Besame Enchanting Lipstick in Red Velvet

4.8

Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm

I'll come clean: I got this because my SO and I are Marvel nerds and I thought it would be fun to try Peggy Carter's red lipstick on myself. I didn't expect, though, that it would become a favorite formula.

It comes in a gold bullet-shaped case that looks vintage, and when you open it, it feels vintage too. The shape of the actual lipstick is *awesome* and makes it much easier to apply straight from the bullet (though, I would still recommend using a lip brush to apply.) When you close it, it gives you a nice and satisfying click to know it's locked up. It also has a vanilla smell, though it isn't as strong as MAC's, but it dies down quick.

The color itself is well pigmented. It *is* more of a neutral-based red, though, on my cool yellow undertones, it tends to lean just ever-so-slightly more blue-based than yellow. That isn't necessarily a bad thing because it's still very wearable. It's a red you can wear to the office, but also use for a night out.

As other reviewers note, it sits somewhere between a matte and satin finish. It's long-wearing, but does not dry out the lips. It wears for an absurdly long time for the type of formula it is. It is not transfer-proof (if you kiss or eat, it will get on whatever), but it also somewhat stains the lips. I find if I don't eat (though, I did drink from a coffee cup), it goes for at least 7 hours with the strong possibility of going longer without a touch-up.

I think this would be a very versatile shade for all skin tones, and judging by the reviews here, I don't think I'm wrong. The price of $22 for 0.12 oz and the performance puts some of the higher end lipsticks (looking at you, NARS Audacious) to shame and proves you can get just as great a lipstick at a lower price point.

Pros:

- Pigmented
- Long-wearing
- Shape of lipstick makes for easier application
- Versatile for pale princesses and POCs due to neutral-tones
- Matte/satin mix (best of both worlds)
- Perfect for pin-up looks
- Office and night out-friendly
- Doesn't bleed or feather
- Inexpensive for mid-end brand ($22/0.12 oz) but just as high quality as high-end, luxury brands

Cons (I had to really scrape for these):

- Transfers
- Leans slightly more blue on yellow undertones (may not be a bad thing; some may not like as much)
- Scented

This is just an all around good red. It is highly pigmented, smells nice, and is long-lasting. It doesn't dry my lips, and it has a lovely finish that for me is between matte and satin. If you are an inexperienced lipstick wearer you may have trouble applying it, as it's a bit tricky. I recommend using a lip liner in a similar red and/or a lip brush.

Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium

This is my favorite red and the first Besame lipstick I purchased. I get tons of compliments when I wear this shade and it's perfect for day or evening. It's not too bright, not too brown, not too blue or orange. It wears incredibly well, smells and tastes great and the packaging is retro and uber femme. I sprang for the lip liner recently and recommend it to finish off the look. In a day when lipstick can cost upwards of $90 this is a true bargain.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral

I love all things Besame, and their lipstick formula is unsurpassed, IME: it stays put like a stain, but it's moisturizing rather than drying. And it looks great. This is a quintessential 40's red, and I can see why mom and grandma's generation always had some on, even if they weren't going anywhere.

Personal info: My other go-to Besame shades as of this writing are Noir and Merlot. I can't wear peachy/orangey shades, so I figured the cooler, the better. But I tried the very cool, blue-based Besame Cherry Red and it didn't work for me, so I gave it away to someone who can rock it (she loves it!) Red Velvet looks very similar to Cherry Red, but with a neutral base. I can definitely pull it off!

There's a lot of people calling this a "daytime red" or an "everyday red" - and it IS - but I think it's good for evenings and nights, too. It's a good, all-purpose red. And of course you get the wonderful Besame tube, too. A little bit gives you great color and coverage, so it's good value for the money. And it's cruelty-free, too. This one is an all-around winner.

This is the most perfect red that I own, and I own a LOT of red. Sure, it's a classic color, so it can be duped-- I even have one or two lipsticks that are of a similar shade-- but the formula is what sets it apart. The texture is amazing, super comfortable to wear, and it really does last rather well through eating (I even tried it with a messy burger, and there was minimal fading by the end of it, but nothing I actually felt the need to touch up).

This was given to me as a birthday gift, but when I do inevitably run out, I will absolutely buy another one.

I love this lipstick! I bought it online on Sephora as I can't find it anywhere else in Canada. I bought it with the intent of using it because it's the exact lipstick they use on Peggy Carter. i didn't expect to love i so much. My lipstick lasted a few hours, enduring nervous lip licking, eating and drinking. It began to fade a bit so it's obviously not completely wear-proof but it's really close. I love this lipstick and if it weren't so darn expensive (for me) I would buy every shade possible.

After reading all the great reviews, I bought Red Velvet thinking it would be the perfect blue-based color for my coloring (blonde, blue, fair with cool undertones). For some reason on me, this lipstick looked more like a fuschia pink than a true red. Totally disappointed that I had to return it.

On the upside, the texture and staying power were amazing. I'm on the Besame mailing list, and they've brought back two classic colors for a limited time, Dusty Rose and Merlot. I've purchased both--fingers crossed that these colors work for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

You guys, I seriously don't even know where to begin with my love for this lipstick. It is almost too intense.

To be honest, I bought it on an absolute whim, I've been trying to wear a lot more lipstick lately and read in a comment that this was an amazing red that worked on most skin tones. That, plus the beautiful (and I mean gorgeous!) packaging was enough for me to order it with basically no research. Afterwards, however, I poked around the internet, found some swatches, and read all about how it is apparently Peggy Carter's lipstick.

It is a smaller tube than usual, but a little goes a long way! It really was love at first swipe for me, as I pretty much tore it out of the box and applied it immediately. Really stunning color, does not budge, bleed, or smear. It lasts wonderfully through meals, and doesn't need to be constantly reapplied. I put on lip balm beforehand, and haven't had any issues with dryness.

The shape of the lipstick is also unusual, with a chiseled tip at the middle, and then flat sides, but it makes applying it pretty easy. I use the tip to make sure I get the corners/edges of my lips. I don't think a lip liner is necessary with this, but I've used a clear/universal one by Rimmel with it several times when I know I'll be out for a while.

This is a stunning every day wear red lipstick, and it has been borrowed (and subsequently bought) by several of my friends, all of whom have different skin tones to mine. Highly recommend, and enough to make me want to look into more lipsticks from this line.

This lipstick is my new Holy Grail. Not only does it go on smoothly but it doesn't leech onto the skin if you don't use a lipliner. The texture is creamy satin that feels wonderful on your lips. The Red Velvet color is a nice matte that gives you a beautiful true red color. You'll really feel the power go through you when you put on this gorgeous color. The packaging is unique and gives it a really vintage feel. The price is a bit of a turn off when you're looking at it, but once you try it you'll forget all about the $$.

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Review with swatches. It was my first EVER video on YT, so I was a bit nervous.

Recommended for Medium Skin