December 17, 2014 | 1703 users online

Treatments (Face) - Renova - generic Rx

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2013 8:46:00 PM More reviews by cindyhartley

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'm writing to update on the reliability of using Medsmex (Medicinesmexico.com) as a source for generic Renova (Retacnyl, manufactured by Galderma in France). I've ordered .025 strength Retacnyl three times ... This is absolutely the best, most effective night cream I've ever used. The emollient vehicle for the tretinoin active ingredient is perfect for my dry, hypersensitive skin. I'm still applying the .025 cream to my face and neck every other night, but I will experiment with using the .05 strength soon.
Here is the sequence I've successfully used when ordering from Medsmex: first, I pay with electronic check and include an actual check # which I'm careful to tear up from my checkbook so this check # wouldn't accidentally be submitted to my bank twice. About ten days later, Medsmex calls me to verify that I authorize this payment to them. (The caller sounds like a native English speaker.) Finally, the Retacnyl cream is delivered via USPS within about two weeks, and I have to be present to sign for the delivery. I think that Medsmex is trying to be very careful and 'legal' because they want US customers.
The price for .025 generic Renova is $27, and you're allowed to buy a total of three for each order. I also buy three .05 Tretinoin creams which I use on the backs of my hands; this cream costs $12.50. It doesn't have the excellent emollient of Retacnyl, but it's great for my hands. There is one price for shipping - $20 - so I order the maximum possible each time. The entire process takes about 4 weeks, and I live in San Diego. I've been happy with Medsmex, I love their products, and I'll definitely order again.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/16/2013 7:27:00 PM More reviews by sutton123

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have not seen anything recent on generic Renova or Medsmex.com. I did my research and took over a month before finally ordering from Medsmex. Despite a lot of the negative reviews and advise, I really wanted to try the Renova (generic). I used to use the Brand name years ago but the price went from $150.00 to $300.00 and I could not afford it.

Here is what I did to ensure a safe payment. I went to Chase Bank (( hear PNC also offers this) and purchased a one-time use (cannot be reloaded) gift card VISA. I knew the exact amount I needed but added about $8.00 more in the event there was an additional charge for an international purchase at either end. (There wasn't).

I then REGISTERED the Visa card on the bank website so that the Visa had a Billing Address attached to it (this ensures your purchase is verified and will go through. I did create a separate email account just for purchase from this company to be even more safe as to not have my email distributed. I received notificatons from the moment of purchase, to shipment, to delivery. The one email that concerned me is that they sent me an email saying they do everything they can to ensure delivery and not to have to pick up from a post office. This concerned me as I work during the daytime when mail is delivered.. However I did come home and received the notice from the USPS and that I could pick up the package the next day, which I did. No questions asked and no addiitional fees (though a driver's license was requested as well as an electronic signature).

The Renova is generic and does not smell as lovely as the Brand Renova but oh well, for a significant difference I was ok with that. I believe the generic Renova was $26.00 plus $19.99 shipping. I will be sure and order more next time. I placed the order on a thursday and received the package within 7 business days.

I love Renova and have seen little or no difference. Other than the Generic does not have the pleasant smell. I hope this helps someone as I spent alot of time looking for reviews of (1) Medmex.com safety in ordering and a workaround so as not to use your credit card. I would never use a credit card, use a one time use gift card; and (2) if the generic version of Renova was just as good. IT IS.

11/21/13: I would like to share an update. I most recently purchased the generic form f Renactyl which is medmex's generic form of Renova.. The generic form comes in a .05 so it is stronger than renactyl. It is one half of the price and works pretty much THE same if not better. For 12.00 I get a tube that lasts months. I highly recommend this product and will order again. Medsmex most recently was not accepting credit cards but they have since fixed this. You can only order three tubes of any particular product. When I order again I will order three renactyl and three generic to ensure I never run out.
Have a great day.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/23/2010 1:28:00 PM More reviews by JudgeJudy41

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought and use the generic brand from MedMex. Inexpensive it is, but found the Nia 24 works better for me. Nia 24 contains a sufficient amount of A and other "goodies" that makes my skin look great. Wanting to cut financial corners, I believe the generic Renova only works on a small scale. I started with the 0.025 ( second level ) and have experienced mild irritation and peeling. After three months use ( 1 x weekly ) there aren't any real changes. Nia's Skin Strengthening cream feels moist & soothing. I'll use up the small tube and keep with my beloved Nia 24 line. So much for cutting financial corners ;-)

Update: I've started using Gyltone's Mild Cream Wash w/glycolic acid and having great results. You can read my review for the wash in Glytone product reviews. My skin looks and feels smoother. I'm still sticking with the Nia 24 and adding squalane oil to my daily routine.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/20/2010 12:34:00 AM More reviews by valentynka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I am very disappointed but Renova DID NOT work for me - on contrary made my skin worse.

I do not really suffer from acne, but after getting off birth control pill, my skin condition deteriorated, got oilier with some clogged pores, slight pigmentation around one eye and first fine lines.
Happily I read all the enthusing reviews [ignored the bad/warning ones] and thought to have found solution to all my skin problems.
I followed as directed, smallest [pea size] amount, 20-30 min after cleaning, once a week, later twice.
The cream dried me to extreme - experienced
flaking&itching, eczema [never had it] like areas on both cheeks, blotchy skin of harsh texture, all of which persisted for weeks - tried to skip a week or two and start again - same results
I grew sensitive, reactive to my usual cosmetics [well with one exception, thank God] though relatively gentle&fragrance free, yet was unable to calm my skin with pure chamomile tea, fresh aloe or natural oils, even washing my skin became pain.

I have to, after 4 months, give up [though knowing me, might chance it again in summer, perhaps the humidity will help - I just never learn...]

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2009 8:42:00 AM More reviews by Honeyrider1977

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I can't comment on the generic Renova, I've only used the real stuff. With that said this product is AMAZING. It's honestly the only anti-aging/beauty product I've used that does everything it says and more. My skin never looked better while using this product. However I'm sad to say that after about 1 year I had to discontinue use. Not because of any problems, but my skin just quit "reacting" to the product. Skin is an organ, and just like other prescription meds this stuff can quit working after your body "adjusts" so to speak. I'm not saying this happens to everyone, this was just my experience. This would not discourage me from recommending this to anyone though... It's still the best product I've used to date. I'm now using organic products on my skin, and may try an organic version of this product to see how it works out.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2009 8:27:00 AM More reviews by nicollette

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Black

I've been using this for about 3 months and my skin has done a 360! The benefits far outweigh the hassle of being diligent with sunscreen use and proper protection for outdoors. Before using this I had prematurely aged skin, was extremely flakey, loss of collagen due to harsh acne medications, hyperpigmentation, acne (mainly zits) and the start of some wrinkles (I'm only 17, that's how bad my skin was). My skin is totally unrecognisable now, that is not an overstatement. I went outside without makeup for the first time in years and my friend said my skin looked great! Lets just talk about the results:
- Wrinkles virtually gone
- Eliminated flakyness
- Got rid of most my acne, the occasional hormonal zit is all I get
- Significantly improved my hyperpigmentation, will be 100% gone once my old acne heals
- ALOT more firm and has reversed most of the damage
- Evens out skintone to one uniform colour
- Has the retinoid glow
- Makeup goes on like a DREAM
- Just has that plump, healthy look about it

Their are alot of other benefits and boy does it feel great to have good skin again thanks to this little gem. I'm currently using 0.05% but will be bumping up to 0.1% in a few months to see if I can get more drastic results. The recommended period for maximum results is 1 year and I've only been using it for about 3-4 months...I can't wait to see how my skin looks later on :) For all the girls having problems with flakyness/purging, wait it out, it will soon pass. During that time I switched to a cream cleanser, a gentle exfoliator for the flakies and my skin was crying for moisture. Mixing in Trilogy Rosehip Oil with your moisturizer really helps (rosehip oil has traces of retinoic acid in them). I barely get any flakes, except around my mouth, but nothing that a little exfoliation won't get rid of.

Hope this helps girls and I can't stress how important it is to wear sunscreen whilst on this. This product thins your epidermis (top layer of your skin) but thickens your dermis (bottom layer) thus making you more prone to sunburn. You don't want to erase all the positives of this HG product because you missed an application. Good luck. Will update in about 3 months time!

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/3/2009 4:24:00 AM More reviews by coloredpencils

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I order Renova from Medsmex.com as many others below.

I have both .25 and 50. Can only use the higher strength in the summer when my skin is more oily. Now using the .25 (after two years of messing around with other formulations to maintain the AMAZING results that Retin-A can bring if you get it "right.")

The Renova .25 formulation is the best for "intolerant" skin that gets too dry from everything and anything and the only way, after "a certain age" to keep the skin in check, i.e., age gracefully. As indicated, it is the best formulation to "maintain" results.

One cannot expect miracles, but one certainly expect Renova to keep the skin plump and smoother without having to resort to hormone medication and the the health issues that come along with prolonged menopausal hormone treatment. I suppose this is a PSA as much as a hurrah for Renova.

Highly recommend.

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2009 3:10:00 AM More reviews by bett

This is a review for Renactyl from Medsmex - I am using the .025 right now - it's been about three weeks and I am still purging, but I can see the beginnings of smooth skin and it has already started wiping out my melasma from my pregnancy 6 years ago.

I have to put a warning here - When I went to buy online medsmex had run out and so I something called Retino (also tretinoin in a cream base) at .05 but rather than giving me smooth skin, the purge was hideous and I felt it was not helping old pimples or scars. It didn't help my melasma much. I used it for about 3 months applying about 4 times a week.

My skin: at 44 I have only the finest of wrinkles, barely visible except an occasional 1 line on my forehead - no wrinkling around my eyes (I use fast lift eye serum from Isomers). I have started breaking out again, but only on one side of my face (the dreaded perimenopause?!). I have slight melasma on both sides of my face from being pregnant in Africa. I have been looking for something to help with the breakout, clear the melasma, and overall smooth my skin texture. This appears to even help with the 1 line on my forehead (it's not there every day) but it might also be that it's spring and winters where I live are very harsh.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/17/2009 1:34:00 PM More reviews by linseyp

I tried this for about six months and never could overcome the purging, dryness, peeling, flaking, irritation,and redness, so I gave up. But lately I've been using the smallest amount (half a pea) once a week and my skin is tolerating it. I guess I 'm just one of those people that has to use in extreme moderation. And that's fine - I hope this time around I can actually start reaping the benefits instead of only the horrific side effects.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/10/2009 9:25:00 PM More reviews by HypoCrisy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

After 4 yrs of use I finally understand why women of all ages look at me!