Besame Enchanting Lipstick in Red Velvet

4.7

on 3/15/2015 10:26:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

You guys, I seriously don't even know where to begin with my love for this lipstick. It is almost too intense.

To be honest, I bought it on an absolute whim, I've been trying to wear a lot more lipstick lately and read in a comment that this was an amazing red that worked on most skin tones. That, plus the beautiful (and I mean gorgeous!) packaging was enough for me to order it with basically no research. Afterwards, however, I poked around the internet, found some swatches, and read all about how it is apparently Peggy Carter's lipstick.

It is a smaller tube than usual, but a little goes a long way! It really was love at first swipe for me, as I pretty much tore it out of the box and applied it immediately. Really stunning color, does not budge, bleed, or smear. It lasts wonderfully through meals, and doesn't need to be constantly reapplied. I put on lip balm beforehand, and haven't had any issues with dryness.

The shape of the lipstick is also unusual, with a chiseled tip at the middle, and then flat sides, but it makes applying it pretty easy. I use the tip to make sure I get the corners/edges of my lips. I don't think a lip liner is necessary with this, but I've used a clear/universal one by Rimmel with it several times when I know I'll be out for a while.

This is a stunning every day wear red lipstick, and it has been borrowed (and subsequently bought) by several of my friends, all of whom have different skin tones to mine. Highly recommend, and enough to make me want to look into more lipsticks from this line.

on 1/13/2015 7:46:00 PM

This lipstick is my new Holy Grail. Not only does it go on smoothly but it doesn't leech onto the skin if you don't use a lipliner. The texture is creamy satin that feels wonderful on your lips. The Red Velvet color is a nice matte that gives you a beautiful true red color. You'll really feel the power go through you when you put on this gorgeous color. The packaging is unique and gives it a really vintage feel. The price is a bit of a turn off when you're looking at it, but once you try it you'll forget all about the $$.

on 5/25/2014 9:09:00 PM

Skin: Other, Medium, Not Sure

Review with swatches. It was my first EVER video on YT, so I was a bit nervous.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

Sometimes great things come in small packages. Yes this lipstick is significantly smaller than the average tube. But what a lipstick! The color is a very neutral red that would look great on most skin tones. It wears better than most of my MAC lipsticks and does not dry out my lips. It has very good pigmentation and a wonderfully smooth texture...not to matte, not too slick. I can wear it without lipliner, which at my age is exceptional. The packaging is lovely and the vintage look is so pretty. It even comes in a cute red velvet bag to store it in so it does not get scatched up.

All around a very nice lipstick:)

on 5/24/2012 1:50:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I personally love all of Besame's lipsticks. Red Velvet is such a beautiful colour. Not too bright, with beautiful rich blue undertones. The lipsticks feel amazing on, and last.

on 6/12/2011 6:27:00 PM

Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine

Red Velvet is a holy grail red for me! I looked for a suitable red for day for quite a while before I finally tried this. I'm so impressed with Besame's formula -- a lovely vanilla scent, a creamy but highly pigmented lipstick that glides on easily, good staying power after eating, drinking, etc. Red Velvet has such a nice brownish undertone to it that makes it work for day, and it works for redheads, too!

on 1/9/2010 2:14:00 PM

I only got this as a sample, which didn't last as long as I had hoped, but I was impressed with the quality of the lipstick. A good creamy/waxy consistency but reasonably long lasting, doesn't dry the lips.

A true red, perhaps a little too cool for me - a redhead with very fair skin. I prefer a more scarlet red, with a little warmth in it. I wouldn't buy this shade again, but I would buy another Besame lipstick if I found a shade I liked.

on 10/28/2009 2:48:00 AM

This is my ultimate red lipstick for my colouring. Whenever I wear this I get positive comments, and it always adds a little spring to my step.

Being a lover of vintage items, I find the packaging adorable and very pleasant to use. I appy this with a lipbrush so I can build up the colour depending on the occasion or my mood. A great day-to-night colour as well. Build it up for a more dramatic matte look for night or put a little clear gloss over it for the day. I've found it has good staying power after food and drink and required minimal touch ups.

I hope Besame continue to make this product as I do know there are a lot of loyal 'red velvet' followers out there. Please try this colour if you've previously been scared of reds, I've seen it on many different skin tones with great results!

on 5/1/2008 2:40:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I loved the lipstick in terms of color payoff and moisture--and the packaging is very cute too although the lipstick does slide out of the velvet casing. However this lipstick looks more fuchsia than red on me--I've tried it with different outfits, different color combinations, and I find it very, very limiting to use. My skintone is beige-olive and lips have very little natural color.

This is in my top 5 red lipsticks, and I'm a collector. A deep, rosy, slightly cool red. On me (NW20), it is quite dramatic, although not screamingly bright--definitely a color to be saved for evening events. The finish is close to matte, but not too drying. The tube is small, but the lipstick is so pigmented that a little will go a very long way. I agree with the reviewer below who said that this is a lot like Nars Transsiberian--Red Velvet strikes me as slightly brighter and richer, but maybe that's just because the finish isn't as matte.

Popular Lipsticks