December 19, 2014 | 903 users online

Lotions/ Creams - Lac Hydrin - Lac Hydrin 12 Cream

rated 5 of 5 on 9/17/2014 11:53:00 AM More reviews by Jana143

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

Iím 28 years old and for the past couple of years have had issues with small, skin coloured bumps on my cheeks. They are not dramatically visible but in the sun and certain lights they are. I had tried everything to get rid of them from microdermabrasion, exfoliating religiously, retin-A (which made my skin peel horribly) and other acne treatments. After doing some research I discovered that the bumps on my face are small keratin plugs calls keratosis pilaris. After finally having a name for these things, I started looking up treatments and came across Lac Hydrin 12 so I ran to Shoppers Drug Mart here in Canada and purchased a bottle. Seriously, after applying this cream the very first night, I woke up to smoother skin. I used it again for a couple of nights and my skin was transformed. I didnít use this the other night and woke up with tiny bumps on my face again so applied it last night again. This morning my skin is, once again, smoother. I think I have FINALLY found the answer Iíve been looking for and would totally recommend this for anyone with keratosis pilaris. One thing to note though is that I only use this product at night because it leaves your face quite sticky and shiny.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/1/2014 4:39:00 PM More reviews by dragonisdragon

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Fine Eyes: Black

lovely lovely lotion for dryyy itchy skin that isn't overly overly sensitive. we have been using this in my family for years. the product has a few minor flaws such as a smell my family dislikes lol..lack of a pump..high price..hard to find especially in the states. but otherwise i like this over amlactin. amlactin is also great, i especially appreciate the lack of fragrance. but lachydrin is alot more moisturizing and feels more...there. haha hard to explain but when your skin is really dry it's nice to feel that barrier of moisture. especially on my hands at night.
i would advice to be cautious if youre sensitive or would like to apply this to your face. i have used this as a monthly overnight treatment on my face in my highschool years loved the effect. however i am 24 now and my skin has become more sensitive and thin. putting this on my face now STINGS. also i have noticed daily use on my arms/neck during the summer (even with sunscreen use) causes rashes and itchiness.
paula begoun says this and amlactin do not truly exfoliate..something about the ph being too high. she might be right but this is a great choice is you've got parched skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/2/2013 5:39:00 PM More reviews by vaigai

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I first got this product a while ago for my KP and didn't use it diligently. I was a bit put off by its sour smell and stickyness and wasn't in the habit of using any product diligently anyway.. I rediscovered it in my closet about a month ago and have been using it once a day (at night time after showering) on my arms and also on my legs for stubborn in-grown hairs from shaving. It has worked WONDERS but it takes time and regular use.

The KP on my arms is basically gone! I combine it with a scrubby cloth like salux and basic Dr. Bronner's lavender soap as bodywash. My legs are rapidly improving (though not perfect - had really bad in-grown hairs).

THEN recently, I got the idea to try it on my face. I have pretty bad acne and clogged pores, am using a retinoid/BP combo and am mostly improving. All the breakouts are gone, but tons of clogged pores and dull skin, plus dry and flakey from the retinoid. I was scared of using this because it has parabens and other stuff, but it worked like a miracle! I slathered some onto a clean face at night, and in the morning my face was smooth, breakout free and flake free. This stuff is a miracle.

CONS:
-I wouldn't put this on your face unless your face is "bullet-proof". My face isn't sensitive and can tolerate most harsh stuff pretty well. This stuff still stung.
-It does not smell nice. It has a lingering sour-ish scent.
-This stuff is sticky and takes a while to sink in. Kind of gross.

Overall:
Would 100% recommend to anybody with KP and people with dull dry facial skin/clogged pores/acne that don't have sensitive skin. Maybe they can try the 5% first? This is totally worth the money!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/16/2012 11:54:00 AM More reviews by Radchickee

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I bought this for my KP and it works, but only to a point. I found that I had to be extremely diligent, using it twice a day every day, and I did notice some improvement, although nothing spectacular. If I ever missed putting it on, the results were gone very quickly. This goes on quite thick and creamy, but be careful not to put it on any cut or scraped skin, or it will hurt. I like the scent of this lotion but would prefer something unscented. I will continue my search for a treatment for my KP :(

rated 4 of 5 on 3/15/2012 2:06:00 AM More reviews by Leannne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is a great moisturizer. I'm not sure what the other reviewers are talking about with the bad smell. It smells like a generic lotion.. and is a bit sticky and white at first. You really have to massage it in, then let it soak in. Once it has soaked in.. your skin is SO soft. I had some bumps on the back of my arms that are now gone. I use it on my legs after shaving as well, and they are no longer irritated. I'm hoping it will fade some old scars on my legs from folliculitis.. that has also cleared thanks to this lotion.

I bought it at shoppers drug mart for 14 dollars. Apparently it is comparable to Am-Lactin.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2011 11:30:00 PM More reviews by iberian

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

A good AHA that is quite gentle, but it's still a lovely and excellent moisturizer! I've also used it on my face and it didn't clog me at all. Especially good as a body moisturizer in winter. Will continue to purchase. NOTE: Be sure to use a good sunscreen when using AHA's.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/10/2011 10:01:00 PM More reviews by tairourou

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is the least sexy lotion I have ever used. It comes in a very plain tube and it smells really weird: a slightly sour, chemically smell that I have associated with this lotion since I was a toddler. I love to try out creams with pretty colors, glamorous bottles and delicious scents, but I always end up coming back to this. It's amazing for KP, scaly feet, really dry skin, etc. However, it is very strong and as a kid I hated it because if you have a cut of any kind, it can really sting. Still, it's healed skin problems that nothing else can take care of. I have never used a lotion nearly as effective as this stuff.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/15/2011 8:41:00 AM More reviews by winwoodgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This product is a 12 % ammonium lactate lotion which claims to help heal rough, scaly, dry skin and associated itching. Well, I have none of those symptoms but I do use it on my face and body to help keep my skin soft , smooth and hopefully wrinkle free. A few years ago I remember walking down the street with a male friend of mine. He was holding onto my arm and suddenly remarked (in his thick Boston accent) "My gawd! Ya ahmm feels like tissue papuh! "( translation: Your arm feels like tissue paper) . He was really inpressed with how soft and smooth my skin was. This stuff really is amazing. The packaging is pretty blahsy and generic but who cares? However, be warned that it does contain 2 parabens and a bit of fragrance. And it stings upon application. It feels a bit tacky at first (but that goes away during my beauty sleep)so I only apply a 1/2 tsp of it at night . My face flushes a bit in the cheek and chin area .But I wake up to a bright and glowing complexion. And to me that's (maybe)even better than waking up to Antonio Banderas. I would advise everyone to load on the sunscreen because this is an exfoliating product and you want to protect that new baby skin as much as possible.Roll with at least an SPF of 30. The price? Well, I can pick it up for $11.95 at my local grocery store. It lasts forever because I only need to use a small amount . So in my opinion this is quite a buy. And it works!!

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2011 5:46:00 AM More reviews by dusice

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have keratosis pilaris on my upper arms, and this lotion is a lotion that helps. I don't use it often enough for it to completely remove the bumps, but it lessened them a lot, and I think it I used it every day, they would probably eventually disappear. The bumps are due to the skin not exfoliating itself properly, so you have to use an exfoliator on your skin all the time, when you have bumps to remove them, and when you don't have bumps to keep them gone, so if you have this skin condition, please keep on using the product all the time to keep the area smooth and clear.

Edit: I had a rash on my stomach and used this product on it, and within days the rash melted away! I could see the skin exfoliating rapidly in the shower, all the dead rashy skin just scrubbed off after using this product a few days; recommended!

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 4/19/2011 6:54:00 PM More reviews by rambow

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This lotion is basically the solution for all of my...grosser skin problems.

I'm using this for keratosis pilaris (those annoying keratin plugs on your outer arms or legs -- most people's are dry and red, but I have oily skin so mine are red and slightly waxy) on my upper arms and thighs.

GROSS, HUH?

Yeah, now that you know about the state of my thighs, I have to say that this stuff is awesome for KP. It has nearly eradicated it after a week of religious, twice-daily use. I also have successfully used it directly after leg-shaving to ward off razor burn (I get it horribly, to the point where I avoid shaving my legs as much as possible. GROSS, HUH?)

I also had horrible keratin plugs under one arm after a bad reaction to a strong anti-perspirant, and they left horrible dime-sized scars and hyperpigmentation. (GROSS, HUH?) This lotion has nearly healed all of this already. I was previously using an 8% glycolic face cream on these body patches out of desperation, and while it helped somewhat, Lac-Hydrin blew its results out of the water.

Now, some cons: the smell is a bit weird. Somewhat chemically, somewhat cloying baby powdery smelling. The texture also stays...damp...for a long time after application, though the lotion itself is quite thin and fluid.

I wouldn't use this stuff on my face unless I was desperate for some AHA action. Or on my hands. In the past, I tried this stuff for hands and face at random, because I had no idea what this was supposed to be for, and it was icky. Wouldn't have repurchased for that reason.

But, knowing what it's actually GOOD at, it's great stuff. It's a higher percentage of lactic acid than many lactic acid moisturizers (12% as opposed to 5%) and it's EFFECTIVE, which makes up for the minor cons. I'll continue to use this stuff for as long as I have KP. Which, from what I hear, means basically forever.

(In Canada, 12% lactic acid is available OTC. I order mine from well.ca -- they ship to the US, and shipping is free within Canada.)

UPDATE: Finished the bottle. I'm taking off one more lippie because the packaging is annoying - it tends to burp and spit too much product at you at odd times. Would much prefer a pump! And, after using a whole bottle, I am really tired of the smell and the tacky feel. I've switched to Neutrogena Acne Stress Control 3-in-1 Hydrating Acne Treatment for my KP, and it's working much better than even this. Of all the things I've tried, Lac-Hydrin was ultimately #2 for my KP.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No