April 17, 2014 | 1981 users online

Other - Tom's of Maine - Peppermint Baking Soda Toothpaste

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/23/2009 4:31:00 AM More reviews by Hawko

Once upon a time I read a column in Allure, the introduction on this product was "once you use this tooth paste, you cannot return to others". Purely out of challenge, I bought one, in peppermint; & it's true, after using this product, I find other tooth pastes taste really yacky. I tried other flavours like fennel, spearmint etc which I absolutely hate.
I did sway to other brand, b/c the price has gone up from somewhat Cad$3.50 to about $5.70 for my last tube. It certainly is easier to pick up on some major brands for $1 but I always come back to this one.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2009 12:05:00 AM More reviews by allmydays

Oh my gosh talk about lifesaver! I was diagnosed with perioral dermatitis (anyone else get persistent dryness and irritation around their mouths/muzzle area?!) and the doctor mistakenly gave me hydrocortisone cream for it - which made it worse! Researching it further, I found that hydrocortisone aggravates the condition.

You know what else aggravates perioral dermatitis? Sodium lauryl/laureth Sulfate! Other culprits include whitening toothpaste (which includes SLS) and cleansers etc. I switched to Tom's of Maine and wouldn't you know - The dermatitis went down in TWO WEEKS.

Also, I found that this toothpaste (along with Jason's Powersmile) actually make my teeth feel MUCH cleaner. It's this unreal smooth feel on your teeth like you just got a cleaning from the dentist, that I can't get over whenever I brush! It's so refreshing and reassuring! No more bleeding gums!

This toothpaste comes highly recommended for anyone dealing with irritation in or around the mouth - I brought the box to my dentist and even she was impressed with it! (Note: if you want Fluoride in your toothpaste - Jason Natural Cosmetics "Powersmile" has both fluoride and CoQ10 in some formulations - Even my DENTIST switched to it and loves it! That's what I use now!)

New Year's resolutions, everyone: Try a new toothpaste from Jason or Tom's of Maine - it WILL make a difference!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2008 6:36:00 PM More reviews by flossyglam

I know I'm restating everything else that has been said, but I can't help it. At first I hated the taste and thought it was way too bitter. Then by the end of the week I realized that it was nothing more than a naturally clean, fresh taste and that my old toothpaste was actually too sweet! I definitely feel the cleanest and freshest with this toothpaste and can't go back to the old stuff--too sickeningly sweet! Cons: the metal tube is kind of endearing to me, but it makes squeezing tricky sometimes. Also, price-wise you're going to pay a bit more. Still, this is my HG toothpaste!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2007 10:51:00 AM More reviews by SqueakyClean

This is the only toothpaste I'll use now. I cannot stand the artificial-sweetner taste of the non-natural toothpastes. This leaves me with such a clean-feeling mouth and it doesn't feel like I just brushed my teeth with a can of diet soda. Everyone should really give this stuff (or another flavor of this brand) a try - you won't go back to your regular toothpast after this! A note on the packaging - be careful how you squeeze this when the tube is close to empty, because it's metal, it can split open when it's bent. It doesn't happen to me very often, but be aware of the possibility when you get close to finishing a tube.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/5/2007 1:26:00 AM More reviews by pillager

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Hello subtle, fresh taste, good bye toxic chemicals and saccharine taste! Have been using Tom's of Maine toothpaste without flouride for years and haven't had a cavity in years. The silica and baking soda keep my teeth feeling really clean and the natural ingredients make it safe.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/25/2007 4:31:00 PM More reviews by Leftwing34

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've used this product for five months and have no regrets tossing my preservative laden brands aside. I like that the peppermint flavor doesn't taste sugary, so it freshens my breath, my teeth feel clean and I've just had a good dental check up. What more could one want? I will definitely keep using.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2006 11:23:00 AM More reviews by hereiam410

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I LOVE this toothpaste! My teeth feel squeaky clean and I love knowing that my gums and teeth are being cared for without preservatives or toxic chemicals.

"Tom's of Maine" has obviously done their homework:
They offer a fluoride-free alternative for ONE reason and ONE reason only: Fluoride is TOXIC and those who know about this are seeking out a safe toothpaste.

I have no doubt that they are legally restricted from stating this on their packaging.

I commend them for making this safe, high quality, and gentle product.

Please use only FLUORIDE-FREE. preservative-free toothpaste, regardless of the brand.

It is a myth that fluoride helps your teeth or fights cavities!

Please educate yourself and read this before you continue putting this toxin in your mouth or body.

There are MANY other websites online that will help you see this myth for what it is...a lie.

Do a Google search and see for yourself:

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2006 2:26:00 PM More reviews by Daerena

I was a bit wary about this toothpaste at first but it has been over 2 weeks that hubby and I have been using it and we are both FLOORED at how great it is. We got the kind with flouride because hubby is prone to cavities without it.
At first, I really wasn't crazy about the flavor. All I tasted was baking soda, but after a few days I started to really notice the natural peppermint taste and now I love it! I brush my teeth more often now and for longer (like you're supposed to) because of this toothpaste. It doesn't leave a nasty film in my mouth like all of the other regular toothpastes do or a bothersome aftertaste. My teeth just feel nice and clean and I actually think they look better too. My gums also feel much much healthier. My husband has also said that he has noticed a great improvement since using this toothpaste.
The aluminum tube is kind of a nuisance because sometimes the toothpaste just wants to come out of it on its' own when you've opened the cap, but it's not a large amount and the slight awkwardness of the package is really worth dealing with for such a great product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2006 12:11:00 PM More reviews by kak513

I have severely sensitive teeth, so I've been using Crest Sensitive for the last few years...however, over the past few months, it hasn't helped much, and most alarming of all, the lining on my inner cheeks was peeling off in big shreds every morning. I've only had the Tom's of Maine toothpaste since yesterday, but already no cheek pieces this morning, and I like the very-little foam since too much induces my gag-reflex.
It somehow feels cleaner, too, and I like the taste of real peppermint. I want to try the Burt's Bees natural toothpaste before I decide my HG, but this could be it.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/21/2006 6:16:00 AM More reviews by awful_cherry

Love it! I must have a very sensitive mouth because most toothpastes burn. I don't find their "tingling sensations" pleasant. For awhile I used kid's toothpaste because it's gentler. This stuff also doesn't burn my mouth, like the kids' toothpaste, and makes my breath feel fresh.