October 2, 2014 | 1508 users online

Hair - Bumble & Bumble - Hair Powder

rated 1 of 5 on 5/19/2014 9:26:00 PM More reviews by larabr

I literally waited years to buy this, because it's so expensive I could never convince myself to buy it. After I did, I regreted it the first time I used it. I have chocolate brown hair and bought the brown powder, but I hate it. It's sticky, it's like applying hair spray directly onto your roots, and it does not work well as a dry shampoo. It made my hair look nasty and took away all the shine (the good shine!). Also, it stained my fingers as I tried to brush the powder away and blend it in. It just looked like I applied brown spray paint on my head! And it's such a shame because I really wanted to like this...

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/21/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by Cheapchic

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I paid $50 plus tax for a full size bottle at Sephora in Canada, which IMO is a $$$ product. It's marketed mostly as a temp colouring agent for roots which are growing out and a great idea for those who are between touch ups. I bought it mostly to cover up some thin spots on my crown which are especially unbecoming for women. I also have coarse straight black hair and a light scalp which makes it very apparent that my hair is thinning. Anywho, I was quite impressed by its ability to camouflage all of my bald spots and make the remainder of scalp look like I was born with enormous amounts of volume.

HOWEVER, the product did make my scalp quite itchy. And relieving your itchy scalp only leaves some serious black residue on one'sfingers. And wearing light colours only escalates the issue with the black residue. (The black residue is only applicable if you are using the black powder formula so I cannot comment on the other shades.) I am contemplating whether to return the product as I like the advantages of having the baldness camouflaged but the black residue is overwhelmingly disarming. Perhaps if I had a big day like a speaking engagement or an important date, I might use it. I might be more inclined if the product were in the $20 range. Give it a try in the store before investing.

rated 2 of 5 on 2/21/2013 8:43:00 PM More reviews by thornlk

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I really wanted to love this product because I have naturally lighter hair than the top color of my ombre, especially around my face, and the prospect of having something to use between colorings was exciting. I bought a travel size of the blondish (which is pretty dark for a blonde honestly. If my hair wasn't ombre'd it wouldn't have worked out well at all) at Sephora and I'm so glad I did the smaller size before spending more on a full one!! I had read other reviews and was expecting a possible mess because the powder is after all colored and is coming out of an aerosol can, but it really wasn't that messy. It did color my brush when I brushed it through, but that rinsed off easily with a little soap and water. It looked good and did blend my light roots into the dark blonde/light brown, and it got rid of any oil and made my hair look refreshed. BUT I CAN'T STAND THE SMELL!!! It smells like paint or... something I can't put my finger on, but definitely chemically. The smell followed me around all day and made me feel so self-conscious. I know I'm paranoid now but I keep thinking I smell whiffs of it even after washing my hair. I was super disappointed because if this only smelled better I would be in love :(

rated 1 of 5 on 7/26/2012 7:07:00 AM More reviews by jeanniep74

I hate this product. I bought it because I have bald spots on the crown of my head and wanted to cover my scalp as much as possible. I've read reviews that other users have used it for this purpose. I shook the can very well but it still sputtered and made a mess. I used it after putting on makeup and my face had spots that I had to scrub really hard to get off then reapply my makeup. No matter how careful I was, I just got all over my bathroom too. I would almost have to have someone else do it while I sat on my porch and covered my face. That's just too much work and effort for something that doesn't work that well. My scalp itched all day. It made my hair very dull at the top. I'm not sure who would benefit from this product. Too expensive for such a small can.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/3/2012 7:41:00 PM More reviews by melliemelmel

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I use the brown spray to cover my gray roots when they are coming in. This does a much better job of hiding the grays than the other products I've tried such as color hair mascaras, etc. it makes my hair much fuller too. It is a bit drying though so I wouldn't suggest using it daily. But I love that my hair never looks flat or white likes a lot of the other dry shampoo powders do.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/3/2012 12:12:00 PM More reviews by Pmichrami

I bought this for the obvious reason that my hair gets greasy. I got the white spray and it does leave some grey color on my roots ( I have dark brown hair), but I figured I would let it sit, shake it out and then brush it. Given it did remove the oil, it left my hair feeling pasty, it felt dirty and it had almost the effect of hairspray...It felt so nasty. My sister also tried it and my sister blowed dried her hair after and she said it looked awful, like trying to blow dry dirty hair with too much product. That's not why I give it one star, I give it one star because it made my HAIR FALL OUT. I have never had that problem before this product and then all of a sudden my hair started falling out, I quickly returned it and the problem has definitely gotten better. Not worth paying 40 bucks for this!!! I dont recommend it one bit!!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2012 11:03:00 PM More reviews by sultry

I agree this product may be pricey but it is worth every penny. I love how it gives volume esp on the roots, absorb oil and truly works. It is a bit scary if you are wearing something white/light because there is a chance it could run down your temples. That being said, it has happened only once to me. I have tried both the black and the brown and they are both beautiful.

A little goes a long way so use sparingly.

This is my HG and I have been re-purchasing it for a very long time now. I am probably on my 6th - 8th bottles.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/22/2011 10:50:00 AM More reviews by xtinahb

Tried this is in Black on my fine, straight Asian hair. I have blunt cut bangs that are always greasy by mid-afternoon, thanks to my habit of constantly touching and mussing them. This Hair Powder's effectiveness is 5 lippies: a quick spritz, wait, then brush through produced thick, matte, full bangs in 2 minutes flat. The formula on this powder is amazing and definitely refreshed and degreased my bangs. The downside? The perpetual black powder tinge ALL OVER my hands because, naturally, I continue to play with my bangs and proceeded to smudge my forehead and nose as well. I will try in the White shade and see if it works on my dark hair just because I love this formula, but I don't trust my roving hands to stay put and the black powder seriously ended up all over the place.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/19/2011 12:53:00 AM More reviews by itsmestacy

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

My hair is fine and thin and falling out (genetics--my grandma was bald by 60, I'm 42).

I had been putting highlights in it to "trick" they eye to make the spots where you see to my scalp blend in. But it was too damaging what little hair I had left, so when I grew it out from super-short, I went back to my natural color, a dark brown.

What I use this for (in the brown color) is to spray at the roots to darken my scalp to make it not show through the hair.

It does also add volume at the roots, which is great, and de-greases 2- or 3- day hair, but primarily I'm using it to hide the thinning, and so I use it like this:

After I've styled my hair (straightened it, or whatever) I part my hair on the side and give it a spray at the part, then repeat on the other side, then do that with a center part, then do a horizontal part across the back of the crown and spray it there. I do this all quite quickly, so it doesn't dry, then I flip my head over and with the pads of my fingers, sort of rub it in all over my scalp to blend it all in until I can feel it is dry.

Yes, it is HUGELY messy. I use gloves whenever I have some lying around, otherwise I just wash my hands immediately after. Then, I take a wide tooth comb and run it through the top putting hair back into place and it has volume and you CAN'T SEE MY SCALP. Which is AWESOME for me.

I know not to scratch my head because it will get stuff on my fingers. And it gets on my pillowcase if I don't wash my hair (which I generally don't--I try to get 2-3 days of hair out of it before washing because it's crazy expensive). And my boyfriend knows not to touch my hair on top, just runs his fingers through the length of the hair instead.

But I FINALLY can go out with my shoulder-length hair down, instead of always wearing a hat or a high ponytail, and not look like a chemo patient. So that makes it all worth it for me.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 7/24/2011 4:13:00 PM More reviews by TeHNyboR

Overpriced crap!! I've had the absolute worst luck with dry shampoos, and this was the worst of the bunch! I bought the black spray for my black hair (obviously) and it dulled my hair down to the point of no shine whatsoever! It didn't absorb the oil, but more likely coated my hair in a fine film that made it feel even greasier, and with a weird gritty texture. Also, I couldn't even touch my hair, otherwise the color would rub off on my hands and leave me scrubbing them for a good 15 minutes! Not only is it a crappy product, but it's shockingly overpriced! I don't recommend this to anyone!!