October 31, 2014 | 1602 users online

Highlighters - Smashbox - Soft Lights - Smashing Glow

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/21/2008 1:11:00 PM More reviews by GimpyPoop

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This Soft Lights certainly is a bit different from all the other Soft Lights Iíve seen. Itís nowhere near the shimmeriness of prior Soft Lights but instead seems pretty much matte - which is fine by me because I can always add a highlighter on top and most of the blushes I own are plenty shimmery. This very peachy pink shade also seems to be more pigmented than the usual Soft Lights Ė itís more like a substantial blush than a highlighter. Iím fairly tanned Ė NC40 Ė so it shows up as a subtle, but noticeable healthy glow upon my cheeks. It works well for my very warm Asian complexion Ė perfect touch of healthy glow to my face. In fact Iíve been using this alone, without any other make up on the days in which I feel blah and drab. This can also be layered for a more intense effect. I do like this Soft Lights a lot, but not sure if I would repurchase since truth be told, I do prefer a slight bit of shimmer. However, this is currently my staple and I think itís a great product.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/26/2008 2:01:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

This is a pretty peachy-pink blush that is not glittery or shiny, and makes one look naturally blushed (not flushed like after a workout, but blushed like a bride). The texture is nice, about the same as MAC and NARS blushes but not quite as good as Chanel or Cargo..

I really hate the packaging. The product comes in a cheap, round plastic case with a twist-off (!!!) lid and it's just not sturdy at all. I dropped my brand-new blush on the (wooden) floor from about 1.5 feet off the ground and the blush simply smashed into 34 pieces. I've dropped NARS, Chanel, even Jane compacts on the floor and never had the powder inside even crack.

This is also way overpriced. Why the heck is it $28? It may seem like you're getting a ton of blush for your money, but the pan is really shallow (I should know!). And it's not like the packaging is good at all. The product is fine, not wonderful and certainly not worth full retail. If you can find it, try Everyday Minerals' mineral blush in Siesta--it's almost the same color but glowier and just plain healthier-looking. Or try the Cargo blushes. They're the best I've ever tried and less expensive at $24 than this Smashbox stuff. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 8/19/2007 1:45:00 PM More reviews by ActorMom

I am very fair and really haven't found my perfect bronzer yet. Most look too much like bronzer as opposed to glow which is what I am after. This was part of the Costco set from this past summer. I love Smashbox, it is one of my top brands and this product really cements that for me. Typically i'd expect a Soft Lights to have some sheen to it, but I find this to be very matte and soft. I can buff and buff it up to a slight sheen but it never gives me shimmerbrick face, which I hate. Being so fair, I use this as others would a bronzer and it really just carves out my cheeks beautifully. The peach shade looks a little scary on the brush but really just illuminates my face so subtlety. I'd even use this on darker skins to get that under the skin color...it's just beautiful.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/24/2007 1:14:00 AM More reviews by mjs06

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Wonderful peachy blush/all-over bronzer for my PPP skin. I use this with SB Brush #1. It's a lot more matte than my other SoftLights, but I don't really mind since I don't want shimmer every single day. Very pigmented, and I have to be careful when I'm using it all over instead of just as a blush. Would prefer better packaging (the twist off lid can be troublesome) but I don't mind for the most part.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2007 10:05:00 PM More reviews by tixifix

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my favorite blush! I got this with the Smashbox Spring 2007 package, which includes a lot of other stuff for $20 at Costco. It doesn't clog up with oil, unlike the Clinique blush I used to use all the time (I had to scrape the top part off quite often). It blends well to my skin, it's light and has the perfect color. I would indeed buy it again!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/31/2007 11:55:00 PM More reviews by onthemove

When I first received this, I was having a really crappy day. Lo and behold, a envelope arrived with my Smashbox Soft Lights "Glow". Who would have thought that a blush/highlighter would have perked me up. Sallowness be gone! Glow is a fairly matte, pink/slightly peach piece of heaven for my skin. I certainly was not disappointed when I applied it. It really did impart a pretty glow to my face and well dare we say I felt a little more awake. It is not loaded with tonnes of shimmer(which I don't mind here and there)-just very natural. I sort of expected my Bare Escentuals "Warmth" to do what Glow does despite my numerous attempts at trying to make it work. It left my face looking clean without that somewhat dirty look I got with Warmth. Smashing Glow is a hit for me and I highly recommend it if you are looking for a product that gives that extra little boost of radiance.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2007 11:33:00 PM More reviews by starskye

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

First off, I got this color from the "Smashbox Summer Glow Collections" from Costco for some $30. Great deal with 2 shadows, soft lights glow, transparencies smashing flaunt, a lip color pencil, & a lip palette.

I do have a medium-tan complexion with slight pinkish undertones. After applying my bella pierre mineral foundation in nutmeg, I used the bare escentuals feather light brush applied flaunt on my cheeks. Then I applied the soft lights glow over the sheer blush on my forehead & chin with the brush that came in the collection & it made my makeup look amazing.

And I thought mineral veil gave me that nice soft infused glowy look. This is much better than mineral veil.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2006 2:11:00 PM More reviews by KittySkyfish

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

There is a review for this product in the blush category, but I'll duplicate it since Smashbox considers these highlighters. If you notice my other review, I give it five points whereas here I'll give it four. This is due to the fact that Smashing Glow has NO SHIMMER and IMO it works less like a highlighter and more like a blush or peachy bronzer. It would receive a lower score in this category but the color is just sooo pretty! :)
Smashing Glow is a light-to-almost-medium MATTE pinky/peach tan. It's a mix between a blush and a light bronzer. Lots of pigment lifts when brushed and the color is buildable. I'd recommend this for anyone who has sallow skin that needs a color lift. Just brush this lightly like you would a bronzer and you'll have healthy color without looking bronzer orange. I prefer using a powder brush with this because it's less dense than a bronzer brush, and I can control the amount applied. A denser blush brush will make this work as a blush, and when used so it pairs perfectly with warm pinks, bronzes and warm reds.

Because it doesn't have shimmer, this can be paired with other cheek colors without shimmer overkill.

continued >>