August 20, 2014 | 1049 users online

Polishes - Urban Decay - Brick House

rated 2.0(1 review)

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2006 4:52:00 PM More reviews by fivezero

It pains me to give this polish a 2 lippie rating, because Brick House is one of the most gorgeous colours I own. However, it was beyond irritating getting this polish to apply properly!

First, the colour. It's a deep, dark, browned red creme with slight burgundy tones which really come out when you layer the polish to get it darker. The finish is rich and glossy, and the colour achieves a lovely depth.

The application, unfortunately, was murder. The first time I tried it, over OPI Natural Nail Base Coat, it glopped and streaked everywhere, no matter how careful I tried to be. Additional coats would not even out the previous streaks. One main problem was that the polish seemed to "set" very quickly, so I couldn't even out glops and streaks once they had been placed on the nail. I applied three coats and it just looked terrible, so I took it all off and decided to start again.

Before I tried a second time, I added a few drops of Sally Hansen Nail Polish Thinner to Brick House, hoping to reduce the gloppiness. Then I put on a different base coat, Orly Bonder. This time, Brick House applied a little better. I still had to do three coats to achieve respectability, and if I look carefully, I can still see some parts on my nails where it didn't cover evenly. But the single most annoying thing to me about having to use three coats of Brick House was that the colour was absolutely perfect with two coats. It was exactly the colour in the bottle—brilliant. But streaky. So a third coat eliminated most of the streakiness, but then the colour was too deep.

Maybe I just got a bum bottle, but based on this, I would not ever, ever repurchase this shade. Maybe it's just UD's cremes, because the shimmers and frosts I have from them apply really nicely.

Boy, do I love the colour, though. I recently got a bottle of E.L.F. polish in "Rachel's Brick House", which, swatched on a nail wheel, looks just a bit darker than Brick House. I would be over the moon if that $1 polish (albeit in a very small bottle) applied and looked better than UD's. We'll see...!

Click for my pic (with Essie Non-Yellowing Top Coat over it). continued >>