Essie Good to Go Rapid Dry + Shine Top Coat

4.2

Butyl Acetate, Ethyl Acetate, Cellulose Acetate Butyrate, Isopropyl Alcohol, Trimethyl Pentanyl Diisobutyrate, Adipic Acid/Neopentyl Glycol/Trimellitic Anhydride Copolymer, Benzophenone-1, Dimethicone, CI 60725/Violet 2 F.I.L. D44603/2

on 4/9/2015 7:18:00 PM

pros:
- doesn't destroy my nails.
- works fine for a quick clear coat on days where i'm too in a hurry to do anything.
- does appear to actually dry quickly, though slower than sally hansen's insta-dry and seche vite.
- hasn't murdered any of my family yet.

cons:
- i can ruin my own manicures for free, i don't need to spend $10 to do it.
- only slightly shinier than most polish without a topcoat.

made the mistake of banking on essie's reputation when the store was out of my usual topcoat and i needed something quick and reliable for a no-warning funeral. did my nails at 9 PM (opi's "passion" so we aren't talking cheap throwaway polish here) and by 7 the next morning they were already chipped and peeling. didn't have time to redo it before the service so i had to strip the whole thing and throw a clear coat on (which also chipped and peeled by the afternoon, but at least it's a quick touch-up).

since then i've tried to give it a fair and equal shot--maybe it was a fluke! maybe it just didn't like that polish!--and after 1/5 of the bottle and countless tries, i've yet to have a single successful, lasting manicure with it. every single one chips and flakes in under 24 hours, but usually in under 12. i've had dollar store offbrand top coats with better staying power than this $10 bottle of clear liquid sorrow.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

This is good as long as it lasts.

I am SO disappointed in this. When you first get it, it's amazing. It does dry very quickly, amazing shine, easy to apply, not too thick at all which i hate when topcats are and it does not create bubbles which is one of my biggest issues with nail polish.....

BUT!! I only had this for about A MONTH before it became thick, goopy, unmanageable and even like 10-12 (!) drops of OPI's nail polish thinner couldn't do the job very good. It did make it a little more thin, but it was still thick and just stressful to work with! Also, i am half way through the bottle in only a month as well. I am NOT satisfied with that.

For the longevity of this, the price is absolutely ridiculous. Paying so much for a topcoat i can only use in about a month is excuse me, shitty as hell.

I will repurchase because I do not have anything in mind to switch it out with now and I am pleased with how it works when i first get it - but I am still very disappointed and I am sad that i have to spend so much money on a topcoat you can't even finish before it gets almost impossible to work with - better luck next time, Essie! Boooo!

Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine

This stuff is great! I like to use it when I do nail stamping, and I am applying lots of different coats. It works super well - I ended up giving a bottle to my mom who tried it while visiting me, and also fell in love with it.

I use is mostly with other essie products, but I also have a few Sally Hansen, Nars and Dior polishes as well, and it has worked with all of them.

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I purchased this top coat in the summer but put off using it after the first few times of trying it as it was quite a bit slower to dry than Seche Vite or InstaDri. However as I started to really hate InstaDri's cracking issues on my nails and Seche Vite's shrinking, I lowered my standards and gave this top coat another shot and I ended up liking it a lot better. I feel like the shine is definitely here with this top coat, and I didn't get any shrinking, bubbling, or cracking. The wear time is also alright with this top coat, some polishes just didn't agree with this top coat, namely glitters, and chipped pretty quickly but it was mainly okay. The brush in this top coat is also thicker than Essie's normal polish brush, which is something I really appreciate as I hate Essie's regular brush and this brush makes the polish a lot easier to apply smoothly. The formula is also a decent consistency, on the thicker side, and it doesn't smudge nail art because of it.

The problem starts now, about four-five months after I started using it weekly. It's starting to shrink my polish really badly and I still have just a bit less than half a bottle left. For the nine dollars I paid, I don't want to stop using this when I still have half a bottle and it's leaving me disappointed. The formula itself is still pretty good, it's only thickened up a bit so the fact that it's shrinking my polish this badly is sad. Based on its performance from the first half I would probably give it a 4.5 but now it sits at a solid 3 for me.

on 11/21/2014 3:09:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool

Better than Seche Vite. I love that stuff but the goopy stuff at the end of the bottle drives me insane. Thinner doesn't even help after so long. Also it tends to shrink and do other things I hate. Essie doesn't do anything of those things. It's also cheaper and it looks great.

Only real difference between the two? Shine. It all comes down to Seche's shine factor. Essie can't quite get there in how shiny Seche is, but I don't care much because I would rather deal with no goopy bottle I have to toss because it can't be saved and not have manicures ruined by shrinkage.

on 10/31/2014 11:09:00 PM

Compared to Seche Vite:

Pros:
- hasn't become as gloopy, easier to apply and applies thinner
- brush is more accurate
- less peeling

Similar:
- high shine
- smooths out nail surface and a few mishaps during polish application

on 9/24/2014 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

Essie Good to Go is good to go in the trash. Bought it because I thought it would be compatible with 3-free and 5-free polishes. Not a chance.

I just ruined my last manicure due to shrinkage. I let the polish dry a bit before applying; I applied over new polish; no matter, shrinkage happens and ruins mylovely manicure.

I'm going back to Jessica Top Priority. the drying time wait will be worth it; besides, that's why I having drying drops anyway.

on 8/20/2014 1:53:00 AM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Not Sure

I'm not much for doing my nails (in fact, there's a guaranteed smudge every time) and this fixes it and dries it quickly so I can't mess it up again! Seriously idiot-proof. Wish I could post pictures.. I don't know if it's the best, but it's by far the closest I've found!

on 8/5/2014 11:21:00 AM

Pros: I put this on right after I am done my second coat, and it dries the polish almost immediately. Very quick to dry. Very shiny, and it feels light.

However, as a top coat this is a bad product. My nails chip within hours of applying it. Some even peel right off without me doing anything with it. I will NOT buy this product again, because while it helps dry my nails, it doesn't protect from chipping.

on 7/17/2014 11:18:00 PM

Pros:
Dries very quickly, probably one of the fastest you can get at the drugstore
Good brush

Cons:
Gets goopy halfway
Not really chip-proof
Price (subjective, I think that $8-9 is pretty steep)

Great when its new but gets goopy and unworkable with very quickly.

Top Rated Essie Products