October 20, 2014 | 1751 users online

Hair Color - Garnier - Color Breaks Dimensional Lightener

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2009 2:53:00 PM More reviews by prettykitty1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I use this hair highlighter in the darkest shade for people with naturally dark brown or black hair. It works so beautifully that I don't dare switch to any other drugstore brand (or pay the expense of having my hair done at a salon).

I have shoulder-length hair, and I use two, sometimes three boxes, to give myself slender, natural-looking auburn highlights all over my head. I don't use the boxes all on the same day but over the course of a week, starting on Day One with one box applied to the top layer of my hair, followed by another box around Day Three applied to the mid-layer of my hair, followed by a third box around Day Seven for any areas that look like they need more highlights. This gives my hair time to rest, and, more importantly, it gives me time to decide whether more highlights are needed. I have found over the years that most home highlighting kits simply don't include enough product to do a complete job, and even if they did, it would take me too long to apply it exactly how I want it before it dries out. Spreading out the process over the course of a week means I'm not rushing into bad decisions about the intensity and placement of color.

Instead of using it on towel-dried, damp hair like the directions say, I use it on perfectly dry hair, adding about 2 tablespoons of water to the formula to make it more spreadable and to compensate for the fact that my hair is totally dry. I also use my gloved fingers to apply the formula because the mascara-like wand that comes with the box sometimes tugs at my hair. Surprisingly, the gloved hand technique works well--again, because I'm working with dry hair and I can see exactly how much hair I'm grabbing. The few times I've worked with damp hair, I've made the mistake of creating unnaturally wide stripes because I couldn't see what I was doing.

Like almost all highlighting kits, this one comes out a bit too bright at first, but it will calm down after a few shampoos into a more natural shade.

Color Breaks is harder to find than most other highlighter kits, but I can usually find it at Rite-Aid. I'm so pleased by the results I get from this kit that I can't imagine switching to any other brand.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/14/2008 2:19:00 PM More reviews by oasdus

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This saved me a ton of money and looks as good as what I get from the salon. It's easy. Just mix the cream and powder together and apply to hair strands with applicator. Done in 20 min. I color my hair red (am naturally med. brown). I chose the dark blonde to light brown shade because I was afraid the others might look orangey on me. I got a little overzealous and didn't apply it in thin strips. I used the applicator, but after a while, just started smoothing it on with my gloved fingers. It looks good though and probably saved me $40 if I had gotten foils.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/4/2007 7:20:00 PM More reviews by Emkat8

I really wanted this to work, but it didn't for me :( I bought this kit in the #2 Shade for light brown to medium blonde. My hair is more like a medium brown, but I didn't like the colors meant for the darker hair-they looked orange and not natural on the box so I didn't dare try it on my hair. Perhaps that is why I got bad results-I chose the #2 shade even though my hair isn't really a light brown...anyway, I ended up with pretty ugly streaks in my hair. Kind of an orangey-brown color. Just not natural and definitely not professional looking. Also the applicator was crap. Tangled my hair and pulled alot of strands out-ouch! It also was close to impossible to only highlight a certain chunk of hair without getting it on the surrounding hair strands. I wasn't able to get very close to my roots either....I mostly had to use my gloved fingers to spread the cream on my hair which then made it difficult to pick up another chunk of hair to highlight. This was my first time to highlight not using a cap though, so maybe it's just my inexperience. I'm by no means a pro. I did give this two lippies though because I feel like it didn't totally ruin my hair. I definitely think this will be fixable and even if I decided to leave my hair like this it wouldn't be too horrible. A little unnatural looking, but hey I didn't feel that I looked like a complete fool going to Wal-mart to buy another box of dye, just a little bit :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2007 6:55:00 PM More reviews by dolcefan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I bought this in shade 3 for medium-dark brown hair. My major problem with this product is the applicator. It's awkward and too chunky. I do not know how one attains those thin highlights on the box, but........while it is inexpensive and quick, and the color came out 'ok', it wasn't the effect I desired at all. I prefer Revlon's highlights and lowlights kits. Easier application and it comes with a toner!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/2/2006 11:38:00 AM More reviews by TerBear

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Wow! I purchased #3, for medium to dark brown hair, and it worked GREAT on me. It was easy to mix, easy to apply, and the shade came out right -- a lightened caramel blonde on my dark-brown color-treated hair. My only complaint is that I didn't apply the color mixture heavily enough on the ends, and went a little nutty on the scalp, so I have really light roots, and darker ends, on the pieces that I highlighted. But, that was an application issue, and something I can improve upon next time, so that's not a negative for the product. Considering this was, by far, the cheapest highlighting product in my local store, I am impressed with how well it worked for a first-time user. I recommend this if you want to save some money and highlight at home, but be sure to apply the cream as thickly on the ends as you do up at the roots. :)