September 19, 2014 | 1890 users online

Hair Color - Revlon - Custom Effects Highlights in Honey

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/6/2009 2:50:00 AM More reviews by mmarrs

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Found this easy to apply prob would use again

rated 1 of 5 on 11/12/2007 3:29:00 PM More reviews by kristen80

Stay away from this kit!! I've been highlighting for years using a pull-through cap on my hair (which is long & thick), and for some reason decided to use this kit a few years back. It was horrendous. You apply the highlights w/ a little brush, and they inevitably come out looking chunky, fake, and really ugly. My roots looked so bad too. As a result of this kit, I dyed my hair all one color immediately, and it became way too dark. So then, $100 later, I went to a salon and they did highlights all over my head to fix the problem. One of my close friends had the exact same experience w/ this kit.

I would stick to L'Oreal Excellence Cremelights if you're going to do it at home - I'll never use another kit. Or, leave it up to the professionals...

rated 1 of 5 on 4/4/2007 7:38:00 PM More reviews by carly50

My hair was a faded reddish-brown, so I bought Colorsilk in Light Ash Brown and this highlighting kit in Honey to even out my hair and give it some new dimension. The Colorsilk worked well, though it was darker than I expected. I should have left well enough alone. Custom Effects gave me chunky, bright ORANGE streaks. I followed the directions exactly, left the dye and the toner on for the specified amount of time, and got Halloween-ish results! Worse, the highlights are lighter orange closer to my scalp, despite the fact that I was careful to keep the dye a 1/2 inch from my scalp, as the directions said. I am VERY disappointed in my results and have bought some L'Oreal Preference in Dark Ash Blond to try and fix the whole mess. I can't recommend this!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/15/2007 7:29:00 PM More reviews by dolcefan

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

When a product says to leave it on for x amount of time, you really need to do this. Otherwise, it won't lift properly, and you WILL get that 'orange/brassy' color of complaint. Anyway, although I prefer the lowlights version, I used this without any problems. It gave my medium brown hair nice golden blonde highlights. My problem is using a bit too much....which, as others mentioned, would be easier if the blue shade didnt disappear into your hair. The lowlights version is easier to apply.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/31/2006 11:50:00 AM More reviews by mochasplash

i bought the custom effects in honey. it didnt seem too bad when i applied it. i had medium brown hair at the time. it completely stripped my hair of color. it went blonde. it was a little brassy too. i dont think the toner did much when i applied it after washing it out. i personally think this product is going to bleaching hair or stipping it if you have dark hair. i like that you can use it on color hair. the blue vanished in my hair, which i found weird, therefore i didnt know how it was going to turn out and it came out blocky and uneven. o well. i actually bought custom effects lastnight in champange highlights, im going to use it to strip my hair and put a light brown on top... i only bought it cuz i got it mad cheap at $3 CAN.
otherwise, i wouldnt use this product to highlight my hair.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/5/2006 10:23:00 AM More reviews by kak513

BRASSY! I got this for free-with-rebate at Riteaid this week, and I only succumbed to coloring my hair due to the price break. I haven't colored my hair in years, so I'm not sure what posessed me to think this was a great idea. Anyway, the packaging is great, and the gloves are the higher-quality version. The little applicator comb was pretty good, but when applying with it, the blue formula pretty much disappeared into my hair, so it wasn't clear how much I'd applied to any given streak. This was a really strong smelling chemical mixture, too. I only left it in for about 20 minutes, and the recommended time is 45. Yikes--that was time aplenty. I'm convinced the streak would have been completely platinum had I waited any longer. As it stands, they turned out VERY coppery orange and yellow much to my horror. I ran back to the store and picked up the Lowlights version in Toffee (more like my real light brown color) and did it all over again, leaving a few faint streak of bright highlights. Thank goodness this works, and actually looks very professional due to the variances in color. I'm not sure I'd go through this again--unless I had both boxes in front of me to ensure nothing ugly happened. I think I'm through with artificial haircolor for a bit.