July 24, 2014 | 1813 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Second Nature

• Price: $

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 5/15/2013 10:03:00 PM More reviews by LouiseHourihan

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I normally use Color Gloss (same brand), but the last 2 times I went to Sally's they were out of my color so I decided to use this instead. I did light ash brown like I normally do, knowing that these types of dyes usually end up 2 shades darker, and used Clairol Color Radiance developer like I do with my usual dye. I left it on for 10-12 min. as usual too, the bottle had very little in the way of instructions so i just did my normal routine. My hair turned out patchy colored: my usual golden brown in places, straight up PURPLE in other places, and a warm reddish brown (wtf, this is an ash shade?) in other places. I'm not sure if this just didn't apply evenly because it is so super thick or what, but it looks like crap. My hair also feels really dry and not happy. I am mad I wasted my money & damaged my hair for nothing.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/21/2012 10:25:00 PM More reviews by Ndbrim

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I dye my naturally medium brown hair mainly due to grays and to enhance the depth.
I have dyed my own hair and had it professionally done about 50/50. I have never experienced a bad result.
My current hair color choice was nice but turning brassy/ red on the ends after 4 weeks or so. After reading the great reviews of Clairol's Second Nature I decided to try it. I had to call around to a few beauty supplies to locate the color I wanted (medium golden brown), seems the line is being discontinued.
Let me skip ahead and say the end result color is fine. Looks good even.
It's not as shiny as I'd hoped and its a touch darker then the medium brown i was trying for, but that happens. I still see a variance in my ends, they are a touch lighter and redder then the rest. But I think it's mainly noticeable to me. My hair also doesn't feel nice. It feels dry.
The reason I didn't give this a better rating is because I had an unusual experience while applying this color. It turned green. Like after I mixed in the developer in the bottle, it started turning moss green within 5 minutes. On my head it was a dark olive green. I was terrified and shaking. I normally process my color 25 minutes but I washed this out after 15-18 minutes since it kept turning darker and GREENER.
Luckily my actual finished hair color does not have even a trace of green tint to it but I was scared to death for awhile there and I won't repurchase this brand ever again.
In fact I bought 2 bottles because my hair is really long. I did not need the second bottle and it will go back to the store ASAP!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/23/2012 7:02:00 PM More reviews by Ilse333

Due to my hair's regrettable pattern of turning brassy no matter what kind of high-brand color is used on it, I decided to try semi-permanent color in the hopes of not going down that road. So far this has fit the bill - it deposits good, natural-looking color that lasts about a month. Ideally I could just apply brown permanent color to my hair that lasts forever and doesn't damage my hair, but for now I'll take having to do repeat applications that keep my hair healthy and looking good.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/18/2012 10:51:00 PM More reviews by flutterby8i8

After a failed bleaching attempt by an overconfident niece (not me), my aunt was left with brassy banana yellow hair with level 5 roots and spots where the bleach did not sufficiently lighten the shaft. I used the instructions provided by Clairol's Pro site for fixing overly lightened hair using a tint back. I used 20vol developer with 2N to compensate for the extremely bleached out color, added 1/2 oz of 155R-Red to rebuild the pigment, and tinted the hair in 3 sections, ends, midshaft, and then roots. Total processing time was 30 minutes, 30 minutes for ends, 25 minutes for midshaft up to the demarcation line, and 10 minutes for the roots above the demarcation line. She ended up with almost perfectly even level 5 with some variation based on how bleached each section was. The color did fade due to the porosity of the hair, but after 2 months, she was somewhere between a level 6 and 7. A touch up with 10vol developer has corrected her hair once more. We will continue to do this until she has grown out the over-processed ends. It smells nice, gives great shine, and in my opinion lasts a long time and fades gently.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2012 11:21:00 PM More reviews by Astarael

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is probably the best color I have ever used.. I used both dark ash blonde and light ash brown, and I feel the ash tones in this line are stronger than any I've used so far in salon or myself. That beats Colorsilk, Wella, Preference, Natural Instincts etc. Let me tell you, I have resistant warmth so for the color to actually bring my color to the ash side rather than just neutralize it, well that's a first. The color is extremely gentle. However, they DO pull dark. A full two shades dark in my experience. Light ash brown turned dark ash brown, and after it faded a little bit (which it did slowly; these dyes have great staying power) it faded to a med ash brown at best. I couldn't give this 5 lippies because of that, but to be honest, I don't know if you can find an ash dye that doesn't do this.

Oh and one more thing: it adds amazing shine.

EDIT: Confirmed on Clairol's website, Second Nature is being discontinued. HUGE BUMMER. The one dye product that both corrected warmth properly and lasted. My other alternative is Redken Shades EQ which also corrects warmth well but doesn't last. Boooooo.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/2/2012 4:23:00 PM More reviews by simi531

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I thought I had already written a review for this! One of the best dyes on the market. I am quite familiar with hair dye and do quite a few of my friends hair (even though I am not a pro - I come from a family of hairdressers). This is a must to have at home to fix any type of hair disaster or to just use to get natural haircolor without much damage. I usually use 10 vol developer for demi permanent results. i like to mix a nuetral blonde shade with an ash. The ash definitely tones the red that I have (and hate) in my hair, and the nuetral helps to cover the gray. It will not lighten your hair so I usually do some heavy highlights through a cap and then use this to tone and cover those grays at the root. There is a lot of flexibility with his product. I usually just put some conditioner at the ends so that they dont soak up too much color and leave on my roots for 10 to 20 mins. Then add a little water and leave on the rest of my hair for only a few minutes. It keeps my hair a medium to light blonde and the grays get a nice highlighted effect. Also great to use for low lights when my hair gets over highlighted. You can pull some sections through a cap, or just brush on a dark or medium blonde and it adds great depth. Very natural results.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2012 11:39:00 PM More reviews by suzanneb

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Great great product, my level 6-7 hair loves to turn orange, yellow or both at the drop of a hat, so I decided to try this with 20 volume creme developer to make it permanent, I left it on for 10 minutes since this was my first time, it did a fantastic job at covering old highlights, funky bleach jobs and tacky blonde, it came out a beautiful color, I used 153D (light ash blonde) it comes out medium blonde with champagne highlights, ver pretty, multi-dimensional and it looks extremely natural (my natural color is level 4 ash) will use again when my hair turns color again but will leave it for 20 minutes.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/5/2012 10:56:00 PM More reviews by JenPhil1313

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Grey

This is great for fixing color mistakes/toning/tweaking color. I have used this to fix hot roots and have also used this to make toning conditioners to tweak my haircolor (once I got an ash color at a salon that looked a bit green and a toning conditioner made with Second Nature fixed that). When used with a ten volume developer, it seems to be super gentle and produces subtle, unharsh results. The next time I am due for a root touch up, I am thinking of just using this instead of being disappointed yet again at the salon.

UPDATE: Used this today for a full-on root touch up and refresher. And it came out spectacular. This is the first time- ever, ever, EVER- that I have not gotten hot roots when doing my hair at home. I used 1 oz of 10 volume developer and 1/2 oz of the medium ash browm (violet base) and 1/2 oz of light ash brown (blue-violet base). I touched up my roots and left it on for 20 minutes. Then added some conditioner to what was left of the mixture and distributed through my ends and left on for an additional 5 minutes. I then thoroughly rinsed the dye out, lighlty shampooed, used a ton of conditioner, rinsed, and then used Roux porosity control for about 1 minute. The results were even and natural looking from root to tip. It did come out just a teeney bit darker than I wanted. But I am willing to bet than after I wash it for the first time in 48hrs, it'll be great. And even though it's a deep medium brown, it still retains some shimmer of natural looking reddish/goldish tones. This also completely covered my grays (I am maybe 5% grays) and I wasn't even expecting that! If I can find a salon in my area that uses this brand of color, I may treat myself to getting it professionally done on occassion- as I do make a mess. Updated rating to 5 stars. Additionally, this is the first dye I have ever used that does not at all stain the skin- if you get it on your forehead or use it on your eyebrowns, it completely and totally washes off from the skin. No dyed-looking scalp for 2 days with this dye- it all rinses off. Plus it did not make my hair tangle up as I was washing it or leave it dry. Wow. :)
*UPDATE* - I can't get over how rich and lustrous the color looks. For such a dark shade, it does not look un-natural at all- it's almost as if each individual hair is a slightly different shade. So far, very happy and impressed.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2012 10:06:00 PM More reviews by elph

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My mother has been trying to get me to put in blonde highlights for years. My complexion is too warm to look good with the kind of frosted effect she has in mind, so I have resisted. Finally she decided to gift me with a visit to her hairdresser, in the apparent hopes that this would get me to see the platinum light. Luckily for me, her hairdresser thought I would look better with strawberry blonde highlights. Luckier still, she was right, and luckiest of all, my mother liked them too. But all good things must come to an end. My roots started showing, and this look was too high maintenance for me to be able to afford to keep up with. I needed to cover the obvious gray but I didn't want to cover over my highlights completely. I read that the Second Nature was no lift, creating a subtle change. This sounded ideal for my purposes, as I was hoping to mute the break between my roots and the highlights without totally obliterating the highlights. I picked the light red brown for that reason. The packaging is pretty easy to use. It's premeasured 2 ounces so all you need to do is mix with developer. The packaging indicates that volume 10 will give you long lasting results but 20 will give you near permanent results. I decided to err on the side of 10. The one thing it doesn't even hint at is how long to leave the product on your hair. I usually leave semi permanents on for 20 minutes so I went with that. The results were exactly as I'd hoped! My roots are no longer so obvious, but the hint of highlights still showing gives the overall color a lot of depth. This was perfect for what I wanted it for and if I find myself in a similar situation in the future I will definitely use it again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2012 1:48:00 PM More reviews by emily0212

This stuff is marketed as a tintback and it works really well for that purpose. I went a little overboard with some at-home highlights and needed to tone down the white, brass and yellow streaks, not to mention to cover the zebra stripes left from the holes in the cap!! (eeep!) This worked perfectly. I used the 7A Medium Ash Blonde shade and I loved it. Unfortunately, I'm mostly Italian and my dark brown eyes and eyebrows looked goofy (to me) with the pretty blonde so I went back to brown shortly afterwards. But if I ever decide to play with bleach again, I would definitely keep an emergency bottle of this stuff around just in case I need an emergency tintback. It really toned down the yellow and brass.

If you're wondering - 7A is a violet ash.