September 22, 2014 | 967 users online

Eye Shadow - Laura Mercier - Mineral Eye Powder

rated 3 of 5 on 1/3/2013 12:13:00 PM More reviews by vuvie

I got it in Peach Luster which is a light pink so it works well on its own when going natural. Not fancying the bottle. The first time I opened it, I used too much strength and some of the powder just got all over the dressing table.
But the colour is pretty and the powder is soft to the skin.

I have another in Simmer Bronze which I bought years ago. Gorgeous bronzy-gold.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2012 3:22:00 AM More reviews by DressageDiva

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

I have six of these I got in a swap, so I did not pay full price, so I can not talk about that aspect.
I do use Detrivore and My Pretty Zombie loose pigment eyeshadow, so I am familiar with how to use them.
Ok, so I love these.

Well, almost. The packaging is rather interesting. You can either screw off the lid, revealing all the powder or flip open the lid and use the 1/3 inch opening with a pretty small brush. The problem for me is getting the lid to flip open! I have to give it so much muscle that I always see powder going all over. Not good. So, as of now I only unscrew to use.

The mineral eyeshadow is really nice. I use it over primers and it stays all day. I love this a lot.
Also it blends well and the colors are gorgeous.

I never have fallout with this, which Is so nice.

Except for packaging, I would rate it higher

rated 5 of 5 on 8/6/2010 9:28:00 PM More reviews by Morganna777

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Other

I have this in asteroid and its one of my favorite shadows ever, its a perfect blend of intense color and micro glitters that doesn't look frosty like a lot of Mac pigments do, Asteroid is the the perfect blue to create smokey looks and to add interest on top of eyeliner. This has more pigment and sparkle power than Fyrinnae's darker colors that are similiar. simply Gorgeous HG !

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2009 8:01:00 AM More reviews by sweetgardenangel

Just bought Laura Mercier products for the first time at Nordies the other day. As a free sample in a little pot, I experimented with it yesterday. It lasted remarkably well, from 9 am to 8 pm. It felt wonderful on and very little creasing since I had applied my base coat of UDPP. All in all, I am pretty happy with this product, kind of a pinky beige color

rated 5 of 5 on 3/27/2009 7:35:00 PM More reviews by 2prettygirls

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have amber eyes (gold and copper/bronze) and these are some of my favorite eyeshadows from Laura. I own Sapphire (navy), Crystalline (pale pink), and Brilliant Quartz (brown with gold). The packaging is a little troublesome b/c there is no turndial (Laura has these in her mineral cheek colors) to control how much product comes to the top, but other than that, I have to say I'm pretty happy with these and use them an avg. of 4 x's/ wk. I was used to only pressed powder eye colors, and so I really had to learn how to control the amt of product I picked up on my brush and I had to learn what brush worked best- I use Laura's flat eye color brush and her angled eye color brush with these. When I wear them I receive so many compliments and I can see that my eyes have more of a sparkle in them, like a light has been turned on inside them. They are very sheer, so practically mistake proof, and they last the day. Sometimes there is a little fallout onto my under eye area, but this is easily remedied with some tissue. The Sapphire would be just beautiful with blue and brown eyes as well. The effect of these is worth the cost and any extra effort/patience it might take to learn to use them. Recommended to all you beauties in MUA world.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/6/2008 9:25:00 AM More reviews by dakgirl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I purchased Crystalline on Ebay, and I'm glad I didn't pay full retail price for this. I'm an early 40's PPP who has used sunblock since I was 18, my eyes are just starting to get a bit of crepiness which only shows with certain shadows (brands of shimmer, not shimmer itself)

I applied Crystalline on a bare eyelid and while it looks shimmery in the pot there was no shimmer on my lid, just crepiness! Very strange. I can wear Stila shadows, BB, LM but not Chanel shimmers because it makes my eyes look like you crumpled up a tissue and then tried to smooth it out, this was just as bad. Avoid Crystalline if your eyes are over 40, it won't be pretty.

Colorwise, it looked like a dull muddy pink, not what you'd expect something named Crystalline to look like. I'm very disappointed. I also bought Sapphire hoping to use it as eyeliner but I'm thinking of not using it and selling it on ebay to get some of my money back.

I might play with Crystalline, since I used it already, to see if it would work as a subtle cheek color. As an eyeshadow, this is a big disappointment.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/25/2008 12:20:00 PM More reviews by blueirisjazz

These shadows are gorgeous. They feel wonderful on your lid, and the shimmery colors especially are just beautiful. I love that they aren't too sparkly, but still give a really lovely shimmer. They can be a bit messy, and I feel like the packaging could have been designed a little bit better. At the same time, loose powder is usually messy to some degree, so I suppose it's normal. It's also great for foiling (combining it with a mixing medium) and using it wet. It stays on a really long time that way, and the color is more intense. I would definitely recommend these shadows.

rated 2 of 5 on 3/15/2008 5:05:00 PM More reviews by aliz1973

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought 2 of these on ebay - milky way - creamy pink highlighter, and constellation - purple with blue sparkles.

the reason i bought these was i had an international LM MA use the milky way combined with Wheat Eye basic as a base, Rose e/s in the crease and Asteroid along the lashline over black cake liner. he applied them easily, though did do concealer and foundation after doing the eyes.

so... i thought.... if i get them cheap on ebay, it doesn't matter. if i had paid full price for these, i'd be gutted. i LOVE LM, but i can see why these have been discontinued.

the packaging is annoying if you want to put a normal brush in to use dry - they don't fit properly.
the constellation was hard to get to build to a decent depth, though this did actually have it look more subtle. i needed to put a deep colour on first (LM e/s black plum) and layer the mineral powder over the top.
the milky way did combine very easily with the eye basics, but went on a litle 'chalky'. i would use this alone next time.
after i spent ages blending and building, it did stay put, and look good. it lasted for hours and hours, and i have the feeling that if i'd gone to bed with it on, it would have been there in the morning. !!

the plus is that these shades would work well over several different base shades, so they are quite versatile.

i will not be buying any of these again - not even the new mineral powders that have come out.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/28/2007 10:22:00 PM More reviews by Scout12

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Being a huge LM fan as well as a mineral-make up fan, I had high expectations when I found that Laura M. was launching mineral shadows. My all time favourite shadows are without a doubt Bare Escentuals mineral shades, not only because of all the pretty colors but mostly for the fantastic staying power as well as the even and smoothing result they have on virtually all types of lids regardless of age...

The colors are very nice in the little tubs, and I picked up the Asteroid and the Milky Way shades. The Asteroid is a very nice looking sultry and sparkly dark blue with just enough of a hint of green to work well with most blue eyes as well as browneyed ladies... That shade works best for smokey night time eyes or as a sparkly eyeliner. But definately just the right shade of blue if ever there was one. The Milky Way is more of a traditional highlighter shade, a light pink shade with a lot of white and a lot of sparkle.

Nice shades, but the rave definately stops there! These shadows are nowhere near as finely milled and easy to use as the BE shadows. Instead they are gritty and sits more on top of the lid than blended into it, if that makes any sense. Which means they are completely useless for anyone over the age of 30... The staying power is also surprisingly low, both for being a mineral powder but also for being LM!!? The Asteroid performes better than the higlighter/base shade Milky Way. But mostly because you don't put it all over your lid. The Milky Way is just as poor in working quality as a drugstore shade. But at ten times the cost. Both of them drop sparkle all over as well so it takes some getting used to and some precautions to meet that, when applying the shadows, so you don't end up with spakles all over the place. (Something that is very rare when it comes to the BE minerals...)

The container also leaves some room for improvement... Laura has tried to develop a container for loose shadows that won't spill as much as most of them do, by putting just one hole in the middle, small enough to fit one of her smaller and somewhat rounded eye shadow brushes. But that means normal flat shadow brushes designed for mineral make up wont fit into the hole. And that means you have to turn the container upside down and pour out the content either in your palm or onto something else, and that is even more messy than usual containters imo... creates a lot of waste too... And the lid to the container is really hard to open, so if you are not careful you might manage to create a whole fireworks of color in your bathroom once the lid swings open...

So sadly my conclusion is that these pretty and very expensive shades will probably be left sitting in my drawer, since pretty alone doesn't cut it these days... Performance and usability is key for a stressed city gal. And this time Laura Mercier didn't nail it. But then again, there is a first for everything... And this is the first time I have stumbeled across a LM product I didn't like...

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/9/2007 8:54:00 AM More reviews by Arachne

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

What a disappointment. Hated it. I bought 2 from Sephora and will be returning both of them. The look pretty when first put on, so I'll give it one lippie for that. But it falls short after only a couple of hours. It doesn't seem to work well with UDPP - doesn'y blend easily. I find it very messy and the packaging sucks big time. :(