August 27, 2014 | 550 users online

Hair - Wen by Chaz Dean - Sweet Almond Mint Cleansing Conditioner

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2014 7:47:00 PM More reviews by katwalker

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Ugh! Okay, folks, don't rate WEN low because the distributor of the product keeps sending you WEN! Here's the deal: there are three ways to get WEN: 1) Chaz Dean's personal salon website (or walk into his salon in Beverly Hills). This is safe. Anything you buy is a one time shipment. 2) QVC. This is safe. Anything you buy is a one time shipment (unless clearly specified as a three month shipment, etc.). 3) Sephora. This is safe. 4) Gunther-Renky (sp?). They are NOT safe. They are the people doing the infomercials you see on tv. Unbeknownst to most people, you are joining a "club" with authomatic monthly shipments that are very expensive. It is very hard to get them to discontinue your membership. Be very careful.

Anyway, I use WEN and do like it. I only buy from QVC. It is very expensive. The key is finding the right formula for your hair, using enough product to properly cleanse your hair, and making sure you rinse it all out.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/24/2014 11:02:00 PM More reviews by KittyBaditty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I definitely urge people to do their research before falling for the hype! I have been using this for 3 weeks now, and I am pretty sure it's a waste of money :( My hair feels nice and fluffy and clean on day 1, but the flyaways are horrendous. It looks like all my hairs are breaking off... Not sure if that's the case? I have mid-back length, fine hair and a lot of it, and after a day it looks oily and in need of a wash again, with a waxy feel. Brushing is difficult after the 1st day and I don't think this conditions my mid lengths and ends as well as it claims. There is no shine to my hair using this vs normal conditioner, and I noticed this morning that my scalp is a bit flaky. Overall, considering the price and how much of the product you are meant to use each time, there is no way this would last me a month, and I won't be repurchasing. Smells good though :)

rated 2 of 5 on 8/3/2014 5:31:00 PM More reviews by akPhilly

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I was really excited to try this, & liked it when I very first got it-just like the commercial said, after just one use my hair looked different. My friends even noticed & my boyfriend did as well, my hair seemed shinier, & was bouncy & soft. After a couple days though, there was some issues. I have oily hair as it is, as well as issues with my scalp-not all scalp issues are due to dry scalp, actually many people have issues because their scalp is over oily. I'm one of those people. So anyway, after maybe about 3 days of using it, I noticed that my scalp was not only very itchy, but also my hair despite appearing clean smelled dirty-like for me when my hair is dirty I get this oily odor. What was happening was it just wasn't getting rid enough excess oil, which I know is the whole point of it, but in my case it just makes my scalp even worse. It also didn't seem to be doing anything to really slough off any of the dead skin already on my scalp, which caused it to build up & itch. I know Wen comes in different varieties now & am curious as to if any of them would work better for my type of hair & scalp, but it's kind of expensive for me to give it another try, plus there's so many different varieties now I wouldn't even know where to begin (I know the commercial says you can send it back, but often times it's not as easy as they make it out to be). I think this is probably a good product for some, but it just wasn't right for me, at least not the original one (or sweet almond mint).

rated 1 of 5 on 7/25/2014 12:15:00 PM More reviews by SummerDay89

If something supposedly does two things, it probably does them both very poorly. Made my hair greasy and dandruff everyday - how is that attractive? Plus, spending 45 minutes in the shower is a waste of time, money and water. Read countless reviews on how after time this will clog your hair follicles causing hair loss. If you are not getting rid of dead skin by cleansing your hair, then this will occur. Finally, I had fried my hair by going blonde, and you know what helped: trimming off the ends every month or so, not styling, going back to brunette, and leave-in treatments (I.e. Moroccan oil, etc.).

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2014 7:24:00 PM More reviews by Sara23

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Overall, I'm really happy with Wen and its become my go to shampoo/conditioner. For reference, I have long, fine hair with a slight wave and my scalp is prone to dermatitis.

Things I like:
- Every other shampoo or conditioner I've tried, salon brand or otherwise, has left me needing to wash my hair every 1-2 days so my scalp doesn't itch and bleed and my hair doesn't look a mess. With Wen, I can go for 4-5 days between washes by brushing my hair and adding a little gloss to the ends.
- My scalp is the best its ever been and people have commented on how nice my hair looks.
- The smell is lovely.
- The price is steep, but I found I need nothing like what the package tells me to use. I have layered waist length fine hair, and a lot of it. I use 1-2 pumps to shampoo, 2-3 pumps for a second shampoo massage worked through to the ends, then 1 small pump for a leave in conditioner.
- I didn't have any bother at all cancelling my membership and ordering products individually off the website as needed.

What I don't like:
- I am getting a few scalp pimples.
- My hair does look slightly nicer when my hairdresser washes it with salon volumising shampoo and conditioner.

So in summary, there are a few negatives with Wen, but given its completely cleared my scalp problems up and leaves my hair looking very nice, its definitely become my HG shampoo/conditioner. In my case the positives outweigh the negatives.

PS - As for styling with the Wen conditioner left in, I find blow drying gives my hair a very, very straight effect. Its nice enough, but my favourite effect with Wen is obtained by chucking damp hair in a sock bun and having sock bun hair day one, then curly/wavy hair day two, then sleeping with my hair in a loose bun days three plus to preserve a curl/wave.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2014 12:15:00 PM More reviews by jocox88

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

OK, I know I have reviewed this before, but I am a total Wen fan. I order the gallons when QVC runs them once a year -- you get two shipments per year -- $177/gallon. I realize this seems very expensive, but as I told my husband, I cut my own hair and I don't color so look at all the money I save there! I do as Chas recommends -- one shampoo to cleanse and a second to be left on while completing your shower and to condition. I only trim my (beyond shoulder) hair about twice a year and I NEVER see a split end. I also only blow dry during the winter months as I can't stand a hot dryer at any other time. I have very fine hair that's not very thick and this leaves my hair absolutely beautiful!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 7/3/2014 12:00:00 PM More reviews by confusedblonde86

This experience has been absolutely painful. I ordered WEN's "trial" package earlier this year via their website. I promptly received my first shipment. I was not thoroughly impressed with the product; I have fine hair and felt it did not do anything for me, infact it made my hair limper. A few months passed and ANOTHER package came in the mail... At this point I started wondering why I was still receiving product. It turned out that they had been charging my credit card for all the interim months. When they tell you the product is only X amount of dollars monthly, what they mean is that they are SPLITTING up the payment over a few months because it is actually upwards of $100 CDN per shipment.

The only other notable experience for me was with their customer service. Firstly, expect to spend a significant amount of time on the phone with them. Secondly, do not expect to speak with someone pleasant. My first call was absolutely horrendous and actually left my angrier than I was originally. She was not accommodating and instead put the blame on me. I called back a second time (after speaking with my credit card company about how to get all the money I had spent reimbursed) and the second lady was lovely. However, I have not been reimbursed fully and will likely spend even more time trying to reclaim funds through my credit card company.

If you really want to try WEN, go and buy a bottle at Sephora. I cannot personally recommend the product, I have seen better results with numerous cheaper alternatives, and I can say with 100% confidence that ordering through their website was a nightmare.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2014 12:21:00 AM More reviews by jessae

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I've heard about co-washing for years but had the usual concerns of oily roots, smell, that sort of thing. I finally decided to try Wen after if had been recommended rather heartily by a lovely Sephora associate in Willow Bend, TX, so I bought the starter kit. First off, I love the smell, it's just perfect. It doesn't seem to stick around after my hair has been styled, but I guess that's what the refresher is for! Anyway, I have very blonde highlighted hair with lowlights. I wash, blow dry and flat iron around 2-3x's/week. Basically, my hair is dry and damaged and fine. When I use the washing conditioner, I use 4 full pumps, which I thought was a lot until I read on here that you're supposed to use 10-15 pumps, that would be like half of the bottle!! But 4 pumps seems to be perfect for me, I make sure I get it all up in my scalp and massage it around, and of course the length but my hair is only shoulder length. There is no lathering at all which takes a minute to get used to, but the good massage action gets my hoar perfectly clean, no strange leftover odors. I usually let it sit while I finish showering, in case it continues to condition, then I gently rinse, I don't even rinse it entirely off. After several weeks of using this, I'm about halfway through the bottle and I bought the bigger size, even though my wallet cried. I can't see myself going back to mere foaming shampoos again, regardless of hair coloring status. I love this stuff. Oh, no greasy roots either, although if it starts to feel a little buildup-y I'll use a regular foaming shampoo (gently) maybe like twice a month, followed by the wen deep moisture mask.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2014 6:16:00 AM More reviews by zsazsa219

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Other Eyes: Green

I love Wen! 6 months,and I will NOT use any thing else, I use 10 pumps,on wet hair,comb through,rinse,rinse rinse,repeat 10 pumps with 4 pumps 6-13,comb through,leave on for 3-5 minutes,rinse,rinse rinse,rinse,! I do this 3 times s week. I get my hair foiled every 12 weeks now Instead of every 6 weeks! my color just doesn't fade,oh and I take my wen with me when it's time for color,! Thank you Mr. Dean!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/2/2014 7:42:00 PM More reviews by wrayjj

Firstly, this product had a gorgeous fragrance, the almond and mint work especially well together. With this being said, mint is a lovely ingredient to have in cosmetic products as it has a certain freshness. Personally my scalp felt amazing after using this. I can imagine however that those with sensitive skin may not react as well as I did.

In terms of effectiveness, yes, my hair did feel much softer after correct application of this product. HOWEVER, A LOT of hair came out in the process! So much in fact that it did shock me a little bit. I imagine that a lot of the hair was dead and ready to come out to begin with, however the amount that came out this time is comparable to three regular showers worth of hair loss for me. For this reason, my rating for this product is reduced significantly. I may consider repurchasing this product for use once every 1-2 months, when I'm in the mood for some shedding... however no more than that!