Clinique Different Lipstick - A Different Grape

3.7

on 6/8/2015 10:03:00 PM

Wasn't expecting much from this GWP, as in the past my Clinique GWP lippies have all been dull brownish nudes or pale pinks-- yuck on my complexion. I need COLOR. And when I twisted up the tube and saw how deep purple it was, I didn't know whether it would play nice with my auburn hair and yellow complexion.

But this is surprisingly great! Love the formula-- very moist and dewy, but holds the lip line. It isn't overly opaque, so it seems to meld with lips rather than sit on top. And the color really works for me! It's kind of a medium-boysenberry that lights up my face. Not too dark, but very rich and "there." It's a gorgeous color, makes lips look juicy and berry-stained. I've actually bought the full size!

on 4/19/2015 4:05:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Warm

My sister gave me this for Christmas so I do not know the cost. I really do like it as I've a zillion purple, mauves etc...I'm of Indian descent, so my lips are browner than the rest of my face and they have a naturally purple-esque undertone so have quite a collection as many come off as MLBB. So this is not a statement lipstick on me by any means, I often have to apply a few coats, but perhaps on lighter complexions I've seen on the net it looks great on too! On me it almost comes off a brown-ey purple on my lips due to my already darker natural lip color, so a natural look. I just love the texture. It's not matte (of course) and gives my lips a nice sheen and hydrating moisture, yet never makes my lips peel like soooo many other lipsticks do. Like most Clinique lip products I've had however, I did not expect it to last hours so re-application or keeping it in your purse is a must.

UPDATE: Unfortunately, I was on-line the recently and it was listed as containing lead...So will not be wearing it as often and won't re-purchase.

on 2/11/2015 10:26:00 PM

Surprisingly great! I received this as a GWP, and I didn't touch it for 2 months thinking it won't be my color. I also wrongly assumed this might not be up to par, due to the fact that they gave away a whole bunch of GWPs for buying one skin set. (The GWPs all turned out to be great, save for the odd cistrus spray.)

If someone's looking for a deep matte magenta/purply color, this is not for you. This is a very moisturizing lipstick with just enough pigmentation; I think it's perfect for people who want to get out of their comfort zone of nudes and pinks.

Again, someone who's looking for a lot of pigmentation might be disappointed. But this is a great lipstick for those winter days when your lips are constantly chapped, even with the help of vaseline and chapstick.

I personally love this lipstick. It's great because I usually stick to classic red and simple corals. If I lost it, I would repurchase.

on 1/27/2015 10:24:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

this is the perfect plum lipstick for fall/ winter. It has been around a long time and is popular for a reason.Clinique includes this lipstick shade in a lot of their "bonuses". I def recommend to anyone looking for a great fall/winter plum lipstick!

on 11/5/2014 12:46:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Curly, Other

Formula feathers a bit but the real problem is the color. I had hoped for a MLBB, but on me it looks a lot like tongue/gums and somehow makes it look like I have a gummier smile than I do - or maybe just really prominent, full-of-blood gums. It's not flattering at all. I don't see "grape" in any way, more of a red-based pink. Doesn't make my teeth look all that great, either. I've gotten this as a full-size GWP several times over the years and faithfully try it every time, but to no avail.

on 9/14/2014 6:01:00 PM

I got this as a freebie when I purchased Clinque skin care. I like this lipstick. I am a NC-25 in the fall/winter (or medium beige in bare minerals language) and this is my go-to plum colored lipstick. It's perfect for fall!

However I took off a lippy for a couple reasons:
1. It's slippery. The lipstick formula is very moisturizing but becomes kind of messy on me. Lip liner use is encouraged.
2. It's very pigmented, but I don't like the color of it just applied straight from the tube. It seems kind of dull and strange looking. I like to apply then blot a couple of times. Gives me the perfect plum/berry stain and also helps with the aforementioned messiness.

on 5/19/2014 1:41:00 AM

I LOVE THIS LIPSTICK! The color is gorgeous and it really helped me to step out of my comfort zone of light pinks or neutral colors. Where I bought it, the lipstick was a little pricier than what I've been seeing elsewhere, but it was well worth it. I literally wear this everywhere and it stays on really well. I remember the first week that I got it, I wore it everywhere! A must buy product!

on 12/15/2013 4:57:00 AM

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

I got this as a GWP &although I like the quality of it (doesn't dry out my lips, very pigmented, goes on smoothly..) I think that this doesn't fit my warm, light-medium asian skin tone as there are blue/purple undertones to it. I do recommend it to others especially with darker skin tones cause I think this is a gorgeous, dark color perfect for winter &nighttime looks !

on 12/10/2013 7:15:00 AM

I had this in my stash for quite some time before I finally tried it. The name alone turned me off, and made me think this would not be a color that I would like or that would work for me. But I was wrong! It's beautiful! It does not read purple on me at all. I am fair skinned, neutral to slightly warm undertones. I am bad at describing colors, not sure if I would call this a plum or what, but is darker without being too dark, not vampy.

The formula is mostly good for me, however, I'm surprised at how many describe it as moisturizing. I found it drying, it just felt as the moisture was being sucked out of lips as the day went on. It is winter here, though, maybe in the summer when the air isn't so dry it would be better in that regard. It is well pigmented, full coverage, and the staying power is quite good.

I got this lipstick as a gift; I would have never bought it myself. In terms of quality, this lipstick is great. It's nice and creamy and hydrating, but doesn't look too shiny. Feels great on your lips, the colour is never blotchy, and it doesn't stick to dry patches. It's also very pigmented. But, if you like the colour as it appears in the tube, that's a good thing. Personally, I like really natural nude lip colours, so this is way too bold for me. I just don't like bold lip colours.

If you like dark, wine coloured lipstick, then you'll like this. But, for a fair skinned girl, it looks very dark, and sort of...old. At least I feel old with this shade on. I think this would be best as a gorgeous nude lip colour for darker skinned ladies. But, it ultimately depends on your colour preferences.

Recommended for Medium Skin