November 26, 2014 | 1715 users online

Fragrances - Chanel - Chanel No 5 - Velvet Body Cream

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2014 8:41:00 PM More reviews by Shadow_Witch

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have used this product before. I recently repurchased a jar at a Chanel counter. My new cream does not smell anything like the bottom of my previous jar of No 5 cream. My new jar has smells STRONG, with a crisp, ylang ylang and neroli thing going on with a spicy incense-y powdery dry down. I was perplexed because it doesn't smell like No 5. It smells EXACTLY like Chanel No 22. I haven't worn No 22 since I ran out of it 10 years ago but I still have my bottle. Craziness. I posted this review because I read other reviews where MUAers had expressed dissatisfaction at the new cream. Maybe you got a jar filled with No 22 like I did?

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/3/2014 10:35:00 PM More reviews by staci01

I've tried to like no. 5 since the early 90's when I was in middle school. Made it a point to sniff the scent at least once a year and every year it was the same in that I just could not fall in love with it. My throat would feel cottony and close up due to the aldehydes. I wanted so much to be able to wear it but it wasn't meant to be. Then a few years ago I was given a sample sachet of the Velvet Body Cream and I used a small amount from time to time. Didn't hate or love it. Then one night I decided to really make an effort to try it out again and make up my mind. This led me to falling in love with it! The note I detect immediately in this is the vetiver, then the lemon and the aldehydes are toned waaaay down unlike the EDT. I started noticing that I felt very relaxed after an hour or so of application and this led to the discovery that no 5 contains rose, jasmine and ylang ylang. All three of these oils contribute to stress reduction. Rose tells the brain to stop pumping out cortisol, which is the stress hormone, and jasmine has been found to act like a tranquilizer in rats and people coming off of some prescription drug addictions. I've been having a hard time falling asleep for over three years and take different tinctures, teas and herb extracts to help me sleep. When I want to take a break from herbs and teas I use the no 5 cream and it takes awhile for my mind to wind down but it does affect me eventually which then helps me sleep. I appreciate that I can use it to smell nice , soften my skin and keep my mind at peace. The price at $80 is great cause so little is needed, like maybe 1/4 of a teaspoon, to pack a nice scent punch. The jar will last forever. I haven't tried the parfum yet so I can't comment on it. I ended up purchasing the EDP and Intense Bath Oil after falling in love with the cream, also acquired a sample of the EDT which I still strongly dislike, and so far the cream is my favorite interpretation of no 5. As for the jar it's in? It's very classy, simple, black lid and white jar, very Chanel. Some interesting facts about the jar is that the components are made separately. One company makes the lids and they purposely have a little heft to them to convey the quality that Chanel is known for. Another company makes the jars, if I remember correctly, and they apply a special UV coating to the jars to protect the cream within. Very impressive that Chanel thinks of these things in a day and age of "hurry up and make a buck". If you want to try no 5 I'd suggest trying the Velvet Body Cream first to test the waters. At $80 it won't bite into your wallet too much not to mention due to the ad campaigns from last Christmas, and the one prior, Chanel has really jacked the price up on the whole no 5 line. Wonderful cream and will make sure to replenish this as to always have some in my collection!

rated 5 of 5 on 8/24/2013 3:22:00 PM More reviews by misscocktail

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

super cream! not sticky, true to the parfume, non greasy feel and classy jar.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/26/2013 1:14:00 AM More reviews by benzippo

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

After reading all the great reviews of Chanel No 5 Velvet Body Cream, I head down to my regular Chanel counter and requested for a sample sachet and since they do not have any, they so kindly gave me small jar instead (scooped from a original sized tester jar - Made in France version) and thus, tried it at home and found it revaishing especially layering it with NO. 5 Eau Premiere or the No. 5 EDT and EDP and even when used on its own, it is equally delicious smelling and very close to vintage No 5..

After testing it for a few days, I had decided to purchase it and when I reached home and opened it, found that the fragrance is so watered down and lighter as compared to the sample (even though still distinctively No 5) they gave me.

When compared side my side, my dissappointment is comfirmed, It is definitely different in terms of sillage, longevity and lushness.

For the texture of the cream, there is no issues at all as it is very moiturizing without a hint of stickiness and easily absorbed when applied.

Then came the interesting part...the tester at the counter, "Made In France", the version I bought..."Made In USA".

So wonder is it due to the different country that it made or has the fragrance in the cream too, been re-formulated (which I strongly suspected) to just the shadow of its past just like the EDT, EDP and Parfum Extrait?

As a YSL SA put it in terms of Opium re-formulation, whether we like it or not, this is the best and closest that we can at least buy presently for our favorite fragrances and Chanel No. 5 in every product from body line to fragrance strengths (EDT, EDP and Parfum Extrait) are no exception.

So sad but seems like that is the un-fortunate fate for nearly all classic fragrances...Sigh...

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/15/2013 1:53:00 AM More reviews by bobbyvonmarc

My husband gave me this as a gift today (Valentine's Day). I absolutely LOVE it! It is sooo deliciously scented (you don't even need to wear perfume with this) and it feels so soft and velvety on the skin.
The packaging looks amazing (as with any Chanel product); elegant and beautiful.
I don't think this cream is expensive; there is quite a bit of product in the jar and a little goes a long way. I think it will last me quite some time.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2013 1:52:00 PM More reviews by Noonie95

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

Well i didnt use it yet, i tried it in Galeries Lafayette and bought it
It smells AMAZING
it smells powdery just like babies' powder
When i was on the way home i was smellinb my hand all the time
And yes it is hydrated
My hands are DRY
love it
And its packaging is Nice (luxary)
If i finished it i will try the lotion :)

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 5/19/2012 11:57:00 PM More reviews by LolaButterflies05

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've purchased this product 5 times is about to purchase again. I wear this product every time I travel out of the country. It feels velvety and the scent lasts all day. It is potent and you only need a small amount. I love the look of the Chanel jar this creme comes in. It is so sophisticated, elegant, strong and classy. I kept all my Chanel Body Creme jars because they are too beautiful to toss. This is my favorite perfume body creme. I will do a review on my other body creme that smells just as beautiful.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/9/2011 1:07:00 PM More reviews by Tracy7366

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Absolutely beautiful product, really does make skin feel like velvet and smell divine.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2011 1:48:00 AM More reviews by LastNameAvailable

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

Oh Chanel, how I love thee! My favorite teacher, who was probably only in her early or mid twenties at the time, would slip out a bottle each Friday afternoon at the end of the last class and dab a tiny bit on her neck after letting us out. She was so pretty and elegant, the perfume came to embody timeless feminine class.

Finally many years later, after sampling the edt and edp in a department store I chose the body cream as it tempered the aldehydes a little while letting the body of the fragrance shine. A "good parts" No. 5, if you will. Also, with the creme you can get a more precise application. Do not be fooled that this is just a watery half hearted peripheral to the perfume-- this cream is potent! In terms of scent it most closely resembles the edp to my nose and I can't imagine actually using it as a lotion. Just once I made the mistake of smearing a little on my arms and legs after a shower to moisturize. Oh boy, I stunk up the room! Usually a little dab, judiciously applied, is more than enough.

I've had my jar for about eight years and I've hardly made a dent. The color of the cream has morphed to a pale peach (It was white to begin with.) but the scent is still true.

While I can't imagine ever needing to repurchase it because the jar is large and the scent strong, if the cream ever went bad I would. It is just that good. If you have shied away from No. 5 or Chanel in general, I really do suggest trying the creams. They cut back on some of the bite while still being true to the character of the perfumes.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2010 2:08:00 PM More reviews by cmayes71

I love the scent of this and the texture is so luxurious. It has a very sexy smell. To me it smells better than the perfume. I got it to layer with my chanel No. 5 eau premiere perfume which I also love. Some said this is scented very strongly which is what I had hoped for but on my skin this isn't the case. It smells lovely close up but it is not strongly scented on me. You would have to come in close to smell it. When I run out I will repurchase along with the Eau premiere perfume.