October 24, 2014 | 1736 users online

Top/Base Coats - Avon - Nail Experts Smooth Beginnings Base Coat

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/8/2011 7:24:00 PM More reviews by LauraP24

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this to prevent yellowing from nail polish, and it's great. I don't see it working as a ridge filler (hadn't even realized that was one of Avon's claims!). I also use the Avon UV Gloss Guard top coat, and my manicures easily last a week. Roughly $4.99 CDN, and I've already re-purchased.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/16/2011 9:10:00 PM More reviews by Teiris

This is a decent basecoat, it does the job alright. As far as being a ridge filler, I really don't see it working at all. A good cheap base coat if you need it, but I'd explore other avenues if you're looking for good adhesion and ridge filling

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 9/16/2008 6:31:00 PM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I like the short brush that makes the application easy. It does not fill in ridges at all. It dries quickly and protected my nails from the stain of dark nail polish. My nail polish did not last any longer while wearing this product. It started chipping off the first day. What really works for me is Revlon top coat as a base coat!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/15/2006 12:58:00 PM More reviews by newsystyle

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Avon has yet again disappointed me with their sub par nail products. This works OK as a ridge filler (what it's intended for), but not great. If you have small ridges it might be best but I have deeper ones, and this just doesn't do as good a job as previous ridge fillers I've tried, like Sally Hansen and Rimmel. As a basecoat, this doesn't work at all. Polish does not adhere well to this and pretty much peels off after a day or two.

The texture of this is very strange. It's clear, not creamy like other RFs. And it's gloppy. You have to glop it on the nail and wait for it to "settle" so it can dry smooth. Sometimes, this doesn't work. But my biggest complaint about this is the brush. It's a teeny tiny brush, VERY short. I'm almost tempted to think that I got a very bad bottle of this, but I haven't another bottle to compare it to. This small (maybe defective?) brush contributes greatly to the difficult application of this gloppy product.

I got this for free from someone who bought it and didn't need it, so I don't know how much it costs, but Avon is usually pretty affordable. I still wouldn't waste my money on it.