October 2, 2014 | 1095 users online

Lipstick - NARS - Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Bettina

rated 2 of 5 on 8/21/2014 7:50:00 PM More reviews by kiraty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I have to join the "in theory this should work for me" group. I have fair, cool toned skin and I love nudes. This looked great swatched on my hand. On my lips it turns this weird bluish color, and it's kind of iridescent. I look sick or dead. Not attractive! I like the formula and it's easy to use, this just looks horrid on.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/29/2014 11:06:00 PM More reviews by sunshinechemist

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I do not know what is wrong with this color, in theory it should look good on my fair, neutral skin tone. I can't even make this color work with gloss on top. I can wear most other nudes, but this one always looks wrong. I've tried it on a couple friends and it looks bad on them too. I would definitely try this on your lips before purchasing. Good formula. Hate the cap that doesn't stay tight. Hate that I have to sharpen this pencil.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/6/2014 2:06:00 AM More reviews by graceyyy

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Ugh, just no to this. I'm on the pale side, and im always on the hunt for a good pinky nude everyday lip color, because my natural lips are too red. This looked great swatched on my hand in sephora, but when i tried it on at home it was too brown and glittery! Im just not into glitter on my lips. Also, this is quite drying compared to the rest of the matte velvet line.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/24/2013 4:18:00 AM More reviews by JulieEmmett

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

This is such a lovely colour and stays on! Makes a nice change from a super shiny glossy lip. Love it.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2013 5:46:00 PM More reviews by carolinelovesbunnies

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I really wanted to like this shade, but unfortunately, it did not work for my fair skin tone. It looked like the type of light, neutral shade that I can typically pull off, but once on the lips, it looked different. it appears darker and more muddy than expected. I ended up looking lifeless. It was too dark for the light neutral it is presumed to be. I could see this being really nice as a natural look on someone with a medium complexion.

This lip product definitely has its pros and cons. On the pros: lightweight, velvety finish, smooth, flattering matte. Cons: the cap bounces off all of the time on its own (even without bumping against anything), formula is a bit drying, product gets used up very quickly (so, you have to bring a sharpener around with you in order to reapply). I also didn't like how there's a layer of clear film that peels off of the packaging (similar to some other NARS products).

Overall, not a bad product, but the shade is rather odd in general. I would not recommend as I find it too pricey for such a basic item that will be used up too rapidly, and just to give a look of your own nude lips.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/1/2011 3:56:00 PM More reviews by mks1978

I love this color- I typically go with a nude or light color lip, but I use Bettina when I need a little more color.
It isn't overpowering for my fair complexion which is often a problem for me. I love the matte finish - it looks very natural and earthy.
I sometimes top it off with a gloss, but often just leave it looking matte.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/24/2011 10:59:00 PM More reviews by WhatWouldJaneDo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Didn't work out for me. Colour-wise it made me look life-less.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2011 6:43:00 PM More reviews by Joseybird

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous!

It's a pity that many people will avoid the NARS velvet matte lip pencils because they're matte, because these blow other matte lipsticks out of the water. They glide on like silk and feel like weightless velvet on the lips. I didn't find that they emphasized my lip lines; rather, they let my natural lip texture shine though without a hint of gloss. The effect is very "natural" -- a "my lips but pinker/redder/darker/etc."

Bettina is a medium nude-pink on my pigmented lips. It's almost exactly my lip shade, and when I wear it it doesn't look like I'm wearing a lip product at all--it just makes my lips look a bit darker and even-toned.

Gals who love the "MLBB" look should definitely check this one out!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/2/2010 1:09:00 PM More reviews by Mblue

This is the most amazing mauvey-pink-nude colour ever! It is one of the few nude shades I have seen without any brown in it all. It is purely pink based but a muted pink with only a very slight shimmer imparted by miniscule shimer particles (you have to look very close to detect them IMO). The overall effect is matt with dimension! This is the perfect shade to use with a true black smokey eye, giving what I believe is called the sixties 'Mod' look.

The application is very smooth - this almost applies itself due to its 'gliding' consistency. This feels very good on the lips, very soft and light and not drying at all like some matt lipsticks from MAC (e.g. Velvet Teddy - great colour, too drying). It isn't the most moisturising lipstick, no, but I've had no problems with it drying my lips out or emphasising any lines and my lips can sometimes get quite dry naturally.

This is very expensive though and quite alarming as to how quickly it gets used up. I believe the formula is quite light and soft so a lot more of the product is used up than with a normal thick wax lipstick. There is also only 2.4g (0.08oz) of product as opposed to a normal 4 or 3g lipstick so you are paying a lot for not much product. Also, inevitably some product is lost when it gets sharpened away! Because of the price I've been on the lookout for a replica of the shade and could find nothing in MAC (despite spending a half hour swatching every shade at the counter!). The closest I could find to the shade itself were two lipsticks; Heather Mauve by Bobbi Brown (is more grey/brown) and Bamboo Pink by Clinique (more shimmery and frosty - which makes it look lighter than Bettina). Neither had the same luxurious matt texture though, and are just not quite the same in effect, so unless I can find something similar soon, it seems I will have to repurchase!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 6/12/2010 8:12:00 AM More reviews by happywoman28

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I got this in a set along with a small Nars blush in Deep Throat and a tiny everything stick in Orgasm. I love all three of these items.

This is a nude beige-pink and is slightly hard to see on my pigmented lips but it makes them look really sexy. It's pretty much the perfect nude shade. I love the crayon idea and love how this feels going on--smooth and silky. It's fun to apply and is easy to line your lips with this and color them in. It does require some gloss so it's not so dry but still, the color is very hot and a great everyday color. Works great with the two blush shades.
I will buy more of these expensive but fun lip pencils.