July 25, 2014 | 1914 users online

Cleansers - Desert Essence - Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Sunflower and Kelp

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2010 12:03:00 PM More reviews by helicane

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

HOOOLY SMOKES! This is the only thing that has not aggravated my acne issues. Seriously. Hell, this stuff might even assist in preventing it.

It's very exciting. I've tried a lot of things, but my acne kept popping back up like nobody's business. This stuff gently cleanses with a little bit of moisture, and doesn't strip my skin. The fact that this brand tries to focus on more natural ingredients is an excellent perk as well. If you have issues with consistent hormonal acne, I highly recommend giving it a shot. This is my new HG.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/8/2010 9:41:00 PM More reviews by knitsnbytes

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is a light yellow, clear liquid cleanser in a pump, with a faint odor, slightly fruity. It lathers VERY well.

The instructions are to wet face, pump a small amount into hand and then lather for a minute and rinse. Well, you have to rinse a lot as it is very soapy (first ingredient is castile soap.) But it is NOT a detergent.

The package says this is for normal skin, but if your skin is bone-dry, you might prefer a cream cleanser. I have normal mature skin and my skin LOVES this cleanser. The ingredients are natural, including tea tree oil which is a natural antiseptic. I will repurchase as I really like the feeling of clean, soft skin and it is reasonably priced.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/24/2010 9:06:00 AM More reviews by XoXoSinCity

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

OMG HG cleanser all the way. I have tried over the years switching to as many organic skin care items as possible and an effective decent smelling organic cleanser has been nearly impossible for me to find as I had given up on finding one that has good ingredients but would still deep clean my very clog prone skin yet never dry me out. I had tried so many brands with no luck and couldn't stomachusing a tea tree oil cleanser as I know waht an amazing effect it would ahve on my pores but the smell makes me want to gag and as silly as it sounds I can't use a cleanser I don't like the smell of. Anyhow I was randomly as whole foods and passed the cleansers. I noticed they ahd this THroughoughly Clean is 3 different versions adn had noticed in before but steared clear as I saw it had tea tree lol. Well the main one smells like tea tree but this sunflower and sea kelp version smell very fresh and almost tangerine like which was shocking. Also I couldn't tell the difference in them at all as the ingredients are identical but grabbed the sunflower version. Long story short I LOOOOVE it. I have finally found everything I have wanted in a cleanser after years of spending thousands. All natural amazing healthy ingredients, smells great, deep cleans while being so gentle, and leaves my skin like silk and doesn't ever dry over time. Also love the liquidy texture as opposed to cream and gels I have used as the tintest amount goes so far and lathers is such a gentle and luxrious way without any bad ingredients whatsoever. Even though I have rediculosuly pain in the ass clog prone skin I have realized over exfoliating and using skin type cleanser has done nothing for me over the years. Having an all antural skincare routine is what balances my fussy skin and leaves it happy. Takes extra work but hey. My face loves this cleanser and on top of the amazing quality you get soooo much for your money. I use it at night after my also all natural Origins Cleansing Oil (only oil I have ever used that is non-comnegenic and eliminated my need for harsh exfoliators and aha products). I have always had a seperate cleanser for morning and night but for once think I will use this as my morning cleanser as well. Buy this now at Whole Foods for all skin types! :)

rated 5 of 5 on 10/28/2009 10:58:00 PM More reviews by ravenia

Age: Unknown Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This face wash is amazing. I was originally using the thoroughly clean face wash with organic tea tree oil and awapuhi, I had great results from that cleanser so I decided to give this one a try. It's not as thin as the original is, it has better consistency and smells wonderful. After washing with it once my skin looked so bright and refreshed. I have decided to keep using the original but I will use this one more. I love Desert Essence.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2008 10:13:00 AM More reviews by pallor

This is a lovely all natural product thats easy to use and easy on your wallet. I ran across this in Whole Body (Whole Foods Market's stand alone lifestyle store). I was initially looking for a cleanser to replace my beloved Kiehl's Brightening Wash and Chanel Precision Cream Foaming Cleanser. I am on a revitalized natural/organic stint once again and reasoned if I only eat organic foods I should also be treating my largest organ (my skin) to the same delights.

Desert Essence cost about $7 for an 8 fl. oz. pump container. At that price I had to purchase it. The first two ingredients are castile soap and olive oil . I usually stay away from natural products because they can be too harsh for my very pale, sensitive skin. This product was not harsh in the slightest and it removed every bit of my makeup, including the ever difficult caked on mascara.

Some reviewers found the dispenser bottle to be troublesome. If you are used to a thick, cream cleanser, this may take a bit to get used to. Its similar to Boscia's cleanser in that its liquid that requires slight water to foam. Just remember the consistency is that of a liquid, not a gel or a cream, and you shouldn't ever over pump. I find that I can control the amount of lather better with this sort of product. The only real draw back is traveling with a product like this. I am about to head to New Mexico, and I will just pick up another one at a Whole Foods, rather than try to fly with it or put it in a smaller container. The pump does smash down and lock, if you like to travel with full size products.

Overall, I have been pleased with the purchase and recommend it for people with sensitive skin who need a good cleanse, without over drying. I would venture to say this is best as a spring/summer wash, as it has a potential to zap more moisture/oil and may make some users uncomfortable in the colder, drier, winter months. continued >>

rated 5 of 5 on 1/3/2008 7:15:00 PM More reviews by theseagrows

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

i have combination skin with a tendency to breakout. for years i used neutrogena acne wash, and it was the only thing that kept the breakouts away. recently i've been trying to use more natural products and products that aren't tested on animals, so i tried this. i'm glad i did. it gives me the same results as the neutrogena, and it smells better and makes my skin softer. it does tighten my pores after i use it, so i can see how it won't work for dry skin users. however, if you have oily/combination skin, give this a try.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/28/2007 4:52:00 PM More reviews by DarlingLuna

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

The only people I would not suggest this face wash to are people with dry skin. I love love love this face wash. I have very sensitive skin and my face tends to break out very easily with a lot of cleansers, but not this one. Another great thing about it is that it's very long lasting, I bought a bottle in June and I'm still using it now in December, and I use this stuff everyday!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/15/2007 11:07:00 PM More reviews by reviewgirl07

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have dry skin that tends to break out and get a little shiny sometimes. I dry out really easily, but this makes my skin really smooth and hasn't irritated my sensitive skin! Hopefully it will continue to work well!

rated 1 of 5 on 9/25/2006 1:23:00 AM More reviews by leidon

I initially purchased this cleanser because I was impressed by its ingredients. However, this cleanser is SUPER DRYING & I don't even have sensitive skin! My skin felt very dry & tight after using this cleanser. I even tried to dilute it 50/50 with my jojoba oil & it was still too drying. Unless you have EXTREMELY oily skin, I wouldn't recommend using this cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/10/2006 3:09:00 PM More reviews by vmathew

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I switched to this after using Paula's Choice Products. Note that there are 3 different types of Thoroughly Clean Facewash products by Desert Essence. The one I'm reviewing is yellow. There is some tea tree oil in here, but no strong fragrance to go with it. This cleanses without drying and rinses clean. It's summer now, so I will see what happens going into fall.