April 23, 2014 | 1457 users online

Toners - Clinique - Mild Clarifying Lotion

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/5/2014 4:00:00 PM More reviews by athenasius

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Watch out that the Clinique salesperson doesn't steer you away from this one towards their larger bottles of the numbered system of toners. Those all contain alcohol and are both irritating and drying. The sales people persist in trying to diagnose your skin and hand you a "prescription" number for their system. They will tell you you don't need this one.

You'll know you got the right one when they give you a pale green bottle that is half the height of the numbered toner bottles. It's usually not on display, and they have to look below the counter to find it.

They can insist they don't have any.

HAH! Double HAH to all that nonsense.

This one is the ONLY one that Paula Begoun recommends and other derms that write books recommend including Baumann.

It is an exfoliant but a mild one based on BHA which clears the pores and refines the skin so it's anti acne and anti aging.

It will take off the traces of cleanser and makeup that rinsing and patting dry didn't get, plus return your skin to it's proper pH level.

It is mildly moisturizing with the glycerin but shouldn't aggravate acne or rosacea.

It has NO alcohol in it.

If you are very oily, this will suffice as a moisturizer just by itself.

To save money, shake to mix (you have to with this one) and pour a tsp onto your cupped palm then quickly apply to face and wipe off with cotton pad. This uses a LOT less than soaking a pad, then wiping the face and does the same thing.

MY experiance with this has been it's a wonderful product for use with my sensitive (right now very dry but sometimes combo) skin that has redness, reactivity, mild rosacea and a bit of sebbhorhea. I use it to combat the occaisional pimple from the rosacea, along with sebbhorheic keratosis and as a mild exfoliant for anti aging.

I find the soaps and cleansers in the Clinique line are a bit too harsh (mild gel) or too creamy (extra mild cleanser) but this toner is perfection.

Now all that said, Leslie Baumann in her skin type book says there are skin types who should NOT use ANY toner at all. So your mileage may vary but if you want one of the mildest BHA products around you should give this a try.

And if you are too sensitive for daily use try using it once or twice a week. I don't think once or twice a day is necessary if your skin is thin and sensitive. There is such a thing as overtreatment.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/5/2014 12:55:00 PM More reviews by Carybear

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Well for a while I took a vacation from Clinique products. Recently though I've been having such a hard time with moisturizers the thought of this lotion. Manual exfoliation seems to really upset my skin so I thought that I'd go back to chemical exfoliation. This BHA liquid/toner, not only has the ability to exfoliate the skin but moisturize as well.
I've used this on and off for about five years. I don't know why I keep straying away from it, it r is beautifully formulated, an excellent toner and evens out my cello, olive toned complexion.
I have remarkably sensitive, combination skin that's prone to dehydration and clogged pores. My skin is also undergoing the wreak and ruin of hormonal changes. That means adult acne that responds poorly to BP and other harsher, conventional acne treatments. Those are for younger skins.
So if you're like me, prone to clogged pores and light acne and you cant handle moisturizers without dealing with itchiness, I would definitely recommend this to you.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/5/2014 9:55:00 PM More reviews by Backmasking

Love! I use this after cleansing to balance my skin and to remove any residue. It's moisturizing and doesn't affect my super sensitive skin. I poured the product into a glass spray bottle that I got with a different toner so I don't waste any, and so I could spray onto my face when I feel like it. I wish it came in a larger size like Clinique's other toners.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/10/2013 2:49:00 PM More reviews by lraep

I have used many a toner with harsh alcohol and salicylic acid. My skin burned and cried, even though the toners were pretty effective. I did more research on toners and realized that alcohol is not really good for the skin. Even though I have combination/oily skin, I was lookin for that non-alcohol alternative. I bought this mild clarifying toner from Clinique. I used it the first day and felt like it did nothing ( maybe because there was no burning lol). However, after using 3-4 times a week morning and night , I can say that my skin is hydrated and beautiful and smooth :) it is winter here, so I think this toner might be too moisturizing/leave too much residue in the summer for my oily skin. But for now ....5 STARS! I just wish they made it In a bigger bottle .

rated 5 of 5 on 11/21/2013 1:47:00 PM More reviews by Phoenix761

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I used to use this toner regularly. The texture is on the thicker side, but I love it still. It has a very low level of BHA, and it was not effective enough for me. As an alcohol-free toner it's an excellent choice.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2013 8:11:00 PM More reviews by kkbabygirl89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I bought this along with the cleanser and foundation for the redness line. I love how the product looks, it's got a pearly shine to it, and it's a pretty blue-green. There is no smell at all. When you put it on your skin it feels like a lotion, not a toner. It leaves my skin feeling clean, and removes all makeup that was left over after washing. It's very gentle and does not make skin feel tight. Has not caused me any break outs or reactions. My skins redness has improved a ton, but I am pretty sure that is a result of using all the redness line products by Clinique. I love love this toner so much, and the price is not bad. I will definitely buy this again once it runs out. I use it twice a day. once in the morning, and once at night. Have been using for a few weeks and you can barely tell I've touched it, so it will last a while. I recommend this to anyone. Makeup seems to go on very nice after using this and following up with a lotion. I like this product a lot.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/16/2013 5:42:00 PM More reviews by KAC2009

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I LOVE clinique's Mild Clarifying lotion. The numbered studying lotions were all too harsh on my sensitive skin. This one is amazing and has made such a difference in my skin's texture and clarity. I've been using it for almost five years and never intend to use anything else. I highly recommend this if you have sensitive skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/27/2013 11:48:00 AM More reviews by chachakitty

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Love this. I have oily skin and refuse to use products with alcohol. This has a little bit of sacylic acid in it for an exfoliator and I've found that, with my retina-a, this is a perfect combination for a blemish free complexion. The texture of the lotion is rather thick consistency, like a thin cream. I have to use 3 or 4 cotton balls to cover my whole face. My skin never feels dry or tight after using it, which is so, so nice for someone with oily skin. I'm so used to the products that dry my skin out.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2013 12:19:00 AM More reviews by beautyqueen888

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Wavy, Other Eyes: Green

Love this. I have been using this for 5 years. It is 1% bha with the right ph to work. My skin is sensitive and this is really mild.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/2/2013 7:25:00 AM More reviews by antolin1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Coarse Eyes: Brown

As a self proclaimed beauty product junkie, it pains me to admit this is my first purchase from the Clinique counter. Prior to this I had always walked on by and onto another/other, more expensive brands because I was under the false assumption Clinique products catered only to teen and 20 something skin types. Not so I have learned, and I am now a fan to return! Well, once the 5 products I just purchased run out :-)

This is an excellent toner for dry and patchy skin such as mine. Its contains salicylic acid for exfoliation, which dry skin desperately needs in order to allow next step products to work their magic (serums, lotions). It is also kind of thick and acts somewhat as a light lotion moreso than a toner, adding an extra moisturizing "umph" to one's skincare regime. It contains a ton of beneficial ingredients to feed the skin and is sans detrimental or irritating ingredients such as alcohol, which is a rarity. Matter of fact everything about this product is over the top excellence. The only gripe I have-and its a minor one-is with the packaging: it calls for a waaaaay more effective dispensing process! Such as a pimp or similar, because applying it to cotton balls or rounds is a bit of a nuisance and slightly wasteful IMO. Regardless, this stuff is a lifesaver for dry and/or sensitive skin.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No