April 19, 2014 | 1105 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Custom Effects Lowlights in Toffee

rated 4 of 5 on 12/15/2007 7:05:00 PM More reviews by nksmith

This product works pretty well I would say. My hair was a very light blonde and I wanted to add some dimension to it. The instructions said you could do chunks or small pieces of lowlights..whatever you wanted. So I did some larger chunks in front...I ended up liking it! Even though my hair was really blonde the darker toffee color seemed to blend relatively well. The only thing I would suggest is having a friend help because it is hard to get pieces in back since it is not an allover color you can just squirt everywhere.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/18/2007 7:10:00 PM More reviews by shan1976

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Are they discontinuing this product? I HOPE NOT! It's so easy to put lowlights in your hair using this fantastic product. I was at walgreens and it said "last chance" and it was marked WAAAYYY down to about 4$. So I bought the store out. haha I also couldn't find it at other locations locally. It is on drugstore.com right now though, stock up just in case. I over color my hair blonde and this helps it look like I spent $100 easily at the salon. Just in time for the holidays.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/25/2007 1:35:00 PM More reviews by bradysmom

I, too, LOVE the toner in this product. I had also over-highlighted my hair, and this box saved my life. My biggest gripe is that there's not a cap or anything and it was a BIG mess...I ended up trying to do foils myself...not pretty.
But, it did turn out well and saved me a trip to the salon.
I'll definitely buy this again.
Do yourself a favor and go buy a cap and hook, though.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2007 6:07:00 PM More reviews by lotusblossom2

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love this product. My hair was over highlighted and looking brassy and blah. I got this kit and had my husband help me pick slices of hair to blend in and look overall blonde, but less so. The color Toffee matched my roots almost perfectly (it's a little darker) and the result was natural looking and shiny. I LOVE that they include a toner in here, it is the perfect finishing touch! Things they could improve - the brush is funky. Maybe mixing the product in a little bowl and using a mascara wand type tool would be better. The color - it fades FAST. I wonder if this could be remedied by not washing hair for a day or 2 after coloring. All in all though I'll buy again for sure.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/19/2007 4:16:00 PM More reviews by WillyWonka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have used this 3 times now and LOVE the color. I, too, am trying to grow out my hair (dirty blond), and needed something to break the line bewteen my real color and my over-processed bleach blond hair. This makes me look so good--my eyes pop and I have more depth to my face. With the white hair I looked completely washed out and phony. Now, I look glamorous and certainly not drab. LOVE this color. Only problem is that it fades really quickly but for only $7.99 (w/ coupon) for a box, it's worth it :-)

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2007 3:56:00 PM More reviews by Graceybug

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My hair is naturally medium to dark blonde depending on the season. I had lowlights that were over 6 months old and 4 months of regrowth on partial highlights. I am trying to grow my hair out to my natural color and needed something to tone down the blonde on the ends and blend the regrowth with the highlighted.

The product was easy to use. The little comb was fairly easy to use as on the directions. I did have assistance making sure that I put color in all the right places in the back. It only took about 35 minutes from start to finish. The toner helped eliminate any brassiness. I used the included conditioner only I left it on 7 minutes instead of the recommended 2 minutes. The end result is that my hair feels extremely healthy. It doesn't stink or feel rough. It looks very shiny and feels fabulous. The texture is smooth and very touchable. The color is great. It is exactly what I was going for. It blends the regrowth with the highlighted without looking drab and mousy.

I am anxious to see how long the lowights light and will update.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/22/2006 1:32:00 PM More reviews by tls8181

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

i just started using this a few months ago when i had an overzealous blonding experience and wanted to tone down my color. the toffee color is perfect for blondes and you can really control the results, you can have very subtle or dramatic lowlights depending on how you apply it. i've gotten tons of compliments on my hair from both people i know and complete strangers since using this. i use the garnier color breaks highlights along with the lowlights.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2006 12:46:00 PM More reviews by wicker

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Love this product. Have been using it for months now and find it actually improves the condition of my heair.......I don't know if it is the "toner" that is applied before the conditioner but this product is AWESOME.. I buy the hilights (can't remember the actual colour) and recommend it to anyone - this from someone who typically gets it done in the salon!

rated 5 of 5 on 7/26/2006 12:32:00 PM More reviews by Shell14428

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I was so scared to try this - It sat on my shelf for 2 weeks before I worked up the nerve!!! Turned out it was incredibly easy to apply - and looks fabulous too!!!. I usually pay about 75.00 at the salon for lowlights but these look just as good and I think I payed 10.99. Not to mention the time savings of not having to find a sitter and then spend 2 hours there - I took me exactly 1 hour and 15 minutes (with multiple interruptions from my choldren) from start to finish. I have light ash blonde hair and these were just the perfect shade for blondes, although I usually get chocolate brown lowlights at the salon - I was afraid to try this in the chocolate brown color - it said that was for dark brown hair. I really could not be anymore pleased!!! I will update review as far as staying power in a couple of weeks. But for this price I doubt I will have any complaints.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2006 10:26:00 AM More reviews by kak513

I got this for free-with-rebate at Riteaid this week, and I only succumbed to coloring my hair due to the price break. I started with the Highlights in Honey. (I'll get to the toffee momentarily.) I haven't colored my hair in years, so I'm not sure what posessed me to think this was a great idea. Anyway, the packaging is great, and the gloves are the higher-quality version. The little applicator comb was pretty good, but when applying with it, the blue formula pretty much disappeared into my hair, so it wasn't clear how much I'd applied to any given streak. This was a really strong smelling chemical mixture, too. I only left it in for about 20 minutes, and the recommended time is 45. Yikes--that was time aplenty. I'm convinced the streak would have been completely platinum had I waited any longer. As it stands, they turned out VERY coppery orange and yellow much to my horror. I ran back to the store and picked up the Lowlights version in Toffee (more like my real light brown color) and did it all over again, leaving a few faint streak of bright highlights. I left this in my hair for about 25 minutes, and the recommended is 30. Thank goodness this worked, and actually looks very professional due to the variances in color. What's weird is that the lowlights are still brighter than my natural light/medium brown color, but I guess I got what I was seeking. I'm not sure I'd go through this again--unless I had both boxes in front of me to ensure nothing ugly happened. I think I'm through with artificial haircolor for a bit.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No