October 20, 2014 | 1907 users online

Liquid - Shiseido - The Makeup Dual Balancing Foundation SPF 17

rated 3 of 5 on 7/10/2014 9:06:00 AM More reviews by littleadorabelle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Mehhhh...I'm really torn about this foundation. I wanted so much to love it, but the best I can say is "it's alright." Very mediocre.

First, the good:
1) One of the closest color matches I've ever found, EVER. For this reason alone I really wanted to love this, because I'm ridiculously hard to match. Primarily because I'm super super fair, with neutral (sliiiightly leaning pinkish) undertones. With almost all foundations I try, the lightest shades are too dark and too yellow, but i00 was a great match. However, I do wish they had b00 available (the lightest shade they make in the "b" or "beige" range, which supposedly has pink undertones, is b20, which would have been too dark for me. The "i" or "ivory" range is neutral leaning yellow, so it's only the teensiest tiniest bit too yellow. Like BARELY yellow). Anyway, it's still the closest I've ever gotten in color match. Oh, and supposedly, according to Sephora's Pantone Color IQ, this foundation is "1R02." However, due to the sliiiight yellow undertone, I'd put this at 1Y02 personally.
(Personal aside: I think the Color IQ system is really sucky. They have some colors listed REALLY incorrectly. Like listing some foundations with "r" ("rosy"/pink) undertones when any human eye could tell you they're clearly very yellow. Anywho. Moral of the story is don't trust the ColorIQ, swatch in person.)

2) Has a nice coverage overall, looks pretty natural.
3) No smells or bad ingredients, according to Paula Begoun's beautypedia. This is important to me as I adamently avoid foundations with bad-for-skin ingredients.
4) Price is reasonable to me for high end foundation.

The bad, however:
1) Doesn't cover acne. Nope.
2) Slips and transfers like CRAZY before it is set with powder. In fact, after you apply it it really doesn't "set"...it really just sits liquidy on your skin. The problem with that is that if you try to go back to either add more foundation or concealer on blemishes or problem areas, the foundation that was there already will literally transfer right off of your face onto whatever you're using! (sponge, fingers, etc). SOOO frustrating! Then instead of a little red blemish you have a patch on your face that's lost foundation. Totally horrible. And trying to go back and fix it keeps resulting in the same thing...foundation wearing/transferring off just as you're trying to go back and cover up areas. AKEWJFKFJEAWKFJDKDF.
3) Oxidizes a TINY bit. Not as bad as other foundations I've tried, but still just enough to notice. That perfect color match from earlier is now 1/2 to 1 shade too dark for me.

Overall wear time on combo/oily skin is average. I've seen better, but I've seen worse. It's not a mattifying foundation, so don't expect it to control oil much. You'll need primer and powder for that.

I'll probably end up returning it. Even if I keep the bottle, I definitely won't repurchase. While I'm extremely happy to FINALLY have a good color match, the coverage, application, wear time, etc, just isn't HG status for me. The hunt continues :(

rated 5 of 5 on 3/13/2014 5:33:00 PM More reviews by Kathy11

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a foundation junkie. Low end, high end, I'll try them all. This one is in my top 3. Shiseido is a fantastic brand that puts out top quality products.
This foundation gives medium long lasting coverage that is still natural looking. Never Cakey never greasy.
I'm a nc20 and light natural beige is perfect for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2013 7:36:00 PM More reviews by ComaGray

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I have mostly dry, acne prone skin with a few oily areas. This foundation is made for combination skin. It mattifies the oily areas and hydrates the dry areas. This is my go to foundation for summer, when my oily areas are at it's worst. It has great staying power and medium coverage. It did not break me out at all. Love this!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2013 2:05:00 AM More reviews by kittykk

I started using this foundation when I wanted to try a liquid instead of going back to powder. I have combo skin so I was thrilled when I discovered it helps mattify the oily areas and hydrate the drier areas on the face. That is exactly what it does. It literally stayed on my face for 14 hours one day. I never have a problem with it separating or oxidizing. As far as causing breakouts, not yet and I have been using this for about a year. I believe it actually has improved my skin. I normally use my skincare and then apply foundation, set with powder and blot with blotting paper throughout the day.
The bottle is a bit old school, but I'll tolerate it. The bottle is a small price to pay for the great results this foundation offers.
The coverage is medium. If you use the Shiseido foundation brush it will look like your skin is airbrushed!!!! Happy so far:)

rated 4 of 5 on 8/2/2013 5:37:00 PM More reviews by evyyhl

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is the same review that I wrote on Shiseido's website. I suffered from acne for more than 15 years. I have sensitive skin, very large pores and deep acne scars around the T-zone. My cheeks and hairline are dry, flaky and sensitive. Many of the major department store brands either irritate, burn, or cause acne on my skin.

What I like about this foundation:
This foundation provides even coverage and makes my skin tone even, dewy, and fresh, but not smooth since I already have deep acne scars. It feels very light and non-greasy on my face. I don't feel that I'm wearing a very thick and heavy mask when I wear this foundation. I also like that it's paraben free. The color matches my Asian skin tone perfectly and hasn't cause any breakouts yet. This foundation is oil-free so it may be a little drying for dry and mature skin.

What I dislike about this foundation:
The price of this foundation is a little higher than I want to pay for a foundation. I take off one star because I wish it's fragrance free and the bottle comes with a pump so it's more hygienic.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2013 2:31:00 PM More reviews by SwampThing

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

I LOVE this foundation. I am very light skinned with yellow undertones and this is one of the only foundations I have found that perfectly matches me( I00 very light ivory). I could put this on in the morning and wake up the next morning and still look good! Does not make my face oily and does not break me out. Overall, this is one of the best foundations I have ever purchased and WILL purchase time and time again.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/4/2013 9:59:00 AM More reviews by etternax

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I tried this foundation today in the colour B20 natural light beige. They say the B is for pink undertone but I am a MAC NC25-27 and have no pinkiness whatsoever and this was great on my skin. Not pink at all, you could say more neutral than pink undertone. The texture is runny and the coverage is medium and looks very natural. I have combination skin with some oiliness on the cheeks and flaking on the nose (annoying) and this did not show when I wore it. I could have gotten a darker colour, but it was on sale and I wanted to give it a try. A bronzer would help with the colour if needed. The finish is natural, does not dry the skin or make it oily. I wear it over moisturizer and it stays well. The scent is also neutral and won't offend anyone I guess. Would use it up.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/24/2013 11:31:00 AM More reviews by jeca357

I've struggled with severe acne and therefor I've searched for years for a foundation that won't break me out or irritate my skin. My skin is extremely sensitive as well, so I had to try to find a product which I thought I would never find. Then, as if destiny itself, I came across Shiseido dual balancing foundation. I've waited to post a rewiev until I've used the foundation for a while so I'm completely sure of the results. And they are unbelievable good (used it for mounths now)! This foundation is not only a great product for sensitive and acne-prone skin but it is also an AMAZING foundation! Seriously, when I put it on, my skin looks like the skin of moviestar chicks! And I only put on the foundation, nothing else and my skin still looks natural and flawless! I'm sooo happy I've found the foundation of my life! My precious thing! I've tried Chanel, Dior, Clinique and so on but this one beats them all; as a product and as an foundation makeup!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/4/2013 8:04:00 PM More reviews by PeonyRed

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

First off, I am very wary of any foundation/bb cream/tinted moisturizer, because I have endured 2 years of terrible acne, and now that my skin is doing better, I don't want to screw it up. That being said, this foundation does not irritate my sensitive skin. Which is a huge priority of mine, therefore, this foundation is already worth it's 38 or so dollars.

It is also pale enough for me. Chanel failed me, which was a surprise, as did Nars and Stila. And don't get me started on Bobbi Brown's BS of endless yellow in their products. Ugh. Shiseido, however, as it is a Japanese brand, carries very light foundations. I have this in 00, which fits my NW 15 skin tone (using MAC terms here) perfectly. It has the usual consistency of a foundation, meaning it doesn't sink into my skin and pores as nicely as some of my bb creams, yet it doesn't feel sticky whatsoever. This I accredit to its matte finish. My bb creams all had dewy finishes, so this was my first success with a matte foundation. I have normal to dry skin, and it works fine.

The packaging is very elegant and simple, very fittingly Japanese, yet the lack of a nice hygienic pump is a downside. I generally just shake the foundation, and then dip my ring finger into the clinging residue on the inside of the cap itself, which does cover my complete face. The coverage is sheer to medium, but I'd say this is for someone who has more redness than true acne. This isn't MAC, it's not heavy duty full coverage, but it's friendlier to your skin as a result. I think pin point concealing with a concealer is a better technique anyway.

I would repurchase, simply because of the color, and that it's not damaged my skin. But I'm always on the lookout for new things:)

rated 4 of 5 on 3/27/2013 12:30:00 PM More reviews by Ohsoangelic

I adore this foundation. I have been using it for a year now, it provides medium coverage and does not look cakey as liquid foundation sometimes can. It does not break me out and it evens out my skin tone perfectly. My only advice to people would be to make sure you moisturizer well prior to applying, it helps the blending process. Also, I do wish they would change the packaging to a pump.