Biologique Recherche Masque Vivant

Yeast Extract (Faex Extract), Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Bentonite, Kaolin, Alcohol Denat, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Glycerin, Vinegar, Lactic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana Bark/Leaf/Twig Extract, Hypericum Perforatum Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Acacida Senegal Gum, Xanthan Gum.

on 6/18/2015 2:08:00 PM

I have changed my mind so many times about this mask! It's almost embarrassing! I used to use it by first using P50 toner, then the mask with a pinch of baking soda and a drop of water. Using the mask this way is supposed to dissolve blackheads. Well, I no longer use P50 or baking soda, and it seems to be much better for my skin. No beet red cheeks, no darkening of my skin, and my skin doesn't get dehydrated from it. It looks glowy and fresh and oil production, at least for that day, is diminished greatly (I have pretty oily skin, so that's about the best I can hope for). I also make sure to keep it on for no more than 20 minutes. I wash it off in the shower because it's much too messy to wash off at the sink.

on 5/8/2015 10:28:00 AM

I am new to this product line but am so far very impressed. This masque is considered an essential part of the routine, especially for combination/oily skin. I have been using this about twice a week after cleansing and using the P50 toner. It does not look or smell nice. Once you can get past that, it really makes a difference in my skin...balancing it and making it clearer. I will update as the weather gets warmer and my skin gets more oily and congested.

on 3/4/2015 2:11:00 AM

I'm a HUGE BR fan, but I wasn't blown away by this mask. I added the baking soda and my Complex Iribiol serum to it. I dunno: my skin didn't look any better. In fact, it seemed quite dull. Maybe a few blackheads disappeared? But I almost think it made me break out. I much prefer GlamGlow's SuperMud Clearing Treatment to this mask when it comes to a clarifying, pore minimizing and purifying mask. Otherwise: all the other BR products I use are HG products for me.

on 2/1/2015 11:54:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this sometime around late last year (September 2014 or so?) along with P50 lotion both the 1970 version and the phenol free one because at the time, I had massive cystic breakouts and I heard great things about the products. Spoiler: the p50 did not help. I eventually signed onto pocketderm.com to get in touch with a dermatologist. If you're like me and have tried a million products, DIYs and so forth but have gotten mediocre to no results, I highly recommend you try pocketderm. I won't get into details about it since you can google them yourselves. But I digress. After two months of the p50 lotions, both used straight from the bottle as well as diluted, I was left with more acne that I started. I guess it was just too strong for me. For the masque, I can't say I used it too much. It's too expensive and I don't really see results. So that's about it for me. As for the smell, I actually like it. I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR HORRIFIED FACES. But as a Vietnamese woman, I can say the smell is similar to a sauce very frequently eaten in my home. Sorry if I grossed you out.

TLDR; don't buy, unless you can splurge. Try pocketderm.com (no, I am not sponsored. But I figured you guys should know what got me 90% acne free minus the couple of hormonal acne here and there.)

on 1/26/2015 4:41:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm struggling with every key stroke on "would I buy this again". Why you wonder? Well it's no secret. This mask stinks. Stinks bad. Real bad. But it works just as much as it stinks.
It's packed with yeast. Live yeast. UGH! The claim is you will never age again if you use this twice a week. Could be true. A fter the first time I used it, there was a noticable difference in my complextion. Brighter. Toned pores. Clean and refined pores. Toned skin. Great for combo congested types. I have issues with blackheads around my nose, frequently. Make up glides on. I have become a mouth breather when this is on my face. Pretending it doesn't bother me. One reviewer wrote, you can smell it off and on all day AFTER the treatment. She is NOT lying. Just a wiff. A gentle reminder. Please Biologique Recherche, I'm begging you...the technology has to be out there to correct this tiny glitch. Until that day, I will spend my money on this...$64.00/tube because it works. It really works.
By the way, the skin care line is fabulous. I will post on other products I use from this line.

on 7/2/2014 12:19:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

The Masque Vivant like all of Biologique Recherche's products stink to high heaven but this one is one of their worst smelling items. Be forewarned. Thank goodness you don't have to use it every week. I think a website that sells this in the US called 'Shop Rescue Spa' said that you can use this twice a week (?) so that's how often I use this mask.

This seems to be slighly tightening yet still reasonably comfortable and it seems to be mattifying so far but of course I use this along with P50 1970, Complexe Iribiol serum and Creme Dermopurifiante and not solely in isolation. I'm giving this 3.5 lippies but I literally can't here on Makeupalley! : )

I haven't mixed this mask with baking soda yet however but I would like to do that in the future at some point!

on 4/26/2014 11:22:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This mask smells sooooooooo terrible.
I can usually handle herbal or natural smells in products, i prefer them to the artificial mainstream smells..but this, this is a whole other realm.
To me, every time, i get burned bbq chicken. as if you had left bbq chicken out for days and days and then rubbed it all over your face.. with like, a hint of pee...or old undies, or something.
it's putrid.
the smell intensifies as you're washing it off and it still lingers after you scrub it away..
but i swear this stuff is doing something..
i can't quite put my finger on it, but i can tell it's good and i keep on reaching for that bottle and using it over and over.. its on my face as i write this review.
that chick who rubbed tea tree oil inside her nostrils when using this...she was on to something.
try it out if you enjoy your face stinking, but looking nicer.

p.s. I'm using this in with the lotion p50 and creme vip o2.
all winners in my book.

This mask (when used along side other recommended BR products) has made my skin look like that of a film star. It is incredible. It has never happened with any other range.
Through the years I have used.......drum roll: Lancome, Weleda,Trilogy, Lavera, Neals Yard, Shisedo, Dr Haushka, Olay, Jurlique, Elizabeth Arden, Dermalogica, Innoxa, La Roche Posay, Kanebo, Avene, Kiehls, Clarins, Clinique, Decleor, Biotherm, Eve Lom, Emma Hardie, REN, Dr Nick Lowe, Ponds and many many more brands.

At this age I've decided to investigate brands outside the makeup main stream. Thanks Caroline Hirons for your blogs and introducing me to P50 and BR.

The BR range is the most quickly acting effective skin care range I have ever used. I won't need microdermabrasion any more. And my clarisonic can be used on my body instead.

The problems I wanted targeted were: 1) large pores, 2) a reduction in Tzone shine, 3) improved cheek hydration, 4) to reduce early slight sagging on the cheeks.

Overall I wanted to be confident to go to work without feeling I had to use any foundation, tinted moisturiser or pore reducing primer.

My pores and shine have massively improved.

Im also supplementing with a few BR facials as an investment to help my skin really get a good kick start for 2014....... Face and neck skin is part of an outfit.....

The dreadful thing is that the odour from the mask actually worsens once you remove it. Through the day the odour gets stronger and stronger. Yet as the odour worsens the better your skin looks- you glow and look amazing. It is so warped. A weird sort of mathematical dysfuntion.

The smell: horrendous: it is a potent mixture of: Braggs sauce, soya sauce, Marmite, Vegemite, Berocca Vitamin B tablets, hops, and a generous tablespoon of yeast. yup. Suck it up if you dare.

This is a pretty pricey range so I think it is smart to get a proper consultation- Im really glad I did. I got a mini facial to test out products, and this was redeemable on purchases. I also got given samples to continue with, to help make a decision.

On days where I use this mask-( weekend), I confess I use a Shisedo moisturiser and perfume. This is because I just have to smell something different, something lovely. I just can't cope with the persistent Vitamin B marmite smell. We breathe 16-20 times a minute......you feelin me?????

BR do not recommend you mix between brands in case of reactions as theres a lot of active ingredients in the BR products.

If you are totally tired of your skin and have tried as much and as hard as I have to find something that works, then consider the BR range.

***** 8 months later- on weekends and evenings, I go around my local town with un- tinted moisturiser and sunscreen. Im proud of my skin. I can't give up the tinted moisturiser for work- I just love my Nars!!
**** October 2014- please see footnote added to my review of P50

on 10/31/2013 11:52:00 PM

Wow, last review 2009? More people need to know about this!

So yes, after reading the reviews, a few things:
--The smell is kinda weird
-This mask is brown, so to me, it looks very.. strange on

However.. I LOVE this mask. Love. I love how it makes my skin feel afterwards. I leave it onfor 20 minutes, then use warm water to wash it off then exfoliate softly with a wash cloth. No better feeling, and I know it helps clean my pores!

So expensive, but it's a good product. I'm basically out of it now, so I will be going back to the spa where I got it from and repurchasing.

on 3/23/2009 12:16:00 PM

The mask is really good, the cleansing power is descent. My skin was glowing afterwards. Very natural, and works even better with baking soda.

Popular Masks