Astral Cream

4.8

Aqua, Paraffinum Liquidum, Glycerin, Paraffin, Lanolin, Ozokerite, Lanolin Alcohol, Petrolatum, Isopropyl Myristate, Magnesium Sulfate, Parfum, Propylparaben, 2 Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1,3-Diol, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Alcohol, Citronellol, Coumarin, Geraniol, Hydroxycitronellal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Linalool

on 4/10/2015 2:25:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

Astral cream is one of those products I would have never, ever known about had I not read the reviews here. Partly because this isn't one of those "Must Have" products the magazines talk about and partly because this is likely one of those products that isn't well known outside of Europe. That's a shame because this stuff is great and cheap!

First, an overview of my skin. I'm acne prone and have fairly normal to dry skin while the skin on my body is basically comparable to an alligator living in the Sahara. In the past few years, the skin on my nose area has become weird (there's really no better word). The pores can be seen from space, it's oily beyond all belief yet flakes and produces whiteheads. To top it off, if I put foundation on my nose, it peels and basically just sits on top of my nose accentuating every single pore. It matters not if I exfoliate, apply primer (that actually makes it worse!) or apply moisturizer right before I apply foundation. I've tried various high end moisturizers but nothing is really helping that particular area.

After reading about Astral cream, I decided I had nothing to lose so I ordered a 200ml jar of the original via Amazon for $11. When I first got it, I thought it might be too thick to use on my face but I dove in anyway. I was impressed from the first use as this cream is very rich. It really reminds me of Nivea cream because the smells are quite similar (although this is a bit less obnoxious and cloying) but this doesn't seem to turn watery when applied. Even though this is quite thick and seems more like it would be the worst thing to put on your face if you easily get acne, I've haven't had one breakout from this. Astral cream leaves my face super moisturized and even better, it has stopped my nose from being flaky and weird.
For the past few weeks, I've only used this at night. I used it once under makeup and I ended up looking very oily (or "glowy" if you want to be positive). Since I live in a high humidity area that barely has what can be considered a fall or winter season, I basically looked like a walking oil slick. I think the light version would likely be a better alternative to use under makeup than the original, especially if you hail from the swamp like me.

As this is a face and body cream, you can obviously use this on your body. I've only used it on my elbows (even though I have an ample amount to use everywhere) and I found it performs well on the body too. It absorbs quickly and doesn't leave you feeling sticky.

Now for the downsides. This cream comes in a big plastic jar. I don't really mind jars for products but I would prefer a tube or pump. If jars are the bane of your existence however, the jar aspect might annoy you. The other downside is that, if you don't live where this is sold in drugstores, you're going to have to buy this online for a slightly higher price. If you shop smartly, you'll easily be able to find the largest side of this for a reasonable price.
Overall, Astral cream is a sound investment. The price is great (even for us Yanks) and the amount you get is insane. If you're looking for a product that really hydrates, this is your best bet.

on 2/12/2015 3:11:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

i have very dry skin and our freezing New England winters totally dehydrate my face causing more visible wrinkles, flaking and general awfulness. i have tried so many different creams. whether classics like aquaphor and egyptian magic which sit on my skin and some times clog my pores. or more high end intensive creams like la mer, la prairie cellular time release or erno laszlo hydraphel night cream all of which just suck money out of my wallet and suck themselves into my skin. there i am, a mere half hour later, dehydrated and hundreds of dollars poorer. so i read a couple reviews of this British classic on other websites touting it as better than la mer and decided for the price i might as well try it. it is amazing. i can layer it on over my serums at night and wake up with fresh hydrated skin. during the day i pat a small about over my normal day cream (embryolisse) specifically on my forehead & cheeks and it leaves my face fresh & dewy but not greasy. i have had no break outs in the past 7 weeks from this at first frighteningly thick cream. i doubt i will use this once the weather gets warmer as i don't require this level of intensity then, but its definitely my new winter staple. as others have wrote it smells like an old lady cream. but it works. it was $20 to have it imported to the US but I've heard its only like $6 USD if you buy it in the UK. can't wait for our next trip over the pond!

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

Some classics are classics for a reason and this is one of them. I've tried many moisturisers but this is my favourite. It's soft, it's not greasy and it works well. I choose to use it on my face rather than my body though it's great for the body too, I just like a bit of variety. I always apply at night and wake up looking better, and recently a lot of my friends have said how supple my skin looks and some of my forehead lines appear to have

Amazing moisturiser for winter time. It kinda takes time to absorb into the skin but i like this feel of something greasy on skin in winter. And it has strong scent, I don't mind that either. My aunt lives in England she bought this for me around 4 years back, since then i have been using it. But it feels really very greasy in hot days so i just use it when weather gets cold and dry.

on 11/17/2014 8:11:00 AM

Over many, many years I have tried some of the most expensive, highly rated moisturizers, from Creme de la Mer, Chanel Precision $335, Sisley global $445 and more. I know, a big obsession! Over lunch, my friend said she found the best that money could buy, and she wanted me to try it. She put some in a small, plain jar for me to try. I did not think the scent was worthy of an extremely expensive cream, but I have to admit that I loved using it on my face.
After a month, she finally broke the news that it was the original Astral, about $3, which she bought in a drugstore in England. I was and still am dumbstruck.
I do wish that it had SPF protection in it though.

I am still using it one year later!

Ps I live in the UK now and can buy it very cheaply. I just looked to see if we can buy it in the States and could not believe the prices I saw! I think when I go back for a visit I will fill up my suitcase.... http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=astral+cream

on 7/31/2014 10:37:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

This is the only moisturiser I'll ever use on my very delicate and allergy prone skin - I've tried all sorts over the years and all of them have fallen short of this trusty formula which makes my skin look better than anything else. Basically, my skin is oily but yet is so sensitive that the slightest puff of wind, or strong chemical, and it turns into a red, itchy, flaky, tight mess! (not to mention the spots and white-heady type "blib blebs" some products can cause around my nose and chin.) I've wasted loads of money over the years trying one thing after another only to find that they either cause an allergic reaction, bring me out in spots, or don't really moisturise enough, causing even the most oily part of my face (my nose) to go all flaky making my foundation look awful! (I'm not sure how many other people have experienced the phenomenon of an oily skin which can also be flaky, even when it looks like an oil-slick, but mine is exactly like that!) Anyway, I tried even expensive makes like Clinique, but nothing has proven to be as effective as Asral at keeping my skin comfortable and looking its best (I know some people swear by Nivea cream as well, but sadly I'm allergic to it so I can't really comment on its effectiveness really.)

I use the original, darker blue tub which you can get for around 1 for a small 50ml pot (ideal for travelling) - as others have mentioned though Superdrug seem to regularly offer larger pots for half price, so it's worth stocking up. Another reviewer said that the smell is "like old lady night cream" and I agree with that exactly - it's such a wonderful, comforting scent, and I never get sick of it! It leaves my skin perfectly hydrated, soft and supple, and is a joy to use feeling sort of light and fluffy. I usually put a few blobs of it around my face after a shower and let it sink in while I have breakfast. I blot my face with a tissue before applying make-up to remove any excess sitting on the top of my skin and I'm left with a nice soft canvas for my foundation. All in all, I've found that Astral is brilliant and I hope they never stop making it!

on 12/22/2013 5:56:00 AM

Love this product . By far the best moisturiser ! leaves skin subtle. Price is reasonable I tend to use about 2 tubs a month ! (All over moisturising twice a day) all though I have to admit I use more product than is necessary .

on 8/8/2013 6:52:00 AM

I have used Astral since I was about 12 (I am now 26) and will always use it! I lather it all over my face and my body and skin is always so supple and soft. I use it right after a bath and it instantly locks in moisture and I also use it as a cleanser as well so its very versatile! I only wish they would introduce more products like an SPF day cream or a bath milk because I would definitely purchase! I adore the smell I wish I could bottle it into a real perfume!

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

This has been my HG moisturiser since I've been about 12! it leaves skin feeling beautifully hydrated and radiant,I believe this to be my saviour in terms of clear,spot free skin! definitely a must have for all ages!

on 11/2/2012 3:02:00 PM

Been using this on my face and for the first time in weeks, I have smooth, hydrated skin and no clogged pores!

Some background on my skin : Very dry/flaky from using Epiduo to combat moderate acne. I get dry, leathery patches on my face and for some reason, down my neck (I don't put Epiduo there!) so for the past 2 weeks I looked like I had a white beard from all the dry skin :( My face was so tight and dry, I went from looking like a spotty teenager to haggard with fine lines in a matter of weeks.

I was previously using Cetaphil Moisturising Cream and occasionally Bio Oil. I was willing to put something a bit "heavier" on my face because the discomfort from the dry skin was too much but sadly, my face would be nice and moisturised at night but still dry and flaky in the morning. I bought the Astral Light & Creamy from Sainsbury's for 2.99 after noticing a lady picking up 3 tubs. She said that she has adult acne and is still on Roaccutane and this cream was the only thing that helped without making her look like an oil slick.

So I bought 1 tub, and boy, am I glad I did! Hubby loves it too - he has combination skin and no acne. It's perfect for the winter or if you're on acne medication. The cream smells amazing and goes well under make up. Very highly recommended and would buy again! If you're in the UK, you're better off buying this from Boots/Sainsbury's/any other pharmacist because they sell it for double the price on Amazon. But for people outside the UK, 6 isn't much for a great product!