 PM

Skin: Other, Other, Warm

This is my HG for soft, moisturized lips! It also smells like sugar cookies. I only need to use it a few times a day for soft, chap-free lips all day. I recommend it to everyone I know! I love that the product is actually the full size of the tube, it's not cut off midway or anything that makes you feel like you're getting ripped off. It's a great deal for a great product!

on 12/24/2009 12:31:00 PM

This is my absolute favorite. I buy it whenever I can, but the bin for this at Whole Foods is often empty--crap, sold out again! I agree with another reviewer that it can feel dry when applying, but I think it is because the ingredients are natural. (Have you ever used pure natural shea butter? You sort of have to melt it in your hands first before applying it or else it is crumbly.) This works wonders on my dry lips. I have repurchased maybe a dozen times. ***BTW, since I have recently had difficulty finding this at the local store, I have had to order it online. Even though the company is Canadian, the shipping was only $5.50 for an order containing a few items. www.modedevie.com. Also, I tried the Cappuccino and Xpresso flavors from the same line. They have different ingredients and I thought the flavors were strong and horrible. Blick.

on 11/5/2009 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Tan, Cool

This lip balm has amazing ingredients in it. Smells wonderful and feels really nice on my lips. The only thing I don't like about this lip balm is if feels a little dry when first putting it on, like it takes the stick a little bit to warm up. Also, my packing broke:( I can look past these because of the amazing lip ingredients.

on 9/21/2009 7:30:00 AM

EDIT 2/1/13: In response to a review written about "those who claim this is your HG, how many have you tried?" I've tried tons. I love Bronner's lip balm too, but none moisturize MY lips like Karite Lips does. We're all different. As we say on MUA: YMMV, no reason to be rude. 3 Years later and this is *still* my HG. I've purchased many, many different lip balms ranging in price since writing this review, and this one still prevails for me.

wow wow and wow. I've been a burt's bees lip balm junkie for years and years...since I first tried it when I was 13 or so. I bought Karite Lips as a splurge at the organic store in the checkout line. I am SO glad that I finally stepped out of my burt's boundaries! Yeah, it's expensive, but like others said it's still cheaper than some fancy pants natural brands. It is so worth $8. It lasts all night. Lasts all day. Smells divine. Makes the lips feel silky smooth. What more could you want?

EDIT 12/13/09: as mentioned below, one of the cons of this product is that it has a gritty texture. I read a couple reviews where people melted theirs in the microwave to fix the roughness...but this did not work for me. Like one other, my tube melted (and I did mine in 10 second increments at half power!) So I have no clue how others were able to get this to work. Personally, I don't mind the gritty texture. It kind of exfoliates my lips and makes them even smoother. Still my HG.

on 7/4/2009 2:30:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

“Karite Lips” Shea Butter Lip Balm with Vanilla extract by Mode de Vie cured my dry peeling lips when nothing else would! Light cocoa & vanilla scent.

on 6/13/2009 5:15:00 PM

Great lip balm! Keeps my lips soft and chap-free for a long time - no need to constantly reapply. Definitely the best for the <$7 it costs. (Dr Hauschka and Pangea Organics may be equally good but they cost about double.)

on 4/5/2009 10:28:00 AM

Best lip balm I have tried hands down. The smell is great and my lips stay moisturized all day long.

Popular Lip Treatments