Shiseido The Makeup Dual Balancing Foundation SPF 17

3.5

Active: Octinoxate (1.9%), Titanium Dioxide (8.4%) Inactive: Water, Cyclomethicone, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Glycerin, Butylene Glycol, Dimethicone, Dimethicone/Vinyl Dimethicone Crossploymer, Dimethicone Copolyol, Bis-Butyldimethicone Polyglyceryl-3, Sorbitan Sesquiisostearate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Sodium Glutamate, PEG/PPG-14/7 Dimethyl Ether, Sodium Hyaluronate, Aluminum Hydroxide, Aluminum Distearate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Polysilicone-2, Barium Sulfate, BHT, Alumina, Tocopherol, Phenoxyenthanol, Fragrance, Iron Oxides, Mica

Updated 11/6

The consistency of this foundation is baffling to me. It takes forever to dry and can be very streaky to apply. I run the gamut of oily to dry skin depending on weather and neither skin type seems to be able to adapt to this foundation. I've discovered the best application for this foundation is with a makeup sponge or beauty blender. This is not versatile enough for stippling, with a flat foundation brush or buffing. Makeup sponges, however, soak up enough of the excess foundation on skin to leave a decently matte, sheer, MSBB finish. Without that absorption, you can end up with too-dewy skin or just look plain oily.

Not being one to waste product, I still use it. My skin, however, has been acting up (not the foundation's fault, I just recently moved) and so I need better coverage than what it can provide. Otherwise, good if you sponge foundation on, don't mind wasting expensive product and need minimally negligible coverage.

Pass.

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

this was ok. i have it in o20. it was my first foundation. its nice but nothing special

This is a beautiful foundation that really does balance my skin. It keeps my oily t-zone looking matte and it keeps my dry cheeks looking soft and hydrated. I apply the Shiseido Translucent Loose Powder over top of this foundation to set it and the finish looks satiny and so healthy and natural. I love it!

I am nc15, Revlon Buff, Covergirl Classic Ivory, Bare Minerals Fairly-Light, ..... and I wear the color O20 in this foundation.

As far as colors, I'd say:
O20 is about nc15 - nc20 (yellow based)
B20 is about nw15 - nw20 (pink based)
I20 is a neutral 15-20 level ivory
I00 is a neutral 5-10 level very light ivory (very pale)

As far as longevity, this lasts me at least 10-12 hours on a regular basis, without sliding off or disappearing. I do apply some Neutrogena Oil Control pressed powder to my nose to help with oil control. Works well!

Hope this helps! :)

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Mehhhh...I'm really torn about this foundation. I wanted so much to love it, but the best I can say is "it's alright." Very mediocre.

First, the good:
1) One of the closest color matches I've ever found, EVER. For this reason alone I really wanted to love this, because I'm ridiculously hard to match. Primarily because I'm super super fair, with neutral (sliiiightly leaning pinkish) undertones. With almost all foundations I try, the lightest shades are too dark and too yellow, but i00 was a great match. However, I do wish they had b00 available (the lightest shade they make in the "b" or "beige" range, which supposedly has pink undertones, is b20, which would have been too dark for me. The "i" or "ivory" range is neutral leaning yellow, so it's only the teensiest tiniest bit too yellow. Like BARELY yellow). Anyway, it's still the closest I've ever gotten in color match. Oh, and supposedly, according to Sephora's Pantone Color IQ, this foundation is "1R02." However, due to the sliiiight yellow undertone, I'd put this at 1Y02 personally.
(Personal aside: I think the Color IQ system is really sucky. They have some colors listed REALLY incorrectly. Like listing some foundations with "r" ("rosy"/pink) undertones when any human eye could tell you they're clearly very yellow. Anywho. Moral of the story is don't trust the ColorIQ, swatch in person.)

2) Has a nice coverage overall, looks pretty natural.
3) No smells or bad ingredients, according to Paula Begoun's beautypedia. This is important to me as I adamently avoid foundations with bad-for-skin ingredients.
4) Price is reasonable to me for high end foundation.

The bad, however:
1) Doesn't cover acne. Nope.
2) Slips and transfers like CRAZY before it is set with powder. In fact, after you apply it it really doesn't "set"...it really just sits liquidy on your skin. The problem with that is that if you try to go back to either add more foundation or concealer on blemishes or problem areas, the foundation that was there already will literally transfer right off of your face onto whatever you're using! (sponge, fingers, etc). SOOO frustrating! Then instead of a little red blemish you have a patch on your face that's lost foundation. Totally horrible. And trying to go back and fix it keeps resulting in the same thing...foundation wearing/transferring off just as you're trying to go back and cover up areas. AKEWJFKFJEAWKFJDKDF.
3) Oxidizes a TINY bit. Not as bad as other foundations I've tried, but still just enough to notice. That perfect color match from earlier is now 1/2 to 1 shade too dark for me.

Overall wear time on combo/oily skin is average. I've seen better, but I've seen worse. It's not a mattifying foundation, so don't expect it to control oil much. You'll need primer and powder for that.

I'll probably end up returning it. Even if I keep the bottle, I definitely won't repurchase. While I'm extremely happy to FINALLY have a good color match, the coverage, application, wear time, etc, just isn't HG status for me. The hunt continues :(

I have mostly dry, acne prone skin with a few oily areas. This foundation is made for combination skin. It mattifies the oily areas and hydrates the dry areas. This is my go to foundation for summer, when my oily areas are at it's worst. It has great staying power and medium coverage. It did not break me out at all. Love this!

I started using this foundation when I wanted to try a liquid instead of going back to powder. I have combo skin so I was thrilled when I discovered it helps mattify the oily areas and hydrate the drier areas on the face. That is exactly what it does. It literally stayed on my face for 14 hours one day. I never have a problem with it separating or oxidizing. As far as causing breakouts, not yet and I have been using this for about a year. I believe it actually has improved my skin. I normally use my skincare and then apply foundation, set with powder and blot with blotting paper throughout the day.
The bottle is a bit old school, but I'll tolerate it. The bottle is a small price to pay for the great results this foundation offers.
The coverage is medium. If you use the Shiseido foundation brush it will look like your skin is airbrushed!!!! Happy so far:)

This is the same review that I wrote on Shiseido's website. I suffered from acne for more than 15 years. I have sensitive skin, very large pores and deep acne scars around the T-zone. My cheeks and hairline are dry, flaky and sensitive. Many of the major department store brands either irritate, burn, or cause acne on my skin.

What I like about this foundation:
This foundation provides even coverage and makes my skin tone even, dewy, and fresh, but not smooth since I already have deep acne scars. It feels very light and non-greasy on my face. I don't feel that I'm wearing a very thick and heavy mask when I wear this foundation. I also like that it's paraben free. The color matches my Asian skin tone perfectly and hasn't cause any breakouts yet. This foundation is oil-free so it may be a little drying for dry and mature skin.

What I dislike about this foundation:
The price of this foundation is a little higher than I want to pay for a foundation. I take off one star because I wish it's fragrance free and the bottle comes with a pump so it's more hygienic.

Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine

I LOVE this foundation. I am very light skinned with yellow undertones and this is one of the only foundations I have found that perfectly matches me( I00 very light ivory). I could put this on in the morning and wake up the next morning and still look good! Does not make my face oily and does not break me out. Overall, this is one of the best foundations I have ever purchased and WILL purchase time and time again.

I tried this foundation today in the colour B20 natural light beige. They say the B is for pink undertone but I am a MAC NC25-27 and have no pinkiness whatsoever and this was great on my skin. Not pink at all, you could say more neutral than pink undertone. The texture is runny and the coverage is medium and looks very natural. I have combination skin with some oiliness on the cheeks and flaking on the nose (annoying) and this did not show when I wore it. I could have gotten a darker colour, but it was on sale and I wanted to give it a try. A bronzer would help with the colour if needed. The finish is natural, does not dry the skin or make it oily. I wear it over moisturizer and it stays well. The scent is also neutral and won't offend anyone I guess. Would use it up.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

I've struggled with severe acne and therefor I've searched for years for a foundation that won't break me out or irritate my skin. My skin is extremely sensitive as well, so I had to try to find a product which I thought I would never find. Then, as if destiny itself, I came across Shiseido dual balancing foundation. I've waited to post a rewiev until I've used the foundation for a while so I'm completely sure of the results. And they are unbelievable good (used it for mounths now)! This foundation is not only a great product for sensitive and acne-prone skin but it is also an AMAZING foundation! Seriously, when I put it on, my skin looks like the skin of moviestar chicks! And I only put on the foundation, nothing else and my skin still looks natural and flawless! I'm sooo happy I've found the foundation of my life! My precious thing! I've tried Chanel, Dior, Clinique and so on but this one beats them all; as a product and as an foundation makeup!