December 22, 2014 | 1645 users online

Hair Color - L'Oreal - Frost & Design Dramatic High-Precision Highlights

rated 5 of 5 on 9/11/2014 9:13:00 AM More reviews by Felicityjh

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

My first at-home highlighting attempt (was brightening my locks for a family reunion) has been a success and much better than my first and only expensive salon job (which I colored over). I used the caramel on my natural light brown/dark blonde hair and came out with a perfect sunkissed look. Will use again.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/10/2014 1:54:00 PM More reviews by beavispeaches

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

On a whim earlier this week, I decided I wanted to add blonde highlights to my hair, which is naturally red. (What I'd really like to do is go platinum, but I am too afraid to do that at home.) I polled friends and family for the best method of adding highlights at home, and the kit that got the most positive votes was this one, L'Oreal Frost & Design. I got the Petit Frost kit which is the same thing, but on a smaller scale, since I have a pixie cut.

I was nervous, but the directions were easy to follow, and I had no trouble pulling my hair through the holes in the cap. I decided to only do the front/top part of my hair, since the rest was a little too short to pull through. The product had a pretty strong smell, but it is hair bleach, so I was expecting an odor. It was nothing the bathroom vent couldn't handle.

There is not a time directive for red hair in the instructions, which is the reason I only gave an overall rating of four lippies, so I guessed based on the others and left the bleach on for about 35 minutes. I rinsed it out in the shower, which made it easier to pull the cap off without pulling all my hair out at the same time. I liked the way the conditioning shampoo made my hair feel as well, and was happy with the level of lightening the bleach provided.

I did use a conditioner after using the shampoo, and I also used a leave-in conditioner before blow drying my hair, which helped avoid the damaged feeling bleached hair can have. Overall, I really liked this product and will use it the next time I'm feeling like brightening up my look. I have never colored my hair, at home or in the salon, so if I can use this kit and be happy with it, I think most people would feel the same.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/3/2013 4:18:00 PM More reviews by Dwhitsey

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I just had my mother do my hair with this kit and it looks amazing, I had enough left so my sister did hers as well and it turned out great. I love this kit and its the Caramel highlights. Great results. Will be buying again. Highly recommended product. :)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2013 2:07:00 PM More reviews by heathermrm

My actual rating = 3.5. Repurchase = maybe.

Like many others, due to time, expense and basically life in general, I gave up having my hair professionally foiled about 5 years ago and ever since have been coloring and/or highlighting w/ boxes. I have tried a huge variety of hair coloring brands/boxes and a few highlighting ones too. I have washed and saved some of the implements from different boxes and have actually ended up re-using my favs when my current box of choice's implements suck! (example - I have a plastic mixing spatula from a hi lite kit; the bottle/comb applicator from perfect 10 - I re-use this ALL the time; the plastic fingertip hi lite applicator from another L'Oreal hi lite kit (again - I use this one a lot) and a 4 pronged white paint brush hi lite applicator from god knows which hi lite kit).

I have not used a pull-through cap since I was about 10 and my mom was helping me. After starting DIY, I always thought going back to this method would be too time consuming, difficult and bad for my hair (due to all the pulling). Well, the other day, I was in Target, once again bored w/ my hair color {that happens a lot :) } and I must have been there the day BEFORE re-stocking day because the shelves were practically barren.

I saw this on the shelf, looking rather lonely and the color looked right (H5 caramel) for my (dark golden blond/light golden brown is the current color) hair and thought, what the hey hey - I wasn't looking for anything major or in-your-face, just some added dimension to my current color job.

Well - the cap lasted exactly 10 minutes on my head - I HATE THE CAP :P My scalp was sweating (along w/ the rest of me) and yes, I even had a fan directly on me! My DH is not the beauty assistant type (he is too busy laughing and rolling his eye - thanx dear) so I had to tackle this on my own - no problem - I can handle it...NOT! Apparently, I am cap challenged - had a heckuva a time getting hair to pull thru OR pulled really big chunks...I chucked the cap and (using one of my tools in reserve - the paintbrush in this instance) proceeded to paint on some highlights.

NOTE - once you mix everything up (don't you love home chemistry), there was enough cake frosting in that tub to do not only my highlights (I have a stacked bob w/ length below my chin in front, angling back to short in the back), but also my entire neighborhood's women's heads - seriously, how about packaging 1/2 the product amount and then charging 1/2 the price??? Also, I left the mixture in the tub for 35 minutes whilest I walked away to work on the computer killing time for the hair to lighten and when I returned to the bathroom, the mixture had aired up so that it was now heaped over the top of the tub (think foam insulation) - weird but kinda cool. :)

Anywhoo - the smell of the product is middle of the road = not horribly cataclysmic, but no bed of roses either. All in all, didn't bother me a whole lot. The smell of the shampoo is nice - not as nice as Revlon Colorsilk's conditioner, but that sets a VERY high bar.

Also, I wish the box top had the brand and product name on it like a lot of other boxes. If I like a box color or highlight, I tear off the box top and save so there are no questions when I go back to the store. This box top has a picture of the color and the color name, but that is it.

I rinsed out after 35 min, used the shampoo and then towel dried. Last step is to tone (a new one for me.) Thank god I cut only a teeny tiny hole in this packet - it is bright purple with the consistency of water. Basically, I sat w/ my head over the sink and dumped/massaged/combed this watery mess thru my hair (quickly cleaning up any purple water that landed on/in my sink.) I then blew dry = pretty, subtle highlights - just what I was looking for :)

Next time, (if I purchase this again), I will mix up 1/2 the product and leave the rest in packaging for a 2nd use.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/26/2013 10:42:00 PM More reviews by Trying4flawless

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I was stunned to see all the bad reviews. I get my hair highlighted at salon 3 to 4 times a year. And i've used this kit and this kit ONLY to touch up in between for years the 35 volume peroxide cuts the golds. I've always had excellent results on myself (med/drk brown natural hair), my sister drk brown and daughter Lt brown. My technic is, always highlight on dirty hair, only use the thin metal hook (to avoid bleeding thru), do circled holes, comb all strands out (no loops), using paintbrush do new growth (roots) first, then brush on remaing hair, cover completly with bleach, lightly pile on head and check every 10min and recoat strands you may have missed, USE the plastic cap ( warm head faster color change =less hair damage), I Ieave it on approx 50 MINUTES until barely yellow, leave cap on and rinse hair, wash it with a lil of shamp provided (keep the remainer), slightly towel dry (leaving cap on) and pour all the purple toner over strands (this gets rid of all gold color) leave on 5 min, slide off cap, wash with remaining shamp and condition. Note, if ur touching up do only roots and last 10min apply to rest of strands (just to brighten them up). No need to damage previously highlighted hair. Happy Highlighting!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2013 5:30:00 PM More reviews by mzjade22

A couple of things Im noticing with the negative reviews:
1. When using any kind of hair color (especially bleach), ALWAYS do lengths before roots. The heat from your scalp develops the color faster than it would on the lengths.
2. Read and follow every instruction. They are their for a reason. Dont not follow instructions and then complain the product didnt work.

I have naturally jet black hair, that I lighten with Feria Downtown Brown. I use this highlight kit in Caramel. Every time, following every instruction, the highlights come out looking exactly like the box said it would. I keep the brass out by using the John Frieda Tone Correcting Shampoo every 3rd wash. This has worked for me for years, yes it takes forever to pull your hair through the holes,but if you're literate and have a bit of patience, the results are worth it.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/26/2012 1:05:00 PM More reviews by theurbanhippie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Based on all the wonderful reviews of at home kits like this one and Revlon I fearlessly purchased L'Oreal Frost & Design in Caramel because I'd previously dyed my hair and wanted highlight to break up the medium/dark brown.

Mistake #1: Forgot the rule to seek professional assistance when going more than 2 shades lighter than your natural hair color.

The cap did not have the nice sections like the Clairol and Revlon caps which tell you which sections to pull for the look you're going for. In fact, the instructions don't really help at all except to tell you to 'pull every 3rd hole' for certain looks. Really? Then why bother to circle some of the holes? So I decided to pull all of the circled holes which took over an hour.

I then mixed the preparation which actually smelled really good and then proceeded to apply. The root area was lightening to gold before I could even finish putting the overcap on which scared me because the ends were still brown. After 40 minutes the last six inches of my hair were red-gold. I kept it on for the full 60 minutes praying the ends would lighten after reading the suggestions of others who reviewed this product and ended up with pale yellow and light red-gold.

Mistake #2: What works on someone else's hair may not work on yours. Follow your instincts: if it looks like it's going wrong, it probably is.

I rinsed, toned and now I look like one of the hookers from the pool room scene in 'Carlito's Way'. It's a miracle my hair held up this well though the highlighted parts feel a bit slimy when washing letting me know they are damaged. I have pale yellow for 3 inches then light red-gold for the last 6 inches of my hair and I'm waiting for the salon to open Tuesday to get it fixed.

If you have light brown hair or never-colored hair I do not see why this kit wouldn't work for you. Those of us with darker hair or previously dyed hair would do well to spend the money up front to have a professional do the job right the first time. Lesson learned.

3 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 2/5/2012 11:33:00 PM More reviews by ninalinska

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

It's been a journey! Back in the day (waaaay back) I used to highlight my hair with peroxide and a hair dryer or lemon juice in the sun. Fast-forward a couple of decades and I'd used the paint-on highlights but just use a comb with the mixture brushed into the teeth. Worked fine for me and as the grays increased, it would camouflage them. I finally reached a point where I felt I had earned the right to be spoiled and have my hair done professionally. So, I found someone last summer who did a fabulous, natural-looking foil job on my medium to light brown hair. I wanted golden highlights and that's exactly what I got. I went back in the fall expecting the same thing. She took it upon herself to not only highlight but actually color (blond) some of the gray. So I ended up way too blonde, and a brassy blonde at that (I have a very strong red tendency). I was too upset to go back and have her fix it, so I got a semi-perm color. It was too light. I tried a darker color. And another one a couple of weeks later. It was ok but too monotone for my taste. So, after a few weeks I tried Coleur Experte. The highlights were too subtle and as time went on the color still washed out to a reddish medium/light brown. Not a horrible color but not what I wanted. And there are the brown roots with grays coming in..oh what to do? I want my highlights! So, I decided to try the Frost and Design (Frost and Glow by Revlon is not for use on color treated hair) with the cap. I had only used the cap on a friend in college but figured with some patience I could do myself. It took me about an hour to pull small (metal hook) strands through every other hole starting about halfway up the back of my head. Probably left it on about 30 mins total checking every 10 mins and they looked so blonde I was nervous. BTW the cap is very cheap. After washing and toning, I finally have my golden-highlights and plan to redo every two months to help grow out the color-treated hair. It looks totally natural and (so far) my hair is not falling apart. It's been through a lot too! Love this stuff and a lot less expensive than my $150 disaster. BTW I used champagne because I wanted to make sure I got all the red out.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/15/2011 12:06:00 AM More reviews by woodsy3

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I rarely do reviews, but I am so pleased with the results of this product, that I simply must. I purchased this in the champagne color and was too afraid to use it for nearly a year. I've paid anywhere from $180 to $400 for highlights at a salon and over the last year or so I have not been happy with the results. I always left with a line of demarcation, the wrong tone, etc. SO, I decided what the hell..let's give it a try. My husband assisted in pulling the hair through(every hole) which took approx. an hour. Then applied the mixture and left on for 35 min. I have the most beautiful, platinum, non-brassy highlights. I am overjoyed and feel foolish for wasting so much money at the salon. Background: I have mid-back length, thick, previously highlighted, healthy hair. I will continue to purchase this item....

rated 1 of 5 on 8/14/2011 12:19:00 PM More reviews by neds2k

i saw alot of good reviews on frost and design so i decided to give a try, i never used a box highlighting kit, so i gave it a try. the worst decision i could have made! it came out to look really blonde/ messy and very bad, the color wasnt even toned down after using the toner. thank god for the marinello beauty school, i went early morning at 9 to get my hair fixed after this disaster and till 5 pm, i was fixed, toned,corrective color, toned again, foiled with all over highlights, toned again and finally got not too blonde highlights,, when i walked in all the students looked at me and wonder what i did to my hair, i told them i used the box highlighting kit. the picture shown on a box is not very a good example of how your hair will look.
i will never ever use the box kits to highlight my hair. that was horrible, and very damaging