November 23, 2014 | 2073 users online

Treatments (Face) - NARS - lightening cream

rated 5 of 5 on 7/8/2013 9:42:00 PM More reviews by Makeup_Obsessed

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this product and it really does even out minor skin discolourations. I can't believe that they have discontinued it, it was such a good quality product. I guess since Francois sold the company, it has become more about profit as the replacement skin care line seems to be targeting a cheaper range. Luckily I was able to purchase a few of these online to store from someone who carries discontinued stock.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/8/2009 10:00:00 PM More reviews by genahy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Well, I just started using this product so this will be a constantly updated review.

Basically, I am at my wit's end with hyperpigmentation and purchased this because I don't think there's another skin lightening product on MUA that's gotten 80% approval (except perhaps for lemons, which gave me uneven lightening, though that's healing SLOWLY).

So, my initial thoughts: The product smells amazing, like pinkberry yogurt, and is a pretty shade of pink (though it looks white on the skin). Opening it is a bit difficult as it's a box shaped jar and you have to swivel open the dispenser in an unwieldy manner. The moisturizer is thick and greasy though supposedly it's not gonna break you out. I got a very tiny, non-bothersome bump on my cheek, but I can't attribute it to this specifically. (I have rosacea, and you know how many bumps we rosacea people get.) I don't care for the texture though. It's greasy and doesn't feel like it blends in.

Alright, enough about all that. What about results?

Well, the first few days, I wasn't really all that impressed, seeing almost no change. However, today (day 5) I dare to say I think it might be working. I see lightening. Not very dramatic, but it's there. This doesn't bleach your skin in a fake or unsafe way. It's more about exfoliation, I believe. No dryness yet, but I'm only spot treating with it.

One huge downside: the price. Few other lighteners are $100. For that price, it really better work or back to sephora it goes.

UPDATE: Week 2

This might have caused a small bump or two--more like rosacea than an actual pimple. Nothing serious and nothing to make me stop using it. However, I really don't think this is working well or at all. The lightening I saw last week was just me imagining it, I think. If there's any change it's very subtle, and certainly not worth spending $50 for, much less $100. Really can't wait to return this to Sephora and really surprised, after all the good reviews here. I'm using this for the 40 days, but not anticipating anything dramatic happening. Just don't want to stop using it if there's even a chance in hell it works by the 40th day. And I will update at week 3 and 4. Right now, I'm taking off a lippie.

UPDATE: Week 3 (Final week)

Well, I have given up on this product. My feeling is that by three weeks I should see some good improvement, and that just didn't happen here. Maybe there was a slight bit of lightening on one mark, but I cannot say that w/ 100% confidence. It just seemed to be too slow and subtle a lightening cream for my taste, especially considering the price. And there were so many other things I didn't like about it, like the greasy texture and the fact that it never blended in well. So it went back to Sephora. Onward + upward. Save your money, kids. I'm leaving rating as two lippies because the smell is REALLY nice.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/15/2009 10:13:00 PM More reviews by Sicely24

I use this cream after I was my face at night. Some creams just sits on the surface of my skin and doesn't asorb, but with this cream my face just drinks it up and makes my face moist and comfortable, like it's just right. After four days of using this cream I noticed that my complexion is more evened, dark patches and ance scars seemed to have melted away! Love it!

rated 3 of 5 on 11/8/2008 1:03:00 AM More reviews by SidB

I splurged and bought this because of all the great reviews on MUA. It's a nice moisturizer, nothing more. I have noticed no improvements. Just goes to show some things work for some people but not for others!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/21/2008 3:24:00 PM More reviews by MiuMiuLvoe

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I love this cream. i've used it for last three nights and I already see more brightened and 'alive' look in the morning compared to before.
it's quite expensive but not too bad compared to other high end brand cosmetics and i think the amount you get is decent. LOVE the packaging but of course the product's function is more important. it's just a win win situation i think with the outside looking so sleek and pretty like you want to use the cream every night (feeling pampered when doing so) and then the cream itself delivering results. great product! will give other nars skincare line a try!!!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/20/2008 4:50:00 AM More reviews by MilesDevin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I love this moisturizing whitening treatment. It really works for me. I've used it for about 6 months off and on, and my skin is noticeably more even and soft. It is expensive, but it is a very high quality product. Will definitely repurchase when and if I ever run out. There is a lot in there!

Also, very pretty packaging that looks lovely in my bathroom!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2008 12:30:00 AM More reviews by dukiegirl3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I love this stuff. I have acne scars on my cheeks and it has definitely lightened them. It doesn't make me break out either although it is not oil free. I think it is pricey but my cousin gave it to me. Big jar- lasts forever.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2008 2:43:00 PM More reviews by alba75

The product in question is an effective skin lightening treatment. My skin tone has become more even and visibly lighter after week and a half . Although this treatment is expensive, I shall definitely buy it again.
Update (07/24/08).
I have been using this cream for 7 months. Although the treatment is effective, I have to say that small dry scaly patches have appeared around the mouth and temple areas.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/29/2007 3:16:00 AM More reviews by jamichelle215

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

WOW! I cannot say enough great things about this lotion! After some fairly extensive research on lightening creams (including on MUA), I decided to purchase the NARS lightening cream for a number of reasons. First, I was interested in trying something from the NARS skincare line, as I have always been a fan of their makeup but have always sort of overlooked their other product lines. Knowing that Shu Uemura has had a great deal of success with both their skincare and makeup lines, I decided to see if NARS lived up to Shu Uemura in that respect. I was also intrigued by their minimalist packaging and the relatively low price (compared the the La Mer that I use on a nightly basis, which actually isn't all that expensive if you consider that a 2 oz. jar easily lasts a year if only used once daily). After taking all of this into consideration, I ordered the lotion from Sephora, and I could not be more pleased with my purchase. First of all, I would like to say that if the price seems a little intimidating at first, forget that, because the residue left in the lid lasted me over a week. I have a feeling that this lotion will last much longer than the 40-day cycle suggested by NARS. I love love love the packaging, which looks great in my all-white bathroom and actually holds way more lotion than I expected to receive (I am not so good with measurements of any sort). The lotion itself is a beige-y/nude color and has a great creamy texture that just melts into your skin. I don't have any issues with the lotion leaving my face white after applying it, but I guess I might just be really pale. Most importantly, this lotion does exactly what it promises to: smooths and lightens the skin. I have only been using it for about 3 weeks, and I can already notice a HUGE difference in both the texture of my skin and the evenness of my skin tone. I bought the lotion primarily to erase some pretty nasty PIH (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) due to a period of about 4 months of really broken out skin. My PIH has so faded that with just a tiny bit of Chantecaille light coverage powder, it is invisible. I don't even have to use concealer! I fully expect all of my discoloration to be gone within the next month. I have really (REALLY) oily/sensitve skin, and this lotion, although it felt like it would be a little too greasy for me at first, completely dissolves into the skin after about 5 minutes following application, and leaves my face feeling super-soft and hydrated (a first for me with any lotion). I think it has even helped clear out my pores, as I haven't had to use an extractor at all since I started using it. Overall, this is really just a perfect product, and you should look no further if you are in the market for a skin lightener that actually works.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2007 12:29:00 PM More reviews by surfsup

I like this product... I recieved the full size as a gift at Saks one day. I used Pevonia's spot lightener underneath, wait a few minutes, then apply this product. My skin is recharged by this, active scars heal super fast (faster than with Pevonia alone) and older blemishes fade away. I am waiting on the full results, but I do highly recommend this for sensitive, combo-skin.