October 30, 2014 | 1719 users online

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/7/2012 9:06:00 PM More reviews by threejane

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Oh my GOD

I finally found my perfect matte brown eyeshadow. And...whaaaat? It's MAYBELLINE?

Okay, so I'm *ahem* older. I'm 41. What does that mean, class? (everyone in unison) WRINKLES!!! Nooo, not wrinkles...well, yes those too, but CREPEY LIDS. Crinkly, like seersucker (or plissé, if you're really old).

And what is Kryptonite for crepey lids? SHIMMER. If you're a blue-eyed, bright shadow wimp like me, you tend to stick to browns. You know, brown+blue=pop! Ostensibly. Even if I could find a nice brown shadow without shimmer (and they're damnably rare, let me tell you), another problem rears up...

Just about every.damn.brown.shadow out there had RED undertones. The kind that make you look like you've been up all night, sniffing coke and eyeballing guys with questionable morals. (Do people even snort coke any more? I haven't been on scene in sooo long...anyway...)

In comes Maybelline with their three buck Mocha (something or other) eyeshadow single. I'm too lazy to get off the bed and give you the exact name. But it has the word "Mocha" in it. Hey, I said I'm old. And I had knee surgery too...okay, it was three months ago. I'm just lazy.

I'm in Wal Mart, doing the bimonthly family shopping trip, with an enormously bulging basket, wanting to buy SOMETHING for myself, so I grabbed this, registered it was essentially matte, and threw it on top of the other stuff. I didn't have high hopes, not at all.

A few days later, I actually have a few minutes to futz with my makeup, so I start playing. And holy cow, here's a buildable, mostly matte brown with NO RED TONES. I can use it as a wash of color, darken it at the outer corners, wet it as eyeliner, yikes holycrapnoWAY!!! Hubby heard my uncharacteristic squealing in the bathroom,and came charging in, ready to kill whatever fearsome beastie was threatening his woman. When I explained it was the eyeshadow, you can imagine the look I got.

Men. They just don't understand. After all those hours with him, spent looking for the perfect...whatever...for his car/motorcycle/computer, you'd think he'd GET my makeup obsession. But no.

Downside is (and isn't there always a downside) that it will crease - and formidably so - if you don't use a primer. I do, and problem solved. I have finally found a matte-ish (and I keep saying that because it has the lightest of satin finishes, but no shimmer) brown shadow to pair with my WNW HG, Brulee, and I've dropped at least three steps from my makeup routine. I've noticed that as I have gotten older, I still want to look pretty...I just don't want to spend an hour doing it. Thumbs up and five lippes.

13 out of 13 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/26/2011 4:11:00 AM More reviews by pjw1209

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have many of this shadows ~ Earthly Taupe, Champagne Fizz, Linen, Tranquil Sands, Silver Lining, Silken Taupe and Antique Jade. The lighter shades are actually the best highlighters that I have found.

My two favorites are Earthly Taupe and Champagne Fizz. Earthly Taupe is great for a naked matte look as an all over color wash. It works perfectly with eyeliner for a no makeup look. Champagne Fizz was a matte shade, but the newest one I purchased was shimmer, which is a total disappointment. This was may favorite brow highlight. These shades are getting harder and harder to find. It appears that Maybelline is pushing their quads vs. single shades.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/28/2011 12:09:00 AM More reviews by itscake4me

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have three of these eye shadows and I have to say they are decent. They aren't amazing, but for the price, I think they work well. I have two shimmery shades (a green and a light brown) and one matte shade (a dark brown.) I have to say that the shimmery shades seem a little easier to apply, for whatever reason. However, all of these shadows are pretty easy to blend and they are pigmented fairly well. They staying power isn't perfect, but some primer makes them last. I keep the sponge applicators that come with these, and when I really want staying power and bright color, I'll wet the applicators and then apply.
Overall, these aren't bad at all, especially for the price. I keep my matte brown shade in my purse for touch ups and it had really come in handy at times :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/5/2010 9:51:00 PM More reviews by Parchipexx

I have TONS of eyeshadow sets, and the majority of them are from Maybelline Expert Eyes. The colors are great and show up very well; are easy to blend and work with. My favorite sets are Grey Matters, Rose Tints, Crown Jewels, and Catty Eyes (haven't seen that last one in any store in a long time though). Whenever I'm looking for a new set of eyeshadow, I usually turn to Maybelline Expert Eyes. The only faults I find with it are the packaging- the shape of the tin makes it impossible to keep them stacked neatly in my cosmetics box, and sometimes the sponge on the applicator splits in half. (The packaging is the reason I rated this a 4). The eyeshadows definitely make up for this though and are totally worth it :)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2010 12:47:00 PM More reviews by Seadoo

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Other

Review for Champagne Fizz. This is a beautiful skin toned shadow. It creates a lovely neutral eye base by evening out minor discoloration. Perfect to apply other shadow over or leave as is. It is called matte, but is not a true matte, there is just enough glow to it to keep it from looking powdery and flat. Packaging is not very good, but price and shadow is.

rated 2 of 5 on 6/3/2010 7:18:00 PM More reviews by lectriceye

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I found these at the dollar store of all places. I bought a dark teal color that I though would be pretty. This stuff doesn't have very much pigmentation, so the color showed up more of a light Jade color. Luckily I've been wanting a light color like that so I wasn't that disappointed! Not a horrible eyeshadow but there are better. I would pay a buck, but that's about it.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2010 6:08:00 PM More reviews by TRACYwashere

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I got these eye shadows on sale. I bought a purple, aqua blue color, darker blue, a green, & a silver. What a waste of money! The colors look pretty but it does not show up like that on my eye. It's spotty & sheer. It takes a lot of eye shadow packed on to get some color. I was pretty disappointed . Wouldn't buy again.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/14/2010 1:46:00 PM More reviews by staronstage89

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

I love these eyeshadows! I have them in tons of colors and I use most of them a lot. It's true that some of them are very unpigmented, but most of them show up very well. My favorite one is in Sparkling Wine, which is a brown-maroon color with gold shimmer. It's a gorgeous color and the pigmentation as great!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2010 6:08:00 PM More reviews by shannon02013

You get what you pay for. You can't spend $4 on an eyeshadow and expect it to be like a mac shadow. This is a decent shadow. Sure you may have to use a little more to make it show up as well, but it does last pretty well and they do have so pretty colors. I would recommend this for a color you're not sure you'd like to try out or for someone who is a beginner to makeup.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/6/2010 9:57:00 PM More reviews by cara26

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Blue

So, I dont know what everyone elses problem is with this product but I LOVE these shadows. I have so many of the singles and quads. They are VERY pigmented! I always apply my eyeshadows wet or with primer under them which I dont know why anyone wouldnt. Most shadow dont last very long or show up very well without a little bit of water or primer! These are extremely cheap and they work well if you apply them like i stated above. When done that way it lasts ALL day without creasing and also the color stays true! AND its so affordably that you can get alot of colors! Look out for coupons in the paper also to make them even cheaper!