September 16, 2014 | 1976 users online

Fragrances - Cabot - Cabot Musk Oil

rated 1 of 5 on 5/23/2014 2:25:00 AM More reviews by dewdrop

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I am absolutely done purchasing this brand's so-called musk that is virtually imperceptible. This has apparently been tweaked again, so what little scent there was in the product of, say, 10 years ago, smells different now, as in a different aroma-chemical being used now in the still barely-there base, and it now seems even MORE diluted! Gone is that faint crystalline-musk quality that was reminiscent of the 1970's musks. I will use up what I have left as a layering base for other scents I own, and then I won't ever buy this "musk perfume oil" again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/29/2013 11:15:00 AM More reviews by sillage

I'm on the fence as to whether or not I would buy this musk again -- probably not. The scent itself is gorgeous -- a truly clean, light, pure, sensuous musk scent -- but the *weakness* of the tiny amount of fragrance in this oil (1/2 oz bottle) is absolutely astonishing. This musk oil smells almost completely fragrance-free, like pure mineral oil. The amount of fragrance they've put into the carrier must be miniscule!

I bought my 2 bottles probably 10 years ago. They tell you (instructions come with the purchase) to put it on a window sill and warm it to bring out the scent. After trying shaking the bottles (didn't work), I then left my bottles on a window sill for around 3 weeks (didn't work either) -- and they've both been sitting in my closet, in boxes, for around 10 years now -- aging -- and I can still hardly smell the fragrance!

I just now rubbed my hands & wrists liberally with the oil -- but the beautiful scent is so incredibly subtle I can hardly smell a thing, even when I put my nose right up to it. And I just put it on! My hands are still shiny from the oil. You have to wait until your skin warms it up, and then you can smell it better -- but just in light subtle whiffs or with your nose planted firmly over your skin.

If you want a very clean, beautiful, and "barely there" musk, it doesn't get any more "barely there" than Cooperlabs/Cabot's The Original Natural Musk Oil (originalmusk.com). I have always found it enormously disappointing & frustrating -- from the time it arrived at my house until now, many years later. Still beautiful, and still disappointing & frustrating.

They do offer your money back if you don't like it, but I thought aging it might help. I've heated & aged it for years now -- I wonder how many decades and how much heat it will take before I can actually smell it loud & clear??

I see on their website that they've changed the bottle from the one I have now, and I wonder if they've changed the formula at all. If I ordered more now, might it be even weaker now than it was 10 years ago? or could they possibly have strengthened it since then? If they haven't strengthened it, I see no point in ordering more, since I've barely used my original 2 bottles.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/20/2011 8:35:00 AM More reviews by tvartdiva

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is the last of the Mohicans chicas!

This is the scent of warm, clean, sensual skin...pure sex! Unlike any musk available today! Believe me I've bought them all from Serge to Kiehl's and head shop oils. Gone are the musk's of the 70's that dared to flare their whiff of sexuality in left in the air as a subtle reminder for your nose to chase after in a frenzy. Musk was intoxicating then, not Egyptian cotton. That sensual note in perfume that teased, tormented and made it impossible to say no. I'm pretty sure it's responsible for creating the "One Nighter." Lets be specific here, the Musk of yesterday and baby it's all gone now. Cabot's weakened version is close, as I've found. You have one better, please share it.

***Note: In the United States we have banned all sale of animal derived musk and gone synthetic. Why you ask? Well... some radical, misinformed, nature loonies were under the impression that the Musk Deer had to be killed in order to extract its musk. WRONG... Musk deer do not have to be killed in order to extract their precious musk. The musk deer have a gland that can humanely have it's oils producing pods removed, or they can be harvested after the deer has dropped them, that's right, actually dropped them right on the ground. A program to educate and stop poaching while encouraging farmers on how to humanely extract their musk without causing injury began in China in the late 1950s. Yep, a long time ago. After the program proved a success, similar programs were implemented in India, Nepal, and Russia. So why are we now limited to synthetic musk or black market specials post 198_? You're guess is as good as mine! Miss it? Go on holiday far, far away, or speak up and help bring it and oakmoss back!

9 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/26/2010 4:47:00 PM More reviews by goldenina

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

loooooooove this!! i even use it as a layer under other fragrances. beautiful.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2010 10:23:00 PM More reviews by bfabulous

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Blue

If I could dip my whole body in this musk oil I would, that's how good it smells. I have never smelled anything this good. I have nine bottles at the moment because I'm always afraid it will one day be discontinued. When you first put this oil on after a bath or shower you can hardly smell it BUT the smell gets stronger as the day gets longer, especially if you sweat a little. I don't know the science behind this oil but it's strange how it works. This is my HG oil. Never ever without it.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 11/3/2008 2:56:00 PM More reviews by lovie1

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've never known a musk perfume that does not have a small. and i love powerful full musk scents. well this smells like nothing absolutly nothing.I'm very disappointed. will not purchase again.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/26/2008 2:38:00 AM More reviews by Redmosaic

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Good reviews on here and Amazon... Weird! because there was zero scent. Nothing from the bottle, nothing on the skin, even after ladling a palm full on my arms in frustration! And we musk lovers know how potent musk can be... and in my opinion, should be! ...this one was NOTHING. It was like putting canola oil on my arms. I notified the company, They did give me a 5 dollar credit. They said they have heard from other customers who said the scent is weak. They recommended putting the bottle in a sunny windowsill and that the heat makes the scent stronger. Well, I put it in a hot hot window for over 6 weeks, my co worker and I would check the scent every week and there was a hint of what the scent would be, if it were stronger. And I have to say, it was nice. But it was so faint, so fleeting,so NOTHING. Do not waste your hard earned money on this. But please let me know if you do find a good strong musk. I am still searching!

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 6/29/2008 10:15:00 AM More reviews by makeupqueen26

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is one of the best smelling musks I have ever had the pleasure of wearing. Comfort scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/22/2007 1:35:00 AM More reviews by saraj

This takes me back to 1970s hanging around one of my friends, who was the "Bad Girl" , and she happened to wear this fragrance. In fact, she was the only one of the bunch that wore fragrance. At times, when I would be where musk oil was sold, I would sample the different kinds, but couldn't find that particular scent from the past. I was searching the internet for musk, and saw Original Musk from Cabot, and that plain bottle looked familiar, so I ordered it. When I received it, There it was again! How I love that scent! It is very subtle, and I think I would like it to be stronger, but then that just may ruin it. I do wish that it came in bigger bottles. This oil is heavenly. 1/2 ounce for 12.00 is very reasonable also.

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2006 7:37:00 PM More reviews by BasiaS

This is a very soft, sweet and cuddly musk with a touch of soap in the drydown. I'm surprised at all of those comments about people not being able to smell it, because it's quite present on my skin (then again, my skin does amplify all musks, so something like NR for Her is incredibly strong on me). The oil never turns plasticky nor unpleasant - I like it! This is available through ebay and countless etailers.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No