October 20, 2014 | 1965 users online

Sunscreen - Bioderma - Photoderm AR spf50 uva33 cream

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/10/2014 1:14:00 PM More reviews by katmu1

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I decided to try the Bioderma Photoderm AR as I liked the fact that it was supposed to be an anti-redness sunscreen, and the lighter tint appealed to me. I was hoping to find something with a better finish and less white cast than the Bioderma Sensitive. The tint of this is a lighter shade than most tinted sunscreens I've tried so that's a plus (I'm a little lighter than NC15). I didn't find the finish too greasy on my very dry, sensitive skin and it seemed to work well under makeup.

However, this contains denatured alcohol albeit farther down on the ingredient list than many other sunscreens I've tried. The alcohol was still enough to flare my rosacea though so this is a no-go for me. I tested this for 1 week first and then alternated this and the Bioderma Sensitive on alternating days. On days I wore this my cheeks and nose would turn red a few hours after applying.

I so wish this didn't have the alcohol as other than that and the high cost, this was the best sunscreen I've tried so far. I live in the US so it's more expensive ($26 for 30 ml). I'm 43 with dry, sensitive skin and mild rosacea.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/3/2013 9:38:00 PM More reviews by Isabird

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

My skin is very sensitive, oily but flaky in certain areas... on top of that I have redness on my cheeks and a little on my chin. I usually stick to mineral sunscreens because they don't irritate my skin and because they provide immediate sun protection (chemical sunscreens take around 30 minutes after you apply them to start working).
Photoderm AR is the only chemical sunscreen I continue to use and it's the only one that my skin tolerates well. It's tinted but does not provide any coverage whatsoever, I think the beige tint just helps minimize the white cast you can get from sunscreens.
It is a bit emollient for my taste but I haven't noticed any breakouts or clogged pores from it. You do have to double cleanse in order to fully remove it, because it is water-resistant.
It has a thick, creamy consistency but it is easy to blend on the skin. It leaves skin shiny and a bit sticky, but it's nothing unbearable. It's fragrance free but I detect a faint citrus-y scent that is not offensive or persistent.
I use it in the morning on my bare face. Because it contains synthetic sunscreen ingredients, it is best for it to have contact with your face with no "buffer" in between (i.e. moisturizer, primer, or even serums). It does contain antioxidants and leaves my skin sort of primed (maybe because it has a tick consistency). I feel that it moisturizes my skin quite well and keeps it plump throughout the day (although I get shiny more quickly when I use this).
The reason I purchase this sunscreen is mainly because it is easy to find in the drugstore where I live and it is not pricey here. It is not my favorite for every day (my current HG sunscreen is Clinique Redness Solutions Daily Protective Base, but that one is very expensive in my country and not readily available) but it fits the bill. I like that it has a high SPF... I've also used it at the beach and it has worked quite well.
Overall, I think this is a good product for sensitive skin but I feel drier o combo skin types would enjoy it more than me. If, like me, your options are limited this is definitely a good product to try out.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/16/2012 7:44:00 AM More reviews by aessop

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love this sunscreen. I use the natural tint version. Other chemical based sunscreens claiming to be for sensitive skin have always broken me out or clogged my pores. Its consistency is just perfect for about every part of my body. The natural tint just smoothes itself onto my skin and totaly blends in. I can slather on as much as I want of this stuff especially during summer and I don't feel like I'm overdoing it. I like the anti-redness factor. When I have a bit of redness, I can always rely on this product to sooth it away. I believe its a fantastic product for anyone with very sensitive skin as during my worst days when I suffered from irritation, it never let me down. as for price. I know alot of the reviewers have complained that its a bit pricey but I think its worth it. I hope my pharmacist stocks this product forever. Update 09.07.2012 - Still enjoying this sunscreen. I've been asked if I find this suncreen moisturising and the anwer is no I don't- which is actually good since alot I've tried have actually made me feel greasy. I'm one of those people who believe in applying a separate moisturiser for my skin-type and then applying a sunscreen. Try this method if you're using this product as a stand-alone.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2011 1:21:00 PM More reviews by bboughton

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a really great sunscreen particularly for people like me with sensitive skin. It's also tinted, a great advantage in a mineral-based sunscreen and the sun protection it offers against UVA and UVB is outstanding. I can wear this for an entire day while other chemical sunscreens, including the best ones from europe I cannot. I'm a medical writer and I've written a lot about sunscreens and skin cancer, plus am a skin cancer survivor who suffers from occasional dermatitis. This is one of my favorite sunscreens for high sun days although I don't wear it everyday -- it's too darn expensive. Would definitely recommend it for those who need really good sun protection and also have rosacea eczema and sensitive skin issues. It can be a trifle oily, but that's easily covered with a little face powder.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/30/2010 2:41:00 PM More reviews by H20girl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This is my HG sunscreen but is very expensive. It is easy to apply with a light texture that allows my skin to breath while giving amazing sun protection. It does have a light tint but it is one of the few tinted products that is not to dark for my very pale skin. (Tint is much lighter than Photoderm Max Cream SPF50+). My biggest skin problems are very bad allergies and occasional perioral dermititis which make my skin red and super sensitive. The "AR" in the name is for Anti-Redness and it does help with the amount of redness I experience. I have broken out in instant welts and rashes from other sunscreens but I have never had a reaction to this or anyother Bioderma product. My skin is super dry in the in winter and I live in a cold climate so I have to put a moisturizer on before I use this but in the summer I apply without moisturizer. My only complaint is the price. When I can not get friends to bring me some from Europe I buy it for about $35 for 30ml (1oz) so it can be very expensive to use everyday. Occassionally I get fed up with the price and that you can not buy it in the US so I try something new but I always come back to this.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2009 10:04:00 AM More reviews by Daniela1977

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

As i don't like wearing make up at AM - Bioderma AR is great option for me.Also i have problem with flaky skin and this s/s helps a lot.My skin is combo ( dry around my mouth ), very clog/prone , sensitive & reactive and this doesn't cause me any problems.I don't think this will be good for oily skins OR for me in summer as is quite shiny.

rated 4 of 5 on 8/24/2008 11:17:00 AM More reviews by oooHUNTRESSooo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

this is one of the best sunscreens i've ever tried. every summer i get white spots on my face, but this summer i had none, probably thanks to this sunscreen. i also had no breakouts since this product is non-comedogenic, but it's just a bit to greasy for my slightly oily skin. it's also pretty expensive, 15 for 30ml. i won't buy it again only because of the price.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/31/2007 11:04:00 PM More reviews by Sonatina

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

With customs, taxes, and shipping, I paid a total of $46 CDN for a 30mL tube.

This has a light natural tint so you won't get a white cast from it. The bad news is, the tint is too dark for me. :[ It's visibly darker than the skin on my body so I really can't use it there. My face is slightly darker than my body, but the tint is still a bit too dark. For reference, I'm a Jane Iredale Bisque.

It's not resistant to rubbing or water at all. It was cold outside so I had to blow my nose, and lots of ss came off on my tissue. I also wiped my lips after lunch, and again quite a bit of ss came off. My face has remained matte throughout the day(I used Everyday Minereals Finishing Dust on top), but if you look closely, you can see the ss on my face as you would foundation, which is unacceptable to me. On the plus side, it is fragrance free.

I will stick with LRP Dermo-Peds Lait. :)
continued >>

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/30/2007 4:38:00 PM More reviews by Anna_Copa_Cabana

Once I got over the shock over how small the tube is, I put this on over my skinceuticals c e ferulic serum. The sunscreen dries to a satin finish on me with nothing under it, however over my C serum, it's a tad shiny. Not greasy, but definitely a tad shiny. It dries quickly and the tint is just perfect for me (pale). I didn't expect it to do anything at all but it really evens out my complexion to the extent that I don't wear foundation over it. This is just added incentive to wear it as far as I'm concerned. I do wear a bit of concealer over it and then pouf on some sheer powder to take down the shine though. The smell is definitely what I would categorize as bad, but it fades almost instantly so I don't care. (If I can get used to c e ferulic, I can get used to anything). Over the course of the day, I think it wears pretty well, holds up during workouts, and doesn't seem to be irritating my skin. As for feel, yes, it does feel heavy. I just accept that high PPD sunscreen is going to be heavy so I'm over it, but it's something to consider of that's a problem for you. If it helps, I don't think it feels as cloying as some of the LRP formulas I've tried. For reference, I have somewhat sensitive skin that is combo and excessively acne-prone. I order it from beautyplatinium but I'd love to find somewhere else that doesn't have incompetent customer service. ;)

UPDATE: Well, as much as I liked the high ppd, and the finish of this sunscreen, each time I've used it has resulted in serious acne. Not just clogged pores, but serious cysts that I normally never get. very bummed.

Ingredients:

Photoderm AR SPF 50/PPD 33 - 30 mL (formerly Flush)
water (aqua), dicaprylyl carbonate, octocrylene, methylene bis-benzotriazolyl tetramethylbutylphenol, butyl methoxydibenzoylmethane, alcohol denat., cyclomethicone, dimethiconol behenate, glycerin, potassium cetyl phosphate, glyceryl stearate, peg-100 stearate, hydrogenated vegetable oil, glycyrrhetinic acid, ginkgo biloba extract, glycine soya (soybean) germ extract, tocopheryl acetate, ectoin, mannitol, xylitol, rhamnose, fructo-oligosaccharides, laminaria ochroleuca extract, propylene glycol, decyl glucoside, ammonium acryloyldimethyltaurate/vp copolymer, xanthan gum, iron oxides (ci 77492), titanium dioxide (ci 77891), disodium edta, trilinolein, bht, iron oxides (ci77491), iron oxides (ci 77499), citric acid, trilinolenin, triolein, tripalmitin, caprylic/capric trigyceride, tristearin, phenoxyethanol, methylparaben, propylparaben. ethylparaben

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2006 12:10:00 AM More reviews by Honeywell66

Age: Unknown Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This is my favorite euro sunscreen so far. SPF 50 with a PPD of 30, so it offers very good protection. It's slightly tinted a very light color, so it doesn't have as much of a white cast as the bioderma max lait I've been using. The AR has a fairly thin (not goopy) consistency, and it's pretty easy to put on. I put on an 1/8 of a teaspoon by patting it onto my skin, let that set for a few minutes, then add another 1/8 teaspoon. Be warned: If you have any peeling or flakies at all, this stuff will really cling and will almost start to ball up.
It can be a tad shiny, but it does fade quite a bit and can be handled with a quick dusting of powder. All in all, I really, really like this stuff. I buy it from beautyplatinum.com for $19 plus $8 for priority shipping. It comes very fast and they do give you some samples. Not as many as Tubotica, but Tubotica doesn't have this product just yet so I guess I have no choice. :0)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No