November 22, 2014 | 1723 users online

Foundations - Dermablend - Smooth Indulgence long lasting matte finish

rated 4 of 5 on 9/14/2014 4:40:00 PM More reviews by beeteaches

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

My review is for the Smooth Indulgence Concealer With SPF 20 =) I also uploaded this review on the Smooth Indulgence Concealer link not knowing which one had the SPF in it

A little bit about my skin:
- occasionally dry in the areas of concealer application
- pores prone to clogging depending on product used
- hyper-pigmented & hypo-pigmented in specific areas of my face
- VERY sensitive skin (i.e. rashes/itchiness) with certain products & chemicals
- cystic acne sufferer ranging from none to moderate with the blink of an eye =(
- body has issues naturally exfoliating dead skin cells making it very difficult to select and experiment with different products since I am already prone to clogging...hence, cysts
- certain SPF causes my cystic acne to return

Ok, on to my review of this product. I have never been one to use foundation or concealer all over my face because I hate the feeling of a mask or the chance I may transfer color if I just barely touch my face. I actually went to Ulta in hopes of purchasing the foundation, but I tried this instead because it looked like I would get a little better coverage for my uneven skin tone I mentioned above. I use this concealer on my cheeks and my chin using a small concealer brush AFTER my moisturizer and it blends nicely using the brush. The trick to getting even blending using this product is that your skin must be moisturized or this concealer will be tacky and somewhat gummy giving you an uneven texture and poor coverage. This little tube of concealer is highly pigmented and thick when coming out of the tube, however when used to cover my cheeks and chin, it spreads nicely and fluidly if you move quickly with a nice light feeling but moderate to full coverage. I have somewhat fair skin, cool undertones, and redness that are covered flawlessly using this concealer, & I HATE a matte finish because I don't use foundation all over my face. If you don't moisturize prior to using this product and use it like I do only in certain spots, there will be a terrible difference because it will dry matte. Since I do moisturize, my face has an all over dewy, healthy appearance even in the areas I have applied the product.
This concealer lasts most of the day and will even stay on if going swimming (yes, I tried it!), but of course it doesn't look like perfection if you do go swimming and don't touch up afterwards. I will say it can be a little more on the tan/orange side for us fair/cool toned girls, but for the summer I felt it worked with the little bit of golden enhanced skin tone from the summer sun =) As for the SPF in this product, I was skeptical about purchasing this item because my skin doesn't respond well to SPF and my skin surely lets me know it!!! I will flare up with cysts under the skin with certain products containing SPF as well as little white heads on my chin. This product does a good job at staying on top of the skin rather than soaking in to it, which must be due to the silicone like properties in it, and it didn't irritate my sensitive skin or exacerbate any underlying acne or cysts for me.
Overall, I think this product gives decent, natural coverage when applied correctly with lasting durability that requires a good cleansing to remove. I'd say two passes of product if you need more coverage is the most one should do because using any more than that just looks like too much product. In my opinion, a little dab of loose powder on a blemish should do the trick rather than slathering on another coat of this concealer. Just remember to moisturize first before working with this product and blend quickly. Good luck and always feel beautiful!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2014 4:59:00 PM More reviews by Kathy123

Age: 44-55 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used to use the Vichy version of this and I liked it. It was a little thick so I started using other foundations. If you are a foundation junkie like me, you know that we have not found the perfect foundations so we continue searching. I did a full blown research on this but could not find it anywhere close to me. Months later, when I was wondering around Macy's, I saw these and got so excited. I like the fact that this is not as thick as Vichy version. It says on the box that it gives medium coverage and honestly, my skin is not as bad as covering it with a mask. The shades are darker than expected. I am usually medium in different brands but in this one, I am in light category. I am NC30 but not as yellow and I use Sand Beige in this brand. I am pretty happy with this product. I think the best thing about this is that it lasts on my very oily skin.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/5/2014 2:02:00 PM More reviews by ginaxav

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use a lot of Dermablend products, and a LOT of other foundations in general (check my other reviews). For color reference I wear NC20 in Mac, 4 in Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk, Fresco in Estee Lauder Double Wear, Fairly Medium in Bare Minerals, Warm Ivory in Dermablend Cover Cream, Porcelain in Hourglass Immaculate, 2.5 in Touche Eclat Pen, BR20 in Touche Eclat foundation, and Nude Beige in this foundation (Dermablend Smooth Indulgence).

I do like the Dermablend Cover Cream, but I find that if overall I'm having a good skin day (which for me is light undereye circles and only 1-3 zits, with minimal uneven-ness on my cheeks) Cover Cream is just a bit too much coverage for me. If you have bad skin or scars though I'd 100% recommend Cover Cream.

Ok good skin days. I use Dermablend Redness Reducing Concealer (it's green) and pat it onto all my red spots/zits. I do NOT blend it in yet. I then take Giorgio Armani Master Corrector in #2 (Orange) and swipe it under my eyes. I blend that with my pinky finger and while it's drying I take whatever foundation I am using (in this case, Dermablend Smooth Indulgence) and dab that all over my face, avoiding green and orange spots for the moment. I then take a damp Beauty Blender and using the fat end I bounce it all over my face and it seamlessly blends everything together.

The look I get with Smooth Indulgence foundation is mostly flawless but not completely, in a natural way. It is not as dewy as Luminious Silk, but dewier than Estee Lauder Double Wear. It's more natural looking than Mac or Cover Cream. Both Hourglass and Touche Eclat foundations made my skin look very dry and flaky (which my skin is not) but this does not emphasize any dry patches. Over a primer (hourglass) and under a spray/powder (UD All Nighter, Guerlain Meteroites or Hourglass Ambient Light) it lasts roughly 6 hours in the South Texas heat & humidity, so not bad, but not the best either.

I do think it's priced well, but the packaging is meh. However if they keep costs down by not using a fancy pretty package, that's fine, it's more about the product anyway. A little bit of this stuff goes a long way.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/1/2014 1:16:00 AM More reviews by Makeupaddictt

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Brown

I ABSOLUTELY CANNOT STRESS HOW AMAZING THIS PRODUCT IS! IT IS MY GO-TO HOLY GRAIL FOUNDATION! I have tried a range of foundations and concealers, yet most have failed to cover all my acne scars and blemishes. I would suggest this foundation over its concealers and full cover cream. This will not come off as cakey if applied by dabbing motion in areas of cover up. I recommend applying foundation first then dabbing on this foundation as a concealer. It works amazingly well at covering up everything and lasts all day - if you count it as 9am - 5pm. The price is about the range of a high-end make up brand, however it is worth the investment in regards to what it can do and the benefits from it. I have no broken out from this and i feel as though it is also making my present acne get better as well. I will definitely be repurchasing this when i run out! It is amazing and i recommend this to all who has acne-prone and combination skin. I use the colour "sand beige" by the way!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/29/2014 2:17:00 AM More reviews by shilohcalista

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a great medium to full coverage foundation if and this is a big if--you can find a match for your skin in their very limited color range. The colors are highly pigmented and will look awful if you apply too much but very little is needed so its a great value. I do use their concealer which I love because it covers everything and it does not highlight fine lines and wrinkles to the extent that many other concealers do. This product could be used as a concealer if you don't need maximum coverage. The claims of will not settle into fine lines and wrinkles is fairly true---it appears to blur them a bit which I like particularly if you moisturize with something with hyaluronic acid in it before application.

I cannot use this product in the summer as successfully because it just doesn't last as long and the older I get I am gearing towards foundations that don't require serious powder which this one does to set and stay put.

I still have Dermablend products in my arsenal because its one of a handul of foundations and concealers that does not irritate my sensitive skin. Another positive for this product is in comparison to other medium to high coverage foundations this one feels very light on the skin probably in part because you need so incredibly little of the product.

If you have major things to cover I recommend the concealer along with the foundation. I slightly like the concealer better than the foundation because the color is better for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/5/2014 11:55:00 AM More reviews by AwkwardPenguin

Age: Unknown Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

This stuff is amazing. The ultimate full coverage foundation. Your skin must be moisturized and primed bc it's easy to screw it up and look like a cakey mess. I use this as a concealer all the time, it covers anything and doesn't budge. As a foundation I only use it at night (i don't care for matte finishes during the day) when my skin acting up or if i want to look extra flawless, I wouldn't say it's a daily foundation though. I believe it's around $27 and lasts forever. The packaging is perfect. I'm on my 2nd tube, about to run out and will need to repurchase, for me this is something I always need to have in my stash.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 11:53:00 PM More reviews by LizzyBerry

Shocked to see so many bad reviews?! And this picture looks like it's from the 80s, totally needs updated.

The sales associate at Ulta who helped me with this said they recently re-formulated some of their foundations and she likes them a lot more now so maybe that's what was causing negative remarks?

Anyway... I adore this stuff! When I was on tretinoin it's the absolute only foundation that works on acne and intense peeling skin. You seriously look flawless after you put it on, this will cover anything. Not too oily and not dying either. It also never feels heavy on my face, which I'm shocked about because every single liquid foundation I've tried on feels cakey and heavy on me. This never does though! Make sure you use a good foundation brush though, I tried putting it on with my fingers one day and I think I just suck at that technique but it didn't look as nice. I really like that you don't need any concealer with this too.

After about 4 hours though I do notice it doesn't look as great as it did when I first put it on, but that's just normal because I have oily skin and no foundation will stay on my face for that long without needing touched up. Make sure you set it with a setting powder too. I know it's a bit expensive ($34 at Ulta) so some people may not feel like spending that much BUT I don't use it every day. Days where I'm bumming around or just running errands alone I use my cheaper compact CoverGirl foundation (it's between a liquid and a powder) which I've used for years. I feel like everyone should have a couple different foundations to use on different days anyway.

Edit: I just realized the old picture someone had up here of it is NOT the right one. That 80s looking one is from Vichy's brand of dermablend foundations found at CVS. It's crappy and always gets bad reviews, the Dermablend I'm talking about is the one Ulta carries. I really wonder now if people are getting them confused and that's why this foundation is ranked so horribly. I updated a picture of the real Dermablend I'm using now.

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/25/2014 10:04:00 PM More reviews by Lexieloveee

Perfect for acne!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 1/3/2014 8:01:00 PM More reviews by hondurena89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

First off...i want my 34 dollara back. Secondly this foudation is meant for tattoos and scars etc...i dont know what i was thinking back when i brought this. For one, foundation are not meant to be full coverage. (That what concealer is for) foundation is meant to even out skin tone. This foudation will give you a absolute dead, dry, cakey old lady look. Jeez..this stuff is heaaaavvvyyyyy.heavy! So hard to blend. Looks ashy. Toooo matte (yikes) gets super oily. Blocks pores. Its like taking paste and dreanching your face in it. If you like that heavy stage makeup or corpus makeup then go for it:) go right ahead. Me on the other hand i like looking my age.or even better look younger. And 30 dollars for this???? Not worth it.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/8/2013 3:25:00 PM More reviews by BeckyR

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

After I had a disastrous experience with MAC Prolongwear (which left me with the WORST flare up of acne I've ever had), I needed something that was going to cover all of my new blemishes. My drugstore foundation wasn't cutting it, but I was hesitant to try a new product, not wanting to risk making my acne even worse. I did some extensive research online where I found out about the Dermablend line. It’s marketed as specifically for people with skin issues. It boasts to be the "number 1 dermatologist recommended camouflage brand". After getting shade matched and successfully testing out some samples without breaking out even more, I decided to pick up a tube in Sand Beige (I’m an NC25 for reference).
Pros:
*Coverage-all of my red, irritated skin was completely erased. I'd say medium, but buildable to full
* Blendable- this foundation takes a while to set, so you have time to blend it in
*Gentle- this didn't irritate my skin or make my break out worse at all
* Scentless
* Availability- I picked mine up at my local Ulta
Cons:
* Transfers- Even with a setting powder and primer, this foundation transfers very easily
* Does nothing to control my shine even with a matte primer, setting powder, and setting spray
* Clings to dry areas
* Limited shades- only 11 available so it might be difficult to find a match. I'm midway between Sand Beige and Nude Beige (the next shade up)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No