October 25, 2014 | 1858 users online

Mascara - Shu Uemura - Precise Volume Mascara Waterproof

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2013 9:59:00 AM More reviews by ASmallTurnip

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I love this mascara. It does everything I need it to. I have short, stubbornly straight lashes that resist curling, and most of the mascaras I've tried from both the low and high end have been a major disappointment for one reason or another. But here's why Shu's Precise Volume works for me:

1) The formula is relatively liquid, so it applies smoothly on my lashes without clumping. (God, I hate clumping. I refuse to negotiate with clumps. I'll never have mental alertness necessary to painstakingly untangle my lashes with a tiny metal lash comb first thing in the morning. I know some women have the patience for it, but I'm not one of them.) It then dries relatively quickly, but not so quickly that I don't have enough time to properly coat and arrange my lashes. And if I want to go back and apply more layers, it doesn't complain. My lashes stay evenly separated, thickened and very noticeably lengthened.

2) The wand is a medium-sized bristle applicator, which is the only kind that I can make work for me. The large, DiorShow-style brushes never seem to give me enough detailed control, and the smaller, narrower, Maybelline Great Lash-style brushes make application a bit of a laborious chore. And above all, it's not one of the plastic comb-style brushes that always seem to leave me incandescent with muddy-eyelashed rage, like Clinique's High Length or Benefit's They're Real. I know other reviewers have highlighted the dual aspect of the Precise Volume wand (the bristles are slightly shorter on the sides), but in my experience, that really doesn't affect the application either way. It's simply an excellent, sensibly-designed brush.

3) It's waterproof, but not impossible to get off. I use Clinique's cream cleanser, and I never need to use a separate eye makeup remover to get the Precise Volume off. If I've been wearing eyeshadow, I generally do use a remover, but I don't need it for my mascara alone. And the waterproof aspect of it is a real life-saver for me: I live in London. It rains. I get sweaty when I'm crammed onto the Underground at rush hour. And I am, by nature, one of life's eye-rubbers, so I realise that I'm a mascara manufacturer's nightmare all round. Any mascara that isn't waterproof will inevitably migrate to my under-eyes by the end of the day. But Precise Volume stays where I put it. No smudges, no flakes, no smears. I don't have to think about it until I take it off at night.

If I could wave my magic wand and change anything about it, I might make the formula slightly blacker, but truly, I'm very happy with it as it is: it gives good thickness, great length, holds a curl well, applies easily, doesn't smudge, lasts all day, washes off with cleanser--it ticks all my boxes. And as a bonus, the whole thing looks sleek and elegant, with a dark, cylindrical case that doesn't become grubby or worn after it's been handled (sometimes those little things do affect how you feel about a product, after all.) I've bought other macaras since I found Shu's Precise Volume, but none that I like anywhere near as much. It does exactly what I need it to, and never, ever fails me.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2012 11:22:00 AM More reviews by wwu114

Love this mascara. It's the only one so far that can hold a curl on my Asian lashes. A little hard to remove. Price is a little steep (220hkd).

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2012 12:01:00 PM More reviews by kpl30

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

This is my everyday (and night) mascara - i absolutely love it! I'm not a fan of the false eyelash effect, i prefer a more natural look and this is perfect. I use it with the shu uemura eyelash curler and it works wonders. I've always got compliments about how long my eyelashes look. Although i don't think it really volumises my eyelashes, it certainly makes them longer and once my eyelashes are curled, it lasts the whole day!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2011 7:45:00 PM More reviews by lemon_tree

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Black

This is a great mascara! It doesn't clump, glides on smoothly and is not sticky at all. It leaves my lashes looking thicker and more defined but still natural. Don't make my lashes look fake or weird. And you can layer on several coats if you want a more dramatic effect. And best of all, it's waterproof and doesn't smudge! Definitely worth the price I think.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/29/2011 2:03:00 PM More reviews by kpodaru

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've been searching for years - YEARS - for a mascara that didn't smudge, gave me length/volume and most of all, retains the curl in my lashes. Being asian, I have stick-straight lashes that requires some serious eye lash curling time and every mascara I've tried (and I've pretty much tried them all!) - even the ones that claim to curl your lashes - always straightened them out.

I stumbled upon this product while talking to a sales consultant and she recommended this for asian eye lashes (her exact statement was "it's a hit among asians"). Not only did it give me great volume and amazing length, but it actually keeps my eye lashes curled! Even after 8hrs, the curl remains, no flakes & no smudging. This is truly the only mascara that has actually lived up to everything I expected.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2011 3:37:00 PM More reviews by 245am

oh my god. oh my god! i think i just found something i like better than the mascara basic by shu AND it's cheaper! mascara basic has been my HG for about 4 years now and i rarely switch to another mascara because nothing holds the curl in my asian lashes. turns out my cousin uses the precise volume and really likes it so with my last order from shuuemura.com, i decided to get one precise volume and one mascara basic (gotta make that free shipping!).

what surprised me at first about the mascara was the brush. i was not expecting it to be a flat brush. my friend (who used to work for shu) explained you use it flat side down when you want to build volume and then sideways to comb thru and define and separate. it has a bit of a wetter consistency than the mascara basic (which can come off a bit dry) but it won't weigh the lashes down. i actually like the wetness better.

at $23 it's not going to break the bank and most importantly, IT HOLDS A CURL IN THESE ASIAN LASHES! that the first thing i look for in a mascara and this definitely does an excellent job at that. i tend to also layer other mascaras on top, as it won't give you that false eyelash look, but i may have to play around with it more and do a couple more layers with it on my lashes to get that effect. but it's great as a stand alone mascara and i will for sure be repurchasing this again. looks like my next order from shuuemura.com will consist of TWO precise volumes.....now to find something else for free shipping....

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2011 11:27:00 AM More reviews by joy2uandme

I should know better to take Paula Begoun's word on a mascara. Every time she loves one, I loathe the same product.

My problems with this mascara: goes on wet so it removes some of my curl(lashes are stick straight), flakes after several hours, causes lash fall out, makes lashes look crunched or crimped(very weird), hard to remove, had to order, limited colors(not looking for anything out there just a black/brown would be nice.)

Pros: Brush is slender but holds too much mascara but easy to wield, nice glossy black color, tube is sleek. Dries on lashes fairly fast.

Too bad I bought 2 of these when I ordered. If anyone wants to trade a new Clarins Double Fix for my other new tube, page me.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/12/2011 12:17:00 PM More reviews by jenncherie

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

My HG mascara. I've been using this for 3 years now. Never applies clumpy, holds curl on my straight Asian lashes, doesn't smudge. Though, I would say this is more lengthening than volumising. Really defines and separates the lashes. Excellent, excellent product. Doesn't dry out for ages either!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/24/2010 7:07:00 PM More reviews by MakeupLove88

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

It works. So that's good! Ha ha.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/23/2010 6:03:00 AM More reviews by na8i

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

This came very close to rival my eternal HG Kanebo/Sensai 38* mascaras. Precise Volume WP is truly waterproof, it keeps the curl (Kanebo doesn't) and compared to the lenghtening WP mascara from Shu I think this defines and refines lashes nicely, giving some volume at the base (the lenghtening one give crazy lenght, but lashes look "undone"). It removes easily with Shu cleansing oil. The first downside to this is that after a while the formula gets slightly more solid, so that the coating is a bit uneven. Also, by noon I have to wipe away black smudges from the corner of my eye. Close, but not close enough. I am impressed though, it's the first mascara in 6 years that had me reconsider Kanebo/Sensai.