July 30, 2014 | 2095 users online

Mascara - Merle Norman - Luxiva Xtra Length Mascara

rated 4 of 5 on 9/3/2011 12:11:00 AM More reviews by hernana

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have been using this mascara for about two years. I have thin, fine, medium length eyelashes that are very difficult to work with. Plus, I'm super sensitive to how a mascara feels on my lashes, and many mascaras are either uncomfortable or cause a reaction. With the Luxiva Xtra Length mascara, I seem to have found the right balance between having no effect and having too much effect or being too heavy. Regular volumizing mascaras weigh my lashes down and drive me crazy; this one doesn't, yet it still gives a fair amount of volume. It does a superior job of lengthening - I can't think of any other mascara I've used (and I've used them all, from high end to drugstore) that does a better job of lengthening. The only caveat I have about this product is that it occasionally clumps and will require having the brush wiped off. For the result and comfortable wear I get with this mascara, it's an easy trade-off.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/18/2010 5:05:00 PM More reviews by taranaswell

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this product now they have changed the brush. The Xtra Black is wonderful. Separates the lashes but still makes them look dramatic. Can't go without this product.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/1/2010 8:06:00 PM More reviews by dollief

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Great lengthening mascara that also thickens. Stays all day, does not smear or flake. Makes even me look like I have lashes. Wonderful brush for those who prefer thinner, longer brushes rather than the current craze for extremely FAT brushes. BUT....Voluminous is just as good, possibly better, and is under 10 bucks, whereas I paid $18 for this. So.... won't repurchase. EDIT 8.21.10 -- ran out of this and had to go back to Voluminous, and there is no comparision. Beginning to think it might be worth the $18 it costs where I live.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2009 7:44:00 AM More reviews by jogun11

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received this product as part of a free gift. Having run out of my favorite mascara, Max Factor volume couture, I decided to try it. I really am loving it! Definitely gives lots of length and I think volume too, though I do have thick but invisible eye lashes. I will have to get another tube of volume couture though and compare. Will keep you posted.

rated 1 of 5 on 4/13/2008 12:30:00 AM More reviews by lovemylippie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've never been so disappointed with a mascara as much as I have with this one. It's just an expensive version of Maybelline Great Lash IMO. The brush is different though. It's very long, too long actually. It's a thin conical shape which I love but the formula is so wet and it takes the curl out of my lashes, which I work so hard to get. Then it just smears all over my eyelids. When I apply the second coat my lashes just clump, blah ! ! I'll stick to my CG lash exact and L'oreal full definition voluminous. I am a huge lover of Merle Norman lip products though !

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2007 11:59:00 PM More reviews by spiritchik21

Love this mascara!! No, it's not waterproof. It has a thin brush, made with hollow plastic bristles that make your lashes look great! I never have problems with clumping, and it seems like my lashes stand straight up whenever I use this. It makes them look false because it seperates and lengthens so much! Definitely my favorite mascara ever!!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/4/2007 9:35:00 PM More reviews by luckycorvettegrl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I just received Merle Norman's Xtra Length Mascara in one of their free gifts, and as a mascara junkie was pretty excited to try it.

I haven't favored many of the mascaras out there that are just for lengthening lashes because I'm used to a fairly heavy mascara that will give me some body, but wanted to try a few to see what the new hype was about.

I have to say that Merle's new mascara is very nice, and a very good price point compared so some of the expensive department store brands. The sample was in Xtra Black, which is what I would normally wear in a mascara, and it glided on very easily, and I could definitely see some length. I like the fact that the brush was still somewhat thick- I found that a lot of other brands think that to have long lashes means they need to make skinnier brushes- this is not the case. You can still get some fullness with the brush, and it does lengthen quite a bit. I'm interested to go back and see what other colors the mascara comes in other than the Xtra Black.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2006 5:39:00 PM More reviews by msdi2u

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I don't agree that this mascara is deserving of a 5-star (or lippie) rating; but when it comes to mascara, I have learned that everyone can feel very differently about the same product. All a matter of opinion and individual needs and likes.My feeling about Luxiva Xtra Length Mascara is, this is a little better than average, but certainly NOT the best mascara I have ever tried. It lengthens, but not as much as a few others I have tried (ie. MAC Zoom Lash, Maybelline's Lash Discovery, Clinique's Lash Doubling... just to name a few). Also, this mascara applies "wetter" than some others I prefer, which always leaves a mess that I have to clean up with a dampened Q-Tip after application. No matter how careful I am, I can't get away from those smudges! After the smudges, I find myself having to deal with the flakes this mascara tends to leave behind as the day goes on. Everytime I look in a mirror, I find little black specks around my eyes and on top of my cheeks. Sometimes, even on the sides of my nose! I say this mascara is better than average- despite my dissatisfaction with the smudges and flakes- because this mascara does build decent length, which is something alot of other mascaras I have tried have failed to do- despite their claims. This is one of the features I appreciate in a mascara, which is why I gave this a favorable rating. However, becuz of the messiness involved with this not-so-cheap mascara... I would not repurchase. Sorry, Merle Norman. :o( continued >>

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/26/2006 10:35:00 PM More reviews by tommicat10

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

The sales associate in the Merle Norman store had the most fabulous eyelashes I'd ever seen. I asked her what she was wearing and she said it was this new xtra length mascara. I asked to try some on. I couldn't believe how thick and long my skimpy eyelashes looked. I was amazed. I didn't buy any yet because I have several tubes I need to use up first. This MN mascara was awhole lot better than any I've ever used and I've tried many.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/18/2006 9:36:00 AM More reviews by lawyerlicious

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I really like this mascara. I bought it in two colors, Xtra Black and Violet. I knew I wanted the black, so I tried the Violet and the Navy in the store. The Violet is beautiful, really dark, almost black, and it looks great with my Aubergine Creme Eyeliner. I wasn't impressed with the Navy. It looked pretty on the brush, but it was too light. I couldn't tell I had anything on. I like the way my lashes look with this, not clumpy, kind of shiny, and the brush is tapered so I can get into the corners with it. Also, I find that I don't get the dark rings under my eyes with it. I will definitely continue to use this mascara.