Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion

4.1

Water/Aqua/Eau; Butylene Glycol; Biosaccharide Gum-1; Cyclodextrin; Salicylic Acid; Panicum Miliaceum (Millet Plant) Glyco-Protein Extract; Aloe Barbadensis Powder; Arginine; PEG-10 Soy Sterol; Ceteth-20-Dimethicone-Ceteth-2; BIS-PEG-18 Methyl Ether Dimethyl Silane; Cetyl Alcohol; Phenoxyethanol; Green 5 (CI 61570); Yello 10 (CI 47005)

on 4/19/2015 9:10:00 AM

I am experiencing adult hormonal acne. I wanted a low amount of bha with a low ph to exfoliate. This is it. My skin looks so radiant and clear. It's just perfect. So funny, a review below mentioned the sales girls will try to give you a bottle with a # on it or make a snarky remark if you ask for this one. And that's exactly what happened. I held up the bottle from the display and said "I'll take one of these please" and She rings me up for one with a #4 on it. And I said, "No, this one" and she says "Oh! You want really mild huh?" in a terse way. LOL WTH? This stuff rocks! : )

on 4/19/2015 8:54:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I thought I would hate this, after reading the reviews. But honestly, my sensitive roseatic skin likes it a lot. I clicked I would repurchase, but I'm truly on the fence between repurchasing this product, and using a mix of Reviva rosewater and Thayer's witch hazel with rosewater.

The packaging doesn't bother me; at least it's not in a glass bottle and it's easy to control the amount on a cotton ball. The price is not outrageous, but still a bit more than mixing 2 inexpensive ingredients (if you haven't tried the mix, you might want to-- good for dry, sensitive skin, and the pure rosewater make a nice refresher for skin and hair). It has no strong scent, and feels soothing when applied. For taking off the last remains of makeup, it certainly works well.

on 12/20/2014 1:20:00 AM

I like how clean my skin feels after I wipe a cotton of this on it. Fresh and clean. Makes my sebaceous filaments less visible. Love this stuff. Wish it had a pump though. Don't like the packaging

on 11/26/2014 2:13:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Until this product, I was firmly in the 'toner is an extra, wasted step' camp. Now, in my attempts to step up my game, it is an essential part of my routine.
This product was recommended to me as an alcohol free, BHA toner to gently brighten, exfoliate and refine without bombing my skin. I had heard the stories about Clinique's toners laying waste to skin, so was nervous but shouldn't have been.
First, this product needs to be shaken before use. No biggie. And there is really no smell to speak of, certainly no reek of alcohol as with other Clinique toners.
I use this with cotton pads, and the upward sweep they teach. It is mild enough not to sting my skin but I still see residue on the pad occasionally, so it is not too mild to be not doing it's job. I haven't had any irritation and I do use it right up around my eyes. I have also started sweeping this down onto my neck and decolletage; at my age, it can't hurt!

Has my skin been magically transformed, no; but my skin seems clearer and my products are absorbing better than before. I have eased off my usual cleansing scrubs as this seems to do enough of a job exfoliating on it's own.
The price is quite reasonable at $17 CDN; I get about 3 months out of a bottle using it AM and PM. I also time the purchases to coincide with their GWP, so that's a nice bonus. I now have plenty of travel tubes of DDML and haven't bought a new lipstick in 6 months.
My only beef is that this toner is never offered as part of a promo set and only comes in the smaller bottle. The bottle is great and sturdy for travel but for home use, an economy size would be nice. And buying this at the mall sucks.

on 10/26/2014 10:27:00 AM

This is an exfoliator, a BHA product with salicylic acid. BHA products are usually recommended to people with oily, acne-prone skin or to people with rosacea. This product might be mild compared to other BHA exfoliators, because it contains a lower than average amount of salicylic acid, but it is definitely not mild in general. Just click 'lowest rating first', and you'll see how many people got skin irritation because of it. There are a lot of us, whose skin does not tolerate BHA at all.
I have normal-slightly dry in winter- slightly sensitive skin with mild rosacea. I hardly ever have spots. I've tried this lotion and Paula's 2% BHA lotion: both gave me red pimples. This Clinique one numerous small ones, Paula's some huge ones (maybe it's because of the concentration). This lotion also dried out my skin and made it uncomfortable. It's not uncommon that BHA products cause spots to those who have problem-free skin. They might bring the junk up to the surface, I don't know.
So I say especially if you don't have acne, try a sample of any BHA product before purchasing, and wait some days before you use it again. I recommend Paula's 1% or 2%, because she has samples, and the concentration is better, so you'll see more quickly if it's good for you or not, and if it's OK, you'll have a more effective product.
The best and mildest exfoliator I've tried until now is Clinique's Turnaround Concentrate, which I use every day. It makes my skin much smoother and it hasn't caused me any irritation so far.

on 7/9/2014 2:48:00 PM

I honestly never really liked to use toner before, since I think it's the step that u can skip, and usually most toners have alcohol which I hate, because it dries my skin out and also can cause breakouts (I'm not so sure about breakouts part but I just don't like the fact that my skin care products contain alcohol) However when I went to a Clinique counter and ask for help because my skin would not have big breakout but usually the clogged pores that continue to get bigger (I tend to have clogged pores instead of big breakouts), she told me that I have to try to exfoliate my skin more, and use a chemical exfoliation instead of physical (facial scrubs or Clarisonic etc, since it can be more irritating to skin) I took her advice and since this is a non-alcohol toner, I tried this, and I must say I like it, it actually help remove the left over debris that cleanser can't get rid of and somehow the salicylic ingredient in it exfoliate my skin... although it contains salicylic acid, it is pretty gentle and does a good job with toning and exfoliating the skin

However the price is what I give it 4 lippies, since it is a bit expensive...I read reviews about Dickensen's witch hazel toner, and that product is $4 at Walmart for a big bottle, I just bought it a few days a go, and it seems to work just as well, for a fraction of cost...I was surprised because I never liked alcohol toner, and Dickensen one has about 14% of grain alcohol which is a lot...however it was not irritating to my skin at all, it was actually pretty soothing and also I noticed it brightens my skin after I use it, so I think I will continue with Dickensen toner...

on 6/5/2014 8:25:00 AM

I like the way this makes my skin feel. At first I thought it was not doing anything because I was used to those strong clarifying lotions clinique makes but after using for a while I see my skin is better looking. Now I am addicted to this stuff. I use it after using the coil for hair removal to calm my skin down & disinfect. It never dries my skin too much.

on 6/4/2014 7:13:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Neutral

The lotion cleanses well, it moisturizes my skin and kind of wakes it up in the morning. I guess it exfoliates well. It doesn't irritate my skin but is not soothing enough. For the price I would expect that the lotion does more to calm the skin. One lippie off. But all in all, it is a decent toner.

on 4/29/2014 7:39:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

This is the best toner I have ever used. It's interesting that I've never had it recommended to me by a Clinique representative, because it seems like it would work for a lot of people. I have used the numbered toners in the past and they often work well for a while, but eventually become too harsh for my skin. My skin has become drier as I have gotten older, but oil production gets ramped up to try to compensate.

Using this mild clarifying lotion is like bathing by skin in happiness. After cleansing and using this toner my skin feels silky, smooth, not at all dry or tight, and not at all oily. It is ready for moisturiser. It has helped settle down my dry patches and in turn has decreased my oiliness.

I would recommend this toner for anyone with dry skin, and it would probably work for oily combination skin as well. I think it would be a great addition to any skin care regime.

on 4/24/2014 12:10:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I tried this lotion with both the mild and extra mild facial soap and the dramatically different moisturising gel. For reference my skin is combination.

The system made my skin red, itchy, irritated and very dehydrated. It also caused me to breakout a lot (even in places I never breakout). The lotion in itself was probably the best product out of the bunch. However, even though it is supposed to be mild I wouldn't name it that way. I guess 'normal' would be more suitable. It is still a bit drying/uncomfortable to use. I mean, it's not irritating as the numbered clarifying lotions, but it isn't soothing either. I expect something that says 'mild' to be soothing or pleasant to apply. This is not.

I also didn't not see any improvements on my skin in the two weeks that I used it twice daily. I can say, however, that this worked better with a cleanser and moisturiser that are not in the Clinique '3 Step range'. I believe it worked ok with the moisture surge extended thirst relief. I stopped using this lotion after two weeks though, as I wanted something more soothing. I really did not enjoy using this lotion at all and saw no benefits and so stopped using it.