Extra Virgin Coconut Oil

4.4

Extra-virgin coconut oil.

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

Best makeup remover anyone could ask for! If products with the words "makeup remover" in the title aren't doing the job, pick up a jar of this life saver. And it can be used for way more than that. It can moisturize your skin and hair, you can cook with it, basically EVERYTHING!
Definitely go out and buy this!

on 3/16/2015 5:24:00 PM

this stuff is just as awesome as people say. I use it as a makeup remover, a shaving "cream" and a hair mask (and in cooking of course!).

Makeup remover: I'll use this whenever I have waterproof mascara on (almost every day in the summer). I just take a little chunk, rub it between my figures to liquify it then gently rub it over my eyes until I can't feel mascara on my lashes anymore. Then I'll wipe it away with a washcloth or just wash my face like normal with my cetaphil cleanser. Takes off all my waterproof mascara without irritating my eyes or pulling out all my lashes.

Shaving: Pretty self explanatory. I rub a bunch of it over my legs/arm pits, shave like normal, then wipe it away with a wet washcloth. It's moisturizing and works just as good as any shave cream I've used. I only use this outside of the shower or tub because when you wash it away it can make any surface your standing on very very slippery and I don't fancy falling on my face in the shower.

Hair: I haven't totally perfected this aspect of coconut oil because I suck at doing hair masks regularly so I can never tell the coconut oil actually makes a difference or not. My hair usually feels softer and looks a little shinier after a coconut oil hair mask, but it will only last till the next shampoo. If I ever get into the habit of doing a weekly hair mask with coconut oil I'll edit this review with the results. But basically what I do is cover my hair from the ears down with liquified coconut oil, then use a comb to go through all the hair from root to tip, then leave it in for 30 minutes to an hour, the rinse it out in the shower and shampoo/condition like normal. I've heard of some people using coconut oil as a leave in, but my hair is way too thin for this and it would just be a big greasy mess.

on 3/10/2015 6:23:00 PM

I loveeeeee coconut oil for ny hair and hair growth. I apply it to my face at night also. I warm up some in a bowl then add alittle bit of regular deep conditioner to help make apply easier and rub on scalp and hair leave it on for as long as i can. And i wash it twice afterwards. I do this once a week and i loveeeee it best conditioner ever.

Pretty awesome stuff..I have a pretty simple routine for morning and night and it's given me really pretty skin...I just take about a teaspoon sized bit of coconut oil (unrefined coldpressed) warm it up between my hands to melt it ..massage it on my face and eye area for a couple min..run warm water from the tap and splash my face then i take my dove beauty bar lather it up and wash my face good then splash it off with warm water and then cool water..pat face slightly dry and follow up with Cetaphil lotion for all skin types..then I pat off the extra lotion with a dry clean towel and I'm done :)...also rub a generous amount of the coconut oil all over your body ( I skip my face in the shower as I wash face only at the sink (which I do after a shower) ..then jump in and wash my body with the dove bar and a shower Pouf thing...get out pat skin dry then moisterize with my fave lotion or body creme..seems to have greatly improved the condition of my skin..soft smooth glowyish lol...just thought I'd throw my thoughts on here for anyone who'd like to try it too :) i haven't had any breakouts from using it and have been doing this for abt a year or so for those worried abt tht part :)..I dunno how this would work with different facial cleansers or lotions and other skin types but I found this routine has helped me could b it could help others :)

on 2/25/2015 7:21:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

This stuff is great. I have dry skin, so I smear it on my face before my nightly shower, then wash my face with cleanser. All makeup is gone, and unless it's the dead of winter I don't need to moisturize. I also dot it on any extremely dry patches of skin on my body before showering.

on 2/20/2015 5:01:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

I live in Sri Lanka, a tropical country where the humble coconut is an ubiquitous part of life. We drink the coconut water, cook with the oil and meat, and use the oil as a topical skin and hair treatment. I bought into the trend and began using it as an oil cleanser for the body and shaving oil, and it has worked very well with my skin as it has been really dry and itchy. I do not use it on my face and hair as I do not want to experience breakouts and rashes.

However, I have read a couple of reviews, so I thought of giving a few tips to make your experience with it a little easier.

Always buy cold-pressed extra virgin coconut oil. Also, make doubly sure that it is not the cooking grade type, but the cosmetic grade to minimize skin allergic reactions. Additionally, check the ingredients to ensure that nothing else has been added in.

Never use coconut oil as a facial moisturizer. Coconut oil is excellent for dry skin. However, it is highly comedogenic as it can block pores and cause severe breakouts. I have sensitive acne-prone skin so I use Olay moisturizing cream which works fine. If you want to use a natural facial moisturizer, sesame oil, shea butter, or almond oil are excellent choices.

If you don't like the greasy feel of coconut oil (like I do), use it as a shaving cream or apply it as a body oil before getting into shower. For normal skin, you could use a relatively small amount.

I always believe that everyone's skin is different. Some may feel that coconut oil works wonders, whereas it can have a little to no impact on others. If you want to check it out, purchase a small bottle and check whether it clicks with your skin. If it doesn't, you can call use it for cooking :-)

Edit: I used it on my hair after some hesitation, and I found it to be an excellent conditioner for my hair. My hair looked thicker, shiny, and healthier after the first application, and I did not have to use my normal conditioner. Additionally, it did not weigh my hair down and washed out easily. Moreover, after a week of using it, people have began to comment on my appearance. I believe that coconut oil has evened out my skin tone, faded scars, and softened my skin. I no longer have dry patches. I definitely recommend coconut oil for both skin and hair, as it has worked wonders with me.

on 2/18/2015 1:35:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse

I'd love to love coconut oil... I slept with it over night on my hair and after I rinsed it out my hair almost felt like straw... it was not soft at all. I had to shampoo and condition a bunch to get it all out. It was horrible. I used organic, unrefined coconut oil. Can anyone tell me why that happened to me? :(

on 2/15/2015 3:15:00 PM

Coconut oil is a must in my house. I pink up a huge tub of it for $20.00 at Costco monthly. I use it for moisturizing hair masks, oil pulling, my face and for cooking. The best feeling after a long day is rubbing this all over your face and putting a hot towel on top. My skin feels and looks great after use. To me this is not a fad and is something I will always have in my house.

on 2/12/2015 12:37:00 PM

I use coconut oil for everything! I put it in my hair sometimes, use it on my teeth, on my skin as a moisturizer, and daily on my lips to keep them (or repair) from being chapped. Not to mention all the health benefits of actually eating it. Look it up and give it a try. You can't get anything better than organic imo. A friend of mine makes all kinds of 100% natural face masques, lip glosses, soaps and other beauty products with coconut oil being the main ingredient. Love it!

on 2/7/2015 4:51:00 PM

Coconut oil is a staple in my household since it's not only good for cooking, but also for beauty related purposes. This stuff is the only thing that can get mascara off of my lashes at night and is wonderful for makeup removal. At first, I was worried that it would break me out since I have very acne prone skin and since I've started using it I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary in my skin. However, I would never leave coconut oil on my face and I always try to wash it off with warm water. Although, I think that it's a great moisturiser for after I shave my legs and it gets rid of razor burn pretty well. With all of this being said, why I love coconut oil is because of what it does to my hair. I start by melting 1.5 tsp of coconut oil in the microwave and comb it through dry hair not forgetting the scalp ( I wouldn't recommend this for anyone who has naturally oily hair, but since my hair is really dry it works fine). I leave it on for at least an hour and hop in the shower and wash it with shampoo 2-3 times and use only a light conditioner if you really need it. Coconut oil is a God send for dry hair like mine and feels very luxurious after a week of being busy and using heat on my hair. It makes my hair shiny and soft and it makes my hair look like the gorgeous hair shown in hair commercials. Also, I swear that it has made my hair grow faster and stronger. On a side note, I also use this on my dog that is a pomeranian with black skin disease which basically makes all of his hair fall out and his skin turn really dark. I've been putting coconut oil on him 2-3 times a week and I've noticed that his skin is getting pinker and he's even growing tufts of hair. I've tried everything for my dog and since it's winter it gets very cold and he has to wear little coats to keep him warm in the freezing weather. Fingers crossed that this works for him!

Ps. I use coconut oil on my hair once a week