August 21, 2014 | 1810 users online

Eye Shadow - Christian Dior - 5 Colour Shadow - Mystic Jade 390

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2013 3:02:00 AM More reviews by Marianthoula

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I did not expect to like this, but Mystic Jade 390 is actually a cute quint.

I bought this to satisfy the collector in me, and it did not turn out as bad as I feared. True, it lacks the butter-soft Dior feel (except the lower left) but it is not chalky or difficult to work with. Pigmentation is the standard from Dior, you get a soft wash, a hint if you like, of what you see in the pan. As the reviewer below me very accurately wrote, it is supposed to make you look good instead of your make-up.

Now I have a thing with these quints, I have to come up with a look that incorporates every colour. I know it is not how it's supposed to work, even the Dior leaflets show instructions of 3 colours at a time, but this is just me. Anyway, here is how I do it (over TFSI Lemon and with all brushes MAC):

- Apply bottom left on the outer V using a pencil brush (219) and bring it on the crease. Slightly diffuse the edges but do not tone it down much, we need it for later.
- Apply upper left on outer third with 239 and blend the edge where it meets the bottom left. Apply on outer half of lower lashline as well, using a 242.
- Apply bottom right on inner third with 239 and lightly under the half bottom lashline with 242. Blend where the two meet.
- Apply upper right on the middle of the lid with 239.
- Using a 217 lightly trace the outer edge of crease with the middle shade (this is why I do not diffuse much before).
- Use what is left on your brush from before to apply the peachy (bottom right) under the browbone, since the previous step makes it very cool and ashy-toned for my skin. This brings warmth back while being imperceptible.

And that's it! It takes more time to put it in words than actually do it (OK, not much more) but I did not expect to like it half as much as I do. I wear it in Winter and I can see me wearing it in Spring and Summer as well.

Dior quints may seem pricey but it is actually very worthy and cheaper per gram. than your average middle-end shadows. It is the initial investment that is hard to do.

I do not expect to run out of it just because I have so many eyeshadows and more keep coming out every season, but if for some reason I needed to buy again then yes, I would. I am happy with this purchase. Not thrilled, mind you, but happy. Somewhere between a 3,5 and 4 rating.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/8/2012 10:02:00 AM More reviews by mizzcindy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

I received this palette in a swap because I was on a Dior e/s palette rush and I wanted to have them all :)
At first I regretted the swap because the colours looks a bit strange together in the palette. They are an unexpected set of colours: a taupe brown, a almost chartreuse light green, a shimmery peach, a dark green brown duochrome (very pretty, a bit like MAC's Club but more subtle) and a light sky blue in the middle.
I shopped my stash and I rediscovered this palette when looking for pastels and light e/s colours that are so on trend this Spring.
The light green, blue and peach in this palette are very pastel looking, so I decided to play around with it before making a decision about putting this on swap again.
I used the pale pastels and added the taupe in the crease and every combo I tried was very pretty imo. The green with blue, the green with the peach, all three pastels together. I used the taupe in the crease, or the darker green/ brown in the outer v to give a more smoky look.

So the palette that looked a bit odd at first glance, now turned out to be quite versatile.
The colours can make you look fresh and subtle or they can give a more dramatic look by adding more of the darker colours.
I agree on the pigmentation: Dior e/s are not compareble to MAC or UD in pigmentation, but I think they are not meant to be. They have a totally different quality: they make you look good instead of your make up.
You don't want to pack the colours on, because then they can look chalky, but when you use them with a light hand, they look absolutely fresh and gorgeous.
If you're looking for lots of pigment in your e/s, I don't think you can find this at the Dior counter, but if you're looking for a nice, fresh and pretty colouring, this is great.
I don't regret swapping for this and I would have bought this if I had the chance.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/10/2011 11:56:00 PM More reviews by pocky

This palette is a piece of garbage. I loved the colors and tried so many times to get them to work but they have zero pigmentation. The colors don't show up at all. I never thought I would throw out a $46 dollar palette but that's exactly what I did. I'm so angry!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/9/2010 7:38:00 PM More reviews by renaissancegirl

While the texture of these shadows is quite smooth, they lack pigmentation. The pastels in this palette also appeared chalky when applied to the lid and I could never build it up to any intense level (even with a good primer). The gem of this palette is the taupe/mermaid green duo-chrome shade in the lower left. This one applied best in the bunch, did not look chalky and looked marvelous on my lid. I actually pick up this palette frequently for this shade alone. I don't think I'd purchase this just for this one beautiful color though.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2010 7:31:00 PM More reviews by Embeth3

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This was my first Dior Quint - I bought this when I was about 18 and I still have it and still love it. The colours are an unusual combination - an icy pale blue, shimmery coral peach, flat, slightly sheer olive green, matte taupe and deep green flecked brown. I agree the green is not the most pigmented but it does give a pretty, subtle wash of colour. The coral shade is perfect for adding a bit of warmth as the blue and taupe both run a tiny bit cool. The darkest colour, deep brown with jade shimmer is amazing though and is probably what made me fall in love with this palette in the first place. I always feel very sophisticated when I wear this!
Looks wonderful paired with Chanel Rouge Allure in Fabulous lipstick.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2010 10:49:00 PM More reviews by luluhalabaloo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I like this quint - it's a great daytime look and really is versatile. Reminds me of better days gone by, kind of evoking that 70's feel when everything was fun and the houses had those olive appliances! Mod. That's the word I would use to describe it. The problem is, I am very cool toned now, my cheeks are pink, peaches just don't work on me anymore, and I am sad because I love this quint. It would work if I tan a bit, use gold and put more gold in my hair, and cover the red in my skin and lips, then I can make it work, especially if I wear a jade shirt (and I do wear a lot of greens, so maybe it would work! Maybe I will buy it after all, ah, decisions! of all the quints one of my favorites. Also, not sparkly which I like.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/22/2009 5:34:00 PM More reviews by Brelki

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

This is not a quint I would have normally picked up, but I'm glad I did. I'm NC20, reddish blonde hair, with green eyes. I can honestly say that I haven't worn the light green color, but the other colors in the quint are just gorgeous on. I like the peach color as all over on my lid (over a base of a colored paint pot), and then I apply either the duo-chrome-esque green/brown or the greyish-green in the crease. It's a very easy daytime look that's not too dramatic or dark. While it's not one I would have grabbed off the shelf, it's definitely a great quint to own. It has some of the most unique colors I've seen.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/21/2009 2:47:00 PM More reviews by Schelli

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

This is the one Dior product I've tried that I just did not like. I ended up returning it to Sephora and got Sky Glow instead. I thought the colours were very flat and kind of muddy looking. I mainly got this for the green, which barely showed up (go get Tropical Light quint or the Tropic Look duo for gorgeous greens that pop!), and the brown colours were just very dirty and muddy looking. I could not get these colours to go together and look nice on me. Also lacked the staying power that I usually get with Dior products. This one was definately a miss fo rme.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/19/2009 11:08:00 PM More reviews by valentina555

this has been my only disappointment in the reformulated Dior quints. the pale green color has barely any pigmentation which is disappointing, same goes for the light peach and the turqoise. i find the lasting power in this palette to be much less than the others. still very pretty but not up to Dior quint expectations. the two dark colors are great, but the other 3 are duds.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/19/2008 4:31:00 PM More reviews by Supervixen79

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

My first Dior eyeshadow. At first I thought that the color combination (peach, pastel green, pastel turquoise, grey-brown and a dark green-brown) was somewhat strange, but then I fell in love with the quint. This palette is great just because it's so unusual. I can wear all the five colors together or create different looks with 2-3 colors. My favorite look is probably pastel green in the inner corner, grey-brown on the lid and crease and the darkest shade in the outer corner and on the lower lid with a touch of peach to give light to the inner corner of the lower lid. The dark duochrome green-brown shade is SO beautiful and unique! I love it!