December 20, 2014 | 1278 users online

Eye Shadow - Chanel - Soft Touch Eyeshadow - Safari

rated 1 of 5 on 8/6/2014 7:40:00 AM More reviews by ninanina

Sub par taupe. Nothng special. I did buy it because the fellow doing my makeup used it and it looked great in the store. I'm wondering if he wet it because when I use it it's like an idiotic sheer taupe...nothing, zero...doesn't even show up. I just have nothing great to say about Safari...there are tons of dupes of this color fr0m d/s to h/e...it's blahhh. What might have given it a 'kick' would have been to toss in just a touch of green. It's a 'common' color.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/19/2014 12:33:00 PM More reviews by Alexine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

So love this! Chanel eye shadows are a treat for me because of the price, but this is a repurchase for sure. I really wanted to get the Prelude quad, but the Chanel counter was out, so I went for Safari, of which they had one left. As soon as I tried it, I had to have it. The color is not too grey, not too brown, not too dark, but a perfect "greige." It has a slight shimmer, but just enough to give it dimension. Safari is understated, but still gives a beautiful polished eye.

Honestly, this color is dupable, but the quality isn't, which is why I love Chanel. The taupe color in the Physician's formula Baked Oatmeal, is similar, but a tad bit lighter, and the finish is too metallic. Maybelline's Silken Taupe also looks similar, but also lighter, more silvery, and very frosty. Cover Girl's Tapestry Taupe is pretty close, but much more shimmery. I rarely wear the aforementioned anymore because the finishes are too shiny and accentuate my fine lines.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2014 7:36:00 PM More reviews by jordandean

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My one and only chanel eyeshadow and probably one of my top two favorite taupe eyeshadows, which is saying something as I probably own 15. It is incredibly smooth textured and slightly shimmery cool toned taupe. It seems to make a perfect wash of color for a sophisticated day look to work. I do this with a touch of brown eyeliner and chanel mascara and feel sophisticated and put together. A little more eyeliner and it can easily transition to evening. Great multipurpose eyeshadow. Small pan and I will definitely finish this which I have only ever done on wet n wild nutty, but when you like it you like it!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 2/20/2014 12:57:00 PM More reviews by izzybella

Sadly, Safari didn't live up to the hype for me. It's a gorgeous taupe in the pan, but on my eyes it's a blah ashy cement grey that barely shows up on my medium neutral-warm skintone. I had to smoke it out with a lot of black shadow and liner to achieve the look I wanted. I think this would work best for those with fair complexions and light colored eyes. This was my first Chanel eyeshadow and I thought the texture was just okay - I didn't think it was any smoother or pigmented than eyeshadows from similarly priced or less expensive brands. Unless I find a shade that really works for me, I probably won't buy another Chanel powder eyeshadow. The mirrored compact was awkward to use, but that's probably because I'm used to NARS compacts which I think are more user-friendly with a larger mirror.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2013 8:12:00 PM More reviews by lnielsen22

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have an awesome look you can try with this color. I was just at the Chanel counter when they had their make-up artists in town and I had my face done. I was really interested in seeing what a pro would do with my eyes and complexion and what colors they'd use. So, the MUA used Safari on me in the crease (outter 2/3 only), and then Furtif on the lid. These two together are so pretty, I can't even tell you. Then she did something I haven't heard of before. She used blue mascara (by Chanel also), something I have not worn since I was 13, and used it as a liner with an angle brush. She put it both under my upper lash line (right at the lash roots), and along my upper lid (outer 2/3 only), and then on my actual lashes. It was stunning. When she was done with me and I walked out of the mall, after buying $ 300 worth of Chanel, I noticed people staring at me. I thought maybe I looked too made up and garish. On my way to the bathroom to check myself out in some better lighting, I noticed a guy smiling at me. I'm 44 so when I get male attention like that I usually turn around and see who they are really looking at. Well, once I made it to the Nordstrom bathroom I looked at myself and thought, you know what, I look good! That make-up artist totally did a fantastic job on me.

I'm telling you, these two colors together on my green eyes made them really stand out. I don't know if I'd do the blue mascara every day, that might be more of a dressy look, but I think a black or brown mascara or even gray would suffice for daytime.

So Safari and Furtif together... very pretty!

Only gripe is I wish the packaging was a tad bigger. Those little containers are hard to hold on to.

12 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/6/2013 12:59:00 PM More reviews by ceen

An understated grey-taupe, with unobstrusive shimmer.
Great for no-fuss, 'swipe and go' minimalist daywear.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2012 9:35:00 AM More reviews by sixspeedschro

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Despite the ridiculous price tag, I LOVE this eyeshadow! The color is perfect for that dark, winged eyeliner look in winter with a red lip. Just gorgeous! Anyways, great pigmentation and I am buying more Chanel now just because I have sensitive eyes and I have an allergic reaction to anything that isn't hypo-allergenic. Their products do not cause any irration or rash on me and I'm so excited. It's my little splurge :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2012 3:36:00 AM More reviews by lschwartz1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This is my favourite eyeshadow of all time. I love the colour. If you are a brunette with fair skin and brown or hazel eyes, this will look great on you. I wear it all over the lid with some black eyeliner and mascara. I have worn this about 3 times a week for 2 years and still have about 30% left. Well worth the price. I even like the sponge applicator it comes with - better than my Chanel brush!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/7/2012 7:46:00 PM More reviews by chanel277

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

its a pretty light taupe-grey color with satiny and slightly shimmery finish, applies and blends nicely. Not crazy about the quality of this for sure ive seen better. dior eye shadows for example are much more buttery and they have so much better color pay of Quite expensive and pretty basic standard color im sure you can find something similar and much cheaper. I splurged once for sure im not gonna repurchase, i dont mind the fact that the color isnt that unique i just dont find that the quality of this eyeshadow is good

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/12/2012 12:39:00 AM More reviews by haidehh

I use this on itself and it looks great. it stays all day and really good quality. the amount is not much but then again its Chanel. but i love it