Physicians Formula Retro Illuminating Powder

3.4

on 8/18/2011 2:09:00 PM

I bought this on sale on Ebay (they donīt sell physicians in Brazil) because I just loved the cute packaging. When I first used it, I found it too shimmery. But I reckon it was just a first layer of shimmer, īcause when I used it again it looked waaay better. It is setlles makeup very well, though it wonīt last long during the hotter days (but thatīs all right, I mean.. itīs Brazil).

on 6/11/2010 7:51:00 PM

I like the cute packaging. I use this all over my face when I go to the beach. Not amazing but it does what it says. I probably wont buy this again though.

on 12/23/2007 1:27:00 AM

I really hate this powder, and I am going to blame it for my own mistake. If I remember correctly, it was about $10. I forgot that "illuminating" means "we added some sparkly crap", and bought this not thinking it would have glitter in it. I was appaled, I HATE having glitter all over the face, It kills me to use a highlighter. So I thought I could scrape the glitter off, but even thought it was on the first layer only, my glitter would not leave. I ended up throwing the whole thing away, useless brush and all. $@#&% you, Physician's Formula.

on 2/4/2007 3:47:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

Light coverage,shiny,nonirritating,thin texture. Tossed it after a few tries.

on 5/13/2006 10:17:00 AM

Description of Me: Very fair skin with neutral/warm undertones. Mild acne marks. Deep, deep brown eyes. Red-brown hair.

I used to cover my face in thick, heavy foundation (Maybelline Dream Matte Mousse, to be exact) and layers and layers of powder. This did not look natural, however. Although I have normal, pimple-prone skin, everyone has oils on their face, and my face looks "artificial," as my father claimed, due to the lack of oil. I deserted the Matte Mousse and CoverGirl powder for Wet 'n Wild Ultimate Sheer Tinted Moisturizer in Nude. Although Nude is far too dark for NC15/PPP me, this product in Translucent sets my tinted moisturizer, makes it match my skin tone, and gives me a great, dewy, glowy face. The only thing I dislike about this product is the packaging. It comes in a shiny grey plastic container, with a clear top. The edges of the grey part are scalloped, to look fancy, but it looks really terrible to me. I reccomend this product whole heartedly. It is incredible. continued >>

on 4/22/2005 1:56:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have been very happy with the results I have gotten with the Retro Glow powder. I use the translucent, and have found that the glitter is throughout the powder. I'm usually not a big fan of glitter, but I do like this because it is subtle, just adding a bit of glow.

I have sensitive skin caused by rosacea, and Physician's Formula products have always been good to me-never causing any breakouts. (In my case, this means I don't get anymore with the makeup than without. Oh, to be totally breakout free!)

My compact is the "old" style, with the decorative edges. (Apparently the new ones are in a plain compact. Too bad-this design is more fun!)

Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure

Received this in a swap from a lovely MUAer, in the Crystal cameo shade. The compact exudes a retro vintage glamour feel, though abit cheap looking. :P

The product itself deserves 5 stars! This finely-milled stuff is too shiny to be used as an all-over face powder, but works extremely well as a highlighter! It leaves a soft glowy sheen when applied on the cheekbones, instantly brightening up the face. Love it! :)

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine

Okay. I'm writing this review because I've written a few good ones over the past few weeks, but, truthfully, I much prefer to be nasty. This powder is the perfect opportunity. First of all, the "glitter" or whatever it is, is just on the surface of this pressed powder. So, after a few uses, all you're left with is a two tone (and who needs THAT?!) powder. With a few exceptions (the eyeshadow and some blushes) Physicians Formula's products are gimmiky, crappy and in my opinion, faulty. What makes this "retro"? the tacky cameo in the center? Please. I got this for 99 cents and I'm so glad I did because now I really have something to bitch about. And another thing...what kind of physician is formulating this garbage? I mean, can you see two guys (or gals) in lab coats standing over a test tube being like "Let's add glitter! And a pretty cameo!"

on 1/29/2004 2:41:00 AM

Walgreen's was having an introductory sale on this, so I picked it up for $2.50, and I'm so glad I did. I'm not really into sparkle, but it just gives skin a bit of a sheen. You could use it all over and you wouldn't look ridiculous (unless I do and I just don't know it.... hmmmm. I should ask someone). Oh, and the packaging is so cute! I love that it comes with its own puff and the vintage inspired tin is something I wouldn't expect from PF. Overall, good stuff, not great.

on 9/21/2003 8:57:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure

Gosh, wanted to like it so bad! I was drawn to the adorable packaging with the glimmery cameo in the middle and was hoping I might find my HG highlighter. One light swipe across my skin and YUCK. I could of dipped my face in some silver glitter from the arts & crafts isle and gotten the same affect. The "shimmer" on this is way too big and looks way unnatural on the skin. I'll save this for halloween.