December 21, 2014 | 1089 users online

Styling Products - Garnier - Fructis Brilliantine Shine Cream-Gel

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2012 1:30:00 PM More reviews by Bylaw

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is truly one of my HG gels.

The lovely slip in this makes it super easy to apply - I use it with other gels specifically BECAUSE of the slip. It makes distributing everything throughout my hair super easy. I use this every day.

It has a fantastic hold and leaves no flakes. I'm probably on my 10th bottle of this, it's a great gel and one of my products that always goes with me even on vacation. Gives me lovely, defined, nonfrizzy waves.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/4/2012 10:43:00 AM More reviews by MsSexyDivine

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Other Eyes: Brown

Overall this product worked okay, I have dry, curly hair & it held my curls okay, but did nothing at all for frizz. I think the major problem I had with this is the smell, it has a fruity, plastic, hairspray scent which was a little too strong. My boyfriend even made a comment & said "whatever that is in your hair stinks." So I will not be repurchasing this again.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2008 9:55:00 AM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Just did not work for me. I have fine, dry hair. This cream-gel made my hair feel greasy and dirty. Did not hold any of my hair styles that I tried. Also did not notice any "shine" from this prodcut.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2007 10:05:00 AM More reviews by stellina

I might have found my HG styling product... I have coarse, thick hair in a mid-length layered cut that I iron almost every day, and I've tried a number of things to keep it under control. Recently I returned to Garnier's styling cream in the tube, but found that I had to be careful as it looked greasy & overly flat if I applied the slightest bit too much; then I tried the styling milk in the bottle but both products weren't giving me quite the control I was after. At Garnier's prices, it was worth it to experiment. It was very damp today & there was no evidence of frizz or kinks by the time I got to the office: I just brushed out my hair & it returned to the way it looked when I finished blow-drying. I should note that I used it on wet hair & then blow-dried it - can't comment on it for use on dry hair.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 12/9/2007 4:53:00 PM More reviews by littlebella25

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

The first few times I liked this, but only because I didn't use enough of it too see how it really effected my hair. Well yesterday I ran out of my silk therapy and grabbed my housemate's bottle of this stuff--using a quarter sized amount (my hair is thicky, curly, and past my shoulders).

Well..yucky. My hair looked like crap that day! Stiff and dry looking and not at all cooperative. It did nothing for shaping, frizz or taming. The only thing it did do was make it dry and sticky and frizzy.

BOOOO to this junk!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2007 8:17:00 AM More reviews by cutestuff

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have fine colored treated hair that is basically straight. I use this on slightly damp hair to set my curls. It holds very well...eliminates any frizz I have and makes my hair LOOK healthy.

The hold is softly firm..if that makes sense..not stiff or crunchy and at times, am able to use NO Hairspray!!

The gel is creamy, somewhat sticky, but since I am using it as a setting product rather than hair smoother I'm not coating any hair appliance. The smell is OK.

Would purchase again.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2007 5:50:00 PM More reviews by dolcefan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

The poster below hit the nail on the head. This product would be great for updos or any sort of heavy styling. However, it is not marketed as such. After reading 'rave reviews' in a magazine, I thought I would try it. A nice creme-based "gel" to give my hair hold and shine, shine, shine. wrong. it makes my hair feel dirty and unmanageable. I tried using less (a dime sized drop rather than a quarter sized for my below-shoulder length hair) It still made my hair look and eel GREASEY. Not shiney....greasey. I also find it very hard to blow dry my hair straight using this....so no, this is not a "great everyday gel", for hold and no....it doesn't give much shine. Will not repurchase.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/24/2007 10:05:00 AM More reviews by mspicky

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

this product is a creamy gel. This means it will do what gel does, without as much crunchiness. Shine? Not really. Hold? Yes. It's supposed to be used with heat styling tools so if you just let it airdry, you aren't using it properly. Straightening? Not really, and it doesn't give slip so it's hard to pull a flatiron through it. The buildup is really strong, just like with a gel product.

So you might ask yourself, what is this good for?!! It's good for updos. If you work it through very damp/wet hair, and then blowdry, your hair will feel oddly stiff and dirty. This is called giving hair guts. Once this is done, you can tease it and put it up in an updo and then use a flatiron and curling irons on it and set it with a shine spray and it holds and doesn't fall flat. This function is most useful for girls with thin lank hair that falls out of updos because it's slippery and limp. Hairspray gives that crunchy look and doesn't really help with the styling part of it, gel can be too crispy and flake. Use this before blowdrying then style with hot rollers or any other hot tool, and you will be very happy you did.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 1/20/2007 11:39:00 AM More reviews by ultimagrl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Overall I think this stuff does not perform well. The things I like are the fragrance which is definitely not as strong as Herbal Essence's Pin Straight foam (which I like but the strength of the smell drives me crazy), the consistency of the product and the packaging. Other than that I hate it. I used a quarter sized dollop for my straight but with body, beyond-shoulder length hair. While this did help make my hair straighter than usual, it was hard to get my round brush through to style and, after drying, my hair feels like straw. Definitely will not repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/11/2006 1:32:00 PM More reviews by krysownzu

This has a nice scent. It lasts all day. It also smooths my hair and adds a little bit of body. I would repurchase. It makes my hair very soft. Just be sure not to overdo it, today I added a bit too much and my hair feels a little sticky on top for some reason, but that's my own fault.