September 16, 2014 | 1916 users online

Sunscreen - COTZ - SPF 58

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2014 5:14:00 PM More reviews by FitFemme

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is for the tinted face sunblock, SPF 40. HG. Acts like a primer, blends well with a variety of foundations (I currently have three in rotation), effective sunblock. I have fair skin that burns easily, with sunspots due to 40 years as an active, lifelong Angeleno. Loving this Cotz for face. Skin looks fresh and matte, not dry, and definitely not greasy. Will never buy another SPF for face!

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2013 3:17:00 PM More reviews by GiGiQue

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This (The Cotz 58) is a soothing sunscreen that does not irritate my uber-oily, hyper-sensitive skin. As a reviewer wrote below, it IS like a tinted moisturizer with sunscreen added. It is a little thick, it takes a little time to set/"dry", and it does have a faint whitish cast (I'm NC30) once "dry." I use this on dry, sunny days instead of foundation, and top it with powder--and it DOES look like I've done my makeup nicely. It doesn't control my oil, nor my sweating, although it is listed as water resistant. It DOES transfer--everywhere....which doesn't work for me. Hence, I only use it as a makeup/foundation replacement. This requires oil-removal.

The Good: Soothing, Non-Irritating, Great Sun-Protection, skin feels amazing after wearing this all day (post-cleansing), has not broken me out or given me clogs/blackheads. Is a good "all in one" product for daily face-wear if going to office or just out and about. NOT great for 12-hour, sweaty shifts (tint/coloring transfers to medical masks).

The Cons: This transfers like crazy! Can't be worn on body because it leaves blotches (tinted) on whatever touches it! Can't blot your face with a towel, because the tint comes off on the towel (although most of it stays on your face). It is a great makeup replacement, but that's not exactly what I want when I go to the beach or am active outdoors. NOT sweatproof.

I have repurchased, but I am hoping to find a better product. I love my Sunkiller Kid's Milk (Japanese Sun Screen), but it's not available in the US, and I want/need to find something here in the USA--and that can be used for body too.

Update: I have discovered that a light dusting of Black Opal Oil Blocking Powder looks great over this, and keeps me much matter during the day. It's an excellent combo for me. I still wouldn't recommend Cotz58 for very active/humid days; will stick with my tried & true Sunkiller Baby Milk (Now named Sunkiller Mild Milk for 2013) for active/humid days.

Update (8/10/13): I have discovered CoTZ - Face Sunscreen for Natural Skin Tones, SPF 40; I like this MUCH better. It looks better on my skin, has good staying power, controls oil (for me) relatively well, and I can use this instead of foundation. It works well even in humidity, and does not transfer as much as the Cotz 58. I will finish up my backup tubes of Cotz 58, but am using CoTZ Face for daily wear instead of foundation, and am loving it.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/15/2013 11:16:00 AM More reviews by Kourki13

This is a review for this product and the COTZ Natural Skin SPF40.

SPF58: I was looking for a good tinted mineral sunscreen since mineral sunscreens always make me look like a ghost, even though I have very pale skin. This stuff is not it. It comes out of the tube with visible brown particles in it, which fortunately do not hurt or show up on my face when I apply it. The tiny is mild and blends perfectly. It's easy to apply and stays on all day. The big downside is that it's very drying to my dry winter skin, no matter how moisturizer I apply the night before. I think this would be great for those with oily skin, but I can't wear this in the wintertime. The COTZ Natural Skin SPF40, which I've reviewed, is a much better product. I give it a 3.

Natural Skin SPF40: This stuff is nice. It blends easily and beautifully, dries very easily, doesn't feel heavy or greasy, and doesn't break me out. I'm very pale and the color gave me the tiniest tint of a tan, which was very natural looking. It was matte all day, with a tiny bit of oul from mu forehead starting to show in the afternoon, but i just blotted. It accentuates dry skin, but anything with mineral sunscreen does and this does it much less than other sunscreens I've tried. The downsides are that it has only 3% zinc, which is not enough for good UVA protection. Plus, it is too during for my winter skin. I love the way it applies, looks, and feels, but it's too drying no matter how much I moosturize the night before. This would be great for those with oily skin. I give it a 5.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/11/2012 10:05:00 PM More reviews by feebeewhiskers

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is another review for Fallene Face Cotz SPF 40. I don't have any idea why this stuff is not more popular!! I have VERY sensitive skin, especially to sun screens- they tend to set my sensitive skin on fire. Face Cotz is PERFECT. The texture is amazing! It's a dry consistency and goes on siiiiiilky smooth. It's almost like a primer...

As far as being water resistant- I went on a float trip down a local river a few weeks ago and used this product on my face, neck, chest and shoulders. Used a water resistant chemical spray sun screen for my back, arms and legs. I reapplied the spray sun screen multiple times and only reapplied Face Cotz once. Want to guess which parts of me were burnt after floating in the river for 8 hours and which parts WEREN'T?!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2012 10:09:00 PM More reviews by Katjensen

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

There's no category on MA for Fallene Face Cotz SPF 40, but it's a miracle product! The texture is dry and smooth, and it doesn't rub off on clothing. It's great on the face, neck, chest, arms and back of hands. They also make a new tinted version which is a little beige, but I mix it with the regular to get a good match to my fair skin. The price is good and even though the tube is small, it lasts a long time. No breakouts and no irritation. Perfect for sensitive skin!

rated 4 of 5 on 10/29/2010 12:48:00 AM More reviews by jomia23

I've got hyperpigmented, freckly, large-pored, oily-yet-moisture-starved, acne-prone skin. I used La Roche Posay Fluide for a long time, but still noticed new freckles and darkening of pre-existing ones.

Eventually, I figured out that the potency of my LRP sunscreen was deactivated by the use of mineral powder (Everday Minerals) on top of it.

Man, after doing all that stinky research, only to find out that all these good for you products can't do squat when used together.
I tried a bunch of non-mineral makeup, but my hormonal, sensitive skin hated them all. Lovely scars along my chin, jawline and cheeks as proof.

So I discovered this non-chemical high SPF sunscreen and I"m in heaven. No new freckles, acts as a nice primer for my mineral powder foundation, and my face seems to love it so far. Maybe it's the zinc, which is supposed to be very healing right?

Only drawback for me is that I gotta wait for the stuff to set a bit before applying my foundation, otherwise everything pills up. Small price for happy skin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2010 7:52:00 PM More reviews by Jinhee

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Picked this up in my never ending search for a sunscreen that multitasks. One that can deliver sun protection and work as primer and makeup and does not get greasy. Not much to ask, right? Ventured into tinted sunscreens lately because I was tired of layering: treatment serum, moisturizer, primer, sunscreen and foundation. Most mornings I just use moisturizer and sunscreen and powder since I'm just too impatient. You must give each item time to properly absorb and dry before going on to the next one. Cotz is creamy and has a slight tint and I've been able to get away with just powder on top and still look finished. I wouldn't wear it alone and go out, since it leaves whitish cast but not unflattering. Of course the ultimate test is consistency in performance over time. Using it on and off for two weeks I've been happy with it. Didn't get dry and tight even without moisturizing at the end of the day and my powder held up, just needed a touch up or two. Need to try few more tinted sunscreens to measure Cotz against, but I'd give a cautious thumbs up.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/26/2010 11:15:00 AM More reviews by vesuvana

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I would not recommend getting this sunscreen if a) you are any color other than the fairest fair or b) if you sweat at all. I am really fair skinned but even my tiny bit of summer color makes this look like I have applied the wrong color of foundation: it's totally sheer but it gives my face a horrible ghostly pale cast, like I'm really sick.

But I could have lived with that if it stayed in place. I went outside wearing this sunscreen and sunglasses, sweated lightly in the heat and then came back inside after about an hour. I was appalled to see solid white patches on my nose, where the sunglasses had pushed the melted sunscreen down, leaving my natural skin color under where the pads of the glasses sat on my nose! There was also white stripes in the crease below my eyes. And I had put on such a thin coat of the sunscreen and really blended it in well. It just didnt' stay in place and was horribly embarrassing. For $20+, this is the worst product I've tried.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/28/2009 4:28:00 PM More reviews by Yooki

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I can only use physical sunblocks because chemical ones still cause my melasma to darken. I like this one very much - it's very similar in texture and tint to Clinique City Block, which I also like. But this one is twice the size of City Block, and only a few dollars more in cost, so I feel it's a great value. You do have to rub it in well, but I wouldn't say this is like a tinted moisturizer. I wish it had a flip top cap, instead of the screw cap, but all in all, this is a great sunscreen. Doesn't make me greasy at all, and feels light on the skin.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/27/2009 11:12:00 AM More reviews by fancyxamy

FINALLY, exactly what ive been searching for in a sunscreen. i use a combination of retin-a, BP, and AHA so sun protection is non-negotiable for me. this product is excellent for acne prone individuals who need a higher spf in a formula that is pleasantly wearable.

what i wanted: ideally an oil-free tinted moisturizer with a high, physical-only spf. unfortunately this is impossible to find, especially for a pale person like myself as every single one i tried was too dark/orange and the ones that werent had ingredients that i didnt care for.

why this is perfect: it is essentially an oil-free tinted moisturizer with a high, physical-only spf! that matches my skintone! the sun protection is made up of 10% titanum dioxide and 3% zinc, with no additional chemical filters. you get a lot for your money, i believe i paid $27 (shipping included) for 2.5 oz compared to my stila tm which was $36 for 1.7 oz.

this product comes in a relatively large tube. dont believe the company's website which claims that it "dries clear"- the tint that they use to temper the whiteness of the zinc and titanium definitely shows up on skin. i was concerned when i first squeezed a little bit out because it was a light beige color which often translates as orange on my pale, cool-toned skin (there's a pic of the product color in my profile). fortunately, it does not have that effect at all, and actually does a great job at covering blotchiness and redness and evening everything out.

i spread a thick layer all over my face every morning after moisturizing and then dust with maybelline's dream matte powder. powder is pretty critical for this because the finish is slightly shiny. but the result is that i look like i have done a real makeup job!

highly, highly recommended!