Biologique Recherche Masque Vivant

Yeast Extract (Faex Extract), Water (Aqua), Propylene Glycol, Bentonite, Kaolin, Alcohol Denat, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Glycerin, Vinegar, Lactic Acid, Hamamelis Virginiana Bark/Leaf/Twig Extract, Hypericum Perforatum Flower/Leaf/Stem Extract, Acacida Senegal Gum, Xanthan Gum.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium Brown, Not Sure

This mask is God's gift to humanity :)

This stuff is AMAZING. I recently went to the BR Institute in Paris for a facial and product recommendations. I'm 28 years old and have been battling with awful cystic, hormonal acne ever since I stopped taking the pill four years ago. I've tried EVERYTHING and spent obscene amounts of money on products, so I figured, what the hell. This mask has been the star performer in clearing up my skin. I was also recommended to use the P50W toner (I never knew I had sensitive skin...), along with Creme Dermopurifiante, and both have also helped my skin. I'm back to that "glow" I never thought I would see again. I know the price is killer when you bundle it with all the products, but I have to say, I've never felt more satisfied or better about spending that kind of money. IT WORKS. Sure, the smell is putrid, but when you've tried EVERYTHING else on the market like me, you're desperate to find something that works. You will not regret this purchase! Just breathe through your mouth- or better yet, find a way to embrace "le stench."

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

I tried this for the first time two days ago.

First, yes, yes the smell, it actually does smell like bread yeast and soy sauce to me. I agree with the poster who said it smells like bbq. Not going to lie... wearing this mask actually made me a little hungry. It seems like this because of the "live" yeast in the product. I didn't really find it bothersome, but it does "stay on the skin" I smelled it even after I washed my face, and I could still smell it's lingering scent the next day. I assume that means the yeast is still alive and working on the skin.

I only have a couple of samples of this product, so I am going to finish them first before really reviewing this, but I wanted to go ahead and write something now so I can follow up later. I am always weary of trying new products since I breakout so easily. I've got complicated skin. It's oily, dehydrated, acne prone, and clog prone.

After one use, I noticed the stubborn tiny clogs around my nose and chin (that no one sees but me) decrease by half. Really quite a surprise. I am going to use up my samples before singing it's praises but If this works out in the long run I'll be pretty happy.

It's price is $64 on Vicki Morav for 3.4oz (to compare glamglo is $69 for 1.2oz).

I have changed my mind so many times about this mask! It's almost embarrassing! I used to use it by first using P50 toner, then the mask with a pinch of baking soda and a drop of water. Using the mask this way is supposed to dissolve blackheads. Well, I no longer use P50 or baking soda, and it seems to be much better for my skin. No beet red cheeks, no darkening of my skin, and my skin doesn't get dehydrated from it. It looks glowy and fresh and oil production, at least for that day, is diminished greatly (I have pretty oily skin, so that's about the best I can hope for). I also make sure to keep it on for no more than 20 minutes. I wash it off in the shower because it's much too messy to wash off at the sink.

EDIT 11/28/15: OK, so it isn't almost embarrassing. I can't use this mask anymore, which is a shame because I have an unopened one. It just dries my skin out horribly. I used to think it helped calm the SD in my eyebrows, but it actually exacerbates it.

I am new to this product line but am so far very impressed. This masque is considered an essential part of the routine, especially for combination/oily skin. I have been using this about twice a week after cleansing and using the P50 toner. It does not look or smell nice. Once you can get past that, it really makes a difference in my skin...balancing it and making it clearer. I will update as the weather gets warmer and my skin gets more oily and congested.

I'm a HUGE BR fan, but I wasn't blown away by this mask. I added the baking soda and my Complex Iribiol serum to it. I dunno: my skin didn't look any better. In fact, it seemed quite dull. Maybe a few blackheads disappeared? But I almost think it made me break out. I much prefer GlamGlow's SuperMud Clearing Treatment to this mask when it comes to a clarifying, pore minimizing and purifying mask. Otherwise: all the other BR products I use are HG products for me.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure

I bought this sometime around late last year (September 2014 or so?) along with P50 lotion both the 1970 version and the phenol free one because at the time, I had massive cystic breakouts and I heard great things about the products. Spoiler: the p50 did not help. I eventually signed onto pocketderm.com to get in touch with a dermatologist. If you're like me and have tried a million products, DIYs and so forth but have gotten mediocre to no results, I highly recommend you try pocketderm. I won't get into details about it since you can google them yourselves. But I digress. After two months of the p50 lotions, both used straight from the bottle as well as diluted, I was left with more acne that I started. I guess it was just too strong for me. For the masque, I can't say I used it too much. It's too expensive and I don't really see results. So that's about it for me. As for the smell, I actually like it. I CAN SEE ALL OF YOUR HORRIFIED FACES. But as a Vietnamese woman, I can say the smell is similar to a sauce very frequently eaten in my home. Sorry if I grossed you out.

TLDR; don't buy, unless you can splurge. Try pocketderm.com (no, I am not sponsored. But I figured you guys should know what got me 90% acne free minus the couple of hormonal acne here and there.)

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

I'm struggling with every key stroke on "would I buy this again". Why you wonder? Well it's no secret. This mask stinks. Stinks bad. Real bad. But it works just as much as it stinks.
It's packed with yeast. Live yeast. UGH! The claim is you will never age again if you use this twice a week. Could be true. A fter the first time I used it, there was a noticable difference in my complextion. Brighter. Toned pores. Clean and refined pores. Toned skin. Great for combo congested types. I have issues with blackheads around my nose, frequently. Make up glides on. I have become a mouth breather when this is on my face. Pretending it doesn't bother me. One reviewer wrote, you can smell it off and on all day AFTER the treatment. She is NOT lying. Just a wiff. A gentle reminder. Please Biologique Recherche, I'm begging you...the technology has to be out there to correct this tiny glitch. Until that day, I will spend my money on this...$64.00/tube because it works. It really works.
By the way, the skin care line is fabulous. I will post on other products I use from this line.

January 29, 2016: Just bought my second stinky tube! HAHA. This stuff is amazing and trust me, you will learn to tolerate the raw scent. This is what no fragrance means. It's amazing for me because the results are immediately NOTICEABLE. All day my skin looks glowy and flawless. Every time I use this in the morning, I get compliments all through the day. I also just purchased the VIP02 hydrating mask. Review coming. I've only used it twice so far, and I'm really enjoying that one too.

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Warm

Hair: Black, Relaxed, Coarse

The Masque Vivant like all of Biologique Recherche's products stink to high heaven but this one is one of their worst smelling items. Be forewarned. Thank goodness you don't have to use it every week. I think a website that sells this in the US called 'Shop Rescue Spa' said that you can use this twice a week (?) so that's how often I use this mask.

This seems to be slighly tightening yet still reasonably comfortable and it seems to be mattifying so far but of course I use this along with P50 1970, Complexe Iribiol serum and Creme Dermopurifiante and not solely in isolation. I'm giving this 3.5 lippies but I literally can't here on Makeupalley! : )

I haven't mixed this mask with baking soda yet however but I would like to do that in the future at some point!

Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure

This mask smells sooooooooo terrible.
I can usually handle herbal or natural smells in products, i prefer them to the artificial mainstream smells..but this, this is a whole other realm.
To me, every time, i get burned bbq chicken. as if you had left bbq chicken out for days and days and then rubbed it all over your face.. with like, a hint of pee...or old undies, or something.
it's putrid.
the smell intensifies as you're washing it off and it still lingers after you scrub it away..
but i swear this stuff is doing something..
i can't quite put my finger on it, but i can tell it's good and i keep on reaching for that bottle and using it over and over.. its on my face as i write this review.
that chick who rubbed tea tree oil inside her nostrils when using this...she was on to something.
try it out if you enjoy your face stinking, but looking nicer.

p.s. I'm using this in with the lotion p50 and creme vip o2.
all winners in my book.