April 16, 2014 | 1463 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Radiance Colorgloss translucent deposit only color

rated 4 of 5 on 4/8/2014 9:15:00 PM More reviews by ClassyChic01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I've used this product twice to tone down too bright blonde highlights and add more gold tones. I have naturally straight light brown hair with blonde highlights. The first time I used a combination of half 8GB and 1/4 combo of 10N and 8N. I left it on for under 10 mins and the results were a bit too dark and too orange for my taste. However, the highlights were still visible, just less bright/white. After about 6-7 weeks and lots of clarifying and violet-based shampoo, the color had finally faded to a nice golden blonde. I tried to get my stylist to match the color when it was time for my highlight touch-up, but inevitably, the highlights seemed to be getting too light again (my stylist uses bleach and then uses a demi as a "gloss" all over). I always preferred to get highlights with high-lift color over bleach because of the softer affect but I had been dyeing my hair darker with demi color for a while, so she had to use bleach. This time I used half 10GB and a little less than half 10N with equal parts developer. I washed my hair with a gentle moisturizing shampoo and combed it out. Then I set the timer for 8 mins and just put the color on the roots and first 4 inches or so (above the ears). At 5 mins I added some conditioner to help comb through and during the last minute, I combed the color through to the ends while adding more conditioner. The result was still very golden but a little less dark than last time. I think this would have been perfect if I had added some clear to dilute the deposit. Overall though, I am pleased with result since I was going for a softer effect with lots of gold undertones. My hair was also very shinny and felt soft and not at all damaged. Just be careful when using the GB because it is very intense gold. Also, this color develops very fast, so be careful and work quickly when distributing color. Remember to chose a color at least 2 shades lighter than your desired result. I wanted a medium golden blonde so I chose the level 10 (very light blonde) and that's about the result that I got.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/15/2013 10:16:00 PM More reviews by clp0930

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love it. I had lightened my hair to a strawberry blonde but I grew to hate it. I stopped dying my hair and the ends faded to a bit more. it looked horrible but I wanted a good idea of my natural hair color.

I mixed one part clear shine with one part 6n, I applied it to damp hair and i left it on for 7-8 minutes. I love how it looks. There is a slight difference between my natural hair (a dark golden blonde) and my dyed ends but you have to really look.

My hair is also really soft and shiny now. Since i'm growing out my hair I'll keep using this. My only complaint is it's very runny, also the directions are a little vague. I did research before buying so I knew to dilute the color and leave it on for 10 minutes or less. If you're covering gray or going for a very different color 20 minutes *might* be ideal but for shine or a slight correction 5-10 minutes, diluted should be enough.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2013 6:05:00 PM More reviews by birdcam

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I should have used a lighter color or mixed the Light Natural Blonde with clear, but I don't care...my hair looks so damn good! I was trying to tone my highlights which were just about platinum; I probably left it on too long, but I WILL use it again...probably will dilute the Light Natural Blonde with clear. My hair is shiny, looks like it was never processed! The highlights are still there, just more subtle; it's a WAY better look than the harsh color they were before...plus the healthy appearance. As everyone else has said, the color will be much darker than the swatch, so be warned. 5 minutes is probably the max you should leave it on if you have porous hair...but I can't see how this stuff can ever give a look that isn't presentable. I WILL WILL WILL buy again!!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/2/2013 1:28:00 AM More reviews by Mysticrhythm

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I thought I'd add my review just in case anyone in my predicament (henndigoed hair) would find it useful. So anyone who hasn't henndingoed can probably just skip my review. ;)

I've been coloring my own hair for the last year using "henndingo", a mix of pure body art quality powdered henna and indigo plants that I mix myself, and which work for a lot of ladies who want lovely brunette hair with reddish highlights. Unfortunately, for me, the indigo portion of the mix would never adhere well to my hair until I'd done it several times, resulting in lovely hair for about a week, then brunette length with about 4 inches of increasingly henna-orange roots (where i have huge sections of grey hair) for the next three weeks. I finally got tired of only having great hair for several days after coloring so I decided to stop using the henndingo altogether. The problem is, henna and indigo are PER-MA-NENT. Like, if you bleach or otherwise try to lift the color, if you're LUCKY you'll see no change at all in the color. If you're unlucky, and this happens a lot lol, the orange henna gets somewhat lifted but the indigo, being even more permanent than henna, stays behind. You are in others words left with lovely zombie-green hair. If you've ever played World of Warcraft, and are familiar with the Forsaken....like THAT kind of green lol. So you can imagine my trepidation in trying any other coloring products on my hair. But I had to do something, because I was getting sick of my roots and I need to cover them till all the henndingo is grown out and cut off.

Enter this lovely little deposit only color. The developer the color is mixed with contains a low amount of peroxide, apparently just enough to lift the cuticle a bit to help the color deposit. I figured it wouldn't be enough to interact with the indigo and give me Halloween-ready hair. I did a test strand first and it didn't look funky, so I went ahead and did my whole head. Awesome results! I used the medium light brown since other ladies said it gets darker than expected, and it did go quite a dark brown, but then again I did leave it on 30 minutes since before I got a chance to remove it my 2 year old daughter woke and it took me a bit to get her back down. No hint of green anywhere, my greys are very well covered (I don't have resistant grey though) and its toned down the henna highlights in my hair tremendously well. I did deep condition immediately after with Sally's version of Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm (my HG condish as I have dry, wavy/curly hair) and my hair is super soft and shiny. There's only a hint of processing smell in my hair, by all means the least I've ever had from any home or salon processing experience.

I'll update my review on how well the color lasts (keeping in mind my hair seems to love deposit only dyes...Manic Panic Vampire Red is permanent on my henndingoed and virgin hair lol), but even if it fades and needs reapplication every 3 or so weeks I'll be more than happy at this price point to do so. Not to mention ease of application. Mix the stuff up and apply to towel dried hair, process, rinse, condition...as easy as any deep conditioning treatment I've done.

So far...I'm in love!

Edit: I've had this on for two weeks now. There has been some fading, of course, but I'm glad of that as it did apply darker than I wanted, and the fading is minor tbh. It seems to be sticking to my greys very well, I was afraid they'd fade the fastest. I'm very happy with how it's turned out on me and I will definitely purchase again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/13/2013 5:10:00 PM More reviews by Principesa

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I have fine straight dark brown shoulder length hair with a few grays. I used to use Clairol Natural Instincts but a couple years ago decided to treat myself to salon color and highlights. I recently wanted to go back to a natural brown but the stylist turned it almost black and then had to highlight anyway. Basically I just want brown hair but the stylist kept advising I would not be happy without blonde highlights. I finally gave up and cancelled my last appointment, so have not had any color in 4 months and had an inch or two of dark brown growth with a few grays. The rest was a dark brown base with faded brassy highlights and reddish ends. I just could not believe I could not get some normal brown hair so I checked on this site and found these reviews. I went to Sally Beauty last weekend thinking I would try either light natural brown or dark natural blonde since several reviews said this stuff comes out dark. I was so nervous as I have never used pro products and had no idea what I needed. The nice salesperson helped me choose light natural brown and the infuser with instructions to pour 2 ounces infuser into a squirt applicator then add the 2 ounces of color gloss. I almost backed out but it was less than $10 not including the bottle and gloves so why not? I was getting results I did not like for 10 times that. The salesperson reassured me I would not damage my hair with deposit only. I applied to towel dried hair, consistency was not runny, after I did the root area which took a few minutes I did the ends which were so processed looking I was worried they would take too much so only left it on another 5 minutes. Probably less than 10 minutes on before I rinsed it out even though the infuser/developer said 15 or 20. Followed with Aveda Color Conserve conditioner. The whole process turned out to be quick and easy with very good results. My hair came out a rich dark brown with natural looking lighter tones where highlights had been. Gray coverage was good, a few strands missed but probably my application technique, I think I would leave it on roots a few minutes longer next time. Actually my husband thinks this makes it look more natural. He is happy to have his brunette wife again. I got several compliments and people wanted to know which product I used. They could not believe I did it myself and for so cheap! Not sure how long color will last, looks good after a week of daily washing. I definitely would use this product again.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/8/2013 10:06:00 PM More reviews by Donnie130

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Oily, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have been using Color Radiance for years. I love it. I had forgotten about it until a recent mishap. I have used Clairol Multi tone for years and always got a honey blond color from the Medium Golden Blonde 104. Until this week that is, the name has been changed to Natural MGB so maybe the formula has changed as well, it would have been nice to know. It came out very light, a champagne blonde vs dark honey. I am not sure what happened. I am very unhappy with Clairol.

I did not know what I was going to do, then I remembered this product. I remembered how much shine it gave my hair, how healthy it looked and I now wonder why I stopped using it. I am going back to this deposit only color and will never look back.
It is very easy to use, really hard to mess up the process since it is a translucent color.
It never seemed to damage my hair and if I was not in love with the new color very easy to fix it.

I am going to use it so will up date asap.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2013 7:47:00 PM More reviews by tori497

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Thank you SO MUCH to all the MUA reviewers- this is my new favorite hair color!! About six months back, I had a somewhat traumatic at home, box hair coloring experience. The results were an unflattering, brassy, light brown shade and I was left scrambling to fix it. After a few temporarily successful but ultimately damaging results, I decided to try this based on MUA reviews. This was by far my most successful at home coloring experience EVER!!

Before coloring, my hair was light brassy brown; my dream shade is a medium, cool brown.The color and developer are super easy to mix and apply. I shampooed my hair (but did not condition) and towel dried. For the first time EVER, the color went on in less than five minutes on my entire head of mid-back length hair with minimal mess. (For reference, I used a clairol application bottle I picked up, along with the color and infuser at Sally's). Once mixed, the scent is nice and light- not AT ALL like your typical at home hair color. I left on for about 15 minutes and rinsed, then deep conditioned. I used one part dark, natural blonde and one part light ash brown to two parts color infuser and it turned out a medium, cool brown; just what I wanted!!

The color is amazing and my hair is softer and glossier than with any other hair color I've ever used. For me, I think the low volume developer made all the difference in getting the results I've always wanted but have never achieved. It is super gentle and left my hair in better condition than before I colored. The shade selection is great and application a breeze. I will update as the color fades but I can see myself using this as long as they make it.

UPDATE 9/16/2013: Four weeks and change and this color is still going strong! The "fade out" is sooo gradual and not at all like any other hair color I've ever used- I am not seeing any brass peeking through at all!! I am being complimented constantly on how healthy and shiny my hair looks and how rich the color is. Still in love with this color!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/21/2013 7:15:00 AM More reviews by hennared

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Just used this product for the first time - but not on my own hair. I color human hair wigs, which has its own peculiarities (as compared to growing live hair), for one because it is often quite processed. I like to use the least damaging products I can find, but ones that won't coat the hair shaft excessively (and cause tangling). This product seemed to fit the bill. Used the 6GB, 6N and clear, on a wig that was day glow orange copper; processed for 20 minutes. It came out a bit dark, but now the piece is a lovely natural coppery auburn - MUCH nice than it started out! I did find the product to be a bit drying, as commented here. Will definitely use again the next time I need some mild to wild color correction.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/24/2012 7:34:00 PM More reviews by jleeahh

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I am OBSESSED with this product. I had bleach blonde hair for a long time and finally got tired of the root grow out and money it costs to touch it up so I wanted to go back to my natural. I naturally have dark blonde to light brown hair color, and I heard colorgloss tends to come out about 2 shades darker than it says. I got light natural blonde 8n and it turned out AMAZING! My roots blend it perfectly and it looks more like a dark dark blonde and brown when its wet. I love it. It made my hair shiny and soft and healthy feeling and it gives my hair natural highlights and looks very dimensional. It also isn't brassy or green at all, and slightly on the ashier side but definitely looks natural. I LOVE this hair color it is by far the best I've ever used. Five star all the way.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2012 7:01:00 PM More reviews by michaelannek

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This has been my favorite do-it-yourself hair color so far. I went to the salon for years in TX and had gone blonde most recently, but when I moved to VT, a good hair coloring session was almost $350 - way too much for me. Any cheaper, and you only get single-process color. Well, why can't I just do that myself and save $100? (actually, I know why, it's because I'm really picky about my hair, but the stylist I went to didn't do that great of a job, anyway.)

I went to Sally Beauty and tried the Ion demi-permanent the first time and was kind of disappointed. This time, I tried the semi-permanent Radiance Colorgloss, based on reviews I found here (Second Nature and Natural Match weren't available at the Sally's here, of course). It appealed to me because it was color-deposit only, and because it allowed natural hair tones to show through. It did just what it said it would, too.

I bought 3A and 2N and mixed them together - I like dark brown hair, like my natural color, but my hair always pulls lots of red, so I absolutely needed the ash in there and they didn't have 2A (it's VT!). It turned out exactly as I had hoped, and my husband likes it, too. I colored it about 5 weeks ago, and the color is still going strong. You can see some of the remnants of my blonde highlights as a lighter shade of brown, which makes me happy, but that means it might not do the best job of coloring grays, if that's your thing.

This was really easy to use (much easier and cheaper than the boxes, IMHO), just mix it with an equal amount of 20 developer, brush on, and wait 25 minutes. Simple. Looks actually better than when I went to the last salon up here. Glad I came across this, and I look forward to using the other half of what I bought whenever I need to color again (which doesn't look like any time soon).