Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

Pretty awesome stuff..I have a pretty simple routine for morning and night and it's given me really pretty skin...I just take about a teaspoon sized bit of coconut oil (unrefined coldpressed) warm it up between my hands to melt it ..massage it on my face and eye area for a couple min..run warm water from the tap and splash my face then i take my dove beauty bar lather it up and wash my face good then splash it off with warm water and then cool water..pat face slightly dry and follow up with Cetaphil lotion for all skin types..then I pat off the extra lotion with a dry clean towel and I'm done :)...also rub a generous amount of the coconut oil all over your body ( I skip my face in the shower as I wash face only at the sink (which I do after a shower) ..then jump in and wash my body with the dove bar and a shower Pouf thing...get out pat skin dry then moisterize with my fave lotion or body creme..seems to have greatly improved the condition of my skin..soft smooth glowyish lol...just thought I'd throw my thoughts on here for anyone who'd like to try it too :) i haven't had any breakouts from using it and have been doing this for abt a year or so for those worried abt tht part :)..I dunno how this would work with different facial cleansers or lotions and other skin types but I found this routine has helped me could b it could help others :)

on 2/25/2015 7:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This stuff is great. I have dry skin, so I smear it on my face before my nightly shower, then wash my face with cleanser. All makeup is gone, and unless it's the dead of winter I don't need to moisturize. I also dot it on any extremely dry patches of skin on my body before showering.

on 2/20/2015 5:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I live in Sri Lanka, a tropical country where the humble coconut is an ubiquitous part of life. We drink the coconut water, cook with the oil and meat, and use the oil as a topical skin and hair treatment. I bought into the trend and began using it as an oil cleanser for the body and shaving oil, and it has worked very well with my skin as it has been really dry and itchy. I do not use it on my face and hair as I do not want to experience breakouts and rashes.

However, I have read a couple of reviews, so I thought of giving a few tips to make your experience with it a little easier.

Always buy cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil. Also, make doubly sure that it is not the cooking grade type, but the cosmetic grade to minimize skin allergic reactions. Additionally, check the ingredients to ensure that nothing else has been added in.

Never use coconut oil as a facial moisturizer. Coconut oil is excellent for dry skin. However, it is highly comedogenic as it can block pores and cause severe breakouts. I have sensitive acne-prone skin so I use Olay moisturizing cream which works fine. If you want to use a natural facial moisturizer, sesame oil, shea butter, or almond oil are excellent choices.

If you don't like the greasy feel of coconut oil (like I do), use it as a shaving cream or apply it as a body oil before getting into shower. For normal skin, you could use a relatively small amount.

I always believe that everyone's skin is different. Some may feel that coconut oil works wonders, whereas it can have a little to no impact on others. If you want to check it out, purchase a small bottle and check whether it clicks with your skin. If it doesn't, you can call use it for cooking :-)

Edit: I used it on my hair after some hesitation, and I found it to be an excellent conditioner for my hair. My hair looked thicker, shiny, and healthier after the first application, and I did not have to use my normal conditioner. Additionally, it did not weigh my hair down and washed out easily. Moreover, after a week of using it, people have began to comment on my appearance. I believe that coconut oil has evened out my skin tone, faded scars, and softened my skin. I no longer have dry patches. I definitely recommend coconut oil for both skin and hair, as it has worked wonders with me.

on 2/18/2015 1:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I'd love to love coconut oil... I slept with it over night on my hair and after I rinsed it out my hair almost felt like straw... it was not soft at all. I had to shampoo and condition a bunch to get it all out. It was horrible. I used organic, unrefined coconut oil. Can anyone tell me why that happened to me? :(

on 2/15/2015 3:15:00 PM

Coconut oil is a must in my house. I pink up a huge tub of it for $20.00 at Costco monthly. I use it for moisturizing hair masks, oil pulling, my face and for cooking. The best feeling after a long day is rubbing this all over your face and putting a hot towel on top. My skin feels and looks great after use. To me this is not a fad and is something I will always have in my house.

on 2/12/2015 12:37:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral

I use coconut oil for everything! I put it in my hair sometimes, use it on my teeth, on my skin as a moisturizer, and daily on my lips to keep them (or repair) from being chapped. Not to mention all the health benefits of actually eating it. Look it up and give it a try. You can't get anything better than organic imo. A friend of mine makes all kinds of 100% natural face masques, lip glosses, soaps and other beauty products with coconut oil being the main ingredient. Love it!

on 2/7/2015 4:51:00 PM

Coconut oil is a staple in my household since it's not only good for cooking, but also for beauty related purposes. This stuff is the only thing that can get mascara off of my lashes at night and is wonderful for makeup removal. At first, I was worried that it would break me out since I have very acne prone skin and since I've started using it I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary in my skin. However, I would never leave coconut oil on my face and I always try to wash it off with warm water. Although, I think that it's a great moisturiser for after I shave my legs and it gets rid of razor burn pretty well. With all of this being said, why I love coconut oil is because of what it does to my hair. I start by melting 1.5 tsp of coconut oil in the microwave and comb it through dry hair not forgetting the scalp ( I wouldn't recommend this for anyone who has naturally oily hair, but since my hair is really dry it works fine). I leave it on for at least an hour and hop in the shower and wash it with shampoo 2-3 times and use only a light conditioner if you really need it. Coconut oil is a God send for dry hair like mine and feels very luxurious after a week of being busy and using heat on my hair. It makes my hair shiny and soft and it makes my hair look like the gorgeous hair shown in hair commercials. Also, I swear that it has made my hair grow faster and stronger. On a side note, I also use this on my dog that is a pomeranian with black skin disease which basically makes all of his hair fall out and his skin turn really dark. I've been putting coconut oil on him 2-3 times a week and I've noticed that his skin is getting pinker and he's even growing tufts of hair. I've tried everything for my dog and since it's winter it gets very cold and he has to wear little coats to keep him warm in the freezing weather. Fingers crossed that this works for him!

Ps. I use coconut oil on my hair once a week

on 2/2/2015 10:00:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Neutral

Edit: Ive gotten some whiney PMs about how I should give C.O a 1 lippie if I can't use it as a cleanser.......please don't pm me. I don't care enough to reply so im just putting this as a note so any other creeps won't bother.

I've gotten a few questions about this so I'm going to write a review. Hopefully this helps steer a few of you in the right nerdy direction.

I'm not alone when I say I personally break out like hell on earth if I use any form of coconut oil near my face. Unfortunately I bought this to try it out as a make up remover and despite washing my face afterwards, it still found a way to clog my crater pores. Luckily there are plenty of other beauty uses. I now use this for my hair. Today I will be explaining the importance of coconut oil as a haircare staple.

The molecules of coconut oil are one of the very few that are small to penetrate hair, vs coat it. There is a myth going around haircare forums that coconut oil has protein in it and that's why it makes such a good deep conditioning mask for hair. That's simply not true, and you would be able to determine this from taking one look at the nutritional label.

Fortunately, there is a scientific backing for using coconut oil as a "protein mask". When coconut oil is put on hair it absorbs (again...penetrates the hair shaft). The polarity of coconut oil causes it to have an affinity for protein that's already in your hair. It bonds with the protein for as long as you have residue of the oil in your hair. Thus, this makes it harder for your hair to lose protein when you go to heat style or bleach it (any type of damage, really).

It is easier to preserve your hair's natural protein with this than it is to rebuild the protein bonds. I'm a big believer of "damaged hair is better than no hair" when most haircare gurus will advise you cut off the damage. And while you can really not undo damage, and it is smarter to just prevent it, coconut oil does help savage whatever health your hair has left. It'll prevent further damage.

A few have complained that coconut oil will make your hair "crunchy". Trust me, I've been there personally so I know what that's like. And it's frustrating when coconut oil leaves your hair feeling like hard plastic, yet leaves other with locks of silk. IF COCONUT OIL IS LEAVING YOUR HAIR CRUNCHY, there are two common reasons.

1. You're using unrefined coconut oil. I personally *do* prefer unrefined coconut oil as it is as close to the natural chemical composition that you can get. HOWEVER at room temperature it typically hardens up into a layer of fat-like substance. If your hair gets crunchy while wearing this, does not mean your hair doesn't like coconut oil, it just means that the coconut oil has cooled down back to a non-melted state.

2. If you're using refined coconut oil and dealing with crunchiness texture - consider if your hair is porous or not. Your hair might be too healthy, protein dense, and non-porous. Thus it is harder for the oil to seep in. This is actually a good thing so don't fret. Apply the coconut oil and wash it out. Just because hair is healthy doesn't mean you should avoid coconut oil (remember...the goal here is to *prevent* damage before it happens).

One amazing method for coconut oil is if you lighten your hair, apply a layer of this before hand. It helps the hair lightening product apply a lot more evenly, smoothly, and easier through the hair. I have been able to cut back on product purchases with this method because I need a lot less bleach to spread around. Additionally, again - it helps prevent damage by bonding a protective layer around the hair's natural protein. Note: DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU ARE ONLY DEPOSITING COLOR. Some pros are able to do so with no problem - however - I would not risk it. There's a chance you could have the dye not take due to the layers around the hair's protein. Bleach can eat through almost everything...pigment deposition is a lot gentler. You're better off using a protein filler before coloring.

Last but not least - I always wash my face immediately after using coconut oil on my hair as it really does not play nicely with my skin.

on 1/31/2015 7:56:00 AM

Skin: Other, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

It doesn't really matter what brand you buy, chemists and supermarkets stock a variety. Anyway, it seems coconut oil is useful for a huge range of things and for me that was the bumps of my thighs and bottom. Not sure if it classified as keratosis pilaris but they were unsightly and made me self conscious wearing dresses and shorts. I've been using coconut oil on them around twice a week and they've cleared up. I've used lotions with acids in them in a bid to dissolve them but I think my skin just needed some moisture and whatever else coconut oil contains. Give it a try, it works.

on 1/7/2015 10:16:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

The BEST stuff ever for dry damaged hair. I bleach my hair and it is SO damaged. I only wash my hair a few times a week so whenever I am going to wash it the next day I put this on my dry hair before bed and then when I wake up shampoo and condition. My hair feels soo soft and actually holds a style. I can't believe I didn't know about this before. It's made such a difference in the texture of my hair. I also use this to remove my waterproof makeup and it works amazing for that as well. I will never be without this again!