Lac Hydrin Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

4.4

Lac-Hydrin (ammonium lactate) Lotion, contains lactic acid 12% and the following ingredients: Cetyl alcohol, fragrance, glycerin, glyceryl stearate, laureth-4, light mineral oil, magnesium aluminum silicate, methylcellulose, methyl- and propylparabens, PEG-100 stearate, polyoxyl 40 stearate, propylene glycol and water.

on 3/22/2015 11:43:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I have suffered from extremely dry, bumpy, red skin on my arms for 10 years. My skin condition is commonly known as Keratosis Pilaris (KP or chicken skin). This stuff is a miracle...sent from the heavens of skin products to save the way I feel about myself and my skin. As a kid, I picked at my KP a lot, which left me with a lot of discoloration, scars, and insecurities. I cannot believe the difference this product has made in my life. Just after one use, YES ONE USE, my skin looked hydrated and less bumpy. I have used this product for a solid three months now, twice a day (sometimes more because I am so obsessed with it) and my skin has never looked so good in such a short amount of time. My decrease in scars are probably attributed to the prescription I use (Differin), but it may be because of this product as well, however I am not sure. I have tried everything from over the counter products to really expensive prescriptions. Nothing has worked as well and as fast as this. This product costs about $15 in Canada. I originally was given this bottle by my boyfriend who used about a quarter of it, and I still have quite a bit left so a full bottle should last about 4 months if you use it twice a day like I do. The packaging isn't the greatest, but it isn't messy if you work with it carefully. The product itself is quite thin and liquidy so make sure you shake it before using, and it does feel greasy if you apply too much. A lot of people don't like the smell, but I love it. Maybe because I associate it with the amazing results I get, but it is kind of chemically and powdery...hard to explain but I think it smells nice. Overall... I will never waste my money on anything else for my KP.

on 3/12/2015 4:20:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

Truth #1: the smell really takes some getting used to. Baby powder that feds into ammonia. Charming, isn't it? I aply it one hour before bed, so the smell can dissipate a bit.

Truth #2: it is a sticky mess and a slimy mess if you overapply. There is a sweet spot where you are barely sticky and not at all slimy. YMMV.

Truth #3: No pump. This is annoying.

Truth #4: This is the best stuff in the world. My skin has never looked this good, or been this soft. I don't think you could possibly understand how much of an improvement, how stunningly amazing, how unbelievably soft my skin is.

I do, once or twice a week, mix a little in with face moisturizer. It's been fine and my skin is super clear and really soft.

Love this despite its flaws.

on 9/17/2014 11:53:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Iím 28 years old and for the past couple of years have had issues with small, skin coloured bumps on my cheeks. They are not dramatically visible but in the sun and certain lights they are. I had tried everything to get rid of them from microdermabrasion, exfoliating religiously, retin-A (which made my skin peel horribly) and other acne treatments. After doing some research I discovered that the bumps on my face are small keratin plugs calls keratosis pilaris. After finally having a name for these things, I started looking up treatments and came across Lac Hydrin 12 so I ran to Shoppers Drug Mart here in Canada and purchased a bottle. Seriously, after applying this cream the very first night, I woke up to smoother skin. I used it again for a couple of nights and my skin was transformed. I didnít use this the other night and woke up with tiny bumps on my face again so applied it last night again. This morning my skin is, once again, smoother. I think I have FINALLY found the answer Iíve been looking for and would totally recommend this for anyone with keratosis pilaris. One thing to note though is that I only use this product at night because it leaves your face quite sticky and shiny.

Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm

Hair: Black, Other, Fine

lovely lovely lotion for dryyy itchy skin that isn't overly overly sensitive. we have been using this in my family for years. the product has a few minor flaws such as a smell my family dislikes lol..lack of a pump..high price..hard to find especially in the states. but otherwise i like this over amlactin. amlactin is also great, i especially appreciate the lack of fragrance. but lachydrin is alot more moisturizing and feels more...there. haha hard to explain but when your skin is really dry it's nice to feel that barrier of moisture. especially on my hands at night.
i would advice to be cautious if youre sensitive or would like to apply this to your face. i have used this as a monthly overnight treatment on my face in my highschool years loved the effect. however i am 24 now and my skin has become more sensitive and thin. putting this on my face now STINGS. also i have noticed daily use on my arms/neck during the summer (even with sunscreen use) causes rashes and itchiness.
paula begoun says this and amlactin do not truly exfoliate..something about the ph being too high. she might be right but this is a great choice is you've got parched skin.

on 1/2/2013 5:39:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm

I first got this product a while ago for my KP and didn't use it diligently. I was a bit put off by its sour smell and stickyness and wasn't in the habit of using any product diligently anyway.. I rediscovered it in my closet about a month ago and have been using it once a day (at night time after showering) on my arms and also on my legs for stubborn in-grown hairs from shaving. It has worked WONDERS but it takes time and regular use.

The KP on my arms is basically gone! I combine it with a scrubby cloth like salux and basic Dr. Bronner's lavender soap as bodywash. My legs are rapidly improving (though not perfect - had really bad in-grown hairs).

THEN recently, I got the idea to try it on my face. I have pretty bad acne and clogged pores, am using a retinoid/BP combo and am mostly improving. All the breakouts are gone, but tons of clogged pores and dull skin, plus dry and flakey from the retinoid. I was scared of using this because it has parabens and other stuff, but it worked like a miracle! I slathered some onto a clean face at night, and in the morning my face was smooth, breakout free and flake free. This stuff is a miracle.

CONS:
-I wouldn't put this on your face unless your face is "bullet-proof". My face isn't sensitive and can tolerate most harsh stuff pretty well. This stuff still stung.
-It does not smell nice. It has a lingering sour-ish scent.
-This stuff is sticky and takes a while to sink in. Kind of gross.

Overall:
Would 100% recommend to anybody with KP and people with dull dry facial skin/clogged pores/acne that don't have sensitive skin. Maybe they can try the 5% first? This is totally worth the money!

on 5/16/2012 11:54:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

I bought this for my KP and it works, but only to a point. I found that I had to be extremely diligent, using it twice a day every day, and I did notice some improvement, although nothing spectacular. If I ever missed putting it on, the results were gone very quickly. This goes on quite thick and creamy, but be careful not to put it on any cut or scraped skin, or it will hurt. I like the scent of this lotion but would prefer something unscented. I will continue my search for a treatment for my KP :(

on 3/15/2012 2:06:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool

This is a great moisturizer. I'm not sure what the other reviewers are talking about with the bad smell. It smells like a generic lotion.. and is a bit sticky and white at first. You really have to massage it in, then let it soak in. Once it has soaked in.. your skin is SO soft. I had some bumps on the back of my arms that are now gone. I use it on my legs after shaving as well, and they are no longer irritated. I'm hoping it will fade some old scars on my legs from folliculitis.. that has also cleared thanks to this lotion.

I bought it at shoppers drug mart for 14 dollars. Apparently it is comparable to Am-Lactin.

on 11/20/2011 11:30:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

A good AHA that is quite gentle, but it's still a lovely and excellent moisturizer! I've also used it on my face and it didn't clog me at all. Especially good as a body moisturizer in winter. Will continue to purchase. NOTE: Be sure to use a good sunscreen when using AHA's.

on 10/10/2011 10:01:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is the least sexy lotion I have ever used. It comes in a very plain tube and it smells really weird: a slightly sour, chemically smell that I have associated with this lotion since I was a toddler. I love to try out creams with pretty colors, glamorous bottles and delicious scents, but I always end up coming back to this. It's amazing for KP, scaly feet, really dry skin, etc. However, it is very strong and as a kid I hated it because if you have a cut of any kind, it can really sting. Still, it's healed skin problems that nothing else can take care of. I have never used a lotion nearly as effective as this stuff.

on 7/15/2011 8:41:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

This product is a 12 % ammonium lactate lotion which claims to help heal rough, scaly, dry skin and associated itching. Well, I have none of those symptoms but I do use it on my face and body to help keep my skin soft , smooth and hopefully wrinkle free. A few years ago I remember walking down the street with a male friend of mine. He was holding onto my arm and suddenly remarked (in his thick Boston accent) "My gawd! Ya ahmm feels like tissue papuh! "( translation: Your arm feels like tissue paper) . He was really inpressed with how soft and smooth my skin was. This stuff really is amazing. The packaging is pretty blahsy and generic but who cares? However, be warned that it does contain 2 parabens and a bit of fragrance. And it stings upon application. It feels a bit tacky at first (but that goes away during my beauty sleep)so I only apply a 1/2 tsp of it at night . My face flushes a bit in the cheek and chin area .But I wake up to a bright and glowing complexion. And to me that's (maybe)even better than waking up to Antonio Banderas. I would advise everyone to load on the sunscreen because this is an exfoliating product and you want to protect that new baby skin as much as possible.Roll with at least an SPF of 30. The price? Well, I can pick it up for $11.95 at my local grocery store. It lasts forever because I only need to use a small amount . So in my opinion this is quite a buy. And it works!!