L'Oreal Color Riche Star Secret-703 Andy Mc Dowell

3.8

on 10/11/2010 6:50:00 PM

This color is NOT pink or rose, and calling it that is really misleading. In the tube its rich jewel garnet red color. I can see why some ladies were calling it rose red but its definately not rose or pink(haven't they ever seen color pink before?).
I fell in love with color in the tube-it looked just like what i was looking for-rich jewel tone color. Alas, i was dissapointed because its really quite sheer so all you get is reddish tint with some rose tones. However, Maybelline has almost exact same shade(slightly more bronze but very close) called "Sweet Nectar" and this is endeed opaque rich garnet red color that i was looking for.
BTW, you can make it look as dark red as Andy's photo-i used Rimmel's lipliner in Indian Pink(which is not pink but reddish color) and outlined my lips with it, then blended it with Andy's color and it looked very simular to the photo in the ad.
I'm giving it a 3 rating because color is lovely and if it was opaque color like i was expecting i would def repurchase but it isn't
PS. I'm wearing it in one of the pics in my profile(where i'm wearing red top)

on 6/29/2010 11:44:00 PM

I liked it, but didn't love. Typical L'Oreal wear time, texture, and smell (quite good on all counts), and the color is nice... a medium rose with a fine shimmer to it. It's a pretty "safe" color... I kinda wish it were a tad brighter or deeper when I wear it. Not bad, not great. Makes my face look more "alive" when I put it on.
Will not repurchase... I didn't feel that strongly about it.

on 11/14/2008 8:02:00 PM

The colour is definitely beautiful! And the texture is wonderful as well. However, this lipstick smells quite much and darn heavily. The only flaw I found.

on 11/24/2007 9:20:00 PM

Why they use the word "carmine" to describe this is beyond me, as it has no resemblance to any carmine in the world of artist's pigments that I've seen. I got this before they assigned a number to it, and I suppose they might have changed this since I purchased it, but the one I have is at best a medium rose-pink with quite a bit of mica in it. All of the shine comes from mica. How this looks almost red in photos of Andie is a mystery. I really would like to find a lipstick that actually looks that color. Also, the perfume on these is pretty strong - it's high time L'Oreal removed the heavy fragrance from this line.

on 3/22/2007 4:33:00 PM

I love lipstick, and L'Oreal lipsticks are among my favorite. When the Star Secrets line came out I rushed to it and bought the Milla shade. That's a great color, so I decided to buy other shades as well. A couple of days ago I got the shades for Andy McDowell, Noemie Lenoir and Natalie Imbruglia. the only one I have tried so far is this one (I'm not slow, but I do have 140 other lipsticks that need my love and attention as well). This turned out to be a bit more sheer than I had expected, but the color is really beautiful. On my sort of pigmented lips it goes on exactly like it's on the tube. A medium rose-red, more of a soft red with some rose in it.Looks like those really fake looking glossy strawberries that you can see anywhere, but it's sheer. It's a really beautiful shade, brightens my complexion. It's creamy and easy to apply, and yes, it has the trademark L'Oreal lipstick scent to it, but it doesn't bother me. Do I consider this lipstick unique enough to repurchase? Maybe. Nut I do recommend it, if you like red it's a nice change, and if you don't like red this is subtle enough too. UPDATE: This lipstick can look bronze-like depending on the lighting, you can even see that on the tube, it flashes bronze. This makes it a very unique color, and a rather warm rose-red.

on 2/15/2007 2:37:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse

Meh. This was a basic rosy pink on my lips, or rather, a basic rosy pink after I swiped it on 3 or 4x. In short, very disappointing color payoff that resulted in a shade that wasn't unique enough to rave about or repurchase. Also, the lipstick was hard and gritty, not creamy and smooth like my other L'Oreal lipsticks. NC 30/35 Asian skintone, pigmented lips for reference.

I like this lipstick. Good thing I bought this even though I was lipstick hunting for the ever elusive Aishwarya Rai beige which was also ok.

I prefer reddish color than beige though so Andie's rose carmine is a better match for me!

on 12/16/2006 5:44:00 PM

I love this color. I cannot wear a true red lipstick because it makes my pale skin look even paler. This is a great substitute. It almost seems like "light red." This is a color that I have had trouble finding.

It provides moisture. I just wish the color would last longer. However, it doesn't come off immediately. It also bleeds if you don't wear lip liner.

on 11/25/2006 11:04:00 AM

This color is so great, I need to put my allready written review here where it belongs. (I listed it under Color Riche Star Secrets first)
I purchased Andi's Carmine because it looked like a cool toned reddish color.
It suits me well and compliments my skin. It figures, I have dark hair and cool skintone too. It has no glitter or shimmer, and it is not a bright red yellowish red. It gives my lips a satiny look, with a subtle red (almost berry) color that goes well with my complexion and makes my teeth look white. A surprizingly flattering color, suitable for both daytime and evenings. UPDATE: This l/s is so moisturizing it feels like a lipgloss. With good staying power. Only thing I don't like is that it stains whatever I'm drinking off. But that goes for almost all lipstuff.
UPDATE: Have noticed that the color is slightly sheer, but that just mean I can use it at work too. I recently purchased Natalies Ruby on sale, and found it quite similar tho this one in the tube. BUT it is more pigmented and a tad more on the brownish side when on my lips. Slightly warmer, but still not clashing with my cool skintone.

on 9/21/2006 10:05:00 AM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I really, really wanted to love this color. It looked so good in the magazines and in the tube. When I put it on, it just seemed to clash with my skin and everything. I love wearable reds, and for me, this wasn't it.

Popular Lipsticks