July 23, 2014 | 1215 users online

Eye Shadow - Chanel - Variations Quad

rated 1 of 5 on 11/16/2013 1:13:00 AM More reviews by jsocali

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I know, I hate writing bad reviews, but I feel like I have to be honest about this quad. I have a lot of Chanel eyeshadow quads and this is the only quad I want to say did not suit my skintone. I'm normally an N20 in Chanel foundations, have medium-yellow undertones for reference. For some reason, this particular quad didn't have much color payoff even using my MAC Ocre or Painterly as primers. I'm not a makeup pro, but this quad just looked meh on me. It's going back. For the price, it's got to look nice :)

I love Chanel makeup, but unfortunately this quad and I don't have any chemistry (no pun intended :).

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2012 2:53:00 PM More reviews by ChristyR143

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

My all-time favorite eyeshadow. This was my first very high end cosmetic purchase and the eyeshadow that I have come back to time and time again over the years. Sadly, it was discontinued some time back and I was absolutely heartbroken to find out. Why on Earth Chanel would discontinue this is beyond me. The rep I spoke with said that when a product has been in the line for a certain amount of time, they will discontinue it to make room for new things, which saddens me, and really deters me from wanting to fall in love with anything by Chanel again. I mean, what's next, their Nude lipliner? Anyway...back to the eyeshadow. I made it my mission to find suitable dupes for the 3 shadows l used most in this quad (I never use the mid-toned peach shade that is in the bottom right hand corner so I didn't bother with finding a dupe for that one) and thought I would list them here, in case someone else was looking as well. They are all from MAC: Folie, Sable, and Hush. These shadows create pretty much the exact same effect on me as the Variations quad, and it comes out cheaper since I'm not paying for the fourth shadow that I never use anyway, so I'm happy! I hope this helped someone else out there!

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2010 4:09:00 PM More reviews by chiggy5

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Brown

Oh, that lower left color is so gorgeous but not on my skin tone, Darn it!. As with Chanel e/s quads I love the packageing, the e/s smoothness and generally their colors, but not this one for me. Maybe someone with a light-meduim skin color since I'm fair...do'nt know but a couple came off goldy/orangey...beautiful colors just not on me :(

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/10/2010 1:53:00 PM More reviews by mecepeda

I am a recent convert to Chanel cosmetics (besides a lipstick or two in the past), and I have been looking for this particular quad for a while. Luckily, I found one in Saks a few days ago, and today I sat down to play with my new toy for a while (nothing like trying out new makeup!)

My reaction, in short: this is the quad that I would take with me to a desert island, were I only allowed to choose one. No exaggeration: this is the best eyeshadow quad that I have ever owned. The texture is amazing: the shadows are very finely milled, silky, and blend together effortlessly. Perhap the closet comparison in terms of texture would be MAC's cult classic Starflash eyeshadows, but these are even more velvety than those, and the Chanel color palette is certainly less trendy. (Though I would argue that any devoted makeup collector should have at least a little of each in her/his collection).

The colors in Variations, which run the gamut from a pale peach to a dark chocolate brown, are of moderate to significant pigmentation, and are extremely flattering on my blue eyes. (That said, I can see this quad working well for evening or day, depending upon the application, and with virtually all skin tones and eye colors). Whether you apply one shade or all four simultaneously, it is foolproof. However, if you are not a fan of shimmer, then this may not be the quad for you - but don't expect a disco-ball look - rather, this is the type of shimmer that Chanel does best: sophisticated, and appropriate for all ages.

I applied the shadows first with a dry brush, and while they were silky with good color pay-off and a pleasure to apply, there was unfortunately a good amount of fall-out. (I easily whisked off of my face with a fan brush). I then tried moistening my makeup brush with a bit of MAC Fix+ and that did the trick: the colors applied perfectly, pigmentation was excellent, and the fall-out issue was eliminated.

All of the colors benefit from foiling like this except for the darkest shade in the quad (Mousse - a chocolate brown), unless you are going for a much more dramatic evening look or would like to use Mousse as an eyeliner. Another plus about these shadows is that despite the fact that they were all moistened during application, their texture in the pan not affected in the least, unlike many shadows, which tend to a develop an odd layer that makes them very difficult to apply again dry once they have been foiled. I wore the shadows all day yesterday through 90+ degree heat and very high humidity, and they did not budge a bit, nor did they change color. I found no need to reapply. (I should also mention that I applied the shadows over a little bit of Too Faced Shadow Insurance, and that my eyelids are on the oily side).

The Chanel packaging, as usual, is wonderful: sleek, elegant, with an extra-wide mirror, and perfectly sized for portability. My only complain (and it's one you hear often from Chanel lovers) is the ridiculous little set of sponge applicators that they include in each quad. These strike me as a rather cheap addition to such an otherwise superb product - after all, won't most consumers willing to pay $56 US for a set of eyeshadows also have invested in a decent brush or two to apply them, as opposed to replying on this type of applicator? I say ditch the sponges in favor of a decent little brush for application of the road, or eliminate the brush entirely and make the shadows themselves a bit larger.

Will I be purchasing again? Since this was a LE product, I will try my very best to hunt another one down immediately, since I certainly see myself hitting pan on this item. Just like the Rouge Coco line obligated me to re-think lipstick, the quality of the Chanel quads (I only own three at the moment: Kaska Beige, Enigma, and Variations) has led me to re-think eyeshadow. Quality trumps quantity now.

As for the price tag (currently $56 US), I recognize that this is a significant cosmetics purchase. However, if you consider the fact that four MAC single shadows will cost you $58 US - and that the Variations quad in particular is of higher quality - then suddenly the price doesn't seem so ridiculous.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2010 10:04:00 AM More reviews by Kate230689

Hey guys, i have just one question.I'm from germany and a friend from the U.S. wanted to buy "variations" from Chanel as a gift for me. But for a few days, i can't find it on the chanel homepage anymore. Have they taken it out of assortment ? But i couldn't find any article in which i could read they would take it from the market... or is it just a mistake and you can still buy it normally in shops?
Anyway, the other quadra eye palettes i got from Chanel are gourgeous !
Looking forward to your answers!

rated 5 of 5 on 4/26/2010 11:57:00 PM More reviews by angelcake910

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

It's expensive . . . but it's worth it :) The colors are natural, elegant, and very feminine. My favorite is the bottom right peach color. So hard to find the replacement for this one! So now I'm spoiled by this eye shadow I cannot use other ones . . . but the good thing is this product lasts forever!
I'm in love with it. ^o^

rated 5 of 5 on 3/28/2010 10:03:00 PM More reviews by Dahlia11

I just got this quad yesterday and I am absolutely in love!
Pros:
-The colors are amazingly soft and pigmented. They aren't as pigmented as MAC, but they are buildable and therefore easily go from sheer to bold. They blend like a dream. If you use the sponges to apply, you will not feel how great the shadows are! I use an ST crease brush.
-I can do an amazing neutral eye look. It just looks beautiful when applied, and almost impossible to mess it up. They have a great sheen to them.
-The compact is cute classic Chanel. It has a wide mirror and even comes with the nice velvet pouch.
Cons:
-The price is high. I hate it. But the shadows are honestly worth it, and I would repurchase.
-It can be messy. The outer casing collects fingerprint marks easily, and because the shadows are soft, powder can get over the inside.
-There is little variety in the shadows and the looks you can do with them. This isn't a versatile palette. I didn't purchase it hoping for versatiliy, I purchased it for neutral looks, so I'm not taking any lippies off of it, but anyone interested should be aware of it.

I love this palette and don't have any regret it spending so much for it. I thought I would, and yes there are probably dupes for the colors, but there is no dupe for the quality. It's definitely a must have!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2010 11:25:00 PM More reviews by SourireSorriso

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

I adore this quad. This single-handedly converted me from someone who travels with excessive amounts of makeup to being able to pack the tiniest bag with ease and probably look better than when I had the whole kit with me. The colors are perfect for my blue-grey eyes, and I love that I can take it from day to night with a bit more liner or use of the shadows wet. Gorgeous look to the shadows and perfect buttery texture. It's always painful at the counter to pay for Chanel products, but I have never been disappointed or regretted a purchase. Worth the money for sure.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/12/2010 7:18:00 PM More reviews by martiangurll

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

First of all, if you have never tried Chanel products, this is a great quad to try them because these colors are just so versatile and flattering. All of the colors coordinate well and can be used together or layered. If you are familiar with Chanel, you can skip this part, because you already know how finely milled these shadows are and how the consistency is like butter. They are so silky, go on so smoothely, and blend so easily. The pigmentation is only medium, not super pigemented like Urban Decay or some of the MAC shadows, so you may have to layer or build to the intensity you want, but you can sheer them out and they are easy to layer. Unlike Dior, which I also really like, the consistency in the finish is very uniform, they are all quite silky and buttery.

The quad colors are Mousse (a deep brown leaning a little warm or rusty matte finish); Almond (golden toned beige shimmery) Toast (bronzed, warm brown shimmery )& Caramel (slightly peachy golden/toffee, also shimmery).

This makes a great chocolate brown eye. My eyes (greyed blue) really pop with these colors, esp, the Mousse. The finish is shimmery except for the Mousse which is matte and more pigmented, makes a great liner by the way--applied wet. Not glittery or metallic at all.

Very useable quad. and I would buy again because it is so beautiful, the colors are so well coordinated and the quality of these shadows is so fine/ (LIKE BUTTAH!) I shouldn't complain, I just wish they were a little less expensive so I could afford all of the quads. But they are worth the money. (Like buttah!)

rated 5 of 5 on 11/15/2009 2:48:00 PM More reviews by kattg425

After applying this eye shadow I wanted to buy all the other eye shadow quads Chanel has to offer. The shadows are just so great to blend with. The effect that it gives on your eye just stands out it has different types of shadows like matte, satin, and frost. And it lasts all day and doesn't crease. I just love this quad especially for the fall. I was previously using Lancome quads which were too powdery and creased a lot.